Random Thoughts Thread

On 6/27/2018 at 6:40 PM, frogger said:

Last time after drinking about two thirds of that prep drink you mix I couldn't keep it down.  Next time hopefully I don't reject it straight away...

Instructions say to chill the container of water that you mix the stuff in the night before to have it as ice cold as possible for ease of drinking and keeping it down. 😕 I guess before it shoots out the other end. My first enema. 😳

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

Ugh; short beds. Just get a car already. ;)

I am so interested in the '19- when are they scheduled to appear at dealers?

Well the crew cabs (with 5.3 or 6.5 foot beds BTW) come out first because GM (and all other truck makers) have made them the most attractive to buyers through incentives over and above all other body styles (shameful) and I think GM is saying "early 2019" IIRC.

The "double cabs" might come shortly thereafter... and lastly... the best of the best... the regular cab.  Short bed.  :smilewide:

I get sad when I see a single, tiny dog turd on the walking trail.  To me, it means the dog had to go so bad but his a-hole human kept dragging him along and he just couldn't hold it in.  People:  a dog is not a fashion accessory.  It is a living being.  Let it poop if it has to, and then clean up after it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I get sad when I see a single, tiny dog turd on the walking trail.  To me, it means the dog had to go so bad but his a-hole human kept dragging him along and he just couldn't hold it in.  People:  a dog is not a fashion accessory.  It is a living being.  Let it poop if it has to, and then clean up after it.

Probably would be mad if they got ripped off the toilet too...😂

That said, it is hot as poop around here.....dare I say I miss the 80 degree weather!

• Agree 1

On 3/13/2018 at 11:50 PM, balthazar said:

Golden Sahara II, originally built & shown by George Barris out of a '53 Lincoln Capri circa '56, rebuilt & improved circa '60, had such advanced features as automatic braking. World known & beloved in custom car circles, disappeared from public view in 1969.

Survived in private collection ever since, owner passed last year, GS II coming to auction in May. Going to be very expensive...
• Full story here •

Golden Sahara II.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

@Drew Dowdell is there a reason I can't comment on the monthly sales threads? 

I don't know, but I'm seeing a lot of weirdness w/ the sales articles.  The tables in the Ford and Toyota ones show up in micro font, have to zoom in to read them on a 15 inch monitor.  And if I click on the GM one, I get logged out and a blank page. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

@Drew Dowdell is there a reason I can't comment on the monthly sales threads? 

Some really weird things are happening with the site today, I have right mouse clicked on threads and had it open in a new tab and have me not signed in and when I try I cannot get in to comment. I also have huge white spaces that pop up in random places on the page.

image.png

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well, at least it isn't just me...Hahaha

But it hasn't allowed me to comment on the sales threads for the last few months. 

I was able to leave a comment on the Mazda sales thread.   i've noticed a lot of other wierdness this week, like the 'Unread' and 'Mark Site as Read' links waaaay off to the right (have to scroll to see them) and ads appearing in odd spots.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I was able to leave a comment on the Mazda sales thread.   i've noticed a lot of other wierdness this week, like the 'Unread' and 'Mark Site as Read' links waaaay off to the right (have to scroll to see them) and ads appearing in odd spots.

I don't even get the text box to type in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

I don't even get the text box to type in.

I do, just way at the bottom after scrolling a few pages. Really weird as if our Forum is possessed by Potus :P  Sarcasm folks, Sarcasm.

We have a new ad server.  If you're blocking ads, it might screw things up.  I've also just now turned down the settings on it to try and prevent issues.  I'm only mixed about this service, but I'm going to give it a week to prove itself. 

14 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'm not blocking ads, and it looks pretty screwed up in terms of white space and formatting.  Looks worse on Safari than on Chrome. 

I'm still making adjustments and learning the new system.  I hope you all can be patient with me.  This is how I pay the server bills. 

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm still making adjustments and learning the new system.  I hope you all can be patient with me.  This is how I pay the server bills. 

No problem..just reporting what we see.   The joy of software configuration...  trying to get websites looking and working consistently on different browsers and mobile is one of my biggest headaches as a developer (though I have UI guys I work with that I defer that to so I can focus on the internals and back end integration). 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

This is a "managed" system where I set up basic place holders and the service goes out and fills them with ads.  The problem appears to be that they are filling with ads of the wrong shape for the space, so I need to adjust it. 

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

All good Drew, Happy to be a QA Tester for you as I appreciate what you do to pay the bills. 

Like @Cubical-aka-Moltar I get white spaces and weird formatting on Chrome / Opera and worse on Firefox. 

