Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What new vehicles are in store for Buick

Newbiewar

Well, its obvious that Buick is trying to go back to the refined and premium vehicles that they once made. going back to the luxurious and styled vehicles.

and just a second ago i was thinking, what cars will be in store for the future buick?

and if Buick changes peoples perception, enough so that people will buy them. what is their perception?

so basically what i am questioning, is what type of cars should buick be making?

always Buick has made full size sedans. Always.

Buick has catered to people who desire comfort.

well... why does Buick only offer full size sedans, or maybe the lacross is a midsize, but no compacts?

what does GM have to compete with the IS350, most people who buy that type of car arent going to be racing it anyway, so why doesnt Pontiac and Buick share a delta sized rwd car that buick has the style and comfort and pontiac has the exciteable performance version...

would a compact sedan work for Buicks image? or future image?

i dont want to see a compact under cadillacs name... so it must go esle where...

Edited by Newbiewar

cADILLAC cOMPACT? NO!!!

Buick compact? Sure< call it skylark. :)

I think a semi-luxury, stylish car based on the same platform as the cobalt/ion could be good for Buick. Skylark would be a great name, too. Something that's a good blend of mature & cool. I think some neat things could be done with the point in the middle of the grill like the '90's skylarks had, too.

I think a semi-luxury, stylish car based on the same platform as the cobalt/ion could be good for Buick.  Skylark would be a great name, too.  Something that's a good blend of mature & cool.  I think some neat things could be done with the point in the middle of the grill like the '90's skylarks had, too.

personally i think all cadillacs and buicks and pontiacs need to be rwd...

saturn saab and chevy can have the diverse ones... but give me the rwd for the primum brands

Buick does need a smaller car than the LaCrosse but the Delta platform isn't the answer. Buick needs a premium Epsilon based car with the 2.8 high feature v6 standard & the 3.6 V6 as the optional engine. Something between the Pontiac G6 & the Saab 9-3. Skylark is not the name they should call it some thing that matches the current naming theme of Lucerne, LaCrosse& Enclave. Buick also needs a smaller premium crossover & base this proposed smaller sedan/crossover on the same platform...

the next Generation Lacrosse will probably move to the Epsilion II platform.

the Lacrosse, Malibu, Aura Saab 9-3 and G6 will probably all be built on this platform.. probably just in sedan form for the Buick.. but id like to see a Buick Epsilion coupe maybe a return or the Rivera?? sort of like a reskinned Pontiac G6 coupe..

I agree that BUICK needs a coupe. The last generation Riviera was aggressively styled, but was WAY TOO BIG and the interior execution was lacking. Something the size of the LaX would be great (not necessarily on that same platform).

Does anyone know what changes are in store for LaX this fall? New grill? Reserve?

I agree that BUICK needs a coupe.  The last generation Riviera was aggressively styled, but was WAY TOO BIG and the interior execution was lacking.  Something the size of the LaX would be great (not necessarily on that same platform).

Does anyone know what changes are in store for LaX this fall?  New grill?  Reserve?

I'd like to see a "Riviera" coupe. I would like a large, luxury coupe... I think that'd be a vehicle I could see myself in, since I consider myself a "sedan" man.

I'd like to see a "Riviera" coupe.  I would like a large, luxury coupe... I think that'd be a vehicle I could see myself in, since I consider myself a "sedan" man.

Could do one on the EpII long wheelbase, classic cues with long wheelbase to balance a '65 Rive style coupe...could work....

Could do one on the EpII long wheelbase, classic cues with long wheelbase to balance a '65 Rive style coupe...could work....

How about a redesigned LaCrosse on the EpII, hot sedan... and then a coupe version called Riviera.

Kinda like the Camry has its Solara. Only not ugly.

If Buick is going to survive, they need to branch out of their comfort zones and get with it. Enclave shows promise, but a full-size car-based crossover near-luxury SUV is not the only piece of the puzzle. They need to cater to the comfortable near-luxury segment, think ES330/Milan/Sebring (this is where the LaCrosse Epsilon II comes in, circa 2010 model year), and I think a Skyhawk Delta would still be a great idea. I see a lot of Acura TSX's in my area, and Audi A4 and Volvo S40/V50 provide nice competition for a near-luxury front-drive compact. A Cadillac or Saab is not the answer, and Saturn or Pontiac sure aren't either. It would and should look like the 2000 LaCrosse, 1999 Cielo, 2004 Velite, 2001 Bengal, and 1998 Signia concept cars in styling, with 2.4-liter ECOTEC 175hp I-4 and 2.8-liter DOHC High Feature 210hp V-6 engines.

