reflections on Brokeback Mountain

usonia

No, this isn't a review of the movie and it isn't anything telling you whether to see the movie or not. That's up to you. If you haven't seen it, this probably won't make any sense. This is just my experience I had as a result of watching it. You might find it interesting and you might think I'm nuts. It's kind of long.

I walked out of the theater on Friday night, my body shaking slightly, eyes wet and my throat aching. I had a profound feeling of sadness and confusion. What the hell was going on? Yes it was a sad movie, but I've seen sad movies before and they're just movies! They're not real! I'm not an emotional person and this was just not the normal reaction for me to be having. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I quickly left my friends and went home to bed.

I woke up Saturday morning feeling inert. As the day wore on, I went from inert to depressed. I couldn't concentrate on anything, but in the back of my mind, scenes from the movie kept repeating. I stayed home all day, did nothing and went to bed early. I woke up Sunday morning feeling the same as the day before. I had read the story "Brokeback Mountain" weeks earlier, but I felt the need to read it again. It took several attempts between my eyes welling up with tears before I could finally finish it. I didn't feel any better and I was still as confused as before. I went back to the see the movie again Sunday afternoon.

Leaving the theater the second time, I felt worse and yet nothing was any more clear to me. What was it about this particular story that was having such an impact on me? I couldn't make any connection between the movie and any person or event from my memory. This made no sense at all.

The whole next week, I was pretty much worthless. I couldn't concentrate at work. At home, I was a slug on the sofa watching television, but not really watching it. In the back of my mind, the movie continued to repeat. Frequently, a scene or phrase from the movie would suddenly break into my consciousness. My chest would tighten, my eyes would tear up and I'd have to force myself to think of something else. My cover story at work was that I was coming down with a cold.

The following Saturday, I went to see the movie again. This time after it ended, I didn't rush out of the theater. I was on the verge of breaking down so I had to sit there and calm myself. Not having stayed past the end of the movie before, I wasn't aware of the song that plays over the credits. Written by Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson starts to sing:

He was a friend of mine

He was a friend of mine

Every time I think about him now

Lord I just can't keep from cryin'

'Cause he was a friend of mine

When I heard that first verse, it felt like a wave slammed into me. Verse after verse I kept listening, unsure if I could hold it together. I sat there with my head down breathing slowly. The feeling finally passed and I left the theater. I forced myself to go out to the bars Saturday night to get my mind off everything but it didn't help. I went back home and went to bed.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling almost OK. I got out of bed and went to take a shower. I was standing there when I started to shake. From nowhere, the scene towards the end of the movie, where Ennis comes up behind Jack and puts his arms around him appeared in my mind. At that same instant, I knew the description of that scene from the story as if I were reading it to myself,

"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was that time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.....Later that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate difficult lives."

Whatever had been building up inside me had finally forced its way out. All of those times the previous week, where I had almost cried but didn't, couldn't be stopped now. I slumped against the wall, water from the showerhead streaming down my back and tears streaming down my face. My chest was heaving out great sobs of grief, sadness and loneliness. Even being alone, I felt embarrassed by what was happening to me. At the same time I was angry for not understanding why but my mind was assembling everything to lay out in front of me. I knew this wasn't just from the past week, this stretched back many years. I have no idea how long I stood there before I realized I had stopped crying. I was hesitant to move for fear that I would start up again but at this point, I felt calm. I dried off, got dressed and went and sat on the sofa to think and put it all together. I went to see the movie one last time. Needless to say, I left a mess, but I understood.

There are things I know, things I feel, and things I don't like to admit to myself. They don't often intersect. From as far back as I can remember, I have felt disconnected from the people around me. I am lucky to have a small circle of friends, a few who are very close to me. I care about them all a great deal, but even with my closest friends and family my feelings for them don't go very deep. I don't tell them that of course and I guess it sounds terrible, but that's the way it is.

I don't know how to explain this "disconnected" feeling. It isn't something I do, it's just there and carries with it a sense of a loneliness that is always with me. I've never experienced love towards another person. (Parents don't count in this case.) I've met people I've been very physically attracted to, but never had a strong emotional feeling for. So, I remain detached and just accept all this as part of the makeup of my personality. I've learned to live with it.

To love and to want to be loved are the most basic and powerful of human emotions, but not for me. Maybe for weaker people, but not me. That's what I always told myself. Like it says in the Paul Simon song, "I am a rock, I am an island". I had to prepare myself for the possibility that there would never be anyone else. It might only ever be me that I had to depend on. I told myself this for years until I believed it and it all fit in perfectly with my personality.

