Windows 7 pre-order half price

I have Windows 7 64-bit loaded on one of my hard drives. I messed around with it a bit one evening. I like the interface for the most part, and I imagine if I use it enough I will eventually be able to move around and use it as proficiently as XP. But for some reason I just can't leave XP, it feels like home.

When I get a computer fast enough to run Windows 7, I will be using Eagle Mode instead.

That's a neat idea. It looks like it needs a LOT of refinement though, as the interface looks pretty ugly and rough, and their website doesn't do them any favors either.

Windows 7 is much less resource intensive than Vista. People are reporting using it on Pentium 3 systems.

Windows 7 is much less resource intensive than Vista. People are reporting using it on Pentium 3 systems.

Actually, I've heard a report of it running on a Pentium 2 system. ;) I have it on my desktop, and am about ready to put it on my laptop that currently has Vista.

I would be doing one of these preorders, but I'd kinda rather have a full version instead of the upgrade. I might have to check into whether I could just slipstream a disk using my vista and/or XP disk plus the upgrade disk, so I'm not having to mess with 2 disks for an install. But yeah, so far Win7 rocks. Only downside I have found is that HP never made a vista driver for my laserjet printer, and thus it (so far) refuses to work with Win7. I may still find a way to rig it... I've only barely scratched the surface of conversations online about how to make it work.

I have Windows 7 64-bit loaded on one of my hard drives. I messed around with it a bit one evening. I like the interface for the most part, and I imagine if I use it enough I will eventually be able to move around and use it as proficiently as XP. But for some reason I just can't leave XP, it feels like home.

That's a neat idea. It looks like it needs a LOT of refinement though, as the interface looks pretty ugly and rough, and their website doesn't do them any favors either.

I too have felt very at home with XP, but now that I've go Windows 7 64bit I can't go back. The interface just rocks. I love how the GUI works now, and the speed alone is worth the price of admission. My computer takes about 45 seconds from power on to entering Windows, and that's with the boot priority still set to CD and having to type in a password. My machine feels so much faster being able to finally harness 64 bit processing power and drivers, as well as my 4 gigs of Ram the XP 32 wouldn't read.

Actually, I've heard a report of it running on a Pentium 2 system. ;) I have it on my desktop, and am about ready to put it on my laptop that currently has Vista.

I would be doing one of these preorders, but I'd kinda rather have a full version instead of the upgrade. I might have to check into whether I could just slipstream a disk using my vista and/or XP disk plus the upgrade disk, so I'm not having to mess with 2 disks for an install. But yeah, so far Win7 rocks. Only downside I have found is that HP never made a vista driver for my laserjet printer, and thus it (so far) refuses to work with Win7. I may still find a way to rig it... I've only barely scratched the surface of conversations online about how to make it work.

I wasn't too keen on the thought of having to do 2 installs, but from what I understand talking with others, you clean install with the upgrade disk, and just verify your preexisting copy of Windows by entering the old serial. Vista users can upgrade without losing their files and stuff, but XP owners will end up with a clean install...not a problem for me since I like clean installs.

As for HP...my 2175 All-in-one doesn't have Windows 7 drivers, but Windows installed generic printer drivers, all I had to do was plug it in and it took all of 30 seconds...which is so much better than the normal, tedious printer installations.

The only problem I've noticed so far is the printer prints blank pages when I try to print from a PDF in a web browser (I've only tried from Firefox and IE8 so far). I haven't really tried to troubleshoot the problem yet.

Just tested the scanner, works without a problem.

I've bought 2 copies already off of Amazon. They will be delivered to my door on release day. I got professional for my work laptop and will be RID OF VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and one for my new home box that is running the RC.

almost inspires vista 'burning' parties. it certainly deserves to be torched in that fashion.

someone i know says ubuntu is good and a great way to avoid funding the microsoft empire. is it at a minimum that ok?

You can do anything you want except game on Ubuntu and it works well on older hardware. For the most part, everything "just works". It was actually easier to install an apple airport network printer in Ubuntu than in either version of windows.

I dual boot my old IBM T42 between XP and Ubuntu 9.04. I had to rebuild the machine lately for work reasons. With XP, I installed it and then spent hours downloading updates and trying to find drivers. With Ubuntu, I installed it, configured the wireless network, did one download of updates that took less than 5 minutes, and I was done.

