Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 8.57.52 PM.png

I walk along the mighty Susquehanna River on a leg of the Enola Low Grade Trail, and from time to time a train thunders by with coal cars, full and long... it stretches out of eye's view.  This is America.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I walk along the mighty Susquehanna River on a leg of the Enola Low Grade Trail, and from time to time a train thunders by with coal cars, full and long... it stretches out of eye's view.  This is America.

Cough Cough Cough, the smoke clogging killing the kids old America!

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I could be mistaken but I believe trains are the most economical form of transportation when you consider how much they move per trip.

Today's modern trains that use CNG generators with electric motors are the most efficient economical form of transportation. 

My comment is on the outdated use of Coal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Today's modern trains that use CNG generators with electric motors are the most efficient economical form of transportation. 

My comment is on the outdated use of Coal.

Yes, coal is filthy and hazardous to people and the environment.  An obsolete fuel that should have no future.

• Agree 1

@ccap41 Check out this if your interested in just how much CNG powered Locomotives, Mining, Shipping, and more are being done with CNG / LNG. 

https://www.hhpsummit.com/market-segments/rail

The Natural Gas for High Horsepower summit is really cool. One solution that has been shown off recently is using small MicroTurbines as generators in Hybrids. Very efficient, clean and less weight and room required than using traditional ICE generators.

• Thanks 1

Ug, More proof that Pruitt should be charged as a criminal for his clear disregard of health for American people.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117628_pruitt-leaves-poison-pill-at-epa-for-glider-truck-emissions-rule

This whole glider emissions rule stinks as for $225,000 a truck company bought the ability to spew toxic diesel substance into our air, water and land for pure profit of a select few. Pathetic. I hope somehow Pruitt is brought to justice for his crimes.

When you have all modern Diesel truck makers saying NO to the gilder rule as well as so many other groups both inside the gov and outside the gov, how does a criminal leader push through allowing this polluting of trucks to happen.

• Agree 1

• A customer gave me a bucket of coal, I toss pieces into my wood stove in the winter (wood stove : releasing trapped CO2 back where it was taken from).
• On another customer's inner city rental house, there is still a coal bin in the basement with a big pile of coal there, maybe 10 -15 5-gal pails of it. I might grab that later this month for the same end use.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

• A customer gave me a bucket of coal, I toss pieces into my wood stove in the winter (wood stove : releasing trapped CO2 back where it was taken from).
• On another customer's inner city rental house, there is still a coal bin in the basement with a big pile of coal there, maybe 10 -15 5-gal pails of it. I might grab that later this month for the same end use.

Sounds like its still in the 1800s there..people still heat with coal? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Are you really that naive?

No, just seems incredibly archaic.    My family 1859 house is heated w/ natural gas (with a heating oil backup furnace), though it may have been heated by coal 100 ago..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Sure, but nowhere did I say the coal was being used.
The stuff never goes bad, you know.

I can't imagine the mess it would make if I tried burning some in my fireplace..

Same one customer also gave me a bucket of charocal briquettes. I toss a few into the wood stove also- it's all fuel. Might not work the same in a fireplace; they're horribly inefficient.

My stove burns very hot- the fluepipe thermo sometimes reads 325, and according to it's packaging, the air temp in the center of the flue is double that. The firebox must be at least another 100 degrees (750), but I would not be surprised if it hit 900. I should get/borrow one of those laser thermometers.

- - - - -

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 8.10.35 PM.png

Edited by balthazar

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I can't imagine the mess it would make if I tried burning some in my fireplace..

Very true, while coal burns hot and most goes up the flew with the heat / smoke, you do get a residue of black build up over time. My family in the 70's used to get coal from a little town here called Black Diamond that had the only working coal mine. Now shut down, but by the 80's Natural gas was a superior way to heat.

Wood's the best; it warms you twice. ;)
Plus a piece of wood sitting there can't asphyxiate you.

- - - - -
I really like this pic. I knew a lot of these 'hard' girls growing up- they were tough AND cute at the same time.

girlmow.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

RIP Phoenix Postal worker who dies in truck delivering mail as morning temp hits 120 degrees. Thought those trucks would have AC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-postal-worker-found-dead-in-california-after-delivering-mail-in-extreme-heat-family-says/ar-AAzQEMI?OCID=ansmsnnews11

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

RIP Phoenix Postal worker who dies in truck delivering mail as morning temp hits 120 degrees. Thought those trucks would have AC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-postal-worker-found-dead-in-california-after-delivering-mail-in-extreme-heat-family-says/ar-AAzQEMI?OCID=ansmsnnews11

If it was one of the old Grummans, those didn't have AC...I remember talking w/ my delivery guy in Phoenix a few years ago about it.    

• Sad 1

Many will not acknowledge that we are already in a downturn of an economy, yet the numbers do not lie.

Lucky is that the auto industry is better prepared than ever for a downturn and thinning the rank n file workers to adjust to minimize loss is now very doable. 

According to the story listed below, middle of next year if we stay even with what we are doing now we will then have the longest ever prosperity time surpassing the one in the 90's.

We clearly have a tradeware and the auto industry is already reduced parts / supplies 8% and are continuing to reduce to adjust for the onhand inventory of finished auto's. Rebates are up at an all time high for many models.

Adaptation and workforce flexibility is the key to surviving the next depression.

http://www.wardsauto.com/industry-voices/industry-better-prepared-adapt-downturn

2018%20Pied%20Piper%20study%20002_6.png

http://www.wardsauto.com/dealers/auto-dealership-mystery-shopping-indicates-which-brands-rock

Great read on the brands success by Mystery Shoppers. Loved the statement that Tesla salespeople are like museum curators, answering questions but doing nothing to really sell the brand and build rapport and satisfaction.

