Do you like...

Do you like the G6 coupe?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the G6 coupe?

• Yes
    • No

I was looking at this car at the auto show.

It rubbed me the wrong way. Camry Solara coupe revisited.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Edited by trinacriabob

This is hard to answer. There should be more specific choices and more than 2. I mean... I like all Pontiacs except blatant badge jobs that don't belong. But I have many problems with many Pontiacs. The G6 coupe being one of them. I like the exterior yet it's bland and weird. I like the interior, but that center stack/console is terrible. I like the powertrain, but it's outdated. I mean... I have mixed views on it. If they injected some class and excitement into it (and no, Ocn, I don't want cladding and a subtle spoiler is not tacky). Basically, fix the the rear, remove the chrome, add some subtle ground effects (that isn't tacky either, Ocn), make it more aggressive, tone down the belt line, fix the center stack/console, add some more brightwork to the interior, get rid of the 4spd autos, and give it those HF DOHC V6s! It'd be perfect then...

This is hard to answer. There should be more specific choices and more than 2. I mean... I like all Pontiacs except blatant badge jobs that don't belong. But I have many problems with many Pontiacs. The G6 coupe being one of them. I like the exterior yet it's bland and weird. I like the interior, but that center stack/console is terrible. I like the powertrain, but it's outdated. I mean... I have mixed views on it. If they injected some class and excitement into it (and no, Ocn, I don't want cladding and a subtle spoiler is not tacky). Basically, fix the the rear, remove the chrome, add some subtle ground effects (that isn't tacky either, Ocn), make it more aggressive, tone down the belt line, fix the center stack/console, add some more brightwork to the interior, get rid of the 4spd autos, and give it those HF DOHC V6s! It'd be perfect then...

my thoughts exactly.

I think it is pretty catchy and Pontiac needs this vehicle to forget the overdone Grand Am coupes. Every time I see one drive by, it catches my eye.

I'm jealous that Chevy doesn't have something to compete with it.

Sadly these are selling at a turtles pace where I live. Nobody wants coupes anymore. I really hope it stays out long enough so that I can get my hands on a good used example for a great second car. My pro/con table would look like this.

Pros: different and neat styling, powerfull engines with both 3500 and 3900, excellent ride/handling on GT versions, nice looking chrome wheel options, legroom above average, has bodyside door moldings, leather seats are comfy and upscale looking.

Cons: some versions still too expensive, needs a lower priced 4 cylinder coupe for around $17995, base cloth seat material way below par, center stack could use a redesign, more interior color choices, 6 speed automatic should be included on GTP for price charged, lets get that optional 3.6 DOHC V6 at least as an option or on a GXP version.

If I had to pick a cut-and-dry answer, I'd sadly have to say "No".

Agree w/ the styling comments above- very strange shape to the rear half, almost like a pinched-off turd. :blink: Too smooth and ovoid for my taste as well- I like angles and lines to catch my eye. I agree w/ BV- rereading his comments, I think that's what the G6 coupe needs!

It probably drives great, haven't had the chance to try one yet. I bet the GTP 6-spd is a mover, too, but it is far too similar in shape to too many other cars to be truly appealing to me. I desperately want to like it, too, being so close to my own GP GTP coupe in size, function, etc. I sat in one, and it does feel smaller inside than my GTP. That roofline made me hit my head twice- once in, once out. :angry:

If they would give it a rear spoiler or wing that hid that awful trunklid (kinda like the Monte Carlo), that would be a big step in the right direction. Hello, aftermarket...?

I don't personally like the G6's fastback profile.  It has odd proportions.

Thank you. Well said. I don't mind fastback styling. It's kind of cool. It's just that, in this one, it's kind of clunky.

Yep... I can't see how anybody could like it, personally. I mean, who is it supposed to appeal to? I'm a 17 year old male who is a Pontiac fanatic, but am just as much of an import fan. If it doesn't appeal to someone who is fanatical about Pontiacs or someone who is an import guy... um, who, then? Appearantly Ocnblu types... whatever that may be... :huh::D

I kinda get the G6's proportions... I think Pontiac were aiming for a mid-engined Lambo look with the big front overhang, short rear overhang, proximity of the front doors to the front wheels, and forward-sloping greenhouse. The G6 sedan looks more balanced, IMO. The coupe is too fat and long in the middle.

I really like it.

I wish it had the 3.6L......but I haven't driven the 3.9L yet so can't comment on that.

What I would change......get rid of the tacky woodgrain trim....it doesn't belong in a Pontiac, IMHO. Also, improve the center stack with HVAC and radio controls from the Impala/Lucerne, etc.

Other than that, I think it's a nice FWD alternative to the Mustang V6 and certainly far sportier than a Camry Solara.....although I choosing between G6 and Accord Coupe V6 6-speed would be a tough choice....

Well, it definitely looks better than the old Grand Ams...but one thing looks odd to me about it is the long wheelbase...the placement of the wheels make the proportions look odd in profile, IMHO...and the taillight shape is funny.

