Buick News: 2013 Buick Regal Gets Some Ch-Ch-Changes

William Maley

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

February 7, 2012

Today, Buick announced some powertrain changes for the 2013 Regal. First, the 2013 Regal will bid adieu to the base 2.4L four-cylinder and make the Regal eAssist the base. The Regal eAssist uses a 2.4-liter inline-four engine with a 15-kW electric motor to return EPA fuel economy ratings of 25 City/36 Highway MPG.

Also, the Regal GS gains an optional six-speed automatic transmission. The automatic is designed to broaden the appeal of the Regal GS. Buick says the automatic Regal GS can reach 60 in 6.7 seconds and return 19 City/27 Highway MPG, identical to the manual transmission. The Automatic is a no cost option.

Press Release is on Page 2

Drivetrain Changes Announced for Buick Regal Lineup

New automatic transmission for Regal GS and eAssist to be standard on 2013 Regal

DETROIT – Coming off strong sales year in which it outsold the Audi A4, Lexus IS250, and Acura TSX, Buick’s midsize luxury sport sedan continues to evolve. The performance-oriented Regal GS has a new automatic transmission available in dealerships now. Additionally, with the introduction of the 2013 model later this year, eAssistfuel efficiency technology becomes standard.

U.S. News and World Report has named the Regal the “Best Upscale Midsize Car for Families.” Last month, it was named “Best Car for the Money” in the same category. The “Upscale Midsize Car” category includes 19 different vehicles.

Self-shifting Regal GS

The 270 horses of the Regal GS’ turbocharged 2.0L Ecotec – one of WardsAuto World’s 2012 “10 Best Engines” for North America – can now be controlled through a second transmission. A six-speed automatic with Driver Shift Control is now offered as a no-cost option instead of the existing six-speed manual.

“With the Regal GS, we made a conscious decision to go against the current trend and give enthusiasts the manual transmission they desire as standard equipment” said Tony DiSalle, U.S. vice president of Buick Marketing. “Adding an automatic simply makes the performance of the GS even more accessible.”

The new Aisin AF40 automatic is calibrated specifically for Buick’s most athletic sedan. With the car’s Interactive Drive Control System set to “GS” mode, the transmission delivers firmer shifts, aiding performance. Acceleration matches the manual with an estimated 0-60 mph time of 6.7 seconds.

EPA-estimated fuel economy of 19 mpg city and 27 on the highway, standard performance components like Buick’s innovative HiPer Strut front suspension and Brembo front brake calipers, and optional features are identical regardless of the transmission.

Hagerty insurance recently named the Buick Regal GS to its “2012 Hot List” of vehicles its valuation experts expect to be future collectibles.

Standard 36 Highway MPG with Regal eAssist

Starting with the arrival of 2013 models, eAssist will be standard on the Regal with the discontinuation of the 2.4L base model. Both the Regal Turbo and Regal GS models will remain available.

The eAssist uses a compact lithium-ion battery pack and a small electric motor to aid the performance of a fuel-efficient 2.4-liter gas engine. The system provides an electrical boost to aid the engine at low speeds and on inclines where fuel efficiency can suffer most. The Regal with eAssist achieves an EPA-estimated 36 highway mpg, equal to a Mini Cooper and higher than some full hybrids like the Infiniti M35h, which is rated at 32 mpg.

“Buick is committed to increasing innovation across the lineup,” said DiSalle “By making the advanced eAssist powertrain standard on a second vehicle, we are putting the spotlight on smart technology.”

For the 2012 model year, eAssist became standard for the larger LaCrosseluxury sedan. Offered at the same price as the V6, eAssist is already outselling its hybrid competitors and is projected to grow in popularity this year.

According to Hybridcars.com, the Buick LaCrosse with eAssist outsold the Lincoln MKZ by a 3-to-1 margin and the Lexus HS250h by a 5-to-1 margin in January 2012.

Pricing and an on-sale date for the 2013 Regal with eAssist will be announced later this year.

View full article

Kind of surprised they haven't worked the e-assist into the 2.5L motor yet- maybe for 2014. Nonetheless the economy is nice and is a nice move to make some consistency in the Buick lineup with a little more power too although I don't care too much for e-assist myself and would prefer not to purchase a car with yet more weight and a giant battery in the trunk that will eventually need to be replaced. I suppose that's why they retain the frankly sweet 2.0 Turbo setup, which would be my choice if I was going to shell out for a Regal.

My hope is that the e-assist doesn't get forced on the Verano just yet as I am hoping that 2013 will bring the 2.5L I4 base engine sans e-assist for me to buy. If not I might be forced to buy a leftover 2012 at the end of the year in self defence.

As an aside, here is the Cloth/Leatherette seats we get as the base Regal here which I suspect might be extended to the US as well as part of the move:

630x407_10_F_CAC20BUC041B0312.jpg

With buying a new car later this year I would wait for the new 2.0 and 2.5. While I am ok with GM selling E assist. I would rather not have a car with it. To me the little gain in MPG is offset with more things to go wrong later on. I tend to keep cars long enough it could be a factor.

