New 2010 Saab 9-5

That's the same 'right-angle' dash layout, complete w/ Pontiac-esque sq-footage of vents that saab has been twiddling with since the 1980s! Imagine if --say-- Cadillac was still pawning off their 1984 dashes today ! How this escapes widespread comment defies explaination.

That's the same 'right-angle' dash layout, complete w/ Pontiac-esque sq-footage of vents that saab has been twiddling with since the 1980s! Imagine if --say-- Cadillac was still pawning off their 1984 dashes today ! How this escapes widespread comment defies explaination.

Because, which I would imagine you of all people know, it's all about the details.

I really like the interior and the wheels. The exterior I'm not sure of, need to see better photos.

Best Saab interior ever.

RE: the exterior - It looks like they tried to toe the line between "quirky" and "mainstream near lux" in an attempt to keep the Saab purists that are left while trying to pull people away from traditional near-lux Euro brands. It's like the greenhouse and the lower half of the car were designed in two separate studios before being joined together. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'd personally prefer something lower and sleeker, but I guess that is what the 9-3 will be for. If Acura can sell the fugly TL, this thing should have no problem moving off lots.

I like it...distinctive exterior, nice taillight and headlight detailing. I like the greenhouse, and how the C-pillar fades into the tail. I really like the interior, esp. the dash. The dash design (not the detail) reminds me of recent Audi designs.

Probably because, just like BMW's driver-oriented cockpits, people liked it. I don't see many people praising 1984 Cadillac interiors.

Probably because, just like BMW's driver-oriented cockpits, people liked it. I don't see many people praising 1984 Cadillac interiors.

I see nothing wrong with the Saab dash...not unlike a BMW or Audi driver-oriented cockpit. Interesting details also. I see no resemblance to Pontiac vents either--I like how the vents are integrated into the trim.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Not resemblence : square footage. In, like- there's a sh!tload of venting & vent-like grillework on the dash... ALA Pontiac... and saab, 1985.

There's nothing wrong with the dash if you crave retro-reguritation. :smilewide:

But even mercedes, volvo, bmw, etc, have changed up their interior designs over time. Not here.

I will say that the exterior is a notable improvement, but finally stepping into the new millenium surface-treatment-wise may have something to do with that....

Not resemblence : square footage. In, like- there's a sh!tload of venting & vent-like grillework on the dash... ALA Pontiac... and saab, 1985.

There's nothing wrong with the dash if you crave retro-reguritation. :smilewide:

But even mercedes, volvo, bmw, etc, have changed up their interior designs over time. Not here.

The dash looks nothing like the '85 or '95 Saab interiors...those had more oval shaped instrument panels.

Rob

I think it looks great, inside and out. I love it in profile. It is sort of uniquely proportioned, but it does have some classic SAAB cues (upright windshield, curved, continuous line from backlite to taillamps), mixed with some sort of other, retro-ish proportioning. This car in pure black with tan leather will melt some SAABophile hearts, for sure.

C-Pillar/trunk looks odd, too elongated. Front looks like the Saabs they have on sale now that no one buys. That sea of gray plastic around the instrument cluster isn't helping. This is another sales dud, why buy this over a CTS or G37? Unless you love torque steer and understeer. It is a good thing GM got rid of this brand, it was a total waste of money.

C-Pillar/trunk looks odd, too elongated. Front looks like the Saabs they have on sale now that no one buys. That sea of gray plastic around the instrument cluster isn't helping. This is another sales dud, why buy this over a CTS or G37? Unless you love torque steer and understeer. It is a good thing GM got rid of this brand, it was a total waste of money.

I think it would be aimed more at Acura,Volvo, Lincoln or Buick models....i.e. FWD/AWD. It less common and more distinctive than equivalent Acura models.

If some of the renderings and illustrations that I have seen are indications of what the wagon version will look like, I think it will be the more attractive of the two 9-5 variants. The sloping rear design might look a lot better in wagon form.

Link: Saab 9-5 SportCombi Illustration

Source: Saab United

I think I would almost be persuaded to buy a Saab if the wagon turns out looking like the illustration in the link.

Edited by cire

urban landscape is dense and congested. the real scene is involving dynamism and upscale demeanor in a car design. the unique pleasantness of Saab is endearing and needed in this class of cars. CTS and G37 are not only bought by people with sporting intentions, but also those that want a competent luxury car with a luxury class ride, ample power, luxury settings, and upscale looks and features. this will be a standout because it stands out. similar to CTS in that it looks like no other but does so in a quiet fashion and strays to conservative values. singling out the CTS and G is spot on....this 9-5 is a competitor to premium entry level luxury like TL and its ilk....almost 5-series/E-class without the steep pricing. that is where saab probably will price it, also right along with where it's already been priced.

Edited by turbo200