That said. I LOVE Windows 7. I'm running the 64-bit edition on a P4 with 4 gigs of ram and it's fast. I only had one driver issue and that was with my Samsung color laser printer. It took some hacking, but I got the driver to install and it works.

Nice to see PurdueGuy and aaaantoine! I new Windows 7 would bring good things to all!

I actually surprised myself by reemerging here... What with all the goings on at GM and with my interests shifting elsewhere, my enthusiasm for General Motors is at an all-time low.

That said, I'd still take a Chevy over a Toyota any day. :smilewide:

someone i know says ubuntu is good and a great way to avoid funding the microsoft empire. is it at a minimum that ok?

Ubuntu is just fine if all you do is browse the web. Its SUPER fast with marginal resource usage.

Also, when you use any Linux-based OS, you get the following additional benefits:

- Access to a lot more Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) applications, if you're into that sort of thing. Let me explain. Whenever I would try to find a specific type of application for Windows, it would usually be unavailable without purchase or it would be trialware (basically, money or a crack required). When I do the same search in Linux, commercial software is the exception, not the rule. And the free stuff usually does a pretty good job for what I need, which is not bad considering what I paid for it. :)

- In addition to being more obscure (less often targeted by malicious attacks), Linux has a built in security model that up until Vista & Windows 7 Microsoft couldn't even touch. As long as you don't run everything as root (Administrator) and -- like in the Windows world, choose your download sources and applications carefully -- your computer will never need Antivirus software.

- In the case of distributions like Ubuntu, surprisingly easy to use and install. See Oldsmoboi's post.

By the way, this is what I meant by shifting interests. :P

Edited by aaaantoine

That said. I LOVE Windows 7. I'm running the 64-bit edition on a P4 with 4 gigs of ram and it's fast. I only had one driver issue and that was with my Samsung color laser printer. It took some hacking, but I got the driver to install and it works.

Since when did the Pentium 4 support x64? I know Willamette, Northwood, and prescotts didn't have instruction sets of it.

Personally I havent been happy with win 7 I think people are just excited that its not called vista. I prefer Vista over Win 7 and XP at the moment. Once you figure out vista it becomes predictable and reliable. For example where I work at now, Theres about 100 WS's 25 are unix based so i dont give a crap and 25 xp, 25 vista, 15 win 2k, 10 win 7. On average a XP image lasts 4-5 months before it gets craped up. Our vista images have been running steady for a year and a half only 2 need to be reimaged so far. However server 08 BLOWS. 03 FTW.

If you only use your computer for internet, email, and office type stuff. BSD's and Linux is fine. Ubuntu is a great distro. Its also very simple to install and use and has great support on many forums.

whats better for a cheap netbook? ubuntu or xp? target has 10" eepc's with xp for 249 this week.

I have a netbook with XP, and I'd go with it over Ubuntu because it's a familiar interface, and it's also compatible with pretty much everything.

You guys have convinced me. :)

I need to build a couple of machines before the end of this year (one for me, one for the wife). Please believe I will be installing 7 and not Vista.

Edited by Lamar

• 2 weeks later...

You fellas get the bugs worked-out and I'll be listening.

I recently bought an HP HDX which came with the free '7' upgrade. (when released) HAL told me that my Hard Drive was going to go complete failure in less than 20 hours. Three weeks old and this happens. I called HP on Monday, the return container arrived Tuesday, I shipped the unit (pre-paid; overnight) to HP that same afternoon. HP alerted me to every milestone as the machine wended its way through the labyrinthine maze of Fed Ex and the HP repair network. Very admirable. I received my nearly new computer by Fed Ex Friday at Noon. Less than 70 hours from the time I sent it out.

I recently bought an HP HDX which came with the free '7' upgrade. (when released) HAL told me that my Hard Drive was going to go complete failure in less than 20 hours. Three weeks old and this happens. I called HP on Monday, the return container arrived Tuesday, I shipped the unit (pre-paid; overnight) to HP that same afternoon. HP alerted me to every milestone as the machine wended its way through the labyrinthine maze of Fed Ex and the HP repair network. Very admirable. I received my nearly new computer by Fed Ex Friday at Noon. Less than 70 hours from the time I sent it out.

I had a hard drive failure on my HP laptop. My experience was not as quick as yours. I was out a computer for a week.

HAL is the name of my main computer too ... :P