What are your thoughts?

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

girlmow.jpg

Very mid-'70s.  There's a '74 Cutlass wagon across the street ... and in bad shape.  She bears a slight resemblance to Andrea True.  That's neutral - it can be construed as a positive or a negative.  While sort of a one hit wonder, music experts consider Andrea True's landmark song the disco era's most important and true-to-form song.

- - - - -

Did you all hear Southwest Airlines will no longer hand out packs of peanuts in the cabin?  They cite allergy issues.  I have been on flights where they did hold off on the peanuts because someone reported an allergy issue in advance.  I think it's really cost control issues.  People are way more likely to ask for additional bags of peanuts than they are for additional bags of pretzels or cookies.  In a way, I feel a little "responsible."  I've done just that.  However, I much prefer their luggage allowance to free peanuts.  I can always snag a bottle of store brand salted peanuts for $2.50 or so.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, balthazar said:

I assume you're picturing roiling clouds of black smoke, like an old steam locomotive.
Truth is, you can't tell it's in there, or that it's burning. But it disappears completely.

Steam trains "rolling coal" are done for show these days.  Back in the day, steam engine crews took pride in running extremely clean fires with very little soot. 

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that you just can't pick up the phone and call anyone (a person) anymore?  Texts are used as appointment methods to do just that.  And I'm talking about friends/peers from decades ago who you just used to pick up the phone and call.  How times have changed ... at least as far as communication tools go.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Has anyone noticed that you just can't pick up the phone and call anyone (a person) anymore?  Texts are used as appointment methods to do just that.  And I'm talking about friends/peers from decades ago who you just used to pick up the phone and call.  How times have changed ... at least as far as communication tools go.

Ya, I definitely find myself staying in touch by phone much less than in the past.  I have friends in Colorado I still call once in a while to talk with, but we mostly exchange email or texts or FB comments.  My sister and I stay in touch w/ texts & FB messenger when she is out of town or out of the country for work. About the only people that I only use the phone to stay in touch with are my brother and an uncle.  And I think the generation younger than mine rarely ever uses a phone to make calls.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ya, I definitely find myself staying in touch by phone much less than in the past.  I have friends in Colorado I still call once in a while to talk with, but we mostly exchange email or texts or FB comments.  My sister and I stay in touch w/ texts & FB messenger when she is out of town or out of the country for work. About the only people that I only use the phone to stay in touch with are my brother and an uncle.  And I think the generation younger than mine rarely ever uses a phone to make calls.

So Sad that due to technology we are in a sense isolating ourselves from society and human interaction.

I have accepted my confirmation text messages, but I am still a face to face meeting kind of guy. If we are going to have a Skype meeting, then webcam a requirement. Seeing people is very important especially if decisions are being made that have impact on products, jobs, etc. I like to see the body language.

• Agree 1

With work, I stay in touch w/ colleagues in AZ via email, daily phone calls and Skype messenger (text only).   For my teams in India and Barbados it's too unpredictable for video, so we have conference calls, with the occasional WebEx to share desktops.  

I've been working this way for over a year now, took some adjustment, but since I've been working w/ this team almost 4 years it was a pretty smooth transition. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Every few years I wander thru the friends of friends of people I wnt to HS with, to check up on just how wrinkly, spotted, flappy & old some of the hot girls from HS have become. Yikes.

In some cases, those adjectives don't apply.  They are just lacking the je ne sais quoi they used to have.  What's funny is when the ones who weren't very pleasant to most people because they lookED good (past tense) are now "nice."  And you're thinking, "Save it ... I think I'll pass."

We had a lady who worked on a different floor of this building in which I rode the elevators ... up and down ... every damn day.  She was blonde, thin, late middle age, and had kept all her curves.  She had somewhat of a stronger nose, but it looked o.k. on her.  With a couple of guys on our floor who joked around, we nicknamed her "Reunion," because she may have NOT been cool in her younger years but was now routinely pleasant to everyone, based on observing her.  She also had a shiny rock, so I think she was a (happily) married woman.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:18 PM, dfelt said:

I'd rather have a free Slurpee than a free doughnut.  Perhaps not AS bad for you.

I believe that the vast majority of people 'mellow' or 'get nicer' as they pass into middle age, tho of course there will always be a small quantity that goes the other way.
I was talking to my mother on this one and she said she used to wonder, as a girl, what it would feel like to be -say- 50. She says she doesn't feel (mentally) any different, and 50 is solidly in her rearview mirror.

- - - - - 

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 11.41.15 AM.png

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 11:13 AM, dfelt said:

Many will not acknowledge that we are already in a downturn of an economy, yet the numbers do not lie.

Lucky is that the auto industry is better prepared than ever for a downturn and thinning the rank n file workers to adjust to minimize loss is now very doable. 

According to the story listed below, middle of next year if we stay even with what we are doing now we will then have the longest ever prosperity time surpassing the one in the 90's.

We clearly have a tradeware and the auto industry is already reduced parts / supplies 8% and are continuing to reduce to adjust for the onhand inventory of finished auto's. Rebates are up at an all time high for many models.

Adaptation and workforce flexibility is the key to surviving the next depression.

http://www.wardsauto.com/industry-voices/industry-better-prepared-adapt-downturn

Meaning: Less jobs.

Folks better grab one while the boomers are retiring.....

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 5:05 PM, trinacriabob said:

Yep, see that a bit at my Job.......

And sometimes Facebook is the only way to get a hold of them when it comes to some friends. Though it could be the tend to work different hours as well...

• Agree 1