Then I saw "Brokeback Mountain" and it all fell apart. What affected me so deeply about this movie was watching the relationship develop between Jack and Ennis. The gradual build up from their first meeting to becoming friends to lovers to soul mates was incredible for me. To watch them when they see each other again after four years, I felt like I finally knew what it would be like to really connect with someone. How could I not want this? To imagine someone who could reach deep inside you and push out the feeling of loneliness is something I just don't have words to describe.

Of course, the tragedy is that it couldn't last. The characters became painfully real to me. I was swept along with the story even though I knew what was coming. As I watched their lives continue into despair with brief moments of happiness, it was as though the happiness I felt imagining what it must be like to truly love someone and they you, was being torn from me. I felt a range of emotions from watching this movie I have never experienced before. I grieved for the characters and I grieve for myself because I am all too aware of reality

It's been two weeks since I first saw this movie. I am still unsettled by the feelings I am left with but at least now I understand them. For anyone who reads this that has met someone they love, I envy you. For those of us who have not been as fortunate, I wish I could offer something beyond saying I finally know how you feel. Life is a crap shoot. We don't choose who we are attracted to and we can't make someone be attracted to us. There may be someone out there for everyone, but not all of us will ever meet them.

As for me, I fear I won't be one of the lucky ones. I know the odds of meeting my Jack or Ennis and they aren't good. A long time ago, I convinced myself of the possibility I would end up living my life alone. For a person with my type of personality, I thought that was the logical thing to do. I still do. Seeing this movie at least now allows me to admit to myself how much I don't want it to be true and that isn't a weakness. I know it is still a very real possibility and just wanting something doesn't make it happen. I can't fix that, so I may have to stand it. I hope I'm strong enough.

All I can think about whenever I see anything about this movie is that episode of South Park where they had the independent film festival and Cartman explained independent film as being "black & white hippie movies about a bunch of gay cowboys eating pudding." :lol:

I can't believe it. Snicker behind my back if you will, people, but this movie has affected me in much the same way as usonia. I've seen it 3 times, and want to see it again. The power it holds has been nothing short of astonishing.

I can't believe it.  Snicker behind my back if you will, people, but this movie has affected me in much the same way as usonia.  I've seen it 3 times, and want to see it again.  The power it holds has been nothing short of astonishing.

I have seen it once and thought it was fantastic...thought it did not have such a dramatic impact on me. It is a great story, very thought provoking, and I also have spent much time thinking about it since seeing it. I do have friends that have seen it a few times, and continue to be moved like you are.

You know, I read this again this morning after posting it last night. It comes off way more melodramatic than I had intended. I probably should have written it and then waited a day for a rewrite before posting. Oh well.

That watching a movie could put me through this while other people can see it and not think twice about it just shows how what we see and hear gets filtered through our own life experiences which affects how we perceive everything.

I wish I could say something really profound here, but I got nothing....

I have to admit the movie gave me a lump in my throat, but then as I've studied history I realize that what happens in the movie has happened throughout history. It only makes my blood boil that this history has been swept under the carpet (and actually destroyed in many cases!). I saw it won at the Golden Globes last night. I would love to see it sweep the Oscars just to stick it to the Christian (and Muslim) rights groups.

When I was 20 years old, I sat through a private screening of Making Love, put on by the studio. That movie made me cry, but only because I was so happy to finally see something (other than Boys in the Band) that at least attempted to treat gay people with some modicum of respect.

Brokeback is amazing and will probably go down as a groundbreaking movie as well, but I just wish once JUST ONCE Hollywood or somebody would make a major theatrical release involving gay characters (who aren't just side kicks) that has a happy ending.

Perhaps 40 years ago gay people led melancholy lives (although in the movie, the latter part of it takes place in the mid-70s and I couldn't understandy why they couldn't just move to New York or California, for Gawd's sake!!!), but that doesn't have to be the case now.

Usonia, use what you have learned as a growing experience. There is a treasure trove of insight into yourself to be learned from what you have just gone through.

Of course it had to win 4 Golden Globes. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's just Hollywood trying to appease the many people who won't see this movie for whatever reasons. After all the hype I think it bombed.

"Perhaps 40 years ago gay people led melancholy lives (although in the movie, the latter part of it takes place in the mid-70s and I couldn't understandy why they couldn't just move to New York or California, for Gawd's sake!!!), but that doesn't have to be the case now."

