Random Thoughts Thread

Crazy Time Capsules - 1957 Plymouth Belvedere capsule

Very cool as a company stepped up to de-rust and stabilize her. Some very cool video pictures.

WOW, had no idea that Mustang had a sports wagon.

Plenty of cool other cars too like the Chevy Laguna, DeTomaso Mangusta, Ford Torino Talladega, Plymouth Belvedere, Dodge Demon, Pontiac Ventura GTO, Mercury Cyclone Spoiler, 

Could have meant bucket seats (2 front seats) or front bench and rear bench (2 bench seats).  I've heard some people refer to those configurations as '2 seaters'... 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

It's a '63-ish Bel Air / Impala. Or was.

Was a '63 Impala 2dr ht at one time. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@balthazar My uber driver was just telling me about the 2 seater 1970s (he wasn't sure of the year) LeSabre with a 455 that his dad had. My spidey senses were going off that one of these items isn't true.  Thoughts?

I never ever in my life heard someone call a 6-passenger car a '2-seater'.

'70-73 (which are the years I checked) you could get a 455 in all the full-size cars, but the only one available with buckets was the Riviera. No buckets in a LeSabre in this generation from the factory.

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I never ever in my life heard someone call a 6-passenger car a '2-seater'.

'70-73 (which are the years I checked) you could get a 455 in all the full-size cars, but the only one available with buckets was the Riviera. No buckets in a LeSabre in this generation from the factory.

It's a whole new world out there. Coupes come with 4 doors and 1 inch lift kits now.

• Haha 2

New England Journal of Medicine now recommends that men start getting every 5 years a colonoscopy starting at age 45. Used to be age 50, but due to increases in cancer, they now have recommended that doctors have their men patientes get this starting earlier.

American Cancer Society is telling everyone now.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/find-cancer-early/cancer-screening-guidelines/american-cancer-society-guidelines-for-the-early-detection-of-cancer.html

So, yes I have hit the big 50 and just had my yearly physical. Great shape, but have to do this procedure. So anyone have some words of wisdom that has had this done before?

💩

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

New England Journal of Medicine now recommends that men start getting every 5 years a colonoscopy starting at age 45. Used to be age 50, but due to increases in cancer, they now have recommended that doctors have their men patientes get this starting earlier.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/find-cancer-early/cancer-screening-guidelines/american-cancer-society-guidelines-for-the-early-detection-of-cancer.html

So, yes I have hit the big 50 and just had my yearly physical. Great shape, but have to do this procedure. So anyone have some words of wisdom that has had this done before?

💩

I've had it done. nothing to be afraid of. you're knocked out the whole time.

It is largely due to the American diet. They don't follow this recommendation in countries that have better balanced diets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

💩

My dad had colon cancer so at recommendation of his doctors I started doing colonoscopy at 40.  

The worst part as was mentioned is the preparation, and bloating after the procedure, try to schedule the procedure when you are off from work before and after.  Otherwise it is not a big deal.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 1.48.53 PM.png

With today's ability to mold plastics, one would think inspiration from the past would take hold to bring design / style elements into modern cars.

Crazy price as someone just paid $70 million for a Ferrari 250 GTO. I agree with the story that it is probably the best looking Ferrari they ever built.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/the-classic-view-a-1963-ferrari-250-gto-reportedly-sells-for-70-million/

Interesting read on the history of the car, those that sold before it and why the price plays a big part on the history of the car, number of races ran and the final place they achieved.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What do y'all think of the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk?  Cool ride or posermobile?

b2df6030c8844849a72bda28c174a2da.jpg

I think it's more cool than poser. I mean it really can do some off road stuff, right? I think the Renegade Trailhawk is poser but not the JGC. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What do y'all think of the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk?  Cool ride or posermobile?

b2df6030c8844849a72bda28c174a2da.jpg

Totally Cool Ride! :metal:  Nothing Poser about them!

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think it's more cool than poser. I mean it really can do some off road stuff, right? I think the Renegade Trailhawk is poser but not the JGC. 

The Renegade Trailhawk is actually surprisingly capable.  I think the issue people have with the JGC Trailhawk is that it is no more capable than an Overland with the active suspension and the upper level 4x4 system (which both come standard on Trailhawk)

This one I have pictured is $32k and 17k miles for a '17

Really Cool story on the Original Preston Tucker!

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/saving-prestons-tucker/

Very cool to read about it. Interesting to come to find out that the original wiring was flammable. The owner is doing a full restoration on it and will not drive it until the wiring is all replaced.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Renegade Trailhawk is actually surprisingly capable.  I think the issue people have with the JGC Trailhawk is that it is no more capable than an Overland with the active suspension and the upper level 4x4 system (which both come standard on Trailhawk)

That is a Bargain considering the cost new. So a 2yr lease maybe then is what it was traded in low mileage.

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

See, with a JGC I would prefer to just have the street tires and Overland package because it would be capable enough for me as a JGC with 4WD. I don't need whatever makes it a Trailhawk and I'd rather it just look classy rather than "cool"(if that's the right terminology). 

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

See, with a JGC I would prefer to just have the street tires and Overland package because it would be capable enough for me as a JGC with 4WD. I don't need whatever makes it a Trailhawk and I'd rather it just look classy rather than "cool"(if that's the right terminology). 

