XLR-V Starts at $97,485

Bimmer325

That Jag is an outdated POS compared to the XLR. The Benz is nice but a tad overpriced.

You should have put a pic of the new 07 Jaguar XK convertible in there. A way way better car and a helluva lot better looking car than the previous Jag XK you show. Also don't forget that the revamped 07 Mercedes SL is coming out very soon, better powerplants, suspension, and a freshened exterior and interior. Cadillac's competition is heating up again.

Chas really wants a regular XLR, but with the way he drives it would be about a week before he wrapped it around a tree. I try not to get in the car with him driving. I told him his next car is a 1982 Benz diesel with a defective turbo.

Still..... I potentially see one of these in my future.

I think it will sell. It doesn't have the prestige of the Mercedes, so it can't command the same price. It undercuts it by $25,000 which is a fair amount. I think somebody is more likely to cross shop one of these with a fully loaded SL 500, and in that case the XLR-V may win based on personal preferences and performance.

You should have put a pic of the new 07 Jaguar XK convertible in there. A way way better car and a helluva lot better looking car than the previous Jag XK you show. Also don't forget that the revamped 07 Mercedes SL is coming out very soon, better powerplants, suspension, and a freshened exterior and interior. Cadillac's competition is heating up again.

I put the old XKR up only because the new one isn't available yet.

Even with the price and performance advantage compared to even the SL500, the Cadillac has it's work cut out for it. The Mercedes is a pretty hot machine (not that the XLR isn't) and has the prestige advantage. It's not like they plan on selling hundreds of thousands of these though, so it should do fine.

I think it will sell.  It doesn't have the prestige of the Mercedes, so it can't command the same price.  It undercuts it by $25,000 which is a fair amount.  I think somebody is more likely to cross shop one of these with a fully loaded SL 500, and in that case the XLR-V may win based on personal preferences and performance.

But XLR is an afterthought in the marketplace compared to SL.....so I don't see the V-series changing that. Don't forget about the 6-series convertible at around $85K....and the M6 (coupe) coming in at around the same price as the XLR-v.

This car is WAY overpriced in standard form. $100K for an XLR-v simply won't do.

Cadillac hasn't built it's brand equity up enough yet to compete in this price-range with a product such as the XLR.

I told him his next car is a 1982 Benz diesel with a defective turbo.

Might as well just walk. ^_^

Chas really wants a regular XLR, but with the way he drives it would be about a week before he wrapped it around a tree. I try not to get in the car with him driving. I told him his next car is a 1982 Benz diesel with a defective turbo.

Still..... I potentially see one of these in my future.

The XLRs have crappy resale value... I've seen them listed on eBay for under $50K.

make no mistake, that Mercedes is the finest piece of sheetmetal, nothin but character.

Wonder what Caddy is going to do next ? This basic "CTS" look is already 3 yrs old ? and they are just now getting this XLR-V to market ? Im not sure if this is the best way to "hit" the market. Seems after three or four years you would be hitting the market with the "next stage" not "also this."

Edited by razoredge

Just how much better is the XLR-V than the top of the line Corvette?

I simply can't see a difference of $35K for an XLR-v over my C6 Convertible.....? Folding hardtop or not....

If the normal XLR was $65K and the v-Series was $75K....then maybe it would be a much better value....and this would still put it up over a Corvette for "braggin" rights.

Compared to what? The SL isn't any better from what I can tell. KBB & Edmunds both show it holds its resale value similar to other vehicles in its class.

Just a clarification... that wasn't an "attack" on the XLR, but rather a reason why a used XLR is a steal. That's paying SLK money for what's essentially a SL competitor.

Start the XLR at $69,995 instead of $77,295 and the XLR-V at $84,295 including guzzler tax.

That's a good $30,000 undercut of the SL500 and $5,000 from the Jag and a whole $40,000 under an SL55.

That's motivation.

But why? The XLR sells fine at the price GM is charging, despite the cries of people here complaining about it who don't have that kind of money anyway. LOL. Why should GM charge less than what they can actually command? That's not the way to build Cadillac up again.

The BMW 6-series looks like ass. It's for people who have money, but poor vision and/or taste. I think I have seen one of them on the roads, and that was right after it came out a few years back, probably bought up by some die hard BMW fan.

Edited by Shantanu

make no mistake, that Mercedes is the finest piece of sheetmetal, nothin but character.

I disagree- I think it's nothing but awkward character lines and wierd plastic gills. And I've driven an SL500 and an XLR on the same day, and although the SL has more interior room, the electric brakes are just wierd feeling, and the steering seemed half a tick off at speed and over-boosted at low speed: the polar opposite of the 450SL I used to drive that felt a bit ponderous at low speed, but perfectly flickable at any speed over 35.

Start the XLR at $69,995 instead of $77,295 and the XLR-V at $84,295 including guzzler tax.

That's a good $30,000 undercut of the SL500 and $5,000 from the Jag and a whole $40,000 under an SL55.

That's motivation.

Why? To sell more XLRs? :rolleyes:

15% price decrease is going to make the profit margin razor-thin. You'd probably have to sell 4 times as many cars. Its also counter acting the prestige factor that selling a rare, and expensive, car brings.

P.S. Why should a 440hp hardtop convertable be priced under a 390hp ragtop?

Edited by erunion

P.S. Why should a 440hp hardtop convertable be priced under a 390hp ragtop?

Because Cadillac has always been more affordable than everyone else. Not, 'cheaper,' but more affordable. That makes the difference. Very few Cadillacs in the past IMO really commanded the extremely high price they were asking, the '57 Eldorado Brougham and Northstar Allante are among them.