Some friends who saw the movie said the same thing. It's a valid question and the answer is in your interpretation of the characters. For me, I can see how Jack would have moved, but not Ennis. I think it showed in the scene of their final meeting on the mountain, where they argue and Jack tells him they could have had a life together but Ennis didn't want it.

You see Ennis go through this mental anguish of a person wanting to do the right thing for everyone involved including himself, but seeing no way out. He did want that life more than anything and he didn't want to hurt Jack by saying no, but he already had his children at that point. He loved them and couldn't leave and abandon them. If they stayed and lived together, in his mind one or both of them would be killed. If anything happend to Jack, he couldn't stand knowing he would be partly responsible for that. For him, the only viable option was to continue what they had been doing.

Wow... this movie has to something special. I must see it. That reaction is much of the same reaction the book "A Seperate Peace" gave me. I didn't necessarily cry or breakdown, but it was the first book I actually wanted to read and enjoyed doing so. I finished the last 3/4 one day. Afterwards, I couldn't stop thinking about it and had dreams about it. I had to read it again. Still couldn't stop thinking about it... A month later, I still think about it, though, not nearly as much.

I haven't seen it yet... will have to check it out..I usually don't get into Westerns, but this sounds like it is pretty atypical.

The best movies I saw in '05 were probably Hustle & Flow, Syriana, Crash, and Munich...

Edited by moltar

sciguy, Brokeback has done $30.8 million as of this weekend in 6 weeks in only 683 screens. It started out with 75! It's average per screen, according to Box Office Mojo, is $8,480, which is more nearly triple box office smashes like King Kong. Hardly a flop for a limited release movie that only cost $14m to make.

sciguy, Brokeback has done $30.8 million as of this weekend in 6 weeks in only 683 screens.  It started out with 75!  It's average per screen, according to Box Office Mojo, is $8,480, which is more nearly triple box office smashes like King Kong.  Hardly a flop for a limited release movie that only cost $14m to make.

someone must like brokeback mountain :P

Of course it had to win 4 Golden Globes.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's just Hollywood trying to appease the many people who won't see this movie for whatever reasons.  After all the hype I think it bombed.

The Golden Globes aren't "Hollywood", that's the Oscars. This is the Hollywood <b>Foreign</b> Press

It's managed to keep in the top 10 at the box office after 6 weeks out and in only 683 theaters, with a take of over 7 million this past weekend for a total a little over 32 million. For a movie whose 14 million dollar production budget was completely covered by it's foreign distribution rights.

Just for comparison, King Kong's domestic grosses so far haven't covered it's production budget. much less it's marketing.

So you can't really call it a "bomb"

The Golden Globes aren't "Hollywood", that's the Oscars.  This is the Hollywood <b>Foreign</b> Press

It's managed to keep in the top 10 at the box office after 6 weeks out and in only 683 theaters, with a take of over 7 million this past weekend for a total a little over 32 million.  For a movie whose 14 million dollar production budget was completely covered by it's foreign distribution rights.

Just for comparison, King Kong's domestic grosses so far haven't covered it's production budget. much less it's marketing.

So you can't really call it a "bomb"

apples and oranges. King Kong will make 1.5 times what it made in the US across the globe. Brokeback may make another $30 million. Newer movies see the bulk of profit in DVD sales, Kong will be all conquering in that respect.

Kong's production budget was $207 million, it will take three more days before it sees that total amount. Yes, marketing is another issue, but you can rest assured the massive totals will continue rising.

You invited the comparison. Kong just left the top three for the first time in its five weeks of release.

sciguy, Brokeback has done $30.8 million as of this weekend in 6 weeks in only 683 screens.  It started out with 75!  It's average per screen, according to Box Office Mojo, is $8,480, which is more nearly triple box office smashes like King Kong.  Hardly a flop for a limited release movie that only cost $14m to make.

you're numbers are a bit misleading. As Brokeback continues to expand into more screens it's per theater average will drop. Focus Features is doing a dramatic increase expansion that will only continue the buzz for the movie, so they're doing a good job. But this movie has already opened in its biggest markets, and now only the Oscars will give it a significant push. It may reach $70 mil when all is said and done, but that would be surprising. More likely it will end around $50-55 mil

Brokeback is easily not a flop by any means, I don't know that anyone here was trying to say that though. Hollywood is doing everything they can to guarantee its success.

