Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Showing Respect and Minimum Bias: BMW Blog Reviews Cadillac ATS-V

2016-cadillac-ats-v-images-16-750x500.jp

Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V takes on the BMW M3

by Horatiu Boeriu

When Cadillac unveiled the ATS-V at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show, the automotive world was eager to see how it fares against the new BMW M3 and M4. After all, the ATS-V used the almighty E90/E92 M3 as a benchmark in order to build a sports car that doesn’t have to compromise between driving on the road and on the track. To see how the ATS-V stacks up against the F80 M3 and F82 M4, we headed to Road America race track in Wisconsin, with a pit stop in Milwaukee for some back-roads driving. Before jumping in the car, we spent some time with Cadillac’s folks to learn more about the development of the ATS-V

The man behind Cadillac’s sporty coupe and sedan is Tony Roma, a Cadillac engineer who’s had a hand in all the V-models and is the chief engineer of the upcoming CTS-V as well. He was also the chief engineer on the Camaro ZL1 and managed the engine program for Cadillac’s CTS-V World Challenge cars. And he’s a club racer. So the man has all the ingredients and skills to create one of the sportiest Caddys to date. Roma was very upfront about the previous M3 being the target, as far as driving dynamics. “We benchmarked the E92 M3 from a performance perspective, but the goal was not to out-BMW BMW,” Roma said. “We wanted to create a car that offers the perfect balance between the road and the track. We call it bi-modal,” Roma added. E92’s precise steering and tight chassis were at the top of the requirements list.  

More at LINK

Every time I see Tony Roma's name in an article it makes me think of barbecue ribs, just saying.  On another note, I love the Cadillac V-Series.  They are beautiful cars and a lot of fun to drive and well, well out of my price range.  I've never cared for the looks of BMWs or Mercedes, so if I was choosing within that group the ATS-V is a no-brainer.  Now, if you throw Audi in there it starts to be more of an interesting question, but I think Cadillac is really starting to turn a corner and head in the right direction (other than the new naming scheme) and look forward to getting these on the lot, and to what may come next.

Interesting read, what I get out of it is there is enough there that BMW needs to wake up and realize the ATS-V just could take it's lunch.

Every time I see Tony Roma's name in an article it makes me think of barbecue ribs, just saying.  On another note, I love the Cadillac V-Series.  They are beautiful cars and a lot of fun to drive and well, well out of my price range.  I've never cared for the looks of BMWs or Mercedes, so if I was choosing within that group the ATS-V is a no-brainer.  Now, if you throw Audi in there it starts to be more of an interesting question, but I think Cadillac is really starting to turn a corner and head in the right direction (other than the new naming scheme) and look forward to getting these on the lot, and to what may come next.

I love this car.. and can't wait to drive one. It will be an appetizer for the CTS-V I'm gonna replace my current VCoupe with. The only thing I think Cadillac should have possibly done is make the interior slightly more aggressive looking. As it stands, it looks perhaps too "classy.." Like a Grand Tourer as opposed to a Grand BRAWLER.

and yeah.. I think the same thing when I see Tony Roma :thumbsup:

1332487958157.jpg

And MORE

Motor Trend is reporting:

Last year, we promised you that an even hotter version of the Cadillac ATS-V was on the way. Now, we've finally dug up some more dirt on Cadillac's elusive ATS-V+ As we said before, the ATS was designed from the outset to fit a V-8 under the hood. But the question since then has been, which one? General Motors has come up with an answer: the 7.0-liter LS7 V-8 used in the Camaro Z28 and C6 Z06.

GM wants its high-revving naturally aspirated eight-cylinder to live on, so it's keeping it in production for the Cadillac ATS-V+. Though we previously hoped for a version of the C7 Z06's supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V-8, we'd be perfectly happy with an LS7-powered ATS. That engine, which is hand-built at GM's Bowling Green Assembly Plant, produces 505 hp and 481 lb-ft of torque in the fifth-generation Camaro Z/28. Even if the LS7 receives no updates before serving in the ATS-V+, it would still be more powerful than the standard ATS-V's 464hp ttv6. It would also be lighter.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 1

A 7 liter V8 in the ATS-V would be bonkers.  I am all for V8s, and it would match the power of the C63 S V8.  But would it fit, how loud or unrefined might it be, and what will it weigh?  I like it when a car company doesn't just play it safe and actually builds the concept car or does something like a Charger Hellcat that is just nuts.  It would be cool if they put the 7 liter in the ATS-V, but I still think GM retires that engine.

A 7 liter V8 in the ATS-V would be bonkers.  I am all for V8s, and it would match the power of the C63 S V8.  But would it fit, how loud or unrefined might it be, and what will it weigh?  I like it when a car company doesn't just play it safe and actually builds the concept car or does something like a Charger Hellcat that is just nuts.  It would be cool if they put the 7 liter in the ATS-V, but I still think GM retires that engine.

I think if it is true, it is an interim engine. I think it a helluva idea though.. A double check on the Ms and the AMGs.

An ATS-V EV edition would Rock, As a race car that EV West built, if they used the following electric motors, the weight would still be lighter than the bloated TTV6 and you would end up with 840HP & 1120lb ft of torque. This would be two of these engines in parallel direct connect to the drive line and a proper battery pack and nothing could touch it.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=300&osCsid=r1ts6n7q14g4a304101ekb8pb6

post-12-0-34020100-1432440287_thumb.jpg

This is one HOT BMW, this is why I BELIEVE Cadillac should have an ATS-V EV

I gotta go with Casa on this...and yeah...interim engine.

Why I think that?

1. Cadillac has to go one on one with AMG...I think Johan is realizing that Cadillac is more of a natural competitor to Mercedes than it is to BMW....this is a GREAT start to finally target AMG...

Naturally aspirated.

7.0 liters

Racing engine that loves to rev.

Hand built.

Perfect match to emulate AMG engines...

2. It wont be the first time GM reuses a legendary engine.

Buick's turbo V6 in the Grand National and GNX was also used 1 last time in the Turbo Trans Am.

History is about to repeat itself.

That 7.0 is gonna make another GM model into an instant classic.

Edited by oldshurst442

While I would love for Caddy to go that route, as a realist I think that we are a long time away from such a thing.. Cadillac simply has too many other things to get in order.

I will add that I agree with your assessment that JDN is most likely seeing Benz as a more direct competitor than BMW. More so because of clientele and heritage. Cadillac and Benz are more similar, altho I see the reasons for going after BMW most likely had to do with their youth appeal.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

The thing is that I don't actually see the LS7 being used in this case because of its size relative to Cadillac's desire to sell this car in markets that tax based on displacement. I also believe a detuned version of the LF3 would be the better way to go. A Vsport instead of a V+. The car I would go V+ with would be CTS.. and I'd do that with a 700hp version of the upcoming TTv8 with AWD. I'm all for performance, but the ATS needs obtainable realistic variants that will be bought.. not probable $85,000 super-niche ones

The V8 will be only a attention getter much like the Hellcat.

Now the key for it is to make sure the car uses all the power it has. The Hellcat has more power than it can use and while it makes for a nice smoky burnout the car could do nearly as well with less power.

Getting it all to the ground is more important than just numbers.

While I see no harm here I would rather see a CTSV with a world class AWD built. Then add power to the engine to make it 700 HP. There is much more power left in this engine and getting it to use it all with less engine management pulling the power down would be nice.

The price on this car will make it very rare.

• 2 weeks later...

I frequent this site, so I'm not sure how I missed this.

Pretty decent read. The writers there are usually way too biased in favor of BMW. I've incited a few nasty responses for not accepting the falsehood that BMW is the Alpha and Omega without equal or competition. A lot of fanboys over there.

That said, I'd personally still prefer the M3. If there an ATS with an LS7, it'd be game over though, and I'd be singing a different tune, CUE be damned.

It really would be a cool thing to have an LS7 dropped under the hood. As it is, it's more than credible as an M-car beater.

And yes, I believe that Benz is the better brand to chase in terms of prestige. If achieved, this would make Cadillac an amazing American mix of the two.

Way too early to call the car an M car beater. With the limited info we have so far, it looks to be slower. And seeing as in how there is no direct back-to-back comparison yet, the jury is still out on whether subjective criteria are better, and if so, by enough to be judged the better car.

Way too early to call the car an M car beater. With the limited info we have so far, it looks to be slower. And seeing as in how there is no direct back-to-back comparison yet, the jury is still out on whether subjective criteria are better, and if so, by enough to be judged the better car.

I drove an ATS-V back to back with an M4 Convertible at the same event Horatiu was at.  The best way I could describe them is "different".  The ATS-V is much more frantic in it's top sport setting.  The M didn't feel as fast as the ATS-V, but it's not exactly fair to compare a convertible to a hard top 400lbs lighter, so I don't put too much weight into that.   Yet even accounting for engine output underrating by BMW, they're going to match Cadillac's stated output at most. 

I give the nod to the M on the interior quality of materials. I like that the steering, suspension, and throttle response can each be adjusted independently on the M where as the ATS-V adjusts all 3 at the same time. 

The ATS-V launch control and rev-matching is awesome once you get the hang of it.   I got some very impressive fuel economy out of the ATS-V when driving conservatively on a long haul.  I didn't get a similar drive in the M.  For hard driving, the ATS-V would probably be my preference, but the M is probably the more comfortable and livable "everyday car".

I'll take the one shown in Casa's first post with an LS7 please. Sharpest color on that car IMO without going black.

Gotta say though, if I had the cash outright I'd find a last year CTS-V Wagon in that same color and call it a day (what can I say? I love my wagons)!

cadillac_cts_v_wagon_front_side_view_by_