Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Even by Domestic V8 standards, a Sierra 6.2 is quite mild. In both sound and character.

Indeed. That's one of the reasons I like it. If you hadn't caught it by now, I prefer subtle expression of power. You'll never ever catch me putting a loud exhaust on anything I drive, but I might add resonators to improve the grumble of the engine if needed. 

It's a truck... Clearly something like 0-60 isn't a factor for me.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm not even going to try and convince you why I think the AMG 6.2 is "better" and I already explained why. If you'd like me to highlight it for you, let me know. 

But...then again...half a page worth of why I think the SBC is BETTER than that AMG motor WAS made and YOU just wanna ignore it...

Fine by me...

You still ragin' though. 

'best' is such a subjective thing... can't really be determined in an objective manner.  Some have sold a lot.  Some have a reputation for reliability.  Some have race-proven reputations.  Some are cheaper than others.  

A lot comes down to personal preference.  I have a fondness for the classic Ford small block, esp. the '80s 5.0, from personal experience.   I also want to experience the modern Mopar Hemi and modern Ford Coyote 5.0 sooner or later.   There are lots of interesting cars of today and the past with a variety of V8s...getting hung up on trying say one is the 'best' is just typical internet blathering..that is ultimately a pointless exercise in futility.  Live and let live, enjoy what you like, and move on...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

But...then again...half a page worth of why I think the SBC is BETTER than that AMG motor WAS made and YOU just wanna ignore it...

Fine by me...

You still ragin' though. 

Nope, It's that I just don't care. The Chevy V8's don't get me excited to hear them. They don't make be feel crazy to want to drive them. Yes, I want to drive everything in the world at least once but I wouldn't put a Camaro SS or Corvette high on those lists. ZL1 and Z06 versions scoot up there pretty high and they're BAD-A$$ cars but they just don't excite me like other cars do and that's all that really matters. 

Essentially the "would you spend your own money". 

21 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

'best' is such a subjective thing... can't really be determined in an objective manner.  Some have sold a lot.  Some have a reputation for reliability.  Some have race-proven reputations.  Some are cheaper than others.  

A lot comes down to personal preference.  I have a fondness for the classic Ford small block, esp. the '80s 5.0, from personal experience.   I also want to experience the modern Mopar Hemi and modern Ford Coyote 5.0 sooner or later.   There are lots of interesting cars of today and the past with a variety of V8s...getting hung up on trying say one is the 'best' is just typical internet blathering..that is ultimately a pointless exercise in futility.  Live and let live, enjoy what you like, and move on...

:cheers:

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Essentially the "would you spend your own money". 

Sure...

But when I said the SBC is THE greatest...and then DFELT agreed with me...

How many times do I mention that I would restomod and pro-street ANY classic GM muscle car and swap in a SBC in it?

Why was it we both got flack for saying that?

Essentially...THAT would be MY opinion, right?

Did I say anything negative about any other V8 during that appraisal and afterward?

No. No I did not...but I do recall the backlash of me saying the SBC is the greatest though...

I just gave you folk REASONS of why I thought so...and I ENCOURAGED you folk to do the same bravado talk I did by you folk DEFENDING YOUR backlash by giving me a motor that YOU deem worthy of being the greatest...

Alls I got was MORE backlash of why I STILL think the SBC is the greatest...

I suggest you read EXACTLY what I wrote from the get go and you will see that 'twas ME that was quite honest and NEUTRAL about the whole thing...

So...all of this...and you agreeing with Cubical's last post was egg on YOUR face...

Image result for egg on your face gif

I dont think I mislead anybody here with this discussion.

I dont think I ever mis-represented myself, my intentions with the direction of this discussion either.

And I dont think I EVER come across a blind fanboy either.

After all, I LOVE me a Hellcat, or an AMG 6.2 liter Mercedes Benz CLS or E Class for the mid 2000s.

Ferrari V8 love?

Yeah, I got plenty of that too...

I MENTION THAT as OFTEN as I can...

Edited by oldshurst442

Did I ever say that the Chevy motor was some piece of junk or something? Or was it that I didn't agree that triggered you? That I laughed at the idea that a truck motor could possibly be considered the greatest v8 motor? That the 5.3 is a dog compared it its most direct competition..from Chevy guys' mouths. That it just doesn't tickle my fancy like it does yours? 

I get an egg in the face because @Cubical-aka-Moltar and I agree that it is a subjective topic? :duh:

Just now, ccap41 said:

Did I ever say that the Chevy motor was some piece of junk or something? Or was it that I didn't agree that triggered you? That I laughed at the idea that a truck motor could possibly be considered the greatest v8 motor? That the 5.3 is a dog compared it its most direct competition..from Chevy guys' mouths. That it just doesn't tickle my fancy like it does yours? 

I get an egg in the face because @Cubical-aka-Moltar and I agree that it is a subjective topic? :duh:

because YOU did not READ why I mentioned the Silverado V8...it is ESSENTIALLY the SAME LS2 or LS3 motor that is in a Camaro or Pontiac GTO or Cadillac V Series...

Because all of this...the flack I still get from YOU is essentially an OPINION of HOW I FEEL THE SBC is!!!

SUBJECTIVE opinion of WHY I feel the SBC is the greatest with REASONS...VALID FACTUAL REASONS why I feel this way...

If YOU wanna ignore the fact that a SBC is ENGINEERED to be a truck engine AND a sports car engine and YOU wanna hold THAT against me is well...EGG is on YOUR face...

YOU are allowed NOT getting excited by  the Silverado SBC...I dont hold THAT against you...

But YOU dont wanna give me the SAME respect back when I say that JUST because Chevy engineers the SBC to be boring and mundane in a truck yet exploits its true potential in a Vette...

YOU shove subjectivity in my face defending YOUR choice of NOT getting excitied over a SBC...the 7.0 being the sole exemption yet somehow deny MY defense....while IGNORING me saying I LOVE all what YOU love...

So...who is being MORE biased? You or me?

I suggest YOU read what I wrote in ALL of my posts....Every. Single. Word.

I stayed TRUE all along. NEVER deviated. Just repeated the same ole same ole...

Subjective you say?

So...why arent I allowed to say the SBC is the greatest???!!!!

There was backlash...wasnt there?  For me saying that? 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

because YOU did not READ why I mentioned the Silverado V8...it is ESSENTIALLY the SAME LS2 or LS3 motor that is in a Camaro or Pontiac GTO or Cadillac V Series...

Because all of this...the flack I still get from YOU is essentially an OPINION of HOW I FEEL THE SBC is!!!

SUBJECTIVE opinion of WHY I feel the SBC is the greatest with REASONS...VALID FACTUAL REASONS why I feel this way...

If YOU wanna ignore the fact that a SBC is ENGINEERED to be a truck engine AND a sports car engine and YOU wanna hold THAT against me is well...EGG is on YOUR face...

YOU are allowed NOT getting excited by  the Silverado SBC...I dont hold THAT against you...

But YOU dont wanna give me the SAME respect back when I say that JUST because Chevy engineers the SBC to be boring and mundane in a truck yet exploits its true potential in a Vette...

YOU shove subjectivity in my face defending YOUR choice of NOT getting excitied over a SBC...the 7.0 being the sole exemption yet somehow deny MY defense....while IGNORING me saying I LOVE all what YOU love...

So...who is being MORE biased? You or me?

I suggest YOU read what I wrote in ALL of my posts....Every. Single. Word.

I stayed TRUE all along. NEVER deviated. Just repeated the same ole same ole...

Subjective you say?

So...why arent I allowed to say the SBC is the greatest???!!!!

There was backlash...wasnt there?  For me saying that? 

Dude, let it go.

You're in love with the chevy motor. I'm not. Deal with it. 

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Au contraire...

YOU dont like the SBC...

YOU have a problem when somebody says its the best...

YOU deal with it...

You seem to have a strange over the top emotional tone in your posts in the thread regarding said engine.  Probably need to calm down and take some anti-anxiety medication....this is something that can be discussed rationally without the ALL CAPS melodrama. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

Let's move on.

Sure...

But...

Let me put this on another page...

I think the SBC is THE greatest V8 in our modern times...

I think Chevy should just KEEP that formula going in the next C8 possibly rear mid-engined Vette.

Cadillac should do the DOHC thing...

Anybody got a problem with that opinion?

Image result for Mr T gif

No?

Anybody?

OK...now lets move on! 

5 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

You think that a Silverado V8 and a Corvette V8 and C7R V8 and a Chevrolet SS/Caprice Cop Car/Camaro V8...which is basically the same block...  and how GM engineered the vocation of the LS series engine for each of these vehicles is OPINION versus fact?

You think that how compact exterior wise the LS engines are just opinion versus fact? 

You will deny the economies of scale the LS V8 engine enjoys and it has become very affordable to hot rodders and average joe red necks to real hard core engineering endeavors vis-a-vis the performance the LS engine makes and reliability it has and call THAT an opinion versus fact? 

And yes...I LOVE AMG and Voodoo motors myself. I also love the Oldsmobile big block and Pontiac big block V8s...Coyotes and Clevelands and old and new Hemis...THAT would be the ONLY opinion I gave....yet YOU were the one to pitch that criteria on to me...with your rhetorical question...

Remember...I asked to give me examples of how other motors could compare....

I said DO NOT DENY THE SBC but to PROP UP other motors...

Frisky just posted some stuff while Im writing this...I havent read his post yet as Im still typing this post...

IM WILLING TO BET HE WILL NOT DISAPPOINT ME!!! 

You have failed me CCAP:D...

19 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

You seem to have a strange over the top emotional tone in your posts in the thread regarding said engine.  Probably need to calm down and take some anti-anxiety medication....this is something that can be discussed rationally without the ALL CAPS melodrama. 

Just stressing the IMPORTANT words...

"YOU" is ONE of them!

Like I said...READ. Every. Single. Word. I. Made.

It would seem like Im stressing...

Yet...'twas CCAP that missed that smiling emoji fella when I told him he failed me...

Read. EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. HE. MADE. TO. ME.

It would seem like HE is a tad MORE serious than I...

CAPS....means nothing...

Im just POINTING out the IMPORTANT words that NEED to be UNDERLINED because the WHOLE LOT of YOU have MISSED the POINT...

In IRONY...

It seems like YOU people have an itch over the fact that I have THE opinion that the SBC is THE greatest of our time...

I POINTED out reasons why I THINK that...

Yet...here we are...STRESSING about the IMPORTANCE of OPINIONS yet Im the one that seems to be CHASTISED for HAVING THE opinion of the SBC BEING THE GREATEST!!!

YET IM THE ONE THAT GAVE ACTUAL FACTUAL REASONS ON WHY I THINK SO!!!!

NOT HALF ASSED REASONS SUCH AS "BECAUSE I LIKE IT!!!" 

Now...it would seem like Im angry...

I ASSURE you...IM NOT!!!!!!!!!

ALL THESE CAPS and the EXCLAMATION POINTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are just to SHOW YOU folk how wrong YOU are in INTERPRETING the SITUATION!!!!

ASK OF THIS TO CCAP!!!!

IS HE STRESSING????!!!!

56 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Dude, let it go.

You're in love with the chevy motor. I'm not. Deal with it. 

Is HE CLEARLY TROLLING ME?

To get a REACTION FROM ME???!!!

So...who is mad about what?

To show you how MAD I am NOT...

A song for you folk...

If I was mad...would I be able to enjoy THIS song right about NOW???!!!

:D

Edited by oldshurst442

35 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

YOU dont like the SBC...

Literally, never said that. In fact, please quote me to prove me wrong. 

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

CAPS....means nothing...

Im just POINTING out the IMPORTANT words that NEED to be UNDERLINED because the WHOLE LOT of YOU have MISSED the POINT...

In IRONY...

It seems like YOU people have an itch over the fact that I have THE opinion that the SBC is THE greatest of our time...

I POINTED out reasons why I THINK that...

Yet...here we are...STRESSING about the IMPORTANCE of OPINIONS yet Im the one that seems to be CHASTISED for HAVING THE opinion of the SBC BEING THE GREATEST!!!

you've gotten to the point where your sh!t is just difficult to read because it's so half caps half normal.

For the sake of us trying to communicate with you, stop that every other word capitalizing crap. 

I literally didn't even bother reading what I quoted as it's just a mess and it's likely like your other rant-posts. 

10 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

And now for something completely different, and also random: I saw a Range Rover Velar at the grocery earlier today.  First I've seen on the road. 

I'd like to see one of these in person and be able to give it a good walk around. 

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Literally, never said that. In fact, please quote me to prove me wrong. 

you've gotten to the point where your sh!t is just difficult to read because it's so half caps half normal.

For the sake of us trying to communicate with you, stop that every other word capitalizing crap. 

I literally didn't even bother reading what I quoted as it's just a mess and it's likely like your other rant-posts. 

No...You did not say that...

True.

But YOU are SERIOUS about ME saying the SBC is THE GREATEST Modern V8...otherwise you would NOT be STILL be here telling me about what you said or you did NOT say! 

THAT BOTHERS you! About ME having THE OPINION that the SBC IS THE GREATEST! 

Now...to take a page out of Drew's playbook...

:D

Edited by oldshurst442

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Guys, when I say let it go and move on, I mean let it go and move on.  Find a new subject.

I got one...

The family and I saw the Last Jedi last night...

It was intense...it was quite...interesting the way it all unraveled. 

I LOVED IT!!! The KIDS LOVED IT TOO!!!

SOME SCENES WERE SOOOOOO INTENSE, I HAD MY DAUGHTER CLINCH MY HAND SO TIGHT!!!!

With that being said...

With NO trolling and No jokes...

After telling you guys a while back that the Empire Strikes Back was my favorite...

I NOW think The LAST JEDI IS THE GREATEST...:D

Yes...I TRULY feel this way. Regardless what the internet world thinks of it. Or if the ticket sales have waned down just after a week or so. 

Sure Im being a bit of a shyte disturber...:closedeyes:

But its all done with a sense of humour...

Please folk...LAUGH IT OFF!!!

The new year is just around the corner!

I do recommend for you guys to see The Last Jedi.

Its got some awesome symbolism that one MUST NOT miss and if you do see the symbolism...I guarantee you WILL appreciate the movie for what it suppose to be....going forward... 

Edited by oldshurst442

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Guys, when I say let it go and move on, I mean let it go and move on.  Find a new subject.

Sorry Drew, did not mean to stir up the pot, just was talking with a guy about transplants and he has a friend with a transplant porsche, so was searching the net to see what was out there.

@oldshurst442 I loved the last Jedi, Thought it was a great hand off movie to the next generation. Worth seeing in 2D, Saw it in 3D and while cool, I would say save your money.

I have also seen the reviews, but talking to coworkers who saw the New Jumanji, Welcome to the Jungle, people liked it.

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 9.49.18 AM.png

'54 Eldorado, parked since 1965. On eBay- has 1 bid so far @ $15K.
Was chatting with a few folk who didn't think it was worth restoring/wouldn't pay over $10K.
In looking these up, they're worth $85K in #3 and $175K in #1. One on Hemmings now is asking $185K.

EDIT :: Because I value the facts above all else- I must amend my above text. The car is a Series 62 convert, not an Eldorado. Apparently I got overzealous/hopeful- it doesn't have the Eldorado ribbed aluminum quarters (which I thought were merely removed) nor an 'Eldorado' script on the deck )has a crest instead). The auction calls it an Eldo and lists the correct Eldo production total, but it's mis-represented. '54s are the least differentiated from the other lines than any other year of '50s Eldos.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

So Drew; according to my note, I had 61 posts on 11.27.02.

When should I expect my 15 year pin in the mail?

Very Cool balthazar, you made me wonder and I looked at my profile and see I have been here since 2005, so 12 years for me. WOW, time have flown by.

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Would be cool....:)

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very Cool balthazar, you made me wonder and I looked at my profile and see I have been here since 2005, so 12 years for me. WOW, time have flown by.

2005 was like the second coming, if my old mind remembers right....:P

I thinking when I last checked "wayback machine", I think I had posts going back to late 2003.....also made me laugh-as I thought "who the heck is this??! Oh, me....:lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

I could not decide which one I liked best, so here are two from me. :P

15-Years-Homepage.gif

15yrs.jpg

:cheers:

Seems China is Banning 553 Auto Models from being sold starting Jan 1st 2018 to help reduce pollution.

Top 3 is: "Models include FAW VW’s Audi FV7145LCDBG sedan, Beijing Benz’s Benz BJ7302ETAL2 sedan and Shanghai GM’s Chevrolet SGM7161DAA2 sedan."

Interesting Story at Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-28/china-to-stop-production-of-553-vehicle-models-over-fuel-use

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Would be cool....:)

2005 was like the second coming, if my old mind remembers right....:P

I thinking when I last checked "wayback machine", I think I had posts going back to late 2003.....also made me laugh-as I thought "who the heck is this??! Oh, me....:lol:

IIRC, 2005 was when there was an upgrade or something with the forum software where we had to re-register.  I'm pretty sure I've been around since before '05. 

• Agree 1

Also - Olds, I'll have you know...

I have never seen a single Star Wars films, I know really NOTHING material about the LucasFilms franchise,

And I don't think I'll ever watch a single film in the forseeable future. Many people have said I am crazy, either not human or flat-out bluffing, but nope I have not seen a single film, even any understanding of all the plot-lines through trailers or small snippets is vague or laughably shallow at best, and if worst like I think for sure - I am completely a 'tard when it comes to STAWRS WAWRZ.

"BUT HOW CAN U LIV WITHOUT TEH INTERNETS"

"BUT HOW CAN U LIV WITHOUT STARS WOWS"

6 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Also - Olds, I'll have you know...

I have never seen a single Star Wars films, I know really NOTHING material about the LucasFilms franchise,

And I don't think I'll ever watch a single film in the forseeable future. Many people have said I am crazy, either not human or flat-out bluffing, but nope I have not seen a single film, even any understanding of all the plot-lines through trailers or small snippets is vague or laughably shallow at best, and if worst like I think for sure - I am completely a 'tard when it comes to STAWRS WAWRZ.

"BUT HOW CAN U LIV WITHOUT TEH INTERNETS"

"BUT HOW CAN U LIV WITHOUT STARS WOWS"

All is good, Suave.

So you havent seen ANY Starz Warz moviez?  Like none?

That is such a surprising  feat. Almost miraculous how you managed to avoid all the hooplah and the mania.

OK...for you to miss the 1970s rage was easy peasy for you since you were not born then. 

The 1980s frenzy that saw  Episodes 5&6 being released (movies 2 &3) was probably just as easy for you as you were either   not born yet and/or too bloody young to notice.

The real tricky part is the 1990s. For sure you have become of age by then....when for the first time the digital release of the first 3 movies was released in 1997 in preparation for the upcoming so called prequels. And the DVD release was a MASSIVE event. It was hard NOT to miss it...Yet you resisted. COOL. BRAVO!

But then...the late late 1990s and early 2000s came along and with a BIGGER event...the prequels came to be. And you resisted that too. Impressive.  Most impressive. (This is where I would normally post a Darth Vader GIF...but it be all for nothing, I guess, as you wouldnt have the movie knowledge on how to appreciate it.)

And now...in 2015, 2016 AND in 2017, we have had yet another wave of Starz Warz marketing carpet bombing with no avail.

I must applaud you for that my good friend. You did not give in! You refuse to give in. 

Listen Suave. Honestly. Its no biggie that you havent seen the movies. 

I wont lie to you and tell you you aint missin' anything. Because you are. Apart of missing some very very popular pop culture shyte, (which REALLY IS NO BIG DEAL 'CAUSE THERE IS SOOOOO MUCH OTHER POP CULTURE SHYTE GOING ON...THAT MIISIN' THIS ONE IS JUST THAT...YOU ARE JUST MISSIN' ONE OUT OF THE 1000s THAT EXIST!)

BUT...yes you are missin' something...the roller coaster ride that is Star Wars.  It IS an experience WORTH exploring. 

You should one day indulge in it. It is entertaining. Its silly as phoque! Its childish and adolescent. It doesnt make ANY sense. Its stupid. But its HIGHLY entertaining!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Being born in 1970, I couldn't have avoided Star Wars growing up.  Enjoyed the original films (and have a bunch of the figures from childhood). I like the recent films for the most part.  I'm not a huge sci fi fan, but always liked Star Wars and Star Trek, Blade Rnner and a few others. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Due to a busy New Years Eve and New Years Day, I spent my last day of 2017 up on the slope at Stevens Pass skiing. We have had a week of powder dumping and as such 3-5 feet of powder was all over. Legs are worn out and I am tired but feel great.

People Arriving, 8am and getting ready for the lifts to open at 9am.

20171230_083045.jpg

In line at Hogs and looking up the mountain at all the fresh powder

20171230_084255.jpg

For a snowy day, had a rare break over Double Black Diamond, the really high run in the middle of the picture. In Line at Kehrs Chair to ride up there to pound the powder.

20171230_085100.jpg

Heading to the back side of what is called MIlls valley for more powder pounding.

20171230_091647.jpg

Hidden Gem, many people ignore this run called International, single black diamond run but talk about awesome powder.

20171230_101401.jpg

Happy blurry me, heading down the mountain after a long day of awesome Powder Pounding fun.

20171230_114039.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1