Cruze Diesel Has 50 MPG Target On Its Back

Cruze Diesel Has 50 MPG Target On Its Back

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

August 17, 2011

post-10485-0-67485500-1313594773.png

GM is busy working on getting the Chevrolet Cruze Diesel for its launch in 2013 and some tidbits about the diesel are beginning to come out.

Ward's Auto reports that "sources" are saying the Cruze Diesel has a target of 50 MPG on the highway.

“If we’re getting 42 (mpg) on the Eco, we’ll do better on the diesel. You could envision 50 mpg,” said one of the sources.

And, according to Charlie Klein, GM's director of global mass, energy and aerodynamics, the Cruze diesel will be fuel sipper no matter what transmission is installed.

The diesel engine for the Cruze is a turbocharged 2.0L 4-Cylinder which produces 147 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque in the European model. Fuel economy for the turbocharged 2.0L 4-Cylinder diesel on the European combined test cycle is 35 MPG with the 6-speed automatic and 42 MPG with a 5-speed manual.

Source: Ward's Auto

The diesel engine for the Cruze is a turbocharged 2.0L 4-Cylinder which produces 147 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque in the European model.

Ward's auto is wrong; the 2.0 diesel used in our Cruze produces 163PS. I think that translates into more than 147hp SAE.

Edited by ZL-1

Not suprised at this. I did not expect GM to do this unless they could match or beat the magic 50 MPG number.

With the right price and proper marketing this car could change the Americans idea of diesel cars. Also a drop in diesel prices would help too.

I am hearing the Holden Cruze can see 52 MPG. Can anyone else can confirm this?

The diesel engine for the Cruze is a turbocharged 2.0L 4-Cylinder which produces 147 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque in the European model.

Ward's auto is wrong; the 2.0 diesel used in our Cruze produces 163PS. I think that translates into more than 147hp SAE.

163PS translates to approx 161HP according to one calculator site.

From Autoblog.com

As for that engine, GM has unofficially confirmed that it will indeed be based on the 2.0-liter diesel that's found under the hood of the Holden Cruze CDX. In the Holden, the 2.0-liter mill pumps out 160 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque

From Autoblog.com

As for that engine, GM has unofficially confirmed that it will indeed be based on the 2.0-liter diesel that's found under the hood of the Holden Cruze CDX. In the Holden, the 2.0-liter mill pumps out 160 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque

Yep, in the online conversion I used, 163PS translates to 161hp DIN which most likely translates to those 160hp SAE. I'm not familiar to how the DIN to SAE conversion is done or even if there is a conversion 'rule'. In any case, that's a nice little engine!

Edited by ZL-1

We really need some more uniformity among the estimates used in the two countries...

It's ridiculous that the US only rates the Eco at 42 mpg. I think it's also a bit of a stretch that Canada rates it at 51 mpg (4.6l/100km = 51 american mpg or 61 imperial mpg). Reality is somewhere in between. Best real-world (95% highway) tank I've seen was 5.1l/100km = 46 mpg.

So to stretch this further onto the Diesel: If they're currenly claiming 42 mpg in the US and 61 mpg in Canada (because of the imperial gallon), then a 20% increase in fuel efficiency to reach 50 mpg US will mean the Canadian number goes to 73 mpg.

Funny... This diesel will probably not only be the most economical Cruze, it'll probably handily out-perform the others. Perhaps Chevy should just embrace that fully and give it a few performance upgrades elsewhere.

If it did not get better MPG and better performance how would you convince a Diesel hating Ameican publict to spend more money buying one. You have to bait the hook if you want to catch fish.

If GM markets and prices this car right with better MPG and performance they could change the pubilc opinion here in America on Diesel cars. If they screw it up it could be years before anyone tries outs side the limited German cars we now get.