Lincoln Ponders A Performance Division

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a performance version of a Lincoln?

Lincoln Ponders A Performance Division

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

May 2, 2011

post-10485-0-15190500-1304371848.png

Nearly every luxury brand have a performance line that's designated by either a single letter or group of letters; Cadillac's V, BMW's M, Mercedes-Benz's AMG, and Audi's S and RS to name a few. One brand not on this list is Lincoln, but that could be changing.

Rumor has it that Ford is deciding whether to create a performance line for Lincoln. The move would help Lincoln show that it's serious in competing with other luxury brands. The vehicles that are presumed to get some muscle are the MKS and MKZ sedans, using modified EcoBoost engines and a AWD system to put the power onto the road.

A decision could be made by the end of the year.

Source: AutoBlog, Car & Driver

Too bad they don't offer a final edition of the Town Car w/ the new 5.0 engine. Or w/ the GT500's 5.4 engine. And suspension and brake improvements. That would be a Hot Rod Lincoln I'd want to own..

It's just hard for me to take the FWD models seriously.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Too bad they don't offer a final edition of the Town Car w/ the new 5.0 engine. Or w/ the GT500's 5.4 engine. And suspension and brake improvements. That would be a Hot Rod Lincoln I'd want to own..

You beat me to the punch... I was going to suggest HR (for Hot Rod) Lincoln as the performance branding... but unfortunately a HR Lincoln MKS or whatever leaves me flat, regardless of name.

I want to install a 5.0 V8 into a Town Car or the LS sedan.. a sleeper

Its a crime against nature, but I'd rather see a LSA or 392 Hemi installed in a Town Car/LS sedan than the 5.0. I'm just not into the 5.0, or Fords modular V8s for that matter.

Its a crime against nature, but I'd rather see a LSA or 392 Hemi installed in a Town Car/LS sedan than the 5.0. I'm just not into the 5.0, or Fords modular V8s for that matter.

Aggghhh...so wrong on so many levels...like trying to breed a dog w/ a cat..:) I really like Ford's new 5.0 from what I've read...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Aggghhh...so wrong on so many levels...like trying to breed a dog w/ a cat..:) I really like Ford's new 5.0 from what I've read...

I'm fine with that :smilewide:

How about Lincoln ponder being a luxury division first. At least when Ford owned Jaguar, there was an excuse as to why Lincoln couldn't move up.... but now it's just Lincoln and Ford.

I really hadn't thought about that before. Ford had an almost Sloan like hierarchy there.

Ford - Chevy

Mercury - Oldsmobile

Mazda - Saturn (the domestically owned car company that made people think they were driving foreign)

Lincoln - Buick (big, floaty, old)

Volvo - Saab (for the quirks of course)

Land Rover - Hummer (not a direct comparison, but premium SUVs none the less)

Jaguar - Cadillac (meant to be the king of the hill)

How about Lincoln ponder being a luxury division first. At least when Ford owned Jaguar, there was an excuse as to why Lincoln couldn't move up.... but now it's just Lincoln and Ford.

I really hadn't thought about that before. Ford had an almost Sloan like hierarchy there.

Ford - Chevy

Mercury - Oldsmobile

Mazda - Saturn (the domestically owned car company that made people think they were driving foreign)

Lincoln - Buick (big, floaty, old)

Volvo - Saab (for the quirks of course)

Land Rover - Hummer (not a direct comparison, but premium SUVs none the less)

Jaguar - Cadillac (meant to be the king of the hill)

I've always thought that, the Big Three were all like that

GM = Isuzu/Opel/Lotus/Holden/Vuxhaul & Saab

Ford = Mazda/Ford Germany/Jaguar/Ford AU/NA/Volvo

Chrysler = Mitsubishi/Simca/Roots/Chrysler AU/PSA/ Hooked up with MB

Performance version of what? Lincolns are just a fancy Fusion or Taurus, they already are about maxed on the power they can put in those FWD platforms, and regardless of power, you can't make a Fusion platform handle like a CTS, much less a BMW or Infiniti.

The only RWD Aussie Ford is the Falcon. Size-wise it's in-between the the MKS and the MKZ. Actually it's similar in size to the LS. I'm not sure how it would fit in the Lincoln range.

Well, since the LS is long gone, I'd say a Lincoln Falcon (MKF?) would start kicking ass and taking names. It would be almost like a Lincoln version of the CTS.

Personally, I think it could just replace the MKZ... at 195 inches, the Falcon is far enough away from the 204 inch MKS. I'm really surprised the MKS was that long... they look shorter in person. Shame the Falcon doesn't have AWD, but I'm sure Ford engineers could figure out a way to eventually add it.

Its not like the MKZ set the world on fire... like the early days of the LS, at least.

Lincoln could then bring the XR8 Styleside Ute as the Blackwood or Lincoln Mark LT.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this here before.

as I've gone from forum to forum on this subject

I'm becoming actually AGAINST marketing Lincoln performance.

(possibly except for a subtly different badge:

th_STAR_H.jpg th_STAR-HP.jpg

based on the original Continental MkII)

Fomoco needs to develop a comprehensive program/philosophy for it,

but imho it'd be better to not make a big a deal about one trim

and adopt more of a Rolls Royce attitude of, "We have more than adequate performance for you - at whatever level you prefer"...

...whether that's Light/efficient/green or enthusiast driving 'con brio' and everything in between.

for enthusiasts:

a nextgen MKS (AWD) with a 400hp 3.5EB or

a nextgen MKS (AWD) with a 400hp 5.0v8 (LINK) OR

a nextgen MKZ (AWD) with the 400hp 3.5EB or

a nextgen MKZ (AWD) with a (upto) 350hp 2.7EB OR

an AWD Focus/GCMax-based "MKE" with the (upto) 350hp 2.7EB OR

a RWD Lincoln "Zodiac" (LincStang) with one of the above engines or

a RWD Lincoln "Zodiac" with a 600hp 5.0EB OR

a RWD Lincoln Continental (GRwdP) with any of the above engines

Edited by 2b2