Random Thoughts Thread

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

2020 Silverado Midnight Edition ~

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 12.12.49 AM.png

Wow, the only time this does not look too bad, but the styling is still Meh at best, GMC looks way better. Chevrolet better find their Styling Mojo fast.

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Dig the wackadoodle TN license plate frame ~

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.32.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 12.47.35 AM.png

Why can't we do anything cool like this anymore?

The criminal printers are too lazy and unable to handle the complex printing and design that this would entail. After all basic minimal rectangle stamping seems to be the norm for our idiot politicians to deal with also since we have to pay the criminals to make them now. 🙄

I totally agree with you, would be cool to go back to state shaped license plates. Better yet, just make it a RFID Fob you have attached to the windshield below your rear view mirror and remove the bloody plates all together. So much cleaner and aerodynamic. 

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Because will be pretty hard to put letter or numbers on NJ plate made in a state shape :)

316px-New_Jersey_Outline_map.svg.png

Some states just need to be merged with other states to become proper sized states and then there are those that really are just bedroom communities so why bother being a state like NJ. You could cut it in half and put half in NY and half in Pennsylvania. LOL :P 

• Disagree 3

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Some states just need to be merged with other states to become proper sized states and then there are those that really are just bedroom communities so why bother being a state like NJ. You could cut it in half and put half in NY and half in Pennsylvania. LOL :P 

I usually don't downvote, but you deserve it for sh@tting on somebody's home

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Found a few more vintage plates where states embraced the same 'outline' concept, but obviously the ability to do so is limited.
Firstly tho, who wouldn't want to top their '50s TN plate with another TN-shaped topper?

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.40.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.39.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.40.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.39.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.40.08 AM.png

It is interesting...don't think I've ever seen one of the irregularly state plates in person...it would be easy with Colorado and Wyoming--both are rectangles, more problematic with long narrow state shapes like California, Florida, New Hampshire, etc... and Hawaii would have to be one piece...

3 hours ago, ykX said:

I usually don't downvote, but you deserve it for sh@tting on somebody's home

Ahh Darn, sarcasm failure all ready in the new year.  🤣

• Agree 1

Image result for nwt license plate"

And while Quebec's former plate was just a regular rectangle...it was the slogan that was special before it became political.

LA BELLE PROVINCE is sooooooo much better than Je Me Souviens.   

THE BEAUTIFUL PROVINCE  as opposed to I Remember.  

I do not know if other Provinces and States changed colours ever two years or so, but this is how Quebec's plates looked like during the muscle car era. 

Image result for quebec license plate la belle province"

Image result for quebec license plate la belle province

Image result for 1970 quebec license plate la belle province

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

On 1/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, balthazar said:

• I forget about DEF; I have a pre-DEF Duramax. I agree that the difference would be minor, numbers-wise.

• I used $3/gal of diesel in my example but I've been paying roughly between 2.75 and 2.90 for I think at least a year (would have to check my log). Gasbuddy says my regular-use station is 2.59 for regular (credit) and 2.93 for diesel today.

But I was comparing a 3.0L DM to my 6.6L DM, not against gas. Right now, I'm building my case to replace my truck, and am intrigued at the 3.0L. I do like the longevity of a diesel. 😎
Kinda seems counter-productive to replace my truck with one that gets the same MPG if there are other options, but your point numbers-wise is totally valid. 🤔

The true question is I’d you would enjoy it.

Buddy of mine still got one because he just loves those types of trucks. So you can guess what his new truck was. 🙂 

Also helps he has an 2009 Fusion 4 banger for around town when he might want to pocket a. Few bucks this week....

20-something Amishman jogger in the park this morning, in formation with 6 other non-Amish joggers.  He was in full dress, minus the hat.  As I was leaving, I saw his horse plugged in at the hitching post.  What's this world coming to?

• Haha 1

Windy, rainy and up to 68 degrees this afternoon...crazy for Cleveland in January.   Went out for tacos this afternoon and spotted a clean dark gray mid 90s Buick Park Avenue that appeared rust free, also saw a clean silver blue '91-93 Caprice sedan.     

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:26 PM, oldshurst442 said:

And while Quebec's former plate was just a regular rectangle...it was the slogan that was special before it became political.

LA BELLE PROVINCE is sooooooo much better than Je Me Souviens.   

THE BEAUTIFUL PROVINCE  as opposed to I Remember.  

I do not know if other Provinces and States changed colours ever two years or so, but this is how Quebec's plates looked like during the muscle car era. 

Image result for 1970 quebec license plate la belle province

Is "je me souviens" still on the plates?  I've been there within  the last few years, but it's escaping me.  I like the latest plates with the flag of Quebec and their clean colors and look.

I would prefer "la belle province" as the inscription, though.

I wish I could say that about the food at fast food chain "La Belle Province" ... it's not that good.  A&W is a fairly popular chain in the Montreal suburbs.  I'll take their food over the food at "La Belle Province."  

On 1/10/2020 at 12:49 AM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.32.15 PM.png

Why can't we do anything cool like this anymore?

The duck is what makes this one unique.

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Windy, rainy and up to 68 degrees this afternoon...crazy for Cleveland in January.   Went out for tacos this afternoon and spotted a clean dark gray mid 90s Buick Park Avenue that appeared rust free, also saw a clean silver blue '91-93 Caprice sedan.     

Hard to find those around here...

Crazy rain here as well. Icing as I speak. Hope we don't lose power.....

Very warm here, was pleasant for a drive down to Hoopers Island, MD in the Kia Forte, which averaged over 49 MPG according to the DIC.  Got up to 68 degrees according to the car's temp read-out.

Edited by ocnblu

17 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Is "je me souviens" still on the plates?  I've been there within  the last few years, but it's escaping me.  I like the latest plates with the flag of Quebec and their clean colors and look.

I would prefer "la belle province" as the inscription, though.

I wish I could say that about the food at fast food chain "La Belle Province" ... it's not that good.  A&W is a fairly popular chain in the Montreal suburbs.  I'll take their food over the food at "La Belle Province."  

Quebec hasnt changed their plate since they went to Je Me Souviens.  Boring white backround with blue lettering. With that crappy inscription. I like love the Fleur de Lys though.  I understand the reasoning for that inscription, I just think in 2019-2020, Quebec should move on from playing the victim.  I think if they went back to La Belle Province, they, as a people, would have a stronger identity in Canada and in the world going forward. Playing the victim, you always have a chip on your shoulder and you could never overcome your "status" as a "victim". 

Image result for 2019 quebec license plate

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I just think in 2019-2020, Quebec should move on from playing the victim.  I think if they went back to La Belle Province, they, as a people, would have a stronger identity in Canada and in the world going forward. Playing the victim, you always have a chip on your shoulder and you could never overcome your "status" as a "victim". 

Image result for 2019 quebec license plate

Yes.  And, here in the U.S., the (many) crybabies get knotted up in overdrive when they perceive the slightest political incorrectness.  

It was in the late '90s, I think, that someone in a high level government position in Quebec City said, "We do not need to speak French.  We need French in order to speak."  I understand what he meant, but I can only laugh at such a pompous statement.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Yes.  And, here in the U.S., the (many) crybabies get knotted up in overdrive when they perceive the slightest political incorrectness.  

It was in the late '90s, I think, that someone in a high level government position in Quebec City said, "We do not need to speak French.  We need French in order to speak."  I understand what he meant, but I can only laugh at such a pompous statement.

Yeah...I remember that. LOL

I have since forgotten in what context that statement was made.  But thanx for the memories. 

• Thanks 1

Excitment for GMC tomorrow,  could this be the Hummer by GMC announcement or could it be the long awaited Raptor competitor? 

EXCITMENT!!!

Greater Seattle area got a good dose of winter, 6 inches at my house, 9 inches at my sisters and the freeway and local roads are littered with abandoned BMW xDrive and Mercedes-Benz A and C class 4matics all over. Just proves awd is useless if one does not learn how to drive in the snow.

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Excitment for GMC tomorrow,  could this be the Hummer by GMC announcement or could it be the long awaited Raptor competitor? 

EXCITMENT!!!

Greater Seattle area got a good dose of winter, 6 inches at my house, 9 inches at my sisters and the freeway and local roads are littered with abandoned BMW xDrive and Mercedes-Benz A and C class 4matics all over. Just proves awd is useless if one does not learn how to drive in the snow.

Baby Yoda can deduce from the teaser photo... that's the new Yukon.  The GMC Yukon is GMC's fullsize, body-on-frame SUV.

13 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Baby Yoda can deduce from the teaser photo... that's the new Yukon.  The GMC Yukon is GMC's fullsize, body-on-frame SUV.

Doh, I had forgotten about that option, Thx! :D 

This is what 12 years of LaCrosse looks like

KIMG4122.thumb.JPG.e052e701dd08122e67590ced96de3983.JPG

Incredible salad bar

KIMG4128.thumb.JPG.d884372b7e71323340f61e53918f7fa7.JPG

(clockwise) bacon wrapped chicken, flank steak,  parmesan crusted chicken drumettes, and top sirloin (picanha); why bore you with car photos?

I'm figuring that, if I've gotten another year of reasonably hassle free service, I can head over this chain Brazilian steakhouse on the day(s) they feature their lunch menu.  (I get taken here for my birthday, as it is!)

BTW, the car sits at slightly over 95,000 miles.

Have a great day.

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Some might say this is a sexist picture, I say the woman just give ya a better attention to detail. :P 

There was this brand of "big hair" ... and the Farrah Fawcett brand of "big hair."

And, per the pumps, I'm assuming at least of one these ladies may be named "Ethel."