2008 Buick lineup: La Crosse, Lucerne, Enclave, Terraza.

(Enclave is replacing both the Rainier and Rendezvous?).

Something with 2 doors would be nice.... i.e. Riviera.

Edited by moltar

Buick needs a full size coupe/convertible. Something with Velite/Enclave styling that will get a lot of buzz.

Right now there is now full size coupe/convertible on the market. This would not compete with any other GM car.

This car needs to be offered as a coupe and a soft-top convertible so it has a decent sized Buick trunk.

It needs to stay under 40K.

It needs to have a full color offering, not the mistake of the mid 80's Riviera convertible that only came in red and white.

I'll tell ya what Buick needs... let me preface this by saying that all of these vehicles should expound on the Velite and Enclave styling themes. It's just my thoughts, but Buick doesn't need to invent the wheel. Use the Zeta (or whatever the hell afordable RWD platform is coming to NA)... All of these cars should handle well (without necessarily being very sporty; leave that to Caddy). They should be quiet, and powerful. Tasteful and refined. Any reference I use to the V6 is the 270HP HFV6 used in the Enclave; the V8 should be the N* rated @350HP. Future Caddy's should use a version of the V6 at around 300HP, and a V8 at around 400HP now (to remain competitive with the Germans and Lexus/Infiniti). That means the Buick will be powerful, but can be offered at a value compared to the competition, while also not stepping on Caddy's toes.

The next Lacrosse should be smaller, RWD. Use the 3.6 from the Lambda. Make it as plush and well appointed as possible. It should be full loaded, with very few options (like Navi).

The nex Lucerne should be a larger car on the same platform; Basically, do the same as with the Lacrosse on the next level up; sell it for $37K(V6), $39.5 (V8), and have just a few options again, with fully optioned version selling at around $40K for the V6; $44 for the V8.

Flagship @ $48K. Have niceities like Navi standard, and leave a few options like larger wheels. It should be the size of the S or 7, and be quieter than the LS (with just as many appointments.

The next gen Theta SUV. It should use the 3.6L V6 found in the rest of the range. It should be priced at $28-29K (the Caddy Theta should be $31-32K to start).

Enclave, ofcourse. V6 starting at $35-36K; V8 a few grand more.

Velite - A hard top convertible using the RWD Lucerne's platform; V8 only, quiet and powerful; more of a SC competitor than a SL/Xlr compeitior. If the powers that be think that another lux hard top convertible from GM is overkill, make it a coupe version of the Lucerne; a blvd cruiser that would be seen as an alternative to the 6-Series coupe.

As far as Caddy, they're pricing structure would be much more similar to MB's etc., offering more options and a sportier performance. Also, it'd have a fuller lineup, with the Escalade and V-Series... so, there's room for two lux makes at GM, IMO.

Well, its obvious that Buick is trying to go back to the refined and premium vehicles that they once made.  going back to the luxurious and styled vehicles. 

and just a second ago i was thinking, what cars will be in store for the future buick?

and if Buick changes peoples perception, enough so that people will buy them.  what is their perception?

so basically what i am questioning, is what type of cars should buick be making?

always Buick has made full size sedans.  Always.

well... why does Buick only offer full size sedans, or maybe the lacross is a midsize, but no compacts?

what does GM have to compete with the IS350, most people who buy that type of car arent going to be racing it anyway, so why doesnt Pontiac and Buick share a delta sized rwd car that buick has the style and comfort and pontiac has the exciteable performance version...

i dont want to see a compact under cadillacs name... so it must go esle where...

I agree with most of what you're saying. Regarding the V8, it can't be the Northstar because it was already stated it couldn't fit in the Enclave. It'll have to be another V8.

With todays gas prices and the push for higher gas mileage cars, I think a luxury "small" car from Buick would be perfect. It would be difficult to execute though as they don't want to dilute the brand like the did in the 80s and 90s. With that said I think the Cobalt/Ion platform is too small for a Buick. An Epsilon with a 4-cyl or better yet, a V-6 hybird would be a much better answer.

A smaller Buick could be delightful, especially if rear-drive and V6 powered to seem "relaxed" in driving. It's all in the details!!!

Buick should have a rear-drive full-sizer along the lines of 7-Series, A8, S-Class, but perhaps for the price of a loaded E.

A smaller Buick could be delightful, especially if rear-drive and V6 powered to seem "relaxed" in driving. It's all in the details!!!

Buick should have a rear-drive full-sizer along the lines of 7-Series, A8, S-Class, but perhaps for the price of a loaded E.

What gets me is that Caddy doesn't have a car that can compete with the 7-series, A8 or S-Class... why do people think a lesser luxury division, Buick, should get a car that competes with that?

• 4 months later...

?

always Buick has made full size sedans.  Always.

83665[/snapback]

You musta just come out of diapers!

In 1961-64 Buick made a car called the Special that was a compact, and had two sisters, the Oldsmobile Cutlass and the Pontiac Tiempo.

I had one of the '62 models, and it was one of the best cars I ever owned!

They killed it when they made it fatter and called it Regal! :yes:

I agree 100%.

96696[/snapback]

I think all Cadillacs should be RWD with AWD as an option, but Buick should have both... I would think a slightly smaller than LaCrosse FWD sedan would be nice, a slightly larger than LaCrosse RWD sedan, and then a bit, beautiful, larger than Lucerne, RWD, premium sedan. Oh, and a 4-seater, RWD/AWD coupe/convertible.

In 1961-64 Buick made a car called the Special that was a compact, and had two sisters, the Oldsmobile Cutlass and the Pontiac Tiempo.

166745[/snapback]

Heck, as recent as the '80s Buick had a compact 4-cyl model (Skyhawk). Though it was just a lousy J-car.. and the compact Special was '61-63, with the Pontiac version being the Tempest. The '64 Special was a midsize A-body..

I think all Cadillacs should be RWD with AWD as an option, but Buick should have both...  I would think a slightly smaller than LaCrosse FWD sedan would be nice, a slightly larger than LaCrosse RWD sedan, and then a bit, beautiful, larger than Lucerne, RWD, premium sedan.  Oh, and a 4-seater, RWD/AWD coupe/convertible.

166747[/snapback]

All the craze these days is for RWD!

RWD is fine is younger drivers want speed and va--rooooom!

However, as an OLDER driver I must tell you that I appreciate the FWD because of safer driving in winter conditions. I just sold my GMC Envoy which I thoroughly enjoyed except driving it in the winter. I now own and will keep my 2006 Lucerne FWD!

:ohyeah:

Heck, as recent as the '80s Buick had a compact 4-cyl model (Skyhawk).  Though it was just a lousy J-car..  and the compact Special was '61-63, with the Pontiac version being the Tempest.  The '64 Special was a midsize A-body..

166783[/snapback]

Buick has had compact cars as late as 1997 (or 98 with Fleet) with the Skylark. The Reatta I'm sure fits in to the compact category as well too. Buick has made compacts but just not consistently.

Buick has had compact cars as late as 1997 (or 98 with Fleet) with the Skylark. The Reatta I'm sure fits in to the compact category as well too. Buick has made compacts but just not consistently.

166835[/snapback]

Yeah, I forgot about the '90s Skylark..kind of a wierder looking Grand Am sibling..

Buick had compacts in the 70's, too. {Opels dont count} The RWD X body [Nova] 73-79 Apollo/Skylark were compacts. The 75-80 Skyhawk was a 'sub-compact', based on Chevy Monza/Vega H body.

The 61-63 Special/F85/Tempest were loosely based on the Corvair! Shared unibody platform. But they were marketed as 'senior compacts'. The 64 BOF A body replaced them all, and reclassed Mid sized.

Edited by Chicagoland

August issue of Motor Trend stated that "Buick will offer Lexus-style luxury in front-drive sedans and crossovers" with Pontiac getting the all rear-drive platforms to concentrate on "performance". All this in an effort for the Buick/Pontiac/GMC sales channel to offer "products with completely different design and fucntional attributes from the other at a single showroom, rather than each competing in every market segment". While this makes sense to me, who knows where they got their information and if it's true and/or will change.

I, too, would like to see at least one or two RWD Buicks. Not only because I just like RWD better, but because I'd like to see BUICK spank the "all glorious lexus" in every respect. You know, have a flagship offering, as well as a sportier seadan/coupe, (like the lexus GS). But in reality, as long as GM addresses the torque steer issue (as they have in the Grand Prix), I don't have a problem with FWD Buicks...with 5 or 6 spd auto trans or course.

