Aura Doesn't Measure Up to "Expectations"

The Saturn Aura disappoints this fan of Opel styling and features combinations.

As much as I love the Aura and GM's "promise" of Saturn being Opel with merely different badges, the truth disappoints me.

Why?

Although the styling is there, features, engines, and transmissions seem to not be. The Vectra has no OHV engines. The Vectra has available Xenon headlamps, and as far as what has been gleaned, no such option is yet available on the Aura.

I want an equivalent.

What about the rest of you?

Well when GM stops dumbing down cars like this....

Posted Image

And Spiting out things like this for Americans, then Saturn will live up to our expectations

Posted Image

Posted Image

And Spiting out things like this for Americans, then Saturn will live up to our expectations

Posted Image

I actually prefer the Aura in the pic comparison... but wait for the Redline to receive the Opel's aggressive exterior treatment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sad, especially when you consider the Vectra is nearly 5 years old. The next Mondeo is going to kill it.

Sorry-my styling like isn't the same as yours-that Vectra is as boring as the Aura's-they're nicely styled, but they're not daring, same problem with almost every single vehicle coming out now (sound familiar?)

Sad, especially when you consider the Vectra is nearly 5 years old. The next Mondeo is going to kill it.

Is that the 2006 Vectra?

Either way, the AURA will only be around for 2.5-3 years before its second generation bows...so it really don't need to matter...yet.

Is that the 2006 Vectra?

Either way, the AURA will only be around for 2.5-3 years before its second generation bows...so it really don't need to matter...yet.

2.5-3 years?

I knew the Aura would have a short life-cycle, but that's nearly half the industry average.

And Spiting out things like this for Americans, then Saturn will live up to our expectations...

The cars pictured above are obviously & clearly the same car. The Aura cleans up some of the fussy, messy details of the vectra and - perhaps merely because the Opel is "German-engineered" and therefore above reproach, I dunno - the domestic version is a "dumbed down" train wreck.

You guys who obsess and agonize over these miniscule details to this obsessive degree must go into a complete meltdown over the Pepsi/Coke issue.

Someone pointed out in a previous thread that the Aura facia is identical to the Vectra base model. If we get the above pictured facia on the Red Line, then... gee... that'd be giving us pretty much the same product as Opel. What a shocker...

How do the interiors compare?

I'm of the opinion that the Aura's exterior looks good. It's overall stance seems more solid and firmly-planted than the slightly awkward Vectra's. Don't let GM photography fool you, in person, the details are there.

It's the interior quality that's a let down. In person it somehow seemed a step backward from GM's newer offerings like the Tahoe.

Who honestly cares that much about headlights...98% of Americans have never seen an opel so they are not going to freak out over comparisons...Plus, seeing as people view saturn as cheap, impact-less cars will see the aura and say "WOW!"

And another thing...."OOO! The center stack isnt shiny!!! How will I go on?!?!" Get over it...that's why there are dash kits and Aftermarket accessories.

The cars pictured above are obviously & clearly the same car. The Aura cleans up some of the fussy, messy details of the vectra and - perhaps merely because the Opel is "German-engineered" and therefore above reproach, I dunno - the domestic version is a "dumbed down" train wreck.

You guys who obsess and agonize over these miniscule details to this obsessive degree must go into a complete meltdown over the Pepsi/Coke issue.

In other words it's Pontiac G6 modified to look startilingly like a Opel Vectra?? I don't get it.

Yep, the Aura is a modified G6 with the Vectra's front clip; the Opelization of Saturn (so far) is only skin-deep. (Look more carefully... that Vectra you're talking about has a hatchback and a greenhouse "obviously" different from the Aura's)

The Aura is ten inches longer than the Vectra and rides on a wheelbase that's six inches longer. The two don't share a single engine; the Aura has a 3.6 V6 as the top engine, while the Vectra has a turbocharged 2.8 V6. The interiors are entirely different... there's not a single visible part common between the two, not even turn signal stalks.

The G6, on the other hand, shares with the Aura its steering wheel, front seats, rear seats, multi-panel sunroof, engine, transmission, wheelbase, and general interior layout (location of key slot, accessory switchgear, and so on).

But, yeah, not that this is important. I don't care we're not getting the Vectra, because the Vectra is a dated, mediocre car. What I do care about is styling isn't that fresh, an interior that is cheap-looking, and a "renaissance" car that offers nothing new.

Edited by empowah

<_<  im tired of waiting.

Well, I am too. But this AURA is only to be around for 2.5-3 years before the EPII model is released. Given those circumstances, I can now see why GM released a vehicle and didn't waste any unnecessary expense in doing so.

Once again, we're waiting just a few short years. Right.

If the Aura's life-span is set to be between just 2.5 and 3 years, why would Lutz advise us to wait for it's "mid-cycle" update for better wheels/interior appointments?

Once again, we're waiting just a few short years.  Right. 

If the Aura's life-span is set to be between just 2.5 and 3 years, why would Lutz advise us to wait for it's "mid-cycle" update for better wheels/interior appointments?

To be cryptic? Seriously...NG AURA 2010 on EPII. Just accept it and move on.

I anticipate the styling will be very similar to the current, but the platform will be heavily reengineered.

I think it isn't a breakthrough car, but I do like the Vectra front end. The interior is nice (again not breakthrough), except for the radio/HVAC controls that look like they were rammed into place. IMO, Aura has what it takes to meet sales expectations but it still isn't the mid-size car that GM needs.

I think it isn't a breakthrough car, but I do like the Vectra front end. The interior is nice (again not breakthrough), except for the radio/HVAC controls that look like they were rammed into place. IMO, Aura has what it takes to meet sales expectations but it still isn't the mid-size car that GM needs.

Bingo.

Its a car that would be quite an eye opener a few years ago. It should still sell well, depending on its driving dynamics (if it drives like a Malibu or G6 I doubt it will get much good press).

The new Malibu and new Accord may put it to shame.

The same car you guys probabbly loves as a concept you think sucks as a production model, despite the fact that aside from the wheels, bumper, exhuast pipes, and wood instead of metallic trim, it's basically the same car. Sure, the concept's added rouches make it look better, but compared to anything Saturn sold for midsize before, this thing is downright revolutionary. Most people have never seen an Opel, and a lor of average cusomiers probably never saw the concept, so they'll no doubt be vvery impressed with the car.

I don't care for the headlights and nose of either the Vectra or the Aura. I dislike the disproportionately large headlight assemblies and the smiley face look with that grille design. I prefer a sleeker, lower profile nose like that of the Mazda 6, with its narrow headlamps and sleek shape.

But as for features, the Aura is close to having everything it should. Two notable exceptions are manual transmission (I thought this was supposed to be a performance oriented car) and navigation system. Xenon lights...eh, I suppose. Those are becoming more common.

Personally, I won't buy any of the new "Saturns" without dent resistant body panels. I think I'll stick with my SL2 until someone else comes out with a car that won't get unsightly dents from simple shopping cart impacts or doors opening into the side of my car in parking lots.

I think people should also remember that the next Aura will be even closer to the next Opel vectra then the current models are. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Aura/Vectra are going to be exactly the same.

Something I think we can all look forward to.

I think people should also remember that the next Aura will be even closer to the next Opel vectra then the current models are.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Aura/Vectra are going to be exactly the same.

Correct. The current EPI AURA is a gussied-up G6.

I think people should also remember that the next Aura will be even closer to the next Opel vectra then the current models are.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Aura/Vectra are going to be exactly the same.

I was thinking that if the next Vectra has similar wheelbase to today's LWB EpI cars, that might open up some room for an Astra sedan (which would be the volume Astra model in the US). Since Opel doesn't really have a head-to-head competitor to the VW Jetta right now, this could be interesting.

Edited by ZL-1

Correct.  The current EPI AURA is a gussied-up G6.

That worries me a bit, as the driving dynamics of the G6 (even the GTP model with hydraulic power steering) have been described as less than inspired.

Do you have any idea whether any work was done to improve the numb, disconnected feeling of the Pontiac?

-RBB

That worries me a bit, as the driving dynamics of the G6 (even the GTP model with hydraulic power steering) have been described as less than inspired.

Do you have any idea whether any work was done to improve the numb, disconnected feeling of the Pontiac?

-RBB

Except that it's also a version of the Saab, which handles pretty well for a front driver.

Why?  AURA isn't Vectra...yet.

Anyone wanting to know how AURA drives should go to your dealer lot and drive one.

Doesn't the Aura have hydraulic steering in place of the G6's electric system across the line?

Doesn't the Aura have hydraulic steering in place of the G6's electric system across the line?

I think so...which is why I think anyone wanting to know how it will handle should find out when their Saturn dealership is getting its first shipment and then test drive one.

For GM's sake, I hope AURA handles well and doesn't make its origins all too apparent. Even though this is just a 3-year run at most, GM cannot afford to tarnish the AURA name with substandard product, though the interior isn't helping things.

To be cryptic?  Seriously...NG AURA 2010 on EPII.  Just accept it and move on.

I anticipate the styling will be very similar to the current, but the platform will be heavily reengineered.

Getting a bit off topic here, but is there a Pontiac in the EP 2 plan? Or is this kind of te beginning of the end for Pontiac, a way of phasing over from G6 to Aura?

The G6 GTP has hydraulic steering, but it still draws complaints:

C&D 02/06

For all its prowess in objective dynamic testing, though, the G6 drew low subjective marks on the Hocking Hills highways. There were logbook complaints about excessive up-and-down motion compared with the other cars, and insufficient roll stiffness. Although quick at 2.7 turns lock-to-lock, the hydraulic steering came in for carping: too heavy at high speeds, as well as numb. It was possible to hustle the G6 around our loop as quickly as most of the others, but it was more work than fun, requiring absolute concentration.

GTP coupe review - R&T 02/06

If you couldn't care less about at-the-limit handling behavior and relish a brisk drive at 7- or 8/10ths, you'll probably like the GTP just fine. With the optional ($150) Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires, size 225/50R-18, this coupe generates a respectable 0.82g and delivers a sporting, but by no means sports-car ride. Venture toward the edge of the envelope, and you'll find that the suspension allows the front tires to flop over on their sidewalls, a trait worsened by a nose-heavy 62/38 weight bias. Through our slalom, this necessitated a slower than usual entry speed to maintain their contact patches, then feeding in throttle to what the front tires would accept. The soft-ish shock valving doesn't help in quick transitions either. On the skidpad, same story: Too much throttle and/or velocity and the fronts play possum, rolling off the tread blocks and onto the sidewall lettering for a steady, grinding push.

Though, on the other hand, R&T added this:

The good news is that it makes this chassis goof-proof. Jump off the throttle mid-turn? Go ahead; the rears stick like they've grown roots and the understeer lightens up a touch. You won't see many G6 GTPs off the road facing backward.
So limit handling isn't stellar, but we don't (and shouldn't) drive in this rarefied region often, and the GTP comports itself well in most other situations.

Automotive.com

On the majority of G6s, a third flaw is an electric steering unit that gives a number feeling than anything at your dentist's office. Springing for a GTP model like ours gets a conventional hydraulic system that feels more natural, but the fact that I had to look this up says something about the degree of improvement.

I'm hoping for something better than that, like the improvement made to the Delta platform on the Cobalt from what was found with the Ion.

-RBB

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall during GMs future product planning meetings.  Because currently, I have no smurfing clue what they're planning for the future of their lineup.

I'm guessing they'll watch very closely the relative sales of G6 vs Aura, and if Aura does well then Pontiac will gracefully fade away.

GM will probably concentrate its (limited) resources on Chevy, Opel (which would = Saturn from Astra/Ion onwards) and Cadillac. Buick / GMC stays as a limited US-only sales channel selling moderately gussied up Chevy cars and trucks respectively.