Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

22 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Wife likes my Equinox, but she wanted something super easy to park since she works at a school, and also drops my son off at school. She test drove it, and loved it. And with the rebates on it, it was hard to say no to it...

Happy wife, happy life (I think) 🙂 

Did you guys look at other compact CUVs or just diehard GM people? 

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I look at everything, wife has tested so many and yet she has always come back to GM, loves her full size SUV, aka Suburban and Escalade we have and her SS. The tight Turning radius and performance of the SS goes up against the others and so far nothing has beat it. She really liked the looks externally of the MDX, but the interior she hated, turning radius was a pig.

At this point, she is going to wait for an EV. She does like the looks of the Lincolns, but has decided her SS will be her last ICE auto.

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I wish I could say diehard GM people.. 🙂 

We also looked at the baby Jeep, Ford Ecosport, and the Kia Soul. The Renegade was nice too, but the insurance was nuts-and there were no deals at all. The EcoSport handled well, and was also in the running. (Though the higher trims had cool stuff. 🙂 ) The Soul offered quite a bit too, and the wife liked that too. The killer for the Soul was she struggled to see out the back-a big no no in our neighborhood.

The EcoSport offered some good deals too- but the Trax won her over.....

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

I look at everything, wife has tested so many and yet she has always come back to GM, loves her full size SUV, aka Suburban and Escalade we have and her SS. The tight Turning radius and performance of the SS goes up against the others and so far nothing has beat it. She really liked the looks externally of the MDX, but the interior she hated, turning radius was a pig.

At this point, she is going to wait for an EV. She does like the looks of the Lincolns, but has decided her SS will be her last ICE auto.

We do too. I used to be diehard GM ( have family/friends at GM) but my tastes have changed over the years. I looked at quite a bit of different stuff before my Equiniox. 

Timing helped the Equinox, and my wife’s taste (and the deal) won over the wife for the Trax. I will say the Trax is starting to grow on me quick.... 🙂 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

We also looked at the baby Jeep, Ford Ecosport, and the Kia Soul. The Renegade was nice too, but the insurance was nuts-and there were no deals at all. The EcoSport handled well, and was also in the running. (Though the higher trims had cool stuff. 🙂 ) The Soul offered quite a bit too, and the wife liked that too. The killer for the Soul was she struggled to see out the back-a big no no in our neighborhood.

As I captain my 6.3 sec 0-60 V6 Colorado, I still have a soft spot for the 2.0L 4WD Ecosport, especially now when competitive pressure is driving the transaction prices way down.  All the reviewers are saying the little Ford has a good ride and handling, and without the impediment of an artificially high selling price, it becomes much friendlier of a proposition.

Same with the Trax, which is selling with excellent discounts.  Known for a smooth ride and good handling.

I keep checking for Chevy's Build&Price function to come online for the 2021 Trailblazer, too.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I had a loaner EcoSport and while it had some nice things it felt cheap as hell, overall. It just didn't feel like a 28k vehicle(that was the sticker on a pretty loaded SEL). I could not imagine spending that kind of money on that vehicle. It easily had the feel of a sub-20k vehicle. 

I haven't spent any time in the other sub-compact SUVs but the new Mazda CX-30 would be the first place I would look if I was in the market for a new sub-compact SUV. I doubt there are any discounts on those though as they're brand new and there probably aren't many or any on lots yet. 

I was not a fan of the overall ride of the EcoSport. It wasn't like any one thing was bad or anything like that but the thing that stood out to me was when driving on the interstate, it felt twitchy. I have to assume that's a short wheelbase thing but I didn't like that. That was really the only glaring handling thing that I didn't like. 

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

Tidbit from the field; local Chevy salesman said 'like 90%' of Silverados they sell are short beds.

😫

That makes sense to me from my non-scientific eyes. I see waaaay more crew cabs with short beds than anything else. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I keep checking for Chevy's Build&Price function to come online for the 2021 Trailblazer, too.

Ahhh I keep forgetting about that vehicle! It looks sharp. That would be high on the sub-compact list along with the CX-30.

They must be pretty different in size because "sub-20k" for the Trailblazer vs $21,800 for the CX-30. 

I would absolutely have to have the 1.3 w/ AWD and the 9-spd though, in the Trailblazer. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Ah yes, the ol' "five gallon bucket trick"...

I'm 5'8". Stood next to a 2020 2500HD on the dealer lot last night- bed sides are chin-height on me. Can only reach 50% into the depth of the bed- but I can touch the bed floor on my '04 2500HD.
If I buy a new truck, even a 1500, I'm going to have to seriously look into a lowering kit. I use my bed all the time.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm 5'8". Stood next to a 2020 2500HD on the dealer lot last night- bed sides are chin-height on me. Can only reach 50% into the depth of the bed- but I can touch the bed floor on my '04 2500HD.
If I buy a new truck, even a 1500, I'm going to have to seriously look into a lowering kit. I use my bed all the time.

It's insane how tall these new trucks are. I'm also 5'8" and, without testing them out, I'm confident I would have issues with the half-ton trucks as well. My dad's Tacoma is a good height for that and it's considerably smaller than any full size truck. 

I could see wanting a "reverse" leveling kit where you drop the rear ~2 inches instead of lifting the front. I don't know if that's a thing but that's probably about all I would want for the sake of appearance. 

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

+1,000,000

For DFelt-sized people they need to offer extended roof options.. 

