New Toyota Previa

HarleyEarl

Looks a lot like the old Previa that was sold here in the states in the early 90s. When I was younger, I always that it was a cool looking van. Now that I look back, it looks like a suppository on wheels.

This one looks a lot better. Boring.. but better.

Looks a lot like the old Previa that was sold here in the states in the early 90s.  When I was younger, I always that it was a cool looking van.  Now that I look back, it looks like a suppository on wheels.

This one looks a lot better.  Boring.. but better.

It may look the same, but they moved the engine from under the floor to the nose two generations ago.

Posted Image

I'm sure the knobs on the Toyota are more fun to twiddle though.

That era of GM minivans was absolute garbage, so aside from styling (which other than the nose isn't particularly similar), I wouldn't bash the Previa.

I think the Pinto is better associated with safety than Previa.

Remember when those $h!-lumps were failing every crash test under the sun that involved a speed higher than 5.5 MPH?

I was involved in a five-car accident on the New Jersey Turnpike while riding in a friend's old Toyota Previa. We all walked away with minimal injuries after mulitple impacts with other cars and eventually, the guardrail...so I guess the Previa holds a special place in my heart. :P

Wow... that's amazing. Very Lucky I suppose. I have the image of the crushed test-dummy in the front seat burned into my mind.

Then again I want a COE pickup so I shouldn't talk. At least the driving position is a bit higher and they used sheetmetal steel thicker than a beer can ot make those.

Guest gmrebirth

looks like a huge Mazda5 or a mitsubishi grandis clone.

again, toyota can't be original.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, intelligence and objectivity seem to be beyond you.

Posted Image

This new Previa is *gasp*, an evolution of the original Previa design that's almost 15 years old. Toyota copying themselves, who would have thought? :rolleyes:

Guest gmrebirth

Lay off the personal attacks and stick to the argument. Your accuracy is overshadowed by your attitude.

How are my personal attacks any worse than the various unwarranted and unsupported attacks against Toyota?

But fine, I can lay off the personal attacks, although it's unlikely to make a difference in reducing the number of idiotic anti-import remarks that run rampant.

And no, don't give me the spiel that this is a GM site. I don't care if this is a GM, Toyota, or Yugo enthusiast site ... this is no excuse for intelligence to be absent in many of the posts here.

Edited by gmrebirth

How are my personal attacks any worse than the various unwarranted and unsupported attacks against Toyota?

Because as far as I know, Toyota is not a person. Toyota cannot take offense to any statement. If I say a Toyota is ugly, its feelings won't be hurt. Please tell me that question was rhetorical and intended to be humorous.

But fine, I can lay off the personal attacks, although it's unlikely to make a difference in reducing the number of idiotic anti-import remarks that run rampant.

And no, don't give me the spiel that this is a GM site. I don't care if this is a GM, Toyota, or Yugo enthusiast site ... this is no excuse for intelligence to be absent in many of the posts here.

Yes, I will give you the spiel because it is a GM site and since the site came back online, you've made 172 posts, none positive about General Motors or really offering much of any positive suggestions and a whole lot containing this insulting tone.

And, no, I don't care if you are a "huge supporter of the truth and of reality, no matter how negative or harsh it may seem," its no excuse for making personal affonts against people who are expressing their opinions as you are yours.

If someone is incorrect and you correct them by insulting them, guess who looks dumber?

Because as far as I know, Toyota is not a person. Toyota cannot take offense to any statement. If I say a Toyota is ugly, its feelings won't be hurt. Please tell me that question was rhetorical and intended to be humorous.

Yes, I will give you the spiel because it is a GM site and since the site came back online, you've made 172 posts, none positive about General Motors or really offering much of any positive suggestions and a whole lot containing this insulting tone.

And, no, I don't care if you are a "huge supporter of the truth and of reality, no matter how negative or harsh it may seem," its no excuse for making personal affonts against people who are expressing their opinions as you are yours.

If someone is incorrect and you correct them by insulting them, guess who looks dumber?

:withstupid:

Guest gmrebirth

I'm not talking about context, I'm talking about principle. So based on what you say do you deem it acceptable to bash Toyota or any other company without warrant or support? In terms of principle, that's no different than bashing a person. So who's being smarter here? Your indirect defense of regfootball's mindless bashing, as well as those of other members does not hold ground.

None positive about GM? Don't fool yourself. If you want to keep thinking that, go ahead.

Yes, most of my posts have a critical tone to them, because I am very critical of GM and of the competition. Critical can mean positive or negative.

I have made many critical comments about GM, and they were mostly intended to be positive to show how the company can and should improve.

Like I said, if mindless bashing of certain automakers is deemed acceptable, it is not any different than me making insults at those members. I don't correct them BY insulting them, I correct them ALONG with insulting them for their mindless bashing. But I will be the wiser, and lay off the insults.

Edited by gmrebirth

mindless bashing?

i showed pics of how the new toyota van is a visual clone of the grandis and that's not bashing, that's merely presenting visual proof.

here's some opinion. TOYOTA SUCKS. they design and build well built cars with no originality or style. they show no ability to lead in the design arena, and their management is smug.