Because Cadillac has always been more affordable than everyone else. Not, 'cheaper,' but more affordable. That makes the difference. Very few Cadillacs in the past IMO really commanded the extremely high price they were asking, the '57 Eldorado Brougham and Northstar Allante are among them.

No you must be thinking of Lexus, or maybe Acura.

I agree that Cadillac can't command "German" money. And perhaps it never will. But I think the way their cars are priced right now makes sense. Remember Bob lutz has said that Cadillac is no longer chasing volume, so they don't need price the XLR like Lexus does with their sports car to earn back their investment.

yes : I have this and it shows estimated output

Called the Northstar V-8 SC (supercharged), the engine produces 440 horsepower (328 kW) at 6400 rpm and 430 lb.-ft. (583 Nm) of torque at 3600 rpm (power and torque figures estimated) – and the engine’s power is underscored by its ability to deliver 90 percent of its peak torque between 2200 and 6000 rpm. Vehicle redline is 6700 rpm.

I believe they did determine that the engine in the STS-V did produce this power.

Posted Image

Edited by razoredge

I don't know what Cadillac's expectations are, but I see about ten times more SLs than XLRs.

I say either improve the XLR, particularly its interior and top operation, or lower the MSRP.

I think Cadillac only aimed to sell 3500 XLRs a year, or something around that figure. That's only about 300 a month, so that's why you see so many more SLs.

This is my point with the STS-V also. Lower the price and you might attract a few more buyers. People would say hey for 20 grand less I can have this, why pay more. I believe Mercedes got rid of the brake by wire because of too many problems and no one really liked them in the first place. The M6 will smoke the XLR-V and the SL55, that car is a rocket even though the looks don't appeal to everybody. But how can you go wrong with a carbon fiber roof...mmmm carbon fiber! Heres the link to the freshened SL courtesy of autolies.

http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?art...394&categoryId=

I don't know what Cadillac's expectations are, but I see about ten times more SLs than XLRs.

I say either improve the XLR, particularly its interior and top operation, or lower the MSRP.

Cadillac only wanted to sell 2500-3500 XLRs per year and guess they did just that since the car debuet late 2003.

Also just on price level.... the standard sl500 (93k w/ opt 103k) vs XLR-v (100k)...Please the Cadillac wins hands down.

Also with the Caddy one will not have to worry about their service charge being more than their mortage and with the Benz.

When people see the XLR on the street they go wow because their so rare versus the common SL.

Edited by blkcadillac

Cadillac only wanted to sell 2500-3500 XLRs per year and guess they did just that since the car debuet late 2003.

Also just on price level.... the standard sl500 (93k w/ opt 103k) vs XLR-v (100k)...Please the Cadillac wins hands down.

Also with the Caddy one will not have to worry about their service charge being more than their mortage and with the Benz.

When people see the XLR on the street they go wow because their so rare versus the common SL.

No the target sales for the XLR was 5000.

How many Z8s did BMW ever sell? It may not be meeting expectations, but sales are growing slowly in a segment that is showing large declines. The only coupes to show an increase in this price range are the 911 and the 6-Series, the latter because it's new and has an additional Cabrio model to shore up sales. Like the SC430 both are in a less rarified segment than the XLR and SL-Class. If they wanted volume they'd have gone for an even cheaper, more sedan-like coupe such as the G35 and CLK-Class, but even they are showing stress. Cheaper two-seaters such as the SLK- and Z4 aren't doing much better either. The SLK- still isn't as popular as the SL, despite strong growth with the R171, while the Z4 has tanked. In fact, looking at sales of two-seater roadsters, the XLR is probably not expensive enough to be really popular. In general it seems the lower the price the less you sell. Cadillac's problem in general really. They're too cheap to be really desirable (DTS buyers can complain all they like, but it's true).

I don't think you can classify the XLR-v winning "hands down" with this price comparison.

The SL may be the "normal" non-AMG car, but many upscale consumers see way more image, status, and style with the $100K SL than they do the $100K Caddy.

XLR is a no-show out here in this market. I can count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of XLRs I've EVER seen on the streets here.

Not to say it's a bad car....it's just competing in an arena that Cadillac hasn't earned yet. They will.....they started with the CTS and the Escalade.....but it's going to take a lot longer to get people to choose to spend $75K-$100K for a Cadillac OVER a competing BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

Don't get me wrong either, I do like the XLR because it is distinctive but it does have the deck stacked against when it is trying to establish itself in a very competitive market already. The Cadillac brand in general is making headway, but there is always that percentage of people that value the name of certain manufacturers over the other. Did anyone see the new 07 Mercedes SL65 and SL55, since we are talking about the XLR-Vs main rivals in here. I already posted the link to the 07 SL500. So here you go, Mercedes is upping the ante against all the other players, again!

http://mph-online.com/web/prtranslated/00492

Not to say it's a bad car....it's just competing in an arena that Cadillac hasn't earned yet.  They will.....they started with the CTS and the Escalade.....but it's going to take a lot longer to get people to choose to spend $75K-$100K for a Cadillac OVER a competing BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

I agree, and the real question is...is this REALLY a $100K car (I know, including dest) or is the fullfillment of this reoccuring theme that "Cadillac wants a $100,000 car"?. $100K for a Caddy is serious coin...especially if that price is reached by backing into the price of the car simply to hit a lofty price point.

I guess as always, the consumers in the market will decide.