Poll: Which American city is right for you?

Answer the multiple choice questions and it kicks out the city that is best suited for you...

Link to Blogthings - American city that's a best fit for you

Then there's another one...it's which city you are most like...

Link to Blogthings - American city you are most like

I've got a problem here.

As for the city that's a best fit, I took this quiz (#1) and manipulated the 3 questions which I'm "on the fence" about and still get:

1) Atlanta (duh...I lived there and loved it)

2) Honolulu (no interest in living in Hawaii)

3) Las Vegas (eh...for a weekend)

4) Miami (like the area a lot)

5) Austin (don't know much about it, but I've heard good things)

As for the city that's most like me, this quiz (#2) gives only one answer, and it said:

1) Boston (based on their criteria, I could see that)

What answers do you get?

Seattle and Colorado springs, course when I played with the answeres I also got Austin which is a cool place but still to far south and hot for me. So I am right where I am supposed to be. :D

Seattle and Colorado springs, course when I played with the answeres I also got Austin which is a cool place but still to far south and hot for me. So I am right where I am supposed to be. :D

Mine came up with Honolulu, Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, and San Diego as the top choices. Been to all, I like aspects of all of them, some more than others.

I've lived in Colorado Springs, beautiful location, but Denver fits me much better.

Edited by Cubical

Mine came up with Honolulu, Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, and San Diego as the top choices. Been to all, I like aspects of all of them, some more than others.

I've lived in Colorado Springs, beautiful location, but Denver fits me much better.

Funny, even when I put "West" in as the location, I still got Eastern locations.

The only variables I messed with were:

(a) air

(b) crime

© region

I still got the same Eastern locations.

I wonder if requiring the ocean and indifference as to ownership will bring up PDX, SEA, LAX and SAN...

75% Honolulu

70% Seattle

60% Austin

60% Denver

60% San Diego

This is the second time I've been told by a quiz that I should live in Seattle. I don't think I'd enjoy the climate as much. As you know I'm a Southwesterner at heart. San Diego would definitely work. I could probaly swing Austin since I liked my time in San Antonio. Even though I selected being near water as a requirement, I could do Phoenix. I'd also consider Corpus Christi.

75% Honolulu

70% Seattle

60% Austin

60% Denver

60% San Diego

This is the second time I've been told by a quiz that I should live in Seattle. I don't think I'd enjoy the climate as much. As you know I'm a Southwesterner at heart. San Diego would definitely work. I could also do Phoenix, San Antonio, or Corpus Christi (of the places I've been).

That looks very similar to my results, though mine had LA and Portland instead of Austin and Denver.

Phoenix, IMHO, looses it's appeal fast w/ the triple digit 'summer' (May-Sept) temps and the hazy silver summer skies, and ugly beige desert surroundings. Not clear, bright blue skies like high altitude Colorado Springs or Denver..

Funny, even when I put "West" in as the location, I still got Eastern locations.

The only variables I messed with were:

(a) air

(b) crime

© region

I still got the same Eastern locations.

I wonder if requiring the ocean and indifference as to ownership will bring up PDX, SEA, LAX and SAN...

Interesting...I put West.. will have to try East and see what it comes up with. The climate is the main turn off for me for the East...harsh winters and humid summers.

Edited by Cubical

75% Austin

60% Atlanta

60% Denver

55% Honolulu

55% Miami

Only one of those places I could see myself living is Atlanta.

My list was similar, with Atlanta coming out ahead...

No Charlotte NC, or Lexington KY, or other smaller yet pretty and safe cities?

Right, I wonder what the expanded list looks like...with my parameters, Charlotte or Tampa should have come up as well...and they didn't

So they have Austin and Portland, but they don't seem to have Charlotte or Sacramento which are similarly sized.

Right, I wonder what the expanded list looks like...with my parameters, Charlotte or Tampa should have come up as well...and they didn't

So they have Austin and Portland, but they don't seem to have Charlotte or Sacramento which are similarly sized.

I did not even see Jacksonville, Savannah or Charleston SC.

75% Honolulu

70% Seattle

60% Austin

60% Denver

60% San Diego

This is the second time I've been told by a quiz that I should live in Seattle. I don't think I'd enjoy the climate as much. As you know I'm a Southwesterner at heart. San Diego would definitely work. I could probaly swing Austin since I liked my time in San Antonio. Even though I selected being near water as a requirement, I could do Phoenix. I'd also consider Corpus Christi.

I don't know how you'd like Seattle (or PDX). If you are a minimally outspoken Northeasterner, you won't like these places. The So Cal folks and Northeasterners who move to the PNW don't complain about the weather, they complain about the smug people. Up north, other transplants liked me but the locals never warmed up to me...don't know why. I know you like San Diego. As for Corpus Christi, I know two people who lived there (after-college jobs) and bailed out because the intellectual level was frightening...if one could reconcile the fact that they would be on the beach and close to SoPad, then it could be ok...

Edited by trinacriabob

I don't know how you'd like Seattle (or PDX). If you are a minimally outspoken Northeasterner, you won't like these places. The So Cal folks and Northeasterners who move to the PNW don't complain about the weather, they complain about the smug people. Up north, other transplants liked me but the locals never warmed up to me...don't know why. I know you like San Diego. As for Corpus Christi, I know two people who lived there (after-college jobs) and bailed out because the intellectual level was frightening...if one could reconcile the fact that they would be on the beach and close to SoPad, then it could be ok...