King Kong was/is a bomb. Sorry but I consider any movie/tv award show to be tied in with Hollywood. I wasn't surprised the foreign press gave it an award and I won't be surprised if the Academy does, too. I feel that all the glowing reviews the movie has received are solely related to its theme of homosexuality. I highly doubt if it was a heterosexual love story it would have gotten the same reviews and award nominations/wins. That annoys me because then I believe Hollywood is just advancing/pushing its views.

If it is only in 683 theaters and making money than one can deduce that the same people are going to see it again and again. I don't have any comment on whether it is a good/bad movie because I have not seen it. Sure it's making money but I guess I just expected it to be bigger after all the hype.

Edit: I consider King Kong to be somewhat of a bomb because of all the hype surrounding its release and then the sound of crickets chirping afterwards. All of these remakes and sequels are annoying, too. I give BM credit for actually being a movie, not just another rehash.

Edited by sciguy_0504

That reaction is much of the same reaction the book "A Seperate Peace" gave me.

BV, refresh my memory. I think we had this one in high school or somebody gave a book report on it. It's about 2 school friends that are very different from each other, though I don't recall there being any sexual heat that was tangible as being right on the surface.

At any rate, haven't seen "BM" the movie (doesn't that mean "bowel movement" in medical shorthand?). The last movie I saw was "Sideways" - yup, almost a year ago since I last set foot in a movie theater. I raved about that one and all the ...(clearing throat)... California coastal scenery and references (other thread).

Also, what are those movies Moltar referred to all about? Aren't they somewhat prized right now as well?

BV, refresh my memory.  I think we had this one in high school or somebody gave a book report on it.  It's about 2 school friends that are very different from each other, though I don't recall there being any sexual heat that was tangible as being right on the surface. 

No, not really anything sexual about it. It just... hit me a certain way, somewhat like BM did for him. Although, I do think the author, John Knowles, was gay or he intended Gene to be... I mean, some of the comments about what's-his-name's ass... :P

For me, it was easy to descend into the story and feel as though I was a part of it. Some other folks may prefer to skim over this pond like a stone, and not feel any connection. They are missing out on something deep.

Streisand has done some of the best love/companion/ relationship movies I have seen. I just saw one this weekend I missed before. With Jeff Bridges (95), really interesting twist on companionship........that didnt work out as planed and in the end wound up back on page one which is physical desire and the need to be desired.

For me, it was easy to descend into the story and feel as though I was a part of it.  Some other folks may prefer to skim over this pond like a stone, and not feel any connection.  They are missing out on something deep.

I have to laugh. Forget all my ramblings, you summed it all up in a few short words and you are exactly right. I felt all of the emotional highs, lows and pain of the characters and then the movie ended and I lost both Jack and Ennis. To go through that emotional roller coaster in two hours and try to process those feelings, for someone like me, was impossible. That's why it took so long for the impact of what I was feeling to hit me...and boy did it hit me!!

I feel that all the glowing reviews the movie has received are solely related to its theme of homosexuality.  I highly doubt if it was a heterosexual love story it would have gotten the same reviews and award nominations/wins.  That annoys me because then I believe Hollywood is just advancing/pushing its views.

Not so sure about that sciguy, it is really a pretty good story overall...I think a lot straight people like it alot (if they are not affriaid to admit that they have seen it).

I think hard-core religious types are/will be threatened by it.

my favorite 2005 movies

wedding crashers and 40 y.o. virgin

Not to digress - so I don't have to rent it:

40 y.o. Virgin - well...does his "status" change by the end of the movie?

The only movie I have seen in the last 5 or so years along the lines of a BM type theme was "Far From Heaven" and it had to do with saving face around the sexuality/alcoholism issues of an executive-type husband in the 1950s. Actually, a pretty decent flick with talented and recognized actors/actresses.

Ok, back on track.

For once I have nothing relevant to add at all.... I'm completely speachless. Maybe I should go see this movie. OR maybe I should see that South PArk Episode again. :P

Didn't Mean Girls come out in 2005? I liked that movie.

Honestly, I'm not really a movie person, especially when it comes to spending hundreds of dollars going out to a theater. A movie either has to look pretty good or a group of friends invited me to go along with them for a night out in order for me to see a movie in a theater. Otherwise, I'll probably never see them.

My favorite movie is "Titanic." Sure it might be easy to laugh but it has everything I think a good movie should have: action, drama, comedy, love and Kate Winslet's breasts.

At the theatre where we went to see Brokeback (in downtown Toronto), I'd say 1/3 of the audience was female and (educated guess) straight. I saw a lot of hot guys with their "sisters," or dates - who can tell? The star power of the two leads is roping in the female fan base, regardless of any sex scenes with another guy.

