Sign in to follow this  
MyerShift

Aura Doesn't Measure Up to "Expectations"

The Saturn Aura disappoints this fan of Opel styling and features combinations.

As much as I love the Aura and GM's "promise" of Saturn being Opel with merely different badges, the truth disappoints me.

Why?

Although the styling is there, features, engines, and transmissions seem to not be. The Vectra has no OHV engines. The Vectra has available Xenon headlamps, and as far as what has been gleaned, no such option is yet available on the Aura.

I want an equivalent.

What about the rest of you?

Well when GM stops dumbing down cars like this....

Posted Image

And Spiting out things like this for Americans, then Saturn will live up to our expectations

Posted Image

Posted Image

And Spiting out things like this for Americans, then Saturn will live up to our expectations

Posted Image

I actually prefer the Aura in the pic comparison... but wait for the Redline to receive the Opel's aggressive exterior treatment.

I think as long as there is a Redline (is it speculation or garunteed?), and it gets the concept's exterior (which it easily could), then I will no problem with the Aura (except that center stack).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sad, especially when you consider the Vectra is nearly 5 years old. The next Mondeo is going to kill it.

Sorry-my styling like isn't the same as yours-that Vectra is as boring as the Aura's-they're nicely styled, but they're not daring, same problem with almost every single vehicle coming out now (sound familiar?)

Sad, especially when you consider the Vectra is nearly 5 years old. The next Mondeo is going to kill it.

Is that the 2006 Vectra?

Either way, the AURA will only be around for 2.5-3 years before its second generation bows...so it really don't need to matter...yet.

Is that the 2006 Vectra?

Either way, the AURA will only be around for 2.5-3 years before its second generation bows...so it really don't need to matter...yet.

2.5-3 years?

I knew the Aura would have a short life-cycle, but that's nearly half the industry average.

And Spiting out things like this for Americans, then Saturn will live up to our expectations...

The cars pictured above are obviously & clearly the same car. The Aura cleans up some of the fussy, messy details of the vectra and - perhaps merely because the Opel is "German-engineered" and therefore above reproach, I dunno - the domestic version is a "dumbed down" train wreck.

You guys who obsess and agonize over these miniscule details to this obsessive degree must go into a complete meltdown over the Pepsi/Coke issue.

Someone pointed out in a previous thread that the Aura facia is identical to the Vectra base model. If we get the above pictured facia on the Red Line, then... gee... that'd be giving us pretty much the same product as Opel. What a shocker...

How do the interiors compare?

I'm of the opinion that the Aura's exterior looks good. It's overall stance seems more solid and firmly-planted than the slightly awkward Vectra's. Don't let GM photography fool you, in person, the details are there.

It's the interior quality that's a let down. In person it somehow seemed a step backward from GM's newer offerings like the Tahoe.

The Aura isn't a dumbed down Vectra because it isn't a dumbed down anything. It's more closely related to the G6 than the Vectra. The SINOization of Saturn starts later.

Who honestly cares that much about headlights...98% of Americans have never seen an opel so they are not going to freak out over comparisons...Plus, seeing as people view saturn as cheap, impact-less cars will see the aura and say "WOW!"

And another thing...."OOO! The center stack isnt shiny!!! How will I go on?!?!" Get over it...that's why there are dash kits and Aftermarket accessories.

The cars pictured above are obviously & clearly the same car. The Aura cleans up some of the fussy, messy details of the vectra and - perhaps merely because the Opel is "German-engineered" and therefore above reproach, I dunno - the domestic version is a "dumbed down" train wreck.

You guys who obsess and agonize over these miniscule details to this obsessive degree must go into a complete meltdown over the Pepsi/Coke issue.

In other words it's Pontiac G6 modified to look startilingly like a Opel Vectra?? I don't get it.

Yep, the Aura is a modified G6 with the Vectra's front clip; the Opelization of Saturn (so far) is only skin-deep. (Look more carefully... that Vectra you're talking about has a hatchback and a greenhouse "obviously" different from the Aura's)

The Aura is ten inches longer than the Vectra and rides on a wheelbase that's six inches longer. The two don't share a single engine; the Aura has a 3.6 V6 as the top engine, while the Vectra has a turbocharged 2.8 V6. The interiors are entirely different... there's not a single visible part common between the two, not even turn signal stalks.

The G6, on the other hand, shares with the Aura its steering wheel, front seats, rear seats, multi-panel sunroof, engine, transmission, wheelbase, and general interior layout (location of key slot, accessory switchgear, and so on).

But, yeah, not that this is important. I don't care we're not getting the Vectra, because the Vectra is a dated, mediocre car. What I do care about is styling isn't that fresh, an interior that is cheap-looking, and a "renaissance" car that offers nothing new.

Edited by empowah

<_<  im tired of waiting.

Well, I am too. But this AURA is only to be around for 2.5-3 years before the EPII model is released. Given those circumstances, I can now see why GM released a vehicle and didn't waste any unnecessary expense in doing so.

Once again, we're waiting just a few short years. Right.

If the Aura's life-span is set to be between just 2.5 and 3 years, why would Lutz advise us to wait for it's "mid-cycle" update for better wheels/interior appointments?

Once again, we're waiting just a few short years.  Right. 

If the Aura's life-span is set to be between just 2.5 and 3 years, why would Lutz advise us to wait for it's "mid-cycle" update for better wheels/interior appointments?

To be cryptic? Seriously...NG AURA 2010 on EPII. Just accept it and move on.

I anticipate the styling will be very similar to the current, but the platform will be heavily reengineered.

I think it isn't a breakthrough car, but I do like the Vectra front end. The interior is nice (again not breakthrough), except for the radio/HVAC controls that look like they were rammed into place. IMO, Aura has what it takes to meet sales expectations but it still isn't the mid-size car that GM needs.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook