And look, the coupe and sedan are shown AT THE SAME TIME. How does Honda do it? HOW do they spread their engineering dollars so far as to show TWO bodystyles at once? Simply astonishing.

BOO on Chevrolet and their stinkin' Cruze... dowdy little invisimobile.

• Agree 1

Windshield nearly reaches the center of the front tire. The Podification of the automobile continues....

Man maximum, machine minimum (reduce exterior size and increase interior size). That is the philosophy that Honda is following, so don't expect to see any long hoods.

Barring a poor interior or drivetrain, I am getting set to trade-in my A4 for either an EX-L or Si sedan this Spring/Summer. The current Si Sedan is too blah inside and out for me, but this new one looks a lot better, and the shifter location is more normal, which is good (no AT for me).

Edited by siegen

Man maximum, machine minimum (reduce exterior size and increase interior size). That is the philosophy that Honda is following, so don't expect to see any long hoods.

Barring a poor interior or drivetrain, I am getting set to trade-in my A4 for either an EX-L or Si sedan this Spring/Summer. The current Si Sedan is too blah inside and out for me, but this new one looks a lot better, and the shifter location is more normal, which is good (no AT for me).

Where is the interior picture? Honda normally blacks out the windows so you can't see the interior and this looks to be the case here. I didn't see any interior pictures in the gallery.

Hmmm..the sedan looks pretty much the same as the current model...the coupe looks like it has a similar greenhouse as the Accord coupe..

And look, the coupe and sedan are shown AT THE SAME TIME. How does Honda do it? HOW do they spread their engineering dollars so far as to show TWO bodystyles at once? Simply astonishing.

BOO on Chevrolet and their stinkin' Cruze... dowdy little invisimobile.

Plus there will be 2 more hatchback bodystyles for Europe and other markets.

Well, Honda is a small company..they have a few models, a few platforms to spend their $$$ on..so they can be focused. GM has to spread their $$$ across many models, many platforms...

Not sure I like the coupe, but I really like the sedan. It instantly makes the current car look even more dowdy than it already looked.

2009_civic_sedan_lx-s_front_quarter.jpg

2012_civic_sedan_concept.jpg

I actually like it better than the Cruze. Like way better.

Also, thank you Honda for not using tumors for head/tail lights.

Would be nice if those wheels make it to production.

Front three-quarter view of the sedan looks better, but the plastic triangle thingie and quarter window at the leading edge of the front side windows are a step backwards. I'm not sure the Fit-style taillights are an improvement.

Spy pics showed that the interior also is evolving from the current vehicle, nothing earth-shattering.

I think the sedan looks great, especially in white with the blacked out roof. I see it's lost the triangle window that the old Civic had in favor of a bigger A-pillar. The 2012 Focus has something similar; wonder how that affects visibility.

I'm changing my tune a bit here: this will definitely hold the number two spot on my list of favorite new compact cars, in terms of appearance and features. First place is still held by the Focus, though.

The Cruze is a nice car, don't get me wrong, but it's wholly uninteresting. The styling is anti-dynamic, the powertrain options seem silly now that they're in the Sonic, and having one choice as far as bodystyles go ... ehhhhhh, I can think of better cars to spend eighteen big 'ens on.

The styling is evolutionary, but I think if you compare it side-by-side to the previous gen the difference will be very substantial. This new Civic is far more curvy and stylish than the previous. It makes the old one look like a brick. I really like the deep contour line that runs down the side, and the design overall flows much better.

What's funny is when Toyota pulled this same stunt on the new Corolla (new facias, some side flair on the same damn car), you guys justifiably crucified them for it.

Now imagine GM did new facias refreshed interior on the Cobalt...what would the reaction be then?

What's funny is when Toyota pulled this same stunt on the new Corolla (new facias, some side flair on the same damn car), you guys justifiably crucified them for it.

Now imagine GM did new facias refreshed interior on the Cobalt...what would the reaction be then?

The difference here is that the civic looks much better now, the Corolla looks worse, and Honda added some definition to the sides and gave the greenhouse a similar but more sporty rake.

They have not abandoned compact coupe buyers a every other manufacturer has. For that, they will be rewarded.

Fixed.

Mitsubishi has even announced the termination of the Eclipse now.

The only compact coupes left are the Civic and Forte.

Well, the Eclipse is a 2+2 sports car, not in the same class. Mitsu does not have the money to give us a proper Eclipse as it was in the 90's.

Don't forget the tC, the new one is tougher looking and better than the old, bland one.

Also, with my comments here, I am trying to show my affinity toward the domestics. There was a very good percentage of Cobalt coupes sold. Where will those customers go? They will go somewhere. GM has nothing for them. Chevrolet should have a small, sporty coupe as a stepping stone to the Camaro.

This whole idea that coupes need to be expensive halo cars does not wash with me.

I guess the sales just aren't strong enough to support coupes anymore beyond performance and luxury niches. Compact, midsize and full size 2dr versions of sedans are pretty much all gone. The mainstream 'personal luxury' coupe niche is gone w/ the demise of the Monte Carlo and Solara. Other than the Wrangler, 2dr SUVs are gone.

Sad.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Supposedly there's also a Jetta coupe coming (unless I'm mistaken). That I think could make me forgive all the sedan's shortcomings, especially if it looks like a baby A5.

As for Dodge, they gave up the coupe market when the first gen Neon was replaced, however with Fiat in the mix, and their acess to a variety of small vehicles and platforms, maybe we will see a coupe or 3-door. I'll just be happy with a good looking sedan at this point.

Both Honda and Toyota created evolutionary upgrades to their successful Corolla and Civic. GM creates an entirely different compact with a brand new name every generation so that buyers don't associate it with previous models. Now, who's pulling the stunts? ;-]

While Toyota's upgrade to the Corolla made it look even more pedestrian, Honda's upgrade to the Civic (from the looks of it) makes it look more stylish and less pedestrian. This upgrade will probably boost Honda's share of the compact market. It's perfect timing as gas prices are starting to spike again. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time wheeling and dealing to get me one of these this Spring/Summer. :-[

I guess the sales just aren't strong enough to support coupes anymore beyond performance and luxury niches. Compact, midsize and full size 2dr versions of sedans are pretty much all gone. The mainstream 'personal luxury' coupe niche is gone w/ the demise of the Monte Carlo and Solara. Other than the Wrangler, 2dr SUVs are gone.

Sad.

Honda still has the Accord coupe and Nissan has the Altima coupe.

Both of which are worthy (the Datsun less so, with rather unfortunate styling). I'd love to see a new Sentra/200SX coupe with SE-R availability to reclaim the magic of the first SE-R... which itself was a credible attempt to reclaim the magic of the 60's 510.

Sad.

If GM is to justify with a business plan, something like a Camaro, then they can't cannibalize it with too many other 2 doors within their own walls. Note how the Monte died when the Camaro came back.

Another evolution is the fact that something like a Camaro actually is a luxury coupe nowadays, with its level of kit and refinement and price.

So in a limited market, there can be only be so many offerings, or all (or most) of them fail to add to the bottom line.

I'll be surprised if the Accord and Altima coupes survive. We may still have the Scion Tc, and the Forte Koups of the world. The Koreans might be the only ones who will be able to proliferate body styles in the future.

And of course, the Germans, who seem to make endless versions of their models, seemingly without regard to demand (X6 as an example).

Just curious to know if the "Accord" crosstour outsells the "Accord coupe"...that'd be all you need to know there.....

Edited by regfootball

• 9 months later...