I can respect that, yet as one that does go off road, I would take the Trailhawk over the Overland.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I can respect that, yet as one that does go off road, I would take the Trailhawk over the Overland.

Yeah if i lived somewhere different and used the extra goodies, I would definitely want that. ORRRRR I'd still want the more "road-ready" JGC and try and invest in a Wrangler as a toy anyway... 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Overland package is more $$$.  That's the reason I started looking at this.  I get the off-road suspension and 4x4, plus the tow package, plus heated and cooled seats (albert's request), for less money than the same config in an overland. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Chevy BOLT has their detailed service manual available on a USB thumb drive for $200 versus Tesla yearly subscription fee of $3,000.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/06/05/revealed-secrets-of-the-bolt-ev-service-manual/

Some cool stuff on the bolt. :metal: 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I like the Trailhawk. Though for the Grand Cherokee, I would get some Mopar accessories to have body colour grille, mirror caps, a slightly lighter finish on the wheels, and perhaps regular finish tow hooks too. I would get back to chrome window trim, and remove the hood decal. I would keep the "Trailhawk" branding in a very stealth way, like a black sticker decal that you attach to near the black surround of window pillars.

For the GC I kinda would want a 'sleeper' Trailhawk look, where the upgrades are masked so it doesn't actually look like you got the Trail hawk.

Why? Because I think that like having a sleeper sedan - no one expects your normal looking GC to handle the rough stuff that requires Trailhawk level of equipment, and then......

BAM!!!! SHOW'EM WHOS DA REAL EL GRANDE CHEROKEEE!

Edited by Suaviloquent
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

I like the Trailhawk. Though for the Grand Cherokee, I would get some Mopar accessories to have body colour grille, mirror caps, a slightly lighter finish on the wheels, and perhaps regular finish tow hooks too. I would get back to chrome window trim, and remove the hood decal. I would keep the "Trailhawk" branding in a very stealth way, like a black sticker decal that you attach to near the black surround of window pillars.

For the GC I kinda would want a 'sleeper' Trailhawk look, where the upgrades are masked so it doesn't actually look like you got the Trail hawk.

Why? Because I think that like having a sleeper sedan - no one expects your normal looking GC to handle the rough stuff that requires Trailhawk level of equipment, and then......

BAM!!!! SHOW'EM WHOS DA REAL EL GRANDE CHEROKEEE!

LOL you're nutz!

I don't think there is anything a Trailhawk can do that an appropriately equipped Overland cannot.

44 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

LOL you're nutz!

I don't think there is anything a Trailhawk can do that an appropriately equipped Overland cannot.

Oh. Well my math is a bit fuzzies, but I still like the idea of a sleeper stealth approach to off-road.

Like try super hard to make your vehicle not look off-road capable - but like I get it, bumpers for ex are obvious when they are meant for off-road even when body colour.

I thought Trailhawk = best off-road

I did not know Overland = luxury + best off-road

35 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Oh. Well my math is a bit fuzzies, but I still like the idea of a sleeper stealth approach to off-road.

Like try super hard to make your vehicle not look off-road capable - but like I get it, bumpers for ex are obvious when they are meant for off-road even when body colour.

I thought Trailhawk = best off-road

I did not know Overland = Mid-high luxury + best off-road

Updated.... but again, the off-road options on the Overland are optional

Top-O-The-Line is the Summit that has all of everything and can top out at $63k with a diesel. 

The Trackhawks and SRTs are above that, but they're not really offroaders like the Trailhawk, Summit, and Overland are. 

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Crazy price as someone just paid $70 million for a Ferrari 250 GTO. I agree with the story that it is probably the best looking Ferrari they ever built.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/the-classic-view-a-1963-ferrari-250-gto-reportedly-sells-for-70-million/

Interesting read on the history of the car, those that sold before it and why the price plays a big part on the history of the car, number of races ran and the final place they achieved.

I heard the buyer was David MacNeil, the Weathertech floor mats king, racing team owner, etc.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Updated.... but again, the off-road options on the Overland are optional

Top-O-The-Line is the Summit that has all of everything and can top out at $63k with a diesel. 

The Trackhawks and SRTs are above that, but they're not really offroaders like the Trailhawk, Summit, and Overland are. 

I like the Trailhawk...the guy in the cubicle next to me at work last year bought a lt gray one the same day I bought my Limited.  He drives it to his house in Mexico often, and often drives on dirt roads..    I'd probably go for the Sterling edition or Overland if I were buying a new '18. 

16 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I like the Trailhawk...the guy in the cubicle next to me at work last year bought a lt gray one the same day I bought my Limited.  He drives it to his house in Mexico often, and often drives on dirt roads..    I'd probably go for the Sterling edition or Overland if I were buying a new '18. 

Pricey

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Really Cool story on the Original Preston Tucker!

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/saving-prestons-tucker/

Very cool to read about it. Interesting to come to find out that the original wiring was flammable.

Not in 1948- article states that the unrestored one has 'crispy' wiring... IE; susceptible to shorts due to deterioration from being 70 years old. I know that well from the original wiring that WAS in my '40. Cloth wrapping gets brittle/dry and falls apart.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1