The change it needs is a way to get the price down.

The GS doing 0-60 in 6.7 seconds at 27 mpg is nothing. A 328i does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and gets 36 mpg at the same price. Either the Buick needs more fuel economy and speed or less price, and I would vote for less price to go against the Azera and Maxima type cars.

The GS is off the table for me as there are much better options in that price range. Now the 2.0 220 hp Turbo is still at a good price in class. There is no way I would pay that much for that kind of car That was the same issue with the GXP Bonnie. I can afford a car in that range but I'll be damned if Iwould pay that much for a FWD car.

I hope now all that complained that the GS was not the full on V6 Turbo AWD can understand how much the OPC would have been and how few would have sold. GM would be best off to wait for a AWD say on something like a Alpha and make a better more expensive car there still slotted under the ATS and above the Camaro.

What was the OPC something like $50K plus in Europe?

The GS is a nice car but it needs to be closer to $30K. The 2.0 ATS would be a much better value and worth the wait.

The GS is off the table for me as there are much better options in that price range. Now the 2.0 220 hp Turbo is still at a good price in class. There is no way I would pay that much for that kind of car That was the same issue with the GXP Bonnie. I can afford a car in that range but I'll be damned if Iwould pay that much for a FWD car.

The 220 hp Regal costs as much or more than cars with 260-280 hp though. And it isn't like the Regal interior or feature content is amazing to compensate. For example, a 280 hp V6 Passat is about $29k. The Regal is just sort of a yawn car, and a wow price.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The 220 hp Regal costs as much or more than cars with 260-280 hp though. And it isn't like the Regal interior or feature content is amazing to compensate. For example, a 280 hp V6 Passat is about $29k. The Regal is just sort of a yawn car, and a wow price.

The mainstream Turbo I think is going to get upped to around 250HP soon for what it's worth. I think the Verano 2.0T will have like 250 as well.

eAssist is quite an upgrade to the base 2.4 SIDI motor, which is neither powerful or efficient and shouldn't exist in the first place. The only midsizer slower than the Regal (0-60 in 9.8 seconds) is the Prius.

eAssist gives the Buick brand a competitive advantage and its price will only go down as that system becomes more and more common.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The automatic in the GS is too little too late. It should have launched with an automatic option while the car was still fresh. Now the car is completely out-classed and can't compete in this segment. They could have sold so many more last year if they had launched with an automatic option.

The mainstream Turbo I think is going to get upped to around 250HP soon for what it's worth. I think the Verano 2.0T will have like 250 as well.

That is my thinking witht he new Eco II coming. I seeGM adding more power to it and the 270 HP at some point.

Only an idiot would pay that price. By the time I made my deal the price would be at a very accpetable price. Between discounts, GM, rebates and the normal drop in price I would get I would see a very good deal. The Issue with the GS is even with $7000 off it is too much for what you get.

The automatic in the GS is too little too late. It should have launched with an automatic option while the car was still fresh. Now the car is completely out-classed and can't compete in this segment. They could have sold so many more last year if they had launched with an automatic option.

I think the GS is still fresh as many people really know little on the car. GM has showin it in advertising on TV but has said little about what is inside. It is much like my HHR SS I still get people who think I Customized my own HHR only to be shocked to find Chevy built it and it hs a 290 HP Turbo 4. The next comment is I never knew.

As of now other than a few shots in commercial and a couple magazine reviews it is a great unknown.

It would have helped to have had the Auto and market it all at one time but I don't see it as a killer as much as price.

Edited by hyperv6

The 210 hp A4 costs as much or more than cars with 260-280 hp though. And it isn't like the A4' interior or feature content is amazing to compensate. For example, a 280 hp V6 Passat is about $29k. The A4 is just sort of a yawn car, and a wow price.

Fixed.

The 210 hp A4 costs as much or more than cars with 260-280 hp though. And it isn't like the A4' interior or feature content is amazing to compensate. For example, a 280 hp V6 Passat is about $29k. The A4 is just sort of a yawn car, and a wow price.

Fixed.

No, the A4 has a good interior. The A4 interior is better than the CTS, certainly far better than any Buick.

A lot of people might not see EekAssist as a "competitive advantage" when they consider:

A high-end Sonata is rated at 35 MPG without the ridiculous, add-on components of GM's Rube Goldberg invention (if MPG is a primary concern for midsize sedan buyers.)

EekAssist takes up precious trunk room in an already relatively small trunk (if trunk room is a primary concern for midsize sedan buyers.)

Eek Assist complicates the powertrain system and adds cost up front, and likely after the warranty runs out (if low maintenance costs as part of a decade of ownership are a primary concern for midsize sedan buyers.)