Trinacriabob, sorry that my fellow PNW dweebs did not warm up to you, that is surprising considering that I was born and raised here and have always warmed to everyone. Only beef I have with out of state people is the lack of using the damn turn signal. Otherwise welcome to 9 months of cloud cover and drizzle / rain and 3 months of amazing sun and no humidity. :P

Course thinking on this now, if you live south of seattle and all the way to Tacoma, you are dealing with a bunch of smug rednecks. North of Seattle you deal with a bunch of laid back open rednecks and the east side is your smug intellectuals that think they are better than the city folks. Might be why I moved from the east side to Mountlake Terrace since I am a outgoing laidback Software Engineer. :P little bit of blue collar and white collar! :P

the east side is your smug intellectuals

I really liked the physical layout of the East Side. Where I lived, it wasn't "as Eastside," where Woodinville/Kirkland/Bothell come together, so the neighbors were ok and downtown Woodinville had some coffee places and a B&N...though too many of the neighbors had Subarus.

I think the real East Side "problem" is in Medina, Bellevue (west of Bellevue Way), Kirkland, and "new" Issaquah. All one has to do is set a foot in Bellevue Square. :mind-blowing:

I really liked the physical layout of the East Side. Where I lived, it wasn't "as Eastside," where Woodinville/Kirkland/Bothell come together, so the neighbors were ok and downtown Woodinville had some coffee places and a B&N...though too many of the neighbors had Subarus.

I think the real East Side "problem" is in Medina, Bellevue (west of Bellevue Way), Kirkland, and "new" Issaquah. All one has to do is set a foot in Bellevue Square. :mind-blowing:

Very True, I grew up in Kirkland when it was still a small town and still work in downtown kirkland up till the company closed.

Over all I like the kirkland / Bothell / Woodinville area and all the wineries. :P Course nothing like a good concert at St. Michell winery during the summer. :D

Some day I might move back into that area, but for now I am happy here in Mountlake Terrace.

70% Austin

60% Honolulu

55% Atlanta

55% Denver

55% Miami

Yeah... no. Out of them all, I like Denver, but there's no ocean, so forget it.

You and I can't like the same cities...it just can't be...:lol:

Honolulu and Miami are both very interesting...I've been to both within the last 2 years, and spent quite a bit of time in Miami and S. Florida when I lived in the Keys for 6 years. Not sure if I'd want to live full time in either, though, both are kind of geographically isolated and more fun/touristy than serious business or technology hubs..

80% Chicago, thats a shock, not like I was born there or used to live there or anything.

65% Washington, DC

65% New York City

65% Philadelphia

60% Boston

I could probably do D.C. but NYC, Philly and Boston and too "northeast" for me.

75% Austin

60% Atlanta

60% Denver

55% Honolulu

55% Miami

Only one of those places I could see myself living is Atlanta.

Lived in Atlanta, it is both awesome and a great place to live.

Chris

It was weird that I got there by "accident." With the company I had applied to, I had "checked the box" for Miami. I was told that they didn't have a position in South Florida, but that I could work in Atlanta. Coming from LA, I had no frame of reference. Miami looks "kind of" similar. So, I got to take a trip to Atlanta, interviewed and then drove around. I drove inward from the Perimeter (I-285) on LaVista Road, through the Emory area, and then onto Briarcliff into downtown. It was like driving through a forest. I thought: OMG. Sign me up. And that's I how I got to live in the ATL for a couple of years. Should have never left.

Chris

Heard it's pretty nice...know a couple people in the area (Marietta), but I've really only been through the airport a couple times and around the freeway beltline when doing the Ohio<->Florida drives years ago...

Rob

Miami is the right city for me, but Los Angeles is the city most like me. This makes sense to me - South Beach is my favorite place on earth, and I loved the Los Angeles area when I went there in 2006.

Miami is the right city for me, but Los Angeles is the city most like me. This makes sense to me - South Beach is my favorite place on earth, and I loved the Los Angeles area when I went there in 2006.

I remember that. Rented Cadillac DTS, right?

Austin right for and Austin is city most like me.

I'm curious about this - Houston doesn't show up on anyone's list. I like Houston ok. But everyone bitches "oh, it's so damn humid."

With Austin being slightly west of Houston and at a similar latitude, is there THAT much difference in the weather? I've only passed through Austin in early summer once (to check out UT for grad school - too effin' big at 50,000 students) and I recall that it was pretty damn hot.

Edited by trinacriabob

I'm curious about this - Houston doesn't show up on anyone's list. I like Houston ok. But everyone bitches "oh, it's so damn humid."

With Austin being slightly west of Houston and at a similar latitude, is there THAT much difference in the weather? I've only passed through Austin in early summer once (to check out UT for grad school - too effin' big at 50,000 students) and I recall that it was pretty damn hot.

Never been to Houston, but everyone I know says it's the pits. My sister worked there for a while on a contract, hated it..have a couple friends in Denver that moved from there.

I've never spent much time in Texas...too much of a red state for me...had a job offer about 10 years ago in the Dallas area (Addison), flew down there for a few days, checked out, didn't like it...too flat. Austin I've heard is very nice, but never been there. I just don't care for the South in general, other than S. Florida and the Keys, which is really different from the rest of the South.

Edited by Cubical