Kia News: Rumorpile: Kia Sending GT Concept Into Production; Coupe & Wagon Follow

William Maley

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

December 23, 2011

Kia's stunning GT concept, shown at this years Frankfurt Motor Show has been given the green light for production. But that's not all; sources inside Kia tell Inside Line that the company is mulling over a coupe and wagon.

But why is Kia sending the GT into production? Well a comment from Kia's Chief Designer, Peter Schreyer gives us a clue.

“Every company needs a halo car... The coupe market is dominated by German brands, and the GT is Kia’s first step. It’s like putting a foot in the door of the club.”

The GT would be presented as a less expensive alternative to the German counterparts, much like Kia's sister company, Hyundai does with their Genesis and Equus sedans.

Source: Inside Line

View full article

The car is ugly, it hurts to see it go into production and I hope its heavily reworked before it hits the streets. It is as if Kia took 1 part GT by Citreon styling and butchered it, added 2 parts Brach's Jelly beans + 1 part huge step backwards for Kias current design language.

I don't know how Kias parent company Hyundai could sign off on this after building such beautiful and original designs recently under both the Hyundai and Kia brand...I know the same designer of the current Kia line of cars is responsible for spearheading this concept but its awful.

I'm sure the design will be toned down in the details before production and be on the Genesis platform...nice to see Kia doing a RWD model, rather than more FWD appliances.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

I'm sure the design will be toned down in the details before production and be on the Genesis platform...nice to see Kia doing a RWD model, rather than more FWD appliances.

Agreed...

Sure if you don't count the Mustang and Camaro, and let's face it the ATS isn't going to be out of the realm of affordability.

Well, the Mustang and Camaro are sporty coupes..different niches...in mainstream sedans, Ford and GM are FWD only, unfortunately.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Not attractive

Perhaps not, but I think it shows that they are trying to innovate and try new things. I'm glad another RWD halo car is coming to market. To me the real downfall will probably be not the styling, but in the details of the car that so many other carmakers seem to get right and Kia seems to get wrong.

• 3 weeks later...