August issue of Motor Trend stated that "Buick will offer Lexus-style luxury in front-drive sedans and crossovers" with Pontiac getting the all rear-drive platforms to concentrate on "performance".  All this in an effort for the Buick/Pontiac/GMC sales channel to offer "products with completely different design and fucntional attributes from the other at a single showroom, rather than each competing in every market segment".  While this makes sense to me, who knows where they got their information and if it's true and/or will change. 

I, too, would like to see at least one or two RWD Buicks.  Not only because I just like RWD better, but because I'd like to see BUICK spank the "all glorious lexus" in every respect.  You know, have a flagship offering, as well as a sportier seadan/coupe, (like the lexus GS).  But in reality, as long as GM addresses the torque steer issue (as they have in the Grand Prix), I don't have a problem with FWD Buicks...with 5 or 6 spd auto trans or course.

170599[/snapback]

If Buick is to remain all FWD (and I SERIOUSLY hope NOT--and doubt it because I thought it was pretty confirmed the NG Lucerne was Zeta, no?), then they must offer AWD as options. I feel that'd be essential if you were to offer an entire lineup of FWD Premium cars.

Never, ever, take what MT says as 'the word'. They are 90% of time reporting hearsay or dated info. In fact all the monthly car rags are reporting old news or just rumors. Only thing the rags are good for is road tests, nostolgia, and 'nice drive' stories

I only believe press releases from the manufacturers.

I'd like to see a "Riviera" coupe.  I would like a large, luxury coupe... I think that'd be a vehicle I could see myself in, since I consider myself a "sedan" man.

85100[/snapback]

Well... considering the name "Riviera" means hardtop I'm with you

so long as the B-pillar is swallowed along with the rear glass into

the rear quarters at the push of a power window button.

Never, ever, take what MT says as 'the word'. They are 90% of time reporting hearsay or dated info. In fact all the monthly car rags are reporting old news or just rumors. Only thing the rags are good for is road tests, nostolgia,  and 'nice drive' stories

I only believe press releases from the manufacturers.

170606[/snapback]

I agree, that's why a said: "who knows where they got their info and if it's true". But there are many who believe FWD is the best all around choice for vehicles that are not purely "performance" oriented. I don't happen to be one of them, however, I'm not out on great quality FWD (eg: Lucerne) with the inherent short comings of that design addressed with legit engineering (eg: Pontiac GXP), with AWD as an option... That's just my opinion. What is apparent is that Buick has only FWD (excluding Rainer) and this newest entry, the Enclave is a FWD platform. I love that AWD is going to be available. If so, that is how mine (or my wife's) will be equipped.

If the 2010 Lucerne is RWD, I will own 2 Buicks...

GM doesn't have any future FWD platforms for cars larger than Epsilon, so I don't know how Buick could remain all FWD anyway, unless they're going to keep updating the G body.

Edited by ehaase

If you're only interested in Porsche 911's and BMW's, as those seem to dominate their road tests.  After 33 years of MT, 22 years of C&D, and 20 years of Automobile, I will probably not renew.  I may stop subscribing to AN after 24 years, as I can get all the information here.

170635[/snapback]

Sad, isn't it? I have every issue of both C&D and MT for the last 17 years and I too am considering not renewing. The bias towards most things foreign is so bad it's stupid. I'm sick of the jabs at GM, Buick in particular. I'm 35 years old and I happen to like the Lucerne and Lacrosse a lot.

Sad, isn't it?  I have every issue of both C&D and MT for the last 17 years and I too am considering not renewing.  The bias towards most things foreign is so bad it's stupid.  I'm sick of the jabs at GM, Buick in particular.  I'm 35 years old and I happen to like the Lucerne and Lacrosse a lot.

170651[/snapback]

29-yrs old :thumbsup:

Buick needs a full size coupe/convertible.  Something with Velite/Enclave styling that will get a lot of buzz. 

86955[/snapback]

As much as I agree that would be HOT....there is absolutely no market for a full-size coupe/convertible in that price range.

Everything is centered either below that (G6 Coupe, Mustang, Solara) or well above (XK, 6-series, CL)

And a full-size Riviera-type vehicle wouldn't eschew enough cache as a Buick for someone considering an XK or 6-series to step down.

Additionally, for the same reason, you'd be tough to draw a $45K BMW 3-series coupe driver into a $40-$45K "Riviera."

