Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blake Noble

Should I?

48 posts in this topic

Someone offered me a '78 Camaro rolling chassis for trade on what's left of the Firebird today.

I'm seriously thinking about having a project to put away and begin working on when I finish up with the Regal's interior and paint. While I would really like to have a tired old Cutlass to work on and eventually slip the Regal's Rocket 350 into, I'm mulling over pulling the trigger on this particular trade. Winter's getting close and the Firebird has to go as soon as possible. Factor in that I could be moving soon into a house with a nice garage to work in and well ...

The Camaro has one big downside: the sheetmetal is full of rust. I'll just let you guys check it out for yourselves from this pic the owner sent me.

camaro2.jpg

Replacement sheetmetal isn't too expensive. I'm just wondering how far has the Camaro's cancer taken over? Is the frame as rusty as the sheetmetal? Are the floorpans and motor mounts bad?

I think I'm bad for biting off more than I can chew ...

Edited by whiteknight

Well that was quick. :lol:

UPDATE: The owner says the frame is good. Now on to asking about the floorpans ...

Edited by whiteknight

Looks like a pile of scrap. That's a disaster and a money hole.

NOT a good trade. Your Firebird is worth way more than this carcass in parts sales alone.

Yeah I'm giving this a resounding no.

However, not more than four hours after this offer, I received a much better one: a chance to finally own a dream car of mine that really makes this Camaro look even more like a POS. If all goes well, it could be in my hands this weekend. :AH-HA_wink:

If the body on the Camaro had been clean, it would have been a good deal.

If the body on the Camaro had been clean, it would have been a good deal.

Yeah, it's too bad it wasn't in better shape. It would have made a great project, perhaps a nice Z/28 clone.

As soon as the pics of the new offer get to me, I'll let you guys give me your opinion on it. I know it needs far less work than this and it actually has a running engine.

A hint as to what I've been offered: http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?s=...st&p=549119

Edited by whiteknight

That Camaro is a turdwagon. If you really want it, offer to take it off his hands for whatever a junkyard would pay (about $100 at the moment) and cobb it back together with the cheapest parts you can find. It's a pile now and will NEVER be a nice car, but could be a fun burnout machine/around town rat with a couple of bucks and some elbow grease.

piss no. just looking a the rocker panels on that thing makes me feel like the guy that just got a call from his one night stand she is pregnant. think what the floor pans look like... i bet there is a ton of bondo hiding somewhere under the blue too.

S6000?

Dammit, this is going to jinx me, but I'm too excited to play mind games.

79%20Trans%20Am.jpg

That's not the car, no, but that's what I've been offered and that's what I'm hoping and praying will be mine.

I'm going to knock on all of the wood in the house.

Edited by whiteknight

I actually emailed a guy about an S6000 for sale today.

I actually emailed a guy about an S6000 for sale today.

Digital camera?

That Firebird looks pretty rough also.

By judging from the pics, nothing on that car is beyond my skill to fix. Just about the only labor I will have to pay for will be for a few spots of bodywork (I can cut out the bad section of the passenger side rear quarter with a cutting tool myself) and to patch the floorboards, but I do know a few people that will do all of that cheap. I could have this thing roadworthy by this time next year, finances permitting.

I would be stupid not to take it.

I think this has the Olds 403 in it too. I do expect it to have leaky valve pan gaskets, but that's nothing big.

Edited by whiteknight

The T/A, while certainly rough, is a much more viable project than that Camaro.

And, worth a great deal more when done.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0