This has got to be one of the higher grossing "chick flick/date" movies of the year.

For me, it was easy to descend into the story and feel as though I was a part of it.  Some other folks may prefer to skim over this pond like a stone, and not feel any connection.  They are missing out on something deep.

Interesting comment. When I watch movies I allow myself to be enveloped. The characters, the story, the backdrop all become a part of me for a moment in time as I dissect what really is going on in this story at the emotional core. If anybody saw Crash, whenever I see it again, my heart begins to flutter as I watch the beginning of this movie and the beginning of the characters of this movie. I think of what amazing stories I am about to watch and how beautifully each character reacts to thier particular situation. Crash was definitely one of the best films of the year.

With Brokeback, I honestly am upset because I feel like I am missing something. Everybody else got so much out of it apparently, and I did not. What did I miss?

Haha, I have no choice but to speculate on what it is and wait for more opinions. I watched the movie, was quite attentive to every detail, and still didn't find thier relationship all that emotionally involved. Not the kind of emotion that would allow one to give up thier entire life and die for that person.

Spoiler:

Jack seemed driven by lust in his decisions. Jack and Ennis both succumed to passion and lust that first night. Thier seemed to be sexual tension.....some.....barely discernible.......and then there was no gradual buildup of an internal desire for each other. Just bang, boom, thank you ma'am. Then, the decisions by Jack came to cheat on his relationship [going to Mexico to find a male prostitute sure as hell constitutes as cheating on Ennis]. And of course, watching everyone else becoming emotionally detatched to Jack, that was painful to watch, both for Jack and for his wife and child. I wanted thier family unit to be a healthy loving unit. And then there was Alma, broken-hearted, innocent, and thrown aside, f*in brutally, with no word, no explanation, no period of resolution. Just, you don't matter anymore. That's harsh. I didn't get the movie, and I don't get all the hype now. I might see it again, but probably not, since it's subject matter is not particularly appealing. If it wins Oscars that'll be okay with me. I have disagreed with thier awards in previous years and that would make this no different.

So far the count looks like this:

one heterosexual opinion I've heard has been they didn't like it

countless homosexual opinions that they loved it

Edited by turbo200

I think it all depends on the individual and what your life experiences have been that determines the depth of involvement you get from this movie. I definitely don't think you have to be gay to 'get it'. Some gay friends of mine had no real reaction to the movie. They liked it and that was about it. For me there was a very personal connection to the story and the characters and I fell off the deep end.

Although the movie follows it very closely, you may want to read the (very) short story on which it is based. It does add some details that may not be obvious in the movie. You can search and find it on the internet.

I wont go through the entire movie here. I've already overstayed my welcome on this topic but I do want to respond to a couple of things you mentioned.

You're right, the movie doesn't overtly show the buildup of their relationship. It really is in the little details. As they spend more time together, you see Ennis become more at ease and more playful around Jack. The most obvious is in their conversations. Ennis barely talks with anyone else, but he opens up about himself with Jack. They even make the joke at one point about how little Ennis has said in two weeks.

Jack is definitely the more 'worldly' of the two and it is implied in the written story that his first time with Ennis, wasn't his first time. The first time they have sex, it is abrupt and rough, but that's how it is described in the story too. I didn't assume love was part of it that first time. I think it was more lust. The second time in the tent is more 'loving', but I don't think love became obvious in the movie until the scene where they get word to bring the sheep back down the mountain. Ennis's mood changes quickly and drastically . He knows he'll be off to get married and panic turns to anger because he doesn't want to leave Jack.

Jack doesn't go to Mexico until after his trip to see Ennis when his divorce is final. He misunderstands, thinking that Ennis is now ready to be with him but Ennis turns him down. I took it to mean that he went to Mexico out of hurt and anger more than just to get off. Jack was not completely faithful, but if there was no real connection between the two other than sex, it would never have lasted 20 years.

I think I read something where Annie Proulx (the author) said the story is about rural homophobia. Out of loneliness or isolation or whatever, Jack and Ennis succumbed to temptation and had sex. The problem for them was that while they were together on the mountain, they unexpectedly fell in love too. Being homophoic themselves, they didn't know how to deal it, especially when their freedom on the mountain came to an end and they had to go back into the world they grew up in that would not let them be together.

Edited by usonia

Not to digress - so I don't have to rent it:

40 y.o. Virgin - well...does his "status" change by the end of the movie?

The only movie I have seen in the last 5 or so years along the lines of a BM type theme was "Far From Heaven" and it had to do with saving face around the sexuality/alcoholism issues of an executive-type husband in the 1950s.  Actually, a pretty decent flick with talented and recognized actors/actresses.

Ok, back on track.

yes, he is not a virgin at the end of the movie,but you still will laugh out loud if you rent it.

Edited by regfootball

Didn't Mean Girls come out in 2005?  I liked that movie.

Honestly, I'm not really a movie person, especially when it comes to spending hundreds of dollars going out to a theater.  A movie either has to look pretty good or a group of friends invited me to go along with them for a night out in order for me to see a movie in a theater.  Otherwise, I'll probably never see them.

My favorite movie is "Titanic."  Sure it might be easy to laugh but it has everything I think a good movie should have: action, drama, comedy, love and Kate Winslet's breasts.

titanic was spectacular and a tremendous movie.

Kate's rack in that movie is reason to sever a limb for the cause if need be. She was gorgeous in the whole movie. At times I can become figuratively insanely obsessed with her. today still, she is one of those incredibly honestly gorgeous women that eschews grace and style and confidence. that was a truly defining movie moment in history. my wife would understand if i dumped her for kate winlet. maybe. i think i could sell it to her if need be.

J/K :rolleyes:

one last diversionary subtopic before we get back to the real topic: scarlett johansson at the golden globes. or just scarlett johansson in general. might be worthy of its own thread.

i apologize for the momentary break. carry on.

Edited by regfootball

titanic was spectacular and a tremendous movie.

Kate's rack in that movie is reason to sever a limb for the cause if need be.  She was gorgeous in the whole movie.  At times I can become figuratively insanely obsessed with her.  today still, she is one of those incredibly honestly gorgeous women that eschews grace and style and confidence.  that was a truly defining movie moment in history.

Amen.

As for me, I fear I won't be one of the lucky ones.  I know the odds of meeting my Jack or Ennis and they aren't good.  A long time ago, I convinced myself of the possibility I would end up living my life alone.  For a person with my type of personality, I thought that was the logical thing to do.  I still do.  Seeing this movie at least now allows me to admit to myself how much I don't want it to be true and that isn't a weakness.  I know it is still a very real possibility and just wanting something doesn't make it happen.  I can't fix that, so I may have to stand it.  I hope I'm strong enough.

to tel you the truith, I felt like this for most of my high school years and during my first year of college as well. I eventualy broke the ice and came out to my close friends and eventualy to my parents (by accident)......

It is such a relief once you let it out....

this topic didnt even occur to me or catch my eye till today and now that I've read your post, it realy makes me want to go see the movie bad....

I'll be taking my partner to the movies to go see this

As for me, I fear I won't be one of the lucky ones.  I know the odds of meeting my Jack or Ennis and they aren't good.  A long time ago, I convinced myself of the possibility I would end up living my life alone.  For a person with my type of personality, I thought that was the logical thing to do.  I still do.  Seeing this movie at least now allows me to admit to myself how much I don't want it to be true and that isn't a weakness.  I know it is still a very real possibility and just wanting something doesn't make it happen.  I can't fix that, so I may have to stand it.  I hope I'm strong enough.

to tel you the truith, I felt like this for most of my high school years and during my first year of college as well. I eventualy broke the ice and came out to my close friends and eventualy to my parents (by accident)......

It is such a relief once you let it out....

Well, currently being in high school, I somewhat feel like that. As time passes, though, I keep feeling better about it. I don't necessarily think I'll end up alone. I do want to come out... badly, but I'm still unsure of what will happen. I want to think that everything would be alright, but being Brookville is made up of a bunch of rednecks/conservatives, including my parents... I don't see any good coming out of it. I've been thinking about "accidentally" doing it, though...

Regardless, I really need to see this movie. :P

Just so there's no confusion, I am gay and have been out for many years, but that isn't the reason I see myself being alone in the future. I'm a realist. On the bell curve of society I'm already on the edges based on my personality. Being gay just makes the pool of people I might "connect" with even smaller. It doesn't make me happy to say that, but it is what it is.

Just so there's no confusion, I am gay and have been out for many years, but that isn't the reason I see myself being alone in the future.  I'm a realist.  On the bell curve of society I'm already on the edges based on my personality.  Being gay just makes the pool of people I might "connect" with even smaller.  It doesn't make me happy to say that, but it is what it is.

Oh, I know... but TR commented about coming out and it made me add my own situation to it.