I honestly do not believe the system is worth it on a cost/benefit anal ysis basis. The new 2.5 should be rated for 35 MPG, really, where's the huge benefit to this EekAssist thing? Huh?

• Disagree 2

eAssist is quite an upgrade to the base 2.4 SIDI motor, which is neither powerful or efficient and shouldn't exist in the first place. The only midsizer slower than the Regal (0-60 in 9.8 seconds) is the Prius.

eAssist gives the Buick brand a competitive advantage and its price will only go down as that system becomes more and more common.

There is a lot more to performance than 0-60 measurements. In normal driving, the gearing is such that you'd think there is a small 6 under the hood.

There is a lot more to performance than 0-60 measurements. In normal driving, the gearing is such that you'd think there is a small 6 under the hood.

Perhaps you're talking about the eAssist Regal, because I've driven the base version and thought it was incredibly sluggish.

Edited by pow
  • Disagree 1

A lot of people might not see EekAssist as a "competitive advantage" when they consider:

A high-end Sonata is rated at 35 MPG without the ridiculous, add-on components of GM's Rube Goldberg invention (if MPG is a primary concern for midsize sedan buyers.)

EekAssist takes up precious trunk room in an already relatively small trunk (if trunk room is a primary concern for midsize sedan buyers.)

Eek Assist complicates the powertrain system and adds cost up front, and likely after the warranty runs out (if low maintenance costs as part of a decade of ownership are a primary concern for midsize sedan buyers.)

I honestly do not believe the system is worth it on a cost/benefit anal ysis basis. The new 2.5 should be rated for 35 MPG, really, where's the huge benefit to this EekAssist thing? Huh?

Regal weighs a good 400+ lbs more than Sonata. Every technology, be it direct injection, turbocharging, variable cylinder management, multi-speed transmissions, or even diesel, adds complication and cost. But you get increased efficiency and performance as a result.

eAssist could be added to the new 2.5, or in fact, any engine out there, for more MPGs and more power.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Perhaps you're talking about the eAssist Regal, because I've driven the base version and thought it was incredibly sluggish.

Nope, and even BV will back me up on this one.

The 2.4 is not sluggish by anymeans as long as you consider it a small sedan. Now if you are expecting a sports sedan yes it may feel under powered but I would in no way call it sluggish.

It will enter any highway with little drama. A little noise that the 2.5 will improve on but with no issues of getting up to speed.

Too many expect every car to be a GS, SS or a V series. The fact of life even in the past most Chevys came with a 307 and many Buicks has a V6 or 215 in the 60's. They were enough to keep the average driver happy and never pretended to be a performance car. Even at the the 2.4 Regal would out run many of these average cars of the past. Just think about the 90+ HP 2.5 Iron Duke.

2013 Regal should have 2.5L base (unfettered, naturally), and 2.0 turbo in the two flavors. Simple and to the point.

I honestly thought that'd be the way they'd go, 2.5L base, 2.0L turbos in two flavors with an eAssist option to the 2.5.

Am I missing something or would it not make better sense to just put in a 1 liter generator and electric motors at all 4 wheels and get outstanding performance for a true hybrid? I would think this would be better than e-assist.

Am I missing something or would it not make better sense to just put in a 1 liter generator and electric motors at all 4 wheels and get outstanding performance for a true hybrid? I would think this would be better than e-assist.

I think you are missing the cost of such a system and how few people would pay the price it would cost. The Volts price makes it a hard sell already and I am sure this system on a Regal would be nearly as much. You also have to consider less 10% of most Regal buyers will even want such a system let alone pay for it. As these systems get cheaper you may see it some day but for the the E system is a cheap way to add a few more MPG till better things care ready for production advancement wise and affordibility wise.

I wonder if 2.5 production can't be ramped up fast enough to cover all of these vehicles at once.

That's increasingly my takeaway from this... The 2.5L would be in high demand just to cover the high volume models alone- namely the Malibu and Equinox, as well as the lower volume vehicles like the Regal, Terrain, LaCrosse, Verano, Orlando, and ATS.

• 4 months later...

Kind of surprised they haven't worked the e-assist into the 2.5L motor yet- maybe for 2014. Nonetheless the economy is nice and is a nice move to make some consistency in the Buick lineup with a little more power too although I don't care too much for e-assist myself and would prefer not to purchase a car with yet more weight and a giant battery in the trunk that will eventually need to be replaced. I suppose that's why they retain the frankly sweet 2.0 Turbo setup, which would be my choice if I was going to shell out for a Regal.

My hope is that the e-assist doesn't get forced on the Verano just yet as I am hoping that 2013 will bring the 2.5L I4 base engine sans e-assist for me to buy. If not I might be forced to buy a leftover 2012 at the end of the year in self defence.

As an aside, here is the Cloth/Leatherette seats we get as the base Regal here which I suspect might be extended to the US as well as part of the move:

630x407_10_F_CAC20BUC041B0312.jpg

those look like the new 2013 Malibu seats to me!!!!