GMan

Camaro concept coming to Detroit!

65 posts in this topic

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean Autoweek is usually right on with their "scoops" and I'm thrilled that we'll be using the Kappa+ chasssis. This means lightweight but sturdy mechanicals and low cost.

FKUCING YES! :metal: Edited by Sixty8panther

This is still rumor and speculation, but given the source, it's a bit more exciting than normal. Stretch Kappa? I will laugh so hard if this ends up looking like my 3-4 year old Camaro proposal (which basically looks like a hardtop Solstice with 3rd Gen Camaro cues)

If '09 is right then this "concept" will be in design freeze and could change drastically in the next three years. The overall process after design freeze is three years. I sincerely hope they are showing a glossed up version of the '07/'08 model and not a pie-in-the-sky '09!

Just to let ya'll chew on this. I think Scott said the chassis the concept will be on will not be the actual chassis the car is actually built on. Its very common for a concept to be sitting on something totally different than what what it will be built on. Also from what I've heard building it on a stretched kappa would be terribley inefficient, a waste of resources, and not feasible.

If '09 is right then this "concept" will be in design freeze and could change drastically in the next three years.  The overall process after design freeze is three years.  I sincerely hope they are showing a glossed up version of the '07/'08 model and not a pie-in-the-sky '09!

[post="46776"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A 2009MY vehicle can go on sale Jan 1, 2008. That's about 2 years away.

I've got to say after a week in the Solstice more money spent on this platform would be advisable. If the ride height was higher, the body a tad bigger and the engine completely replaced, the camaro on kappa would be amazing. The solstice handles everything so well and the chassis is by far the best part. There's just a lot of ergonomic issues with the Solstice you'd have to answer in a high volume model like a camaro. And upgrade many of the bin parts (everything but the stereo and a/c controls please). If they can keep a v6 under $20 and the V8 at $25 like the mustang and it has some decent looks, a la the solstice, it would kill. And I'm not a GM guy. Dave

Just because the concept is on Kappa doesn't mean the production version has to be on Kappa. I'm not hinting at anything here (this is not based on any inside info), I'm just pointing out that just because it's on Kappa doesn't mean the production version couldn't be on a different platform.

We know it would be rather expensive to strech Kappa to accomodate two rows of seats, and we've seen two rows of seats on Kappa concepts, so it's not as if the Camaro concept being on Kappa means we will see a streched Kappa with two rows. Then again, maybe getting a Camaro Kappa plus some others (Pontiac sedan, Nomad, etc.) would make the investment needed to strech Kappa make business sense.

Concept or production?

[post="46960"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'd say neither. Edited by Chazman

I am very excited, but terribly nervous. After such a long build up, what direction GM decides to take the Comaro in will say a lot about the company. Right now, with all thats going on with the company, they need to be looking forward. If they wheel out something thats effectively a '69 with big wheels and no chrome than there's surely no hope. Please no tacky retro!

Without questioning what Chazman has to say, he's an excellent source, the Camaro might not be on Kappa Plus, but it could still be encouraging they are showing us something on Kappa plus, if indeed Camaro concept is on kappa. I still doubt this will happen to, but autoweek talking about it is just more positive news, right? Edited by turbo200

I am very excited, but terribly nervous. After such a long build up, what direction GM decides to take the Comaro in will say a lot about the company.
Right now, with all thats going on with the company, they need to be looking forward.

If they wheel out something thats effectively a '69 with big wheels and no chrome than there's surely no hope. Please no tacky retro!

[post="47078"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You have to remember 1 name and 1 name only.

Bob Lutz.

To everyone who didn't beleve it, I have two words: UP YOURS! :D Anyhow, it's good to hear the Camaro is making a return. I wonder what this will look like? (Bad assed, I hope.) Edited by anorexorcist

Without questioning what Chazman has to say, he's an excellent source, the Camaro might not be on Kappa Plus, but it could still be encouraging they are showing us something on Kappa plus, if indeed Camaro concept is on kappa. I still doubt this will happen to, but autoweek talking about it is just more positive news, right?

[post="47088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and GM has some Kappa-esque platform like the Torana's in the works for the Camaro. That would just make my day. Because, quite frankly, I have no idea how GM is going to get a LARGE sedan and a smaller ponycar to share the same platform.

Chrysler is about to do it with the Challenger.

[post="47131"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, but that's going to be a pretty big, hefty coupe. Ok for a Challenger, intolerable (from my perspective), for a Camaro.

I hope this information is accurate. That would be sooo sweet! Just imagine what GM could do with it. Since Kappa platform is very similar to the C6, I assume similar engine upgrades would be in the works if the Camaro went into production. Ford would have a really hard time trying to stay ahead of chevy.

:blink: :o :) :lol: Thats awesome!!! Can't wait to see it. // c0ld_phuz10n

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor