Saab 9-5 Rear Ended

CSpec

I was sitting a red light today when a car slammed into me, pushing me into a van in front. I didn't hear any kind of skidding, and the woman that hit me didn't even look flustered or sorry. Here are some pictures of her handiwork; the insurance adjuster on the phone said it sounded borderline total loss. It's hard to see in the pics, but the actual metal bumper is pushed in pretty far. The back is awful, and the front also has some minor damage.

img1152l.jpg

img1144psd.jpg

img1145g.jpg

img1147elj.jpg

So what do you think? Is this car repairable in any reasonable budget?

Wow Dodgefan, if they quoted you $3k for that my car is probably at least twice as high. The car is indeed drivable as I drove it home, but there sure is a hell of a lot of cosmetic damage. I'm thinking I might have to start looking for a new car. :(

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I'm OK, just a slightly sore shoulder. Just sad to think about leaving my car in a junkyard.

Sorry to see this, C-spec.

Total or not is just a function of cost vs. value.

That said, this will be an expensive repair.

What's the current book on your car?

The trade in book is $4,600 or so. Is that what they go by? If so I think the repair will go well beyond that.

If the car drives straight than that would mean the frame didn't take too bad of a hit, they would need to check to be sure it was ok (putting it on a frame machine). Then they would pull it out. Worst case would be if they couldn't pull out the panels. This was a concern or the Prizm, that they might need to get a donor quarter panel, which would have been expensive to weld on. This was because it had folded in on itself. However, they were able to pull it out. On the bright side your panels don't look like the folded in on themselves.

One of the ways I kept the price down was by going out and getting the parts needed from a yard. I was lucky and found one of the same color, so even though I didn't have the car repainted, the unpainted spot isn't too noticeable.

There's another factor. If you're strapped for cash you could do the repairs ins stages. get the panels so they line up again and paint them later. That was and still is my plan.

Ocn will know better than me, I'm just going by experience.

I know how you fell...I didn't want our car to end up in the yard, especially since its till drove perfectly fine. So I fixed it. It's been worth the effort, as the car has been good to us since.

Good luck with it, lad you're ok.

Thanks for the tips guys. The woman was indeed covered, and her insurance company is sending an adjuster to my house on Friday. They didn't dispute at all that the accident was clearly her fault, and as soon as they speak with her and confirm my story, I should be able to get a rental car while my car is being fixed. A friend of mine is taking me to the police department tomorrow to file an accident report. So financing the repair shouldn't be an issue, as long as it's not obscenely damaged. BTW if anyone knows the Boston area, this happened on Centre St in Newton. The cop was nice and helpful, so hopefully his friends at the station are the same. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on my progress!

What's up with all of the car accidents lately? First my Firebird, then redtruck's Silverado, now CSpec's Saab. Is The Curse back again?

My gut tells me the insurance company might go with "totaled." Insurance companies always go with the cheapest option, just keep that in mind.

Damn, that looks brutal, glad you are ok!

If the car is worth $7.5k, surely it is not totaled. The front end is barely damaged. You can get junkyard parts in like new condition for pretty cheap, so unless labor is very expensive, I don't see why it should cost all that much (unless your frame is bent/damaged).

Used, each of the bumpers shouldn't cost more than $400 a piece, so you're talking about $800 or less for the bumpers. I would think labor wouldn't be too expensive considering it seems like if you replace just the bumpers and trunk you should be mostly fixed.

SAABs are hard to find used parts for, and they don't have very good resale value. Your car looks like a total loss to me, CSpec, I'm sorry to say. With the rear quarters pushed that far ahead, I'm sure the trunk floor and frame rails are in bad shape. Your car is a unibody. It probably needs rails and maybe a floor in the back. And the front bumper is plastic, it can bounce back into shape and hide a lot of structural damage. With the headlight broken and the grille pushed in I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of structural damage at the front, as well, at the rails and radiator support frame. It certainly is not safely drivable. Let them put you in a rental car so they can tear yours down to get a good look at the damage.

I would be preparing for a total loss, though, if I were you.:(

Edited by ocnblu

What's up with all of the car accidents lately? First my Firebird, then redtruck's Silverado, now CSpec's Saab. Is The Curse back again?

My gut tells me the insurance company might go with "totaled." Insurance companies always go with the cheapest option, just keep that in mind.

I hope that curse is not coming back. I was a victim of it. That is how I lost the first Oldsmobile Ninety Eight I owned.

Well an adjuster is coming to my house tomorrow. I filed the police report today, and hopefully this lady's insurance company sets me up with a rental car pretty soon. I'm gonna call them today and see what's going on.

ocn, thanks for the diagnosis. I'm already looking into a replacement car as I know the damage is pretty bad.

You live around there and we haven't met?

I said Boston area, not Boston metro. :P

But seriously I'm moving to DC in a couple of weeks so it's now or never. Maybe you can show me how to use my camera (Rebel XS) properly.

98 that's how I lost my 91 Elite also. I fought with their Insurance for almost 3mo & lost out bad only got $2175 & it was mint just put new tires,struts,brakes all round plus starter& alt..Once they gave me their offer I had 24hrs. to turn in the rental :cussing: the car was mint. That's been the casewith 3 cars now. I did make out with the Lumina APV twice the 20k mi later drove to the yard & got another $200 very lucky with that van.

CSpec I'm so happy thatyour OK but do go to get checked out or you loose your rights... just in case

98 that's how I lost my 91 Elite also. I fought with their Insurance for almost 3mo & lost out bad only got $2175 & it was mint just put new tires,struts,brakes all round plus starter& alt..Once they gave me their offer I had 24hrs. to turn in the rental :cussing: the car was mint. That's been the casewith 3 cars now. I did make out with the Lumina APV twice the 20k mi later drove to the yard & got another $200 very lucky with that van.

CSpec I'm so happy thatyour OK but do go to get checked out or you loose your rights... just in case

I do not feel so bad about it knowing I was not the only one. I am thankful the insurance company was fair to me. That is how I bought the second Ninety Eight I own now. I got to drive the last generation Grand Prix for 12 days.

I am so sorry CSpec. You will get past this.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The adjuster just left my house. Within about 3 seconds of seeing the car, he declared "this is definitely a total." He said it looked like she never even touched the brakes as the damage to my rear was similar to stuff he sees from highway accidents. The trunk floor is all screwed up and pushed in pretty far. So I guess I have to go car shopping now.

BTW I heard that I can take off the nice alloys on the car and bolt on my winter steelies before they tow it away; is this true?

Cspec, what's your budget?

I wanna stay under $10k.

I'm gonna go test drive this 2002 9-5 Aero in a few minutes: Link

Nice set of features, and the 2002 has some nice upgrades over my 01.

Dodgefan, I was thinking of swapping my steelies and also finding a dead battery at a shop and keeping mine, since it's only a year old. Is there anything else I should save?

Depends on how much work you want to do and if you have the space for it. If you part the car out yourself you'd get more money VS just letting them send it to the scrapyard and let the yard profit from the parts. If you get a Saab of the same generation you'd also have a good set of spare parts for it. At the very least, if you got a 9-5 of the same generation, I would see if you car has anything the new one doesn't, or anything not broken that the new one might, and save those.

As far as Saabs go, what do you think of the 9-3? I test drove one last year and really liked it.

Anything you take off will affect the value of the car, and subsequently your settlement check. Plus, the adjuster probably already assigned a value to the car and took photos... anything different or missing after that could get you in trouble with the insurance company. Call the paying insurance company and let them know what you will be taking off so they know and can adjust your settlement accordingly.

Dodgefan is just being insane. Who in the world has any inclination to put a totalled car up on blocks in their driveway and sell parts off of it? Especially if they are a claimant and the insurance company is ready to settle so you can get into another car quickly?

Edited by ocnblu

I wanna stay under $10k.

Dodgefan, I was thinking of swapping my steelies and also finding a dead battery at a shop and keeping mine, since it's only a year old. Is there anything else I should save?

you could get an 07 taurus or avenger.........or an aveo.....

that 9-5 is a nice one

Edited by regfootball

So yours is declared a total. That might not be so bad since you will now get something different.

After reading some responses on replacing the nice alloys with cheaper tires I wonder how that works. Let us know what you find out. I don't know what is right but personally I don't see why it would matter unless the insurance company is going to strip the cars before putting them in a junk yard. It would be a shame to lose the nice wheels.

Dodgefan is just being insane. Who in the world has any inclination to put a totalled car up on blocks in their driveway and sell parts off of it? Especially if they are a claimant and the insurance company is ready to settle so you can get into another car quickly?

*ahem*

CSpec would be stuck with his damaged Saab if the conditions were different, I can say that.

Am I insane? Sure maybe. :P

However, by the time the insurance company settled with me, they have me double their original estimate, I got to keep the car, and they paid in full for my rental for two months. :wink:

However if you don't want to deal with the hassle and they give you a reasonable starting price, then just take the check, and maybe see about your wheels.

CSpec, yes, while the car is still yours you can take things off of it, but you should let the paying insurance company know what you are taking, as they need to come up with a fair price to pay you for your car. OEM alloys are worth more than steel rims, I can tell you that. Aftermarket alloys are worthless because there will be no call used for whatever obscure wheel is on there. Aftermarket sound systems are not worth anything to a salvage yard, again, people will be looking for SAAB parts, not aftermarket. OEM sound systems are worth more. You get the idea. If you have an aftermarket sound system you'd like to retreive, it is yours, just put the OEM radio inside the car somewhere.

Dodgefan, sometimes with a thorough teardown, a damage estimate CAN double, if the estimator does a drive-by estimate first off. I am glad you got what you wanted in the end. How's that $600 repair holding up on your Prizm?

CSpec, let us know how you make out.

I wanna stay under $10k.

Hey, it's a 5 speed, sweet!

Chris