Toyota has never shown any examples of orginality in design that ere nothing more than discombobulated japanese chimpokemon mental masturbation. have you seen the new Lexus LS? Absolutely horrid. I bet its built great but man, its a mess.

Edited by regfootball

Aside from Cadillac, the Lucerene and new Tahoe, what current GM vehicles have style?  Aside from Cadillac, what GM vehicles are original?

You forgot the Vette, the Solstice and upcoming Sky, arguably the HHR. The ones that don't go to rental fleets.

I'm not talking about context, I'm talking about principle. So based on what you say do you deem it acceptable to bash Toyota or any other company without warrant or support? In terms of principle, that's no different than bashing a person. So who's being smarter here? Your indirect defense of regfootball's mindless bashing, as well as those of other members does not hold ground.

I reiterate, Toyota is not a person.

But I will be the wiser, and lay off the insults.

That is all that was asked.

You forgot the Vette, the Solstice and upcoming Sky, arguably the HHR.  The ones that don't go to rental fleets.

Damn, I did forget about the Solstice and Sky. Arguably the HHR, too. The only thing distinctive about the Vette is its sports car stance and performance, the rear and its history. I know I'll get flack for this but the other day I mistook some 90's coupe for a Corvette when I saw it from the front, head on. Then I walked past it and realized I was an idiot.

But, How many do you see still driving around? :P

They just don't die.... :blink:  :lol:

Actually I still see quite a few Lumina APV's, Pontiac Trans-Sports, and Olds Silhouettes hopping around here.

Never see a Previa anymore though.

Question: is this new one midengined? (I'd assume not)

Answered in anticipation earlier: The Estima (the former Previa) has not been mid-engined since the first generation. Instead it uses the standard fwd Toyota powertrain, now updated to the 2.4 L 4 cyl and 3.5 L V6 as used in the US-market RAV4.

If you can't see the difference between posting personal attacks on members of this forum, and members posting there dislike for a corporation......then I don't think you deserve the right to continue posting you anti-GM/Domestic, pro-Toyota rhetoric on this GM fan forum.

Toyota is a big stupid head! :Toyota:

Actually I still see quite a few Lumina APV's, Pontiac Trans-Sports, and Olds Silhouettes hopping around here.

Never see a Previa anymore though.

i I see a lot of the plastic dustbusters in my neck of the woods and I also liked the Transport with it's space shuttle design. Ugly or not they were ahead of their time. I always thought the Previa was a rip off of the GM concept for what eventually became the dustbusters. I also read on the forum the next gen GM mini-vans will have styling similar to the dustbusters if my interperting "space like" design means the same thing. Edited by prinzSD

• 2 weeks later...

i I see a lot of the plastic dustbusters in my neck of the woods and I also liked the Transport with it's space shuttle design. Ugly or not they were ahead of their time. I always thought the Previa was a rip off of the GM concept for what eventually became the dustbusters. I also read on the forum the next gen GM mini-vans will have styling similar to the dustbusters if my interperting "space like" design means the same thing.

Posted Image

1st Generation Previa

Posted Image

2nd Generation Previa

The 91+ Previa was clearly and update to the 1st Generation, GM Concepts had nothing to do with it.

Regarding the Dustbusters, I remember seeing them in a GM facility before they came out. I was 8 or 9 at the time. My grandpartents used to work at a Baptist bording school in eastern Kentucky. Every summer GM would donate a few engines to the school, so my grandfather and I would drive up to MI and pick them up. I thought the Dustbusters were so futureistic, like space shuttles for the road.

Posted Image

1st Generation Previa

Posted Image

2nd Generation Previa

The 91+ Previa was clearly and update to the 1st Generation, GM Concepts had nothing to do with it.

Regarding the Dustbusters, I remember seeing them in a GM facility before they came out.  I was 8 or 9 at the time.  My grandpartents used to work at a Baptist bording school in eastern Kentucky.  Every summer GM would donate a few engines to the school, so my grandfather and I would drive up to MI and pick them up.  I thought the Dustbusters were so futureistic, like space shuttles for the road.

Let me find the Trans Sport concept car and you might see the uncanny resemblence between it and the second Gen Previa. I have been looking on the net but can not find it yet. It was red with the lower cladding silver. It was a more rounded design then that which eventually came out.

Edit: Here is a link of the 1987 Pontiac Tran Sport concept. I always thought the name Tran Sport was way better then Montana or SV6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Transsport01.jpg

Edited by prinzSD

The old Previa had an optional supercharged engine good for 161 hp, and it was later made standard.

The precursor to the Previa was known as the Toyota Van. Its original name was the Van Wagon, but Volkswagen complained that it was too similar to Vanagon, and Toyota changed it after the 1984 model year. My dad test-drove one and said he had to floor it to make it move.

Toyota Previa goes Citroen.

Yes... very much so. Fly's right though... this is almost handsome compared to the Sienna they sell here in the USA.