GM Announces 6 New Models for NAIAS

mphmag

From MPH of course.
http://www.mph-online.com/web/prtranslated/00329

GM To Showcase Six New Vehicles at 2006 Detroit Auto Show
Source: GM

What They Say:
"We understand that GM's success in North America depends, more than anything else, on building great cars and trucks," said Mark LaNeve, GM vice president, Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "The world's media will see us demonstrate the intensity of our commitment to build vehicles that delight our customers."

What It Means: Talk about a "Bring It On" comment aimed squarely at the media. We know GM will deliver one vehicle at the show we'll all like. We'll hold our tongues on the other five.

Full Release:
DETROIT — General Motors plans to feature six new models, including two new concepts, for a number of its brands at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

"We understand that GM's success in North America depends, more than anything else, on building great cars and trucks," said Mark LaNeve, GM vice president, Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "The world's media will see us demonstrate the intensity of our commitment to build vehicles that delight our customers."

GM will feature the 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid, one early example of Saturn's product revitalization. GM also will preview the upcoming 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Two-mode Hybrid featuring the world's first two-mode full hybrid system in an SUV.

For premium buyers, GM will show two additional versions of the standard-bearer for luxury SUVs — the Cadillac Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT.

Two new concept vehicles also will be shown for the first time. There are no embargos for these two vehicles (the product information will be available at the time of the reveals).

Here's a quick look at GM's 2006 NAIAS production vehicle collection:

2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Two-mode Hybrid
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT and Escalade ESV

No embargoes on the 2 new concepts, eh? Why did the Camaro pics get pulled?

[post="59211"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That just means that the pics won't be available on Jan 12th at 12:01 AM, or whatever day they debut; rather they will be available when the vehicle debuts (so if they debut is set for 3:00 PM then we won't see pics until then).

What's up with only 6 new vehicle debuts? Two of them are just hybrid versions of vehicles we've already seen (so they aren't really "new") and two of them are just versions of the Escalade.

What about the Avalanche? Suburban? Lambdas? Aura? Hopefully those debut at LAIAS and will still be at NAIAS... otherwise it will be a lackluster show for GM.

This just reminded me, Cadillac hasn't had a concept in a long time. Sixteen was two years ago. Whatever happened to the large convertible they were going to show, was it last year? I'm not saying it will be a Cadillac concept, personally I'd love to see cheaper products be a focus for the show, since mainstream GMs are suffering the most.

That doesn't sound right. When does the Vue turn into the Antara by the way? Are we sure it won't be debuting already? For sure, the Lambdas will be debuting at NAIAS, and so will the Aura. What could the other concept be? Start the speculation....

[post="59322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the new Vue is supposed to be shown at New York, I'm betting the Outlook might get shown then too? Lutz or La Neve or someone said NYC Edited by jbartley

No, I don't think they'd debut a concept version of the Lambda, with it being so close to production. None of the insiders have mentioned it debuting as a concept. Also, the concept Enclave was effectively the Centieme. The best reasoning is that that would just be lame. A Chevy Lambda minivan too would also be lame, I hope it's something exciting, that we will be very surprised by it. I know Josh keeps talking about surprises at the shows this year.

So when and where are the new GMT900 pickups supposed to debut? I REALLY want to see the new GMC Sierra! I also wish the pickups had debuted BEFORE the "full size utilities" as was the case in prior redesigns...but, oh well! The extended cab please...none of this crew cab nonsense.

Acadia concept? I figured the Acadia was ready to go as a production model. Isn't it a 2007 model? I'm guessing the Outlook will debut at LA (Saturn seems to like the LA show recently), so I don't think that's one of the other two. The Buick is coming out last of the three Lambdas I think so if the Acadia is just a concept I wouldn't expect the Enclave to be there in production form. So that still leaves us two debuts to figure out.

! Thanks for the info. Unfortunate, but I'll take it.

[post="59481"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What part of this do you find unfortunate? The
Camaro concept is hidely anticipated with great
excitement. Are you referring to the other concept,
which hasn't been leaked yet?

how long before the cts and escalade were in show rooms from when they were shown as concepts?

CTS was in showrooms 01-02-02. First I personally saw of it were rooftop spy pics snapped from the filming of one of the 2 Matrix sequels.

[post="59399"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

and how much before 01-02-02 did you see the rooftop spy pics...?

I'm trying to figure out how far in advance GM is willing to show their flagships... seeing that about the time the matrix 2 came out, was the turning point for Cadillac...

what are we looking at for time between what we see and when it hits the show room...

they did a good job with the GMT900 and only giving us maybe 3-4 months seeing the whole thing at a show before it is avalible in showrooms... assuming they hit showrooms january first or second...

Vue is the green line. Hybrid version. It will look like the current refresh I'm sure. As for the other hidden release besides the Camaro. I'm not sure either. I'd expect trucks and other vehicles not announced for LA or NAIAS to be Chicago. Chicago is getting bigger every year and is always known as a "truck" show.

It's a very near production concept, not the actual production vehicle.

[post="59589"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As the Aura concept was to the Aura production vehicle (btw...when is that going to be shown?)?

I guess it's still too soon to show the actual production Acadia...bu I still don't really see the point. Edited by ichbinjohnk

I don't see why GM would show a concept Acadia, if the pre-production versions have been seen in testing... that wouldn't make sense?? And it would make sense for the Enclave to be at Chicago, it seems more its venue like the Lucerne last year. Edited by jbartley

Talk about a "Bring It On" comment aimed squarely at the media. We know GM will deliver one vehicle at the show we'll all like. We'll hold our tongues on the other five.

And I'm sure most of them will with a whole new unprecedented low of criticizing GM with formulated facts and personal insults, or little to no coverage at all (Like with the LA show last year)

GM will feature the 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid, one early example of Saturn's product revitalization. GM also will preview the upcoming 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Two-mode Hybrid featuring the world's first two-mode full hybrid system in an SUV.

I'm sure the technology isn't as good as Toyota's though... ;)

What's up with only 6 new vehicle debuts? Two of them are just hybrid versions of vehicles we've already seen (so they aren't really "new") and two of them are just versions of the Escalade.

What about the Avalanche? Suburban? Lambdas? Aura? Hopefully those debut at LAIAS and will still be at NAIAS... otherwise it will be a lackluster show for GM.

I agree...

Of course, IMO, NAIAS has been lackluster for GM since 2002 and 2003.

Tahoe hybrid.....now THAT has my interest.  If the tahoe hybrid could manage 25mpg in everyday driving, wow.

[post="59810"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, that's actually VERY likely, especially since they've said numerous times that a new '07 Tahoe 4wd gets a real world figure of 21MPG in their tests.

Any MPG improvement is always a good thing, especially in big trucks. Right now, we seem to be getting (according to the on-board DIC) a max constant of about 20-21 with a steady highway cruise in our 2wd '04 Suburban, a more typical 16-18 with the speed varied a little more, and right around 14-16 everyday around town. Matter of fact, ever since I told him how to use it, my father has become OBSESSED with driving around with the instant MPG screen on whenever he's in the Suburban, and is always trying to figure out the "ideal" way to drive...still doesn't think he'd like the Hybrid system, though.

Mom, on the other hand, who the truck actually belongs to said a Hybrid model would be awesome, but she "wouldn't want the whole turning off at red lights thing"....so the whole concept is a bit blurry to her... :rolleyes: