Random Thoughts Thread

On 6/4/2018 at 3:58 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

The only reason I may stay with Android... and I do mean only.... Is the MotoMods available for the Moto Z series. Doing what I do with this here website thingy... and the instagrams and facebooks and other sites I manage. I would really like to have a proper camera attachment on my phone.  Phone cameras have come a long way, but there is only so much you can do without a true optical zoom.

For the Moto Z, you can buy this that attaches to the back of the phone:

Moto Z3 Play arrives this summer:

https://www.cnet.com/products/motorola-moto-z3-play/preview/

Edited by ykX

18 minutes ago, ykX said:

Interesting, says the mods have gotten old, really just speakers and extended battery packs. Wonder how their camera stacks up to the current camera on a Note 8.🤔 Does it really do better with a real zoom lense compared to the dual lense camera setup?

I really don't get the add on feature, it ties you to a phone/brand, is another thing to carry with you (like carrying a phone and a P&S camera), and the sensor is still tiny.  The reviews of the Hasselblad add on are not great.  Maybe if the phone had a current flagship level sensor and better image processing like that of the Pixel 2 the zoom would be a great feature. 

The P20 Pro seems to do a pretty good job at 3x zoom.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7284790355/huawei-p20-pro-hands-on

• Thanks 1

It looks like this may be the 2019 Ford Focus.  What an improvement ...

Exterior view - spec model for Chinese market

Photos of the dash don't look too good, IMO.  I don't like the "laptop left open" look atop the center stack.

Let's hope they get a step gear auto trans. dialed in.

If this car is successful, that won't bode well for the Cruze.  This market niche is tight, with so many foreign brands in it, too.

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

It looks like this may be the 2019 Ford Focus.  What an improvement ...

Exterior view - spec model for Chinese market

Photos of the dash don't look too good, IMO.  I don't like the "laptop left open" look atop the center stack.

Let's hope they get a step gear auto trans. dialed in.

If this car is successful, that won't bode well for the Cruze.  This market niche is tight, with so many foreign brands in it, too.

It drove by pretty quick-but I thought I saw a Focus Active on the road today....white and gray......

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, frogger said:

I really don't get the add on feature, it ties you to a phone/brand, is another thing to carry with you (like carrying a phone and a P&S camera), and the sensor is still tiny.  The reviews of the Hasselblad add on are not great.  Maybe if the phone had a current flagship level sensor and better image processing like that of the Pixel 2 the zoom would be a great feature. 

The P20 Pro seems to do a pretty good job at 3x zoom.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7284790355/huawei-p20-pro-hands-on

While the zoom may be good, it is still not true optical zoom, so it is difficult to get depth of field.  IPhone and Pixel 2 can simulate it, but it works best when taking pictures of people instead of “things”.

I dunno... I guess I’ll try the Z3 when it comes out. I’m not in a rush.  My Nexus does really well with pictures for now. 

10 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Today made one year I've been living in Ohio.  I don't miss Arizona.   Happy here.  

"Happy anniversary."  No more insanely hot summers for you.  Knowing the SoCal desert and Las Vegas area, I might love being there to visit friends when it's 80 to 90 and bone dry but, in 3 to 4 days, I'm ready to leave.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

"Happy anniversary."  No more insanely hot summers for you.  Knowing the SoCal desert and Las Vegas area, I might love being there to visit friends when it's 80 to 90 and bone dry but, in 3 to 4 days, I'm ready to leave.

My sinuses have been bothering me lately...lots of pollen in the air.  But I wouldn't trade access to abundant greenery, lakes and rivers for anything... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My sinuses have been bothering me lately...lots of pollen in the air.  But I wouldn't trade access to abundant greenery, lakes and rivers for anything... 

It’s an annual thing. I have to take allergy pills for about 3 months and then I’m good the rest of the year.   The teaspoon of local honey trick is said to be just an old wives’ tale with no scientific basis, but I swear it works. Eh, what’s the harm though of trying it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Unless you were in Hawaii on the big island. Lava broke through and in a matter of hours yesterday evaporated and filled in their 200 foot deep lake, the largest body of fresh water on the island and a source of fresh drinking water. OUCH. RIP to the fish and the water.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/06/us/green-lake-lava-evaporates-hawaii-trnd/index.html

31 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It’s an annual thing. I have to take allergy pills for about 3 months and then I’m good the rest of the year.   The teaspoon of local honey trick is said to be just an old wives’ tale with no scientific basis, but I swear it works. Eh, what’s the harm though of trying it. 

I have two time a year that my nose goes crazy. Mid spring when something here blooms and I just yuck up and again in the fall and yet all the allergy testing comes back negative. 😕

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Unless you were in Hawaii on the big island. Lava broke through and in a matter of hours yesterday evaporated and filled in their 200 foot deep lake, the largest body of fresh water on the island and a source of fresh drinking water. OUCH. RIP to the fish and the water.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/06/us/green-lake-lava-evaporates-hawaii-trnd/index.html

I have two time a year that my nose goes crazy. Mid spring when something here blooms and I just yuck up and again in the fall and yet all the allergy testing comes back negative. 😕

Yeah, scary what has been going on in Hawaii.   Beautiful place.   Fall/winter in Arizona was sinus infection season.   All the dust in the air was a constant irritant. 

I have seasonal spring allergies too, worse the last 5 years after we moved to our area with all the 50 foot+ mature trees in our yards.  I can get away with taking the pills for about 3 weeks when the oak pollen is all over in clumps and the cars are dusted with pollen daily in the neighbourhood.  Our 4 year old son has them too, his eyes swell up bad if he rubs them a bit:(.

Edited by frogger

13 minutes ago, frogger said:

I have seasonal spring allergies too, worse the last 5 years after we moved to our area with all the 50 foot+ mature trees in our yards.  I can get away with taking the pills for about 3 weeks when the oak pollen is all over in clumps and the cars are dusted with pollen daily in the neighbourhood.  Our 4 year old son has them too, his eyes swell up bad if he rubs them a bit:(.  

Hmm...'oak pollen clumps'..so that's what's been all over the driveway and front yard the last few weeks..have a huge oak by my driveway..kind of brown wormy looking stuff...  and I've seen pollen blowing around while driving in the neighborhood...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

24 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Hmm...'oak pollen clumps'..so that's what's been all over the driveway and front yard the last few weeks..have a huge oak by my driveway..kind of brown wormy looking stuff...  and I've seen pollen blowing around while driving in the neighborhood...

Time to retire that tree and get something less pollen for shade. :P 

Fast growing Leyland cypress are nice.

Have to say that some of these refurbished rides from the past on The Blocks website from GM are sweet. I am really loving the Shift into Summer series.

http://www.theblock.com/?article=4754798a-1933-4af0-858f-83eaa0e9a8c4#news

I wish a relative of mine had not destroyed my grandma's 1972 Buick Skylark. She had ordered it fully loaded with the big V8 in gold with the fake convertible top. I really miss it.

BuickSyklark1972.jpg

• Agree 1

House of KITT. Fan of the Knight Rider TV show from the 80's. Seems one guy is building them as a full time job on the east coast. You can get Gen 1 or Gen 2 of the car depending on the year.

image.png

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/the-house-of-kitt/

Amazing this guy is so faithful that he actually has pretty much everything working in the crazy sci fi dash and it comes with a warranty. :o

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

@balthazar @Cubical-aka-Moltar @ccap41

You guys will love this story, talk about some lovely auto ornaments.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/badges-hood-ornaments-2018-fallbrook-car-show/

This story and pictures rock. :metal: 

51 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I don't think so, Tim.
350 CI would be it, in a Skylark.

But, But, But that is a big V8 for that 2 door. 350 HO is what I thought was in it master! Either way I loved that car. It moved and was a blast to drive. Yes no big block true. :P 

'Big' as a term, of course, is relative. Always relative.

And so; relative to the other V8, G-ma's 'lark had the little V8. 😁 Also pretty sure there was no 'HO' version.

That said, my brother had a '71 or 72 'lark for a short while and yes- they still moved out quite well. Now just imagine it with another 125 lb-ft of TRQ!

• Haha 1

Yes, I have seen a rare few with the small 455 badge.  I'm thinking my rank ordering of all these recently reported sightings in this early 70s category would be:  LeMans/GTO, Skylark/GS, Cutlass/442, and Malibu. 

Our family knew some people who had a 1970 Skylark coupe in light metallic green, a white top, white buckets, a console shifter, and a 350, who loved theirs.  They loved Buicks.  They kept that white interior spotless.  Then they got divorced.  Then they moved out of their SGV home bought new for under $50,000.  Then he had a mid life crisis.  Then they drove foreign iron.  Yes, the cycle of life in SoCal ...

https://www.motor1.com/features/244333/seven-luxury-camper-vans-concepts/

Funny short read but the short narrative is that Luxury car makers building camper vans would be 600hp v12 versions that looked better than VW camper van. You can read all the details on the story above, but I posted the pics here for comment.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Got my '40 carb back from the rebuilder today- he specializes in vintage units.

When he shipped it back he included a June 1952 issue of the hot rod magazine Motorsports, in really very good shape. Has an ad for the Twin H-Power Hudson Hornet on the back cover.

Perhaps my reputation preceded me.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Got my '40 carb back from the rebuilder today- he specializes in vintage units.

When he shipped it back he included a June 1952 issue of the hot rod magazine Motorsports, in really very good shape. Has an ad for the Twin H-Power Hudson Hornet on the back cover.

Perhaps my reputation preceded me.

:worthless:

Pics please, we love to see stuff like that. :P 

850 miles, 26 gallons on Ford F-150 Diesel V6 Pickup.

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21396/2018-ford-f-150-diesel-truck-review-how-does-850-miles-of-range-on-a-tank-sound

Good read. Drive from LA to San Francisco and back on a single tank of fuel. WOW

Makes one wonder what GM and Rams Diesel pickups will do.

1969 Camaro Pace car given a modern restoration.

http://www.thedrive.com/video/21383/1969-camaro-pace-car-correcting-a-restomod-gone-wrong

Amazing Video to watch of how they kept the original 69 look and feel but took the car into the 21st century.

Cool video at GM of their 3D printing research they are doing to reduce weight in their new auto's.

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/20686/gm-explains-its-plans-for-3d-printing-better-car-parts?iid=sr-link1

New Testing shows even Euro 6 diesel emissions are still not being met especially by German Diesel auto's which are polluting 6 times more than the spec they are supposed to meet.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21407/new-emissions-tests-show-almost-all-new-diesels-still-dirty

This brings up the question, is it time to kill Diesel all together?

Meh...it's laughable to refer to that '55 as 'nicest'...just a bunch of tasteless goofy modifications...if it were concours quality stock restoration or a survivor original, then it would be interesting.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The hakosuka generation GT-R is great...I also love the look of the '73 Skyline GT-R... (the kenmeri generation).

nissan-classic-skyline-gtr-0155.0.0.png.jpeg

5Sjy6ZI.jpg

Would be awesome to find an old one and restore it or even make it a pure AWD EV powertrain. I have seen some of these that have had a modern Skyline powertrain put into them. 

We need to get auto's back to having some individual style. Right now like @balthazar has stated we have a very stale stable of auto design right now.

I saw a couple of the vintage GT-Rs in the parking lot at the Coronado Island Festival of Speed in San Diego a  few years ago...love the looks of these cars...along w/ the early 90s R32 generation.