• Haha 1

^^^  I had the same thought when I read DFELT's post. 

A picture is said to be worth a thousand words. But...art could also be translated a thousand ways.

A photograph is most certainly art. 

If one person wants to interpret that photogragh as a sexist one, than that person is sick in the head.

Those women, are free to work, make money and buy anything they want to buy.  They dont need a "man" to support them.

What I see also, in that pic, is that a man is reliant on  a woman, MANY women, to get his car on the road because it seems he is incompetent to do it on his own.  

WAIT A MINUTE???!!!

You are correct, it IS sexist. It shows that older white males are dumb and stupid and cant pump their own gas and need women to survive.

I call BEE ESSSSSS on that!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^  I had the same thought when I read DFELT's post. 

A picture is said to be worth a thousand words. But...art could also be translated a thousand ways.

A photograph is most certainly art. 

If one person wants to interpret that photogragh as a sexist one, than that person is sick in the head.

I'm agreeing with you.  It's a sad sign of the times.  Some thin skinned people are looking to pick a fight over a hair and most of these brittle social justice warriors would wimp out in real life if you gave it right back at them.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

For some reason I find 1967 Olds 88s fascinating...Delta and Delmont

20900980001_large.jpg

images-11.jpeg

1967_oldsmobile_88_1565962565dff9f98764daimg_3947_large_sm_eda40ebee588a6c61faa88930c2258c051c175bd.jpg

1967-oldsmobile-delmont-88-2-door-hardtop-4.JPG

Come to think of it, so do/did I.  The front is strong, that flank at the rear pillar-less windows is cool, and the rear lights are minimalist but not wimpy.  Did this car's roof line do its own thing or was it shared with any other GMs - Caprice, Catalina, etc.?

Wouldn't Delmont be the more austere model as compared to the Delta 88, sort of like how there was a Cadillac Calais a notch below a Coupe de Ville the following decade?

This car needs the rally type wheels, and not hubcaps, for it to all work.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Did this car's roof line do its own thing or was it shared with any other GMs - Caprice, Catalina, etc.?

The top skin may be the same, but the C-Pillar is definitely unique to Olds here. They used a huge kick-up in both the quarter window and the decklid, so the steel and the glass is different than Buick, Pontiac or Chevrolet.

• Thanks 1

Well, for the first time in 13 years, I have two car payments again. Wife’s old Cavalier (2003) finally cracked a few door hinges on the drivers side, and she was replaced after almost 17 years with a brand new 2020 Chevy Trax. 

Pretty nice little CUV I have to say after riding around in it tonight...... 🙂 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Well, for the first time in 13 years, I have two car payments again. Wife’s old Cavalier (2003) finally cracked a few door hinges on the drivers side, and she was replaced after almost 17 years with a brand new 2020 Chevy Trax. 

Pretty nice little CUV I have to say after riding around in it tonight...... 🙂 

Well I think congratulations are in order!  I wish I had the testicular fortitude to keep a vehicle until the doors fall off!  Cavaliers were/are unsung heroes, imo.

• Thanks 1

Congrats... my sister has a 2015 Trax and has been happy with it overall..has over 20k now after driving to Florida a couple weeks ago.  The floor filled with water during heavy rain driving on the way down there, had to spend a few days at a dealer last week...not sure what the problem was, but water was coming in somewhere through the HVAC system.  She said the dealer blamed it on squirrels.. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well I think congratulations are in order!  I wish I had the testicular fortitude to keep a vehicle until the doors fall off!  Cavaliers were/are unsung heroes, imo.

Thanks! The door near did off to fall off to finally finish it!  Otherwise it would have been rust.....tough part is you get attached to something when you have it that long!

Wife loves that Trax though.....

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Congrats on getting something new but what attracted to you a ...Chevy Trax...? 

Wife likes my Equinox, but she wanted something super easy to park since she works at a school, and also drops my son off at school. She test drove it, and loved it. And with the rebates on it, it was hard to say no to it...

Happy wife, happy life (I think) 🙂 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Wife likes my Equinox, but she wanted something super easy to park since she works at a school, and also drops my son off at school. She test drove it, and loved it. And with the rebates on it, it was hard to say no to it...

Happy wife, happy life (I think) 🙂 

Equinox is great but much bigger turning radius than the Trax. I honestly am shocked at the turning radius of the CUVs from GM as my SS has a much tighter turning radius than many compact CUVs and it is Mid Size.

GM needs to fix the poor turning radius of their products.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Equinox is great but much bigger turning radius than the Trax. I honestly am shocked at the turning radius of the CUVs from GM as my SS has a much tighter turning radius than many compact CUVs and it is Mid Size.

GM needs to fix the poor turning radius of their products.

I think that is an inherent flaw with transverse FWD platforms...just can't turn the front wheels as tightly as a north-south engine layout..

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1