Leave it to Cadillac. It doesn't pencil for Buick.

166745[/snapback]

A Buick along the lines of the Bolero would be a hot small buick even today.

Instead....back then....when Buick could have brought the Bolero to market....we got the beak-nosed Skylark.

:duh:

Heck, as recent as the '80s Buick had a compact 4-cyl model (Skyhawk).  Though it was just a lousy J-car..  and the compact Special was '61-63, with the Pontiac version being the Tempest.  The '64 Special was a midsize A-body..

166783[/snapback]

I LOVED my Skyhawk!

In fact, I always thought it was the nicest J-car out there....with a much more import-like dash and I/P arrangement than what you got in the Chevy, Pontiac, or Cadillac.

Mine was an '89 with the 2.0L and 5-speed manual, white with grey interior, "shelby" aluminum wheels with the "T" sport package....and the flip up lights.

I ran it for 80K-plus miles with nary a problem. Even the 2.0L didn't run that bad when hitched to the manual tranny. I believe in '89, it pushed out more power....like it was up to 110hp or something like that.

Sad, isn't it?  I have every issue of both C&D and MT for the last 17 years and I too am considering not renewing.  The bias towards most things foreign is so bad it's stupid.  I'm sick of the jabs at GM, Buick in particular.  I'm 35 years old and I happen to like the Lucerne and Lacrosse a lot.

170651[/snapback]

As many of us have debated on here for a long time.....

REGARDLESS of our affection for GM products....it can be argued the buff mags aren't so much biased as they are calling out the less-than-well-executed GM products of recent history.

Corvettes, CTSs, and GM full-size SUVs and pickups have consistently done well in MT and CD comparison tests. And they deserved to. That's the difference.

REGARDLESS of our affection for GM products....it can be argued the buff mags aren't so much biased as they are calling out the less-than-well-executed GM products of recent history.

171234[/snapback]

I argue that the buff mags favor and test cars that I could never afford and don't interest me, so it's time for me to stop subscribing to them.

As many of us have debated on here for a long time.....

Corvettes, CTSs, and GM full-size SUVs and pickups have consistently done well in MT and CD comparison tests.  And they deserved to.  That's the difference.

171234[/snapback]

They're inconsistent, and many writers for both are biased. That is a fact. Take sept '06 C&D. $70k Corvette Z06 loses a 3way with a $130k Porsche 911 and a $192k Ferrai F430. After stating "the Z06 is the best performance value in the world, period" it 'loses the comparison because of "poor seats and interior quality". Maybe for another $100k GM could locate some Porsche quality seats for 'em. Many cars have lost based simply on price. I've seen that over and over. Other times it doesn't seem to mean anything.

Aug '06 MT. Caddy CTS-V vs. Audi RS4. There is only $22k separating these two. Audi wins, of course. They comment that the Audi performs better in every parameter....which means 0-60 by 4 tenths of a second, 0-100 by 3 tenths of a second, 60-0 braking by 12 feet, and the quarter mile by 4 tenths of a second. The fact the Caddy gets better mileage, has better weight distribution, has smaller turning radius, has more head/leg/shoulder room, and offers the same warranty for $22k less doesn't mean much. They go on to say "the fit, finish, and materials quality for the audi stands heads above the Cadillac. Really?? I've owned a BMW...have looked at the Audi and I don't see the vast superiority of the German cars or japanese offerings. It's NOT TRUE.

Aug '06 C&D Cadillac XLR places 5th out of 5 because of the high price, cramped quarters, questionable styling, and attenduated driver involement. The Mercedes in the test cost $2375 more than the caddy. The Cadillac won EVERY acceleration test. Every one.

The mazda cx-7 that got 14 mpg with a 4 cylinder, gets a pass for getting crappy mileage. You won't see that happening with the much more capable Suburban. It's a huge gas guzzling hulk, right?

American cars are not w/o their flaws and I don't want to let any car company get off with making bad cars. The rags perpetuate the lie that American cars are inferior to the japanese and german cars. It's just not true. The lexus es rides silky smooth and is tomb like quite, but Buicks are floaty, numb, and ill-handling... whatever....they're biased.

As much as I agree that would be HOT....there is absolutely no market for a full-size coupe/convertible in that price range.

Everything is centered either below that (G6 Coupe, Mustang, Solara) or well above (XK, 6-series, CL)

171229[/snapback]

Just because there isn't a vehicle in that market doesn't mean there isn't a market for it.

If you have similar vehicles below that price range as well as above it, from a marketing perspective, doesn't that mean there should be a demand for something in the middle as well?

If GM actually had the balls to allow Buick to make a Velite coupe/convertible or something similar and could fit it in between that price range and marketed it as such ( saying it's not equivilant to something like the XK which is "too expensive" but boasting its betterness over the cheaper products) it would be priced exactly where...a BUICK should be priced! Middle class!

It wouldn't only help improve their image as a middle of the road company that isn't too expensive nor too cheap, but it'd finally give Buick some zest.

I think there is a market for a full size convertible. People buy the Saab, Solara, and Sebring because they have to. There is nothing bigger offered. I'm over 6 feet and wanted a convertible and would have easily bought something bigger. I had to get a 3 series Beemer because the pickings are slim.

I think a full size Buick convertible priced in the high 30s would sell very, very well.

If Buick built the Velite, people would buy it because it such a fantastically beautiful car. The fact that it is a convertible is almost secondary to me....I'm not big into convertibles, but I'd buy the a Velite. Historically, large 2 doors of any kind tend to sell slower than 4 door...right? The solara is a goner now...

BTW, the cowl shake in the sebring convertible is so bad, it's scary.... :blink:

Edited by GMman

They're inconsistent, and many writers for both are biased.  That is a fact.  Take sept '06 C&D.  $70k Corvette Z06 loses a 3way with a $130k Porsche 911 and a $192k Ferrai F430.  After stating "the Z06 is the best performance value in the world, period" it 'loses the comparison because of "poor seats and interior quality".  Maybe for another $100k GM could locate some Porsche quality seats for 'em.  Many cars have lost based simply on price.  I've seen that over and over.  Other times it doesn't seem to mean anything. 

Aug '06 MT.  Caddy CTS-V vs. Audi RS4.  There is only $22k separating these two.  Audi wins, of course.  They comment that the Audi performs better in every parameter....which means 0-60 by 4 tenths of a second, 0-100 by 3 tenths of a second, 60-0 braking by 12 feet, and the quarter mile by 4 tenths of a second.  The fact the Caddy gets better mileage, has better weight distribution, has smaller turning radius, has more head/leg/shoulder room, and offers the same warranty for $22k less doesn't mean much.  They go on to say "the fit, finish, and materials quality for the audi stands heads above the Cadillac.  Really??  I've owned a BMW...have looked at the Audi and I don't see the vast superiority of the German cars or japanese offerings.  It's NOT TRUE.

Aug '06 C&D Cadillac XLR places 5th out of 5 because of the high price, cramped quarters, questionable styling, and attenduated driver involement.  The Mercedes in the test cost $2375 more than the caddy.  The Cadillac won EVERY acceleration test.  Every one.

The mazda cx-7 that got 14 mpg with a 4 cylinder, gets a pass for getting crappy mileage.  You won't see that happening with the much more capable Suburban.  It's a huge gas guzzling hulk, right?

American cars are not w/o their flaws and I don't want to let any car company get off with making bad cars.  The rags perpetuate the lie that American cars are inferior to the japanese and german cars.  It's just not true.  The lexus es rides silky smooth and is tomb like quite, but Buicks are floaty, numb, and ill-handling... whatever....they're biased.

171454[/snapback]

Well in your examples....I've driven an F430 and you know what? It does feel like it's worth the money over the Corvette. C&D were probably on the money there. They are not dissing the Corvette....just saying that there's a tangible difference in what $70K buys you versus what $192K buys you. I haven't driven the new Turbo so I can't comment on that.

Any Audi DOES have a much more tightly-executed interior with vastly superior plastics than the CTS. There is no contest. Fit-and-finish are pretty close between the two...it's the material quality that is simply much better in the Audi.

The XLR-v deserved to place 5th as far as I can tell. Acceleration isn't the only issue to consider. The Caddy is overpriced for what you get....has an almost useless trunk with the top down....and has an interior that, while nice...is not $100K-nice.

I don't remember the CX-7's as-tested mpg....but it's EPA ratings are comparable to other V6 crossovers. AND, it's a "4-cyl" that happens to shoot from 0-60 in the mid-7sec range...and that's with the heavy AWD version.

I'm just sorry that you are mistaking the buff mags calling out GM on their product deficiences as "bias." That's a sad viewpoint......and an unrealistic viewpoint....