Here is Opera

image.png

:roflmao: Seems the web site will not even come up on Edge. So much for the Pure HTML5 browser. :P 

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

:roflmao: Seems the web site will not even come up on Edge. So much for the Pure HTML5 browser. :P 

I have more problems w/ Edge than other browsers on my work websites I do development on.    Mostly weird css formatting and Javascript issues. 

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah no worries at all. I was just pointing something out that i didt know if you knew about or not. 

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I usually just leave a tip.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, this is interesting...No box for my to post.....going to have to quote people to talk...

Really going to have to be the +1 guy now.....😂

• Haha 1

For now at least, until the fix is made, all you have to do is copy/paste if you want to 'quote'... but with the minimal traffic, there's really no need to physically quote unless it's a page back or more.

I have done this many times in the past :

">
Well, this is interesting...No box for my to post.....going to have to quote people to talk... <"

Funny how the Desoto has a fin on the decklid. (or I wonder if that is a full-length one on the driver's side for comparison). 

I'm surprised automakers didn't add center fins to decklids or roof fins.

50 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Funny how the Desoto has a fin on the decklid. (or I wonder if that is a full-length one on the driver's side for comparison). 

I'm surprised automakers didn't add center fins to decklids or roof fins.

They had to take 50+ years before Fins on roofs became the new norm as an Antenna. :P 

As far as 1960 Mopies, I like how the '60 Chrysler and DeSoto turned out...fins starting in the doors.    The Dodges and Plymouths were less attractive IMO....and '61 brought the horrific Plymouth front and weird reverse fin Dodges.

1960Chrysler300F_01_1000.jpg

sc0517-294326_12.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 2

Has anyone seen "Den of Thieves?"  This thing was on my video screen in front of me on the plane but I didn't put on the headphones because of the engine noise.  I am not good at watching a movie on a plane.  It looked intense.  I didn't watch to see how it ended.  I will put it on my bucket list.  What did you think ... if you saw it?  Also, is there anyone in the last decade who is a hard ass, either by hoodlum ways or legit ways, who does NOT have tattoos?

Any good movies around that anyone has seen?  I think I mentioned that "Three Billboards ... " was a riveting movie, but that was a 2017 flick.

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Has anyone seen "Den of Thieves?"  This thing was on my video screen in front of me on the plane but I didn't put on the headphones because of the engine noise.  I am not good at watching a movie on a plane.  It looked intense.  I didn't watch to see how it ended.  I will put it on my bucket list.  What did you think ... if you saw it?  Also, is there anyone in the last decade who is a hard ass, either by hoodlum ways or legit ways, who does NOT have tattoos?

Any good movies around that anyone has seen?  I think I mentioned that "Three Billboards ... " was a riveting movie, but that was a 2017 flick.

Ready Player One is a great movie from this year.

Yea, so tired of everyone getting tatted up. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Ready Player One is a great movie from this year.

Yea, so tired of everyone getting tatted up. 

It's funny, when I was young 20-30 years ago, tats seemed to only be for outlaws, felons and sleazoids.   But then they became totally mainstream...I've worked with consultants and IT managers with full sleeve tats... 

As far as 2018 movies, I realized I haven't seen any new releases this year...mostly just been streaming UK and Scandinavian TV shows...along w/ a few US streaming shows ('Bosch','Goliath', 'Silicon Valley', 'Divorce', 'Barry')...looking forward to the next season of 'Better Call Saul' soon. 

The last movies I saw in a theatre were last year--'Baby Driver', 'Blade Runner 2049', and 'The Last Jedi'. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's funny, when I was young 20-30 years ago, tats seemed to only be for outlaws, felons and sleazoids.   But then they became totally mainstream...I've worked with consultants and IT managers with full sleeve tats... 

Very true.  But it's a choice people make.  Because while some 20-somethings are getting them, others are choosing not to.  I see that the hip, older neighborhoods have way more young(er) people with tats while kids working in retail, coffeehouses, and supermarkets in the suburbs are way less apt to have them.   So, while the observation above is true, it begs the question "why?"  At least to me.  We've lived in a society that has always touted good skin tone and healthy skin and have been bombarded by the media about maintaining good skin quality.  And they look quite bad on those who got them at an advanced age.  (Incidentally, the late Anthony Bourdain had one ... or two.)   If I was 20 years younger, I wouldn't do it.  I don't care who has them.  Help yourself.  A few places I don't want to see them is at a financial institution or on an airplane flight crew.  But that's me being a fuddy-duddy.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1