Well, it definitely looks better than the old Grand Ams...but one thing looks odd to me about it is the long wheelbase...the placement of the wheels make the proportions look odd in profile, IMHO...and the taillight shape is funny.

The long wheelbase is actually very nice. My baby can turn on a dime and the rear legroom is very usable even with my seat pushed all the way backwards.

Looking at the poll results so far, Viper, I'd say there are a lot of "Ocnblu types" here. What? :)

I like the "dished" decklid much more than a cheesy, tacked on spoiler. The lid itself looks as though it functions perfectly well to hold down the tail... like a Corvette... no need for chintzy add-ons.

It does have an intriguing mix of flow and sharpness, as shown in a view from 3/4 front... nice sharp hip lines on the quarters balance well with the rounder lower contours. The editors at Road & Track agree... this car is eye catching.

Edited by ocnblu

I honestly don't care for it much. I am not to fond of coupes, and I HATE the Solara and this reminds me of it. The last coupe I really liked (aside from the Camaro and Corvette), was the previous generation Accord Coupe.

Wow! Maybe the smoke and mirrors has blinded and choked me, but a G6 GTP coupe equipped the way I want (very lightly optioned, with 6 speed manual and ultrabright wheels only), is now only $24,040! Before the price reductions, it was over $26k. Still, if the invoice hasn't changed, my price with the employee discount would be the same as before... I really need to check with our Pontiac store in Harrisburg...

count me as one of the ocnblu types. I love the G6 coupe. An electric blue GTP with the two-tone leather, 6spd, Monsoon, 'roof, and polished wheels would do it for me.

Well, blu..... This poll wasn't just for styling, even I voted yes for that reason. That and I am one of the bigger Pontiac fans as well as bigger import fans here and am young. So what this is telling me is that it's supposed to appeal to those who aren't big Pontiac fans, aren't big import fans, and aren't young. Just... peachy, eh?

Edited by blackviper8891

I'm on the fence, as usual. While I appreciate the G6 based on a variety of points, even seriously considering it as my next new vehicle, I cock my head sideways to question the profile and rear end styling. While this styling-point is purely subjective, I still end up leaning toward the sedan as a result.

*shrug*

Edited by ShadowDog

Oh hush, Viper.  Clean is where it's at. ^_^

Ocn... for the last time, I am NOT against clean. Comprendres? However, there is a MAJOR difference between clean and bland... and there is a HUGE difference between sexy and weird. Comprendres? I want sexy and clean. As far as I'm concerned... the G6 coupe doesn't offer either. The detailling is seriously lacking and the lines are all screwed up. AKA, BLAND AND WEIRD. Comprendres? I really want to like the G6 coupe's styling... but without a major update to the entire back half, it isn't going to happen. Give me a decladded 5th gen GAGT coupe, please. THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT. Comprendes? Edited by blackviper8891

Ocn, Ocn, Ocn... Mi culo as muy bonito. La G6? No, no se bonita. Ah... Chingase! Tu no comprendes. :D

BV, it should be:

"La G6? No, no ES bonita." No SE means "I don't know."

How did my thread degenerate to sex? :o

So I will translate:

Ocn, ocn, ocn...I have a very nice ass. The G6? No, it's not very nice. Oh...go f*c* yourself. You wouldn't understand.

You both live in PA and haven't yet made each other's acquaintance? What's the deal?

BV, it should be:

"La G6?  No, no ES bonita."  No SE means "I don't know."

How did my thread degenerate to sex? :o

So I will translate:

Ocn, ocn, ocn...I have a very nice ass.  The G6?  No, it's not very nice.  Oh...go f*c* yourself.  You wouldn't understand.

You both live in PA and haven't yet made each other's acquaintance?  What's the deal?

That's what you call a typing error... Notice how "es" is "se" backwards. :D

Anyways... Wow, I wasn't expecting that to be translated. For the sake of the standing between me and ocnblu... I was joking... in spanish. Get it? Joking in spanish... You don't get it? Oh... well... um....... oops, talk to you later.

As for not meeting each other yet? I have not car and am not happy with myself. It I did and if I was... and if my parents allowed or if I could go without them knowing, I would. Although, I'd hate to accidentally hit an Amish buggy... They can come out from nowhere, you know... :lol::P

HAHA This reminds me of high school...

OK, I took French due to an horrible Puerto Rican ummm "experience" in middle school...so I really know very little Spanish.

We had this Spanish teacher at my HS who would throw Spanish and English together in conversation outside of class. She'd throw on the Spanish accent and sound like this white ghetto Latina...it was funny.

Once I was leaving for lunch and she didn't see my ID and she screamed:

"NO CHICITO, I DO NOT THINK SO!! BRING THAT ID OVER HERE RAPIDAMENTE...CMON!! RAPIDO RAPIDO RAPIDO!!!!!"

:lol: It was too funny...