Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Not in 1948- article states that the unrestored one has 'crispy' wiring... IE; susceptible to shorts due to deterioration from being 70 years old. I know that well from the original wiring that WAS in my '40. Cloth wrapping gets brittle/dry and falls apart.

Cloth wrapping , got it, crispy, flammable, yup, need to replace it. cool, thx.

1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

Yikes......yep! I just hit that age as well (to start). Not looking forward to it.......

Yup a bum Side job. :P Better safe than sorry.

• Agree 1

Sitting at a light behind a yellow Cobalt coupe I noticed 2 of it's bumper stickers (on the rear decklid)--- 'My Other Ride is a Tardis' (Dr Who fan) and the other was a brown circle with the message 'I Pooped Today!'.. what a great sticker and sentiment.  I need one of those. 

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It's definitely sweet... but this '47 Buick is a 'phantom'- Buick didn't build a 3-window coupe in this era.
Sure wish they did- the coupe has tremendous 'back'. 😍

So this is a custom job then. WOW, talk about some skill. Nice! :metal: 

This is one very sweet F100 pickup. Love it! :metal: 

http://www.thedrive.com/video/21753/classic-car-studios-1953-ford-f100-restomod-driven-the-fancy-muscle-truck-grandpa-never-had

Check out this sexy Green pickup truck brought back to a awesome modern spin.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/23/2018 at 3:03 PM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 12.41.20 AM.png

Wowza..that is a slick custom.  The late 40s GM coupes (before the '48-49 redesigns) were so bloated and humpy, this looks great though..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Anybody here is following World Cup?

Not me, Like to play sports, but find watching them boring. If you are a Soccer fan or Football fan for our European members, I wish you all the best for your team to win.

I watched a fair bit of the previous World Cup 4 years ago because I used to hang out after work w some German guys I worked with and watch matches at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Tempe AZ.   It's fun to watch.  Though I mostly watch F1, Indy Car and DTM and then NFL and some NBA when in season...

15 hours ago, dfelt said:

Not me, Like to play sports, but find watching them boring. If you are a Soccer fan or Football fan for our European members, I wish you all the best for your team to win.

In general I am watching very little sports as well, and not a huge fan of soccer even though I am originally from Europe.  But World Cup is really cool, I think the whole world (except US, even though things pick up here as well, especially when US played) is watching and following their national teams or some other team they favor.  Plus, my younger son plays soccer so it is nice to watch together.

• Agree 1

On 6/19/2018 at 7:18 PM, dfelt said:

New England Journal of Medicine now recommends that men start getting every 5 years a colonoscopy starting at age 45. Used to be age 50, but due to increases in cancer, they now have recommended that doctors have their men patientes get this starting earlier.

American Cancer Society is telling everyone now.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/find-cancer-early/cancer-screening-guidelines/american-cancer-society-guidelines-for-the-early-detection-of-cancer.html

So, yes I have hit the big 50 and just had my yearly physical. Great shape, but have to do this procedure. So anyone have some words of wisdom that has had this done before?

💩

You drink some stuff (a lot of it, to the point of discomfort) that cleans you out.  You go in and put on a breezy gown.  They knock you out and stick a thing up your butt with a camera on it.  They snip off any polyps while they're up there.  And then they give you the results.  Not a major situation, really.

Looks like the online order guide has been fleshed out pretty good lately.  Lots more info on the new Silverado is up over there (glad to see a chrome bumper/alloy wheel package available on the WT... it's about time!)  Also, the AEV Bison concept grille will be a dealer-installed option on the 2019 Colorado.

05-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-aev-concept-sema-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You drink some stuff (a lot of it, to the point of discomfort) that cleans you out.  You go in and put on a breezy gown.  They knock you out and stick a thing up your butt with a camera on it.  They snip off any polyps while they're up there.  And then they give you the results.  Not a major situation, really.

My sister had to get a colonoscopy and and endoscopy last Friday, had to be on a liquid diet Thursday and drink 64 ounces of Miralax...she'd been through this once before when treated for diverticulitis, and had a recent bout of pneumonia.   Felt pretty crappy Thurs and Fri but was normal by Saturday. 

I probably need to do one, a couple years away from 50 myself (turning 48 tomorrow). 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

ocnblu... is that you with your fleet of electric Corvette toys?

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 10.55.41 PM.png

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Photo is mutilated.  I mean manipulated.  If Harley were here he'd be appalled!  :o

I knew he was a Closet Case of EV Love! 😘

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Met Life ad, 1956.

1956weightchart.jpeg

I do not even exist on the Chart! :P 

Based on that I am roughly 80lbs overweight if I take their average per inch and run it out to 6'6"

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21797/driver-going-120-mph-in-construction-zone-asks-officer-for-warning

This cracks me up and the moron asks for a warning. :roflmao: 

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Tomorrow I'm going to go have freakin laser beams put in for my eyes.... at least that's what I'm told Lasik is.

Try not to burn the place down while I'm gone for a few days.  There are some changes coming soon. 

Can we call you Cyclops then since you will have Lazer Eyes? x-men wolverine GIF

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Thought about that myself.....glasses are going to be the death of me...

Motorcycle helmets, scuba diving, snow or water skiing.... All stuff that is hard to do with glasses on.  I got tired of dealing with it.

Better yet, work is buying. They put large amounts of money in my HSA, and since I'm healthy, it has built up to about $5k. My LASIK is only going to cost $1700. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Thought about that myself.....glasses are going to be the death of me...

Na, think of them as eye protection. I have kicked around having lazer surgery myself and yet the one thing that you still end up having to wear them for is reading as you get older over 50, as such, I have come to embrace them as my eyesight is perfect for close reading and yet with yard work and wrenching on auto's, they have saved my eyes from having to wear other forms of protective eye covers.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Motorcycle helmets, scuba diving, snow or water skiing.... All stuff that is hard to do with glasses on.  I got tired of dealing with it.

Better yet, work is buying. They put large amounts of money in my HSA, and since I'm healthy, it has built up to about $5k. My LASIK is only going to cost $1700. 

That is what my contacts are for, use them for all those things, otherwise I am fine with my eyeglasses that go dark outside in the sun. Someday I might still do this, but not yet for me.

I can't wear contacts, so I wear glasses, have since I was 12.  And prescription sunglasses.  My current glasses are bifocals, which helps w/ reading though I still take them off when using my phone a lot or reading an e-book or a paper book..

@Drew Dowdell @Cubical-aka-Moltar Hi guys, I can understand and sucks that you cannot wear contacts, that is probably why I have not felt the need to do Lazik yet. Latest gen is really good, my eye doctor teaches Lazik at the UW here and so I keep up on the latest versions. Some day I will do it, just not right now.

Best of luck to a easy speedy recovery for you, remember to use your drops to keep those eyes moist Drew.

Cubicle, I can understand where you are at with the BiFocals, my dad has them and my mom has trifocals. Lucky for me not there yet and hopefully never. Stick with my single glasses and taking them off to work on the computer.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

An initial clay proposal for the '59 Buick (before the 'mutiny'). I would SO drive this; what a great, coupe-y greenhouse and dig  the antenni :

Buick-1959-early-clay.jpg

That just screams Cadillac! LOL

In continued pouring over the online order guide, I am pleased to see a nicely expanded variety of options on the new Silverado... for example, Z71 can be ordered on the WT... this mimics Ford's FX4 strategy, and Dodge's Off-Road package (starting on the new 2019 model), all of which are available on their base trim level trucks.  FINALLY, GM takes the gloves off in the battle to win EVERY SINGLE truck buyer!

Actually you know what, I could see myself in a reg cab shortbed WT Z71...

• Like 1