Buick News: Buick Trademarks Electra.. Could This Mean A New Vehicle?

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 19, 2012

General Motors has trademarked another old nameplate, this time from Buick. Left Lane News reports that General Motors filled a trademark application on June 5th for Electra. No other details were revealed in the filling.

Electra was a Buick nameplate introduced back in 1959 to replace the Roadmaster and Limited models. The nameplate would last till 1990.

So why is General Motors trademarking Electra? Left Lane has two theories.

Theory one is a flagship sedan that will use the LWB Epsilon II platform as a base. Using the Electra nameplate makes sense because the name was used for Buick flagships.

Theory two is a Buick version of the Chevrolet Volt. General Motors has given the green light to a Cadillac version (ELR) to help with costs. Plus, the Electra nameplate would be a perfect fit.

We have a theory as well. General Motors filled the trademark application to protect the Electra name.

Update: Nick Richards, Head of Communications at Buick, tweeted this in reply to this article. - DD

gallery_51_134_2560.png

Source: Left Lane News

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Agree with dfelt...

Although I would take a lot of different "electras."

Personally...if they could have done a second gen of the Kappa cars and built a little ragtop and called it the Wildcat...

They would have had my money in a heartbeat.

It will be a Volt. What is funny is a $40,000 Volt doesn't sell well, so a $50,000 Volt with a Buick badge or a $60,000 Volt with a Cadillac badge could really struggle. I get GM is trying to broaden the range and use the technology but we saw when Lexus tried a hybrid Prius, that bombed and the Prius people actually buy.

These eco cars are tough, because Prius buyers (and other greenies) don't care about performance or even style or equipment, they have that minimalist view to some degree. So basic and efficient they like. A hybrid battery car with lots of luxo goodies doesn't appeal to that segment, and people that spend $60k now on performance luxury sedans don't want an economy car.

Actually I disagree. Look at the Tesla S roadster....or the Fisker Karma...or why else is Porsche building Hybrids?

The volt is a sexy car, actually....and I'm glad to have another brand or type of auto enthusiast, ones who like electric cars.

My folks had a 1967 Electra, our last Buick before we started buying Cadillacs. Please don't defile the name and thoughts of what Buicks used to look like by putting that name on one of these ugly things they build now and call a Buick.

While many of you have found memories and want to stay with the past memories, THIS is a GOOD thing for GM and Buick.

Remember, to grow our AMERICAN AUTO COMPANY, we need to give stepping stones which are clear steps up the auto ladder as people earn more.

The VOLT is sexy in it's own way with tech people and as people get more comfy and aware of it, they will buy more.

Chevy Needs to do more Drive Volt Shows so people can come to learn about the technology and drive it and compare it. The best thing one could do is have the Volts and Prius side by side and even include the ugly Nissan Leaf for comparison and let the chips fall.

Buick and Cadillac will have a successful hit if they keep to their own design language.

Buick could sell tens of thousands of these in China alone which will help reduce the cost for the rest of the world.

Caddilac will end up being that special one people will strive for to outdue their neighbor.

I'd go with theory 3 (nameplate protection), then theory 1 (LaCrosse successor/flagship). I don't really see a Buick Voltec anytime soon; Cadillac ELR will be the premium Voltec offering.

Ugh, to sully the Electra name by pasting it onto a golf cart? Blasphemy! It should only be proudly displayed on Buick's Omega or Zeta II vehicle.

If this were the '60s or the '70s, I would agree. But a Buick Electra that was a full electric not only makes sense, it is a no brainer. Targeting the Fisker or Tesla with a fully appointed Electra is essentially a great idea for whose time has come. It could completely update Buick's image in a way even the Enclave or Verano could not. Of course, that assumes there will be a new car with the Electra on the decklid.

Introducing the 2014 Buick Electra 225 Coupe, thank you very much Buick