Gobble_truck.JPG.jpg

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

It's insane how tall these new trucks are. I'm also 5'8" and, without testing them out, I'm confident I would have issues with the half-ton trucks as well. My dad's Tacoma is a good height for that and it's considerably smaller than any full size truck. 

I could see wanting a "reverse" leveling kit where you drop the rear ~2 inches instead of lifting the front. I don't know if that's a thing but that's probably about all I would want for the sake of appearance. 

Yeah, I'm 6'0" and found I can't easily reach into the bed of a typical 2wd full size truck today..they sit very high even in 2wd form. 

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Hey, I know we have covered this somewhere, but could not remember, @Drew Dowdell @William Maley and anyone else, The platform that the Trailblazer is built on, is it used by Cadillac?

I don't think so, the XT4 is built on E2XX (Epsilon 2 updated).  Trailblazer I believe is VSS-F.. maybe VSS-S (S for SUV).  Future smaller XT2 or 3 could use the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, frogger said:

I don't think so, the XT4 is built on E2XX (Epsilon 2 updated).  Trailblazer I believe is VSS-F.. maybe VSS-S (S for SUV).  Future smaller XT2 or 3 could use the same. 

Ya, VSS-F, same as the Encore GX.   I'd think they would do an XT3 on that, and there's room for an XT2 on the Trax/Encore platform also... ;)   Since we are in a CUV-driven market, GM should add as many as they can while the market is hot...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Sad 1

This thought struck me today~

The proponents/religious zealots of autonomous driving cars frequently claim that 'the vast majority of driver's aren't very skilled, and this would help reduce accidents'.
There seems to be a huge cross-over where these same proponents also fully support electric vehicles (not yet or neccessarily in the same vehicle). Many of the EVs (and near future EVs) go 0-60 around 3.0 secs.

🤔

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I did that to my 2007 Sierra.  2" lowering shackles on the rear leaves to level it. 

411662_3944486098897_1197072940_o.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ocnblu said:

As I captain my 6.3 sec 0-60 V6 Colorado, I still have a soft spot for the 2.0L 4WD Ecosport, especially now when competitive pressure is driving the transaction prices way down.  All the reviewers are saying the little Ford has a good ride and handling, and without the impediment of an artificially high selling price, it becomes much friendlier of a proposition.

Same with the Trax, which is selling with excellent discounts.  Known for a smooth ride and good handling.

I find myself watching the trailblazer too....

• Agree 1

Too bad no Barrett Jackson Scottsdale mentions on here. I'm sure it's a copyright issue, but some amazing classics getting big money rolling across the block right now. Heading over tomorrow to see for myself.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 11.36.50 AM.png

I do love those '59-'60 Biscaynes.  There's something to be said about minimalism.  This is automotive art in its simplest form.  Just you, your intrepid steed, and the road.  I'll bet it could be ordered without heater, windshield warshers, or backup lights, am I right, Balthy?

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I do love those '59-'60 Biscaynes.  There's something to be said about minimalism.  This is automotive art in its simplest form.  Just you, your intrepid steed, and the road.  I'll bet it could be ordered without heater, windshield warshers, or backup lights, am I right, Balthy?

That's a Cadillac interior in the pic... Chevys had round gauges..and a Biscayne didn't have all the shiny trim.

112771_Interior_Web.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Ford Brazil built the '65 Ford Galaxie until 1984. This is a '74 :

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.47.12 AM.png

Note that it's the '66 they started from.   And they had a 292 Y-block V8.  Heres an '82...

maxresdefault-7.jpg

Similarly, Argentina built the '69 style Fairlane through '73, and the '69 style Fairlane through '81.    With a 6 and 292 Y-block. 

220px-Blue_Argentine_Ford_Fairlane.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Image result for Tesla Model 3 interior"

Image result for i agree gif"

• Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Hmmmmmmm.....   

Gearz of some sorts.    What are they turning?    This looks to be huge. 

It cant be a transmission because gears in those are different sizes to account for different speeds, right?   

Same for watches and clocks. Different sized gears for different changes in time....second hand and minute hand and hour hand and then another tangent gear for day and/or month.    

This is an engine of some sort?    Because Im stumped. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model 3. 

Minimalist? Yes.

Luxury?  No. 

Arsty Fartsy?  Quite possibly.  

A pain in the ass to access certain things that need to be accessed? 

Some say no. Some say you get used to it.  I say....there are certain things in life that do not need to be digitized on a TV screen. Buttons work well...extremely well. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Agree 1

I wonder which GM trans this is.  The label is on the other side. 

I saw it at a rural repair shop where an acquaintance knows the owner.  You wouldn't believe the random sh!t in that place.

IMG_2018-10-25_15-43-06.thumb.jpeg.2a397589451edcd31a0aeb737d21bc2e.jpeg

MSN posted the Best selling Cars in America by Brand. Very interesting to read.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research-guides/best-selling-cars-in-america-—-by-brand/ss-BBYPu65?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1

• Acura RDS 62,876
  • Alfa Tomeo Stelvio 9,444
  • Aston Martin Vantage confirmed their top seller but refused to state sales number
  • Audi Q5 67,516
  • Bentley Continental GT confirmed top seller, refused to state sales numbers
  • BMW X3 70,110
  • Buick Encore 102,402
  • Cadillac XT5 49,879
  • Chevy Silverado 575,600
  • Chrysler Pacifica 97,705
  • Dodge Grand Caravan 122,648
  • Fiat 500 3,267
  • Ford F-series 896,526
  • Genesis G70 11,901
  • GMC Sierra 232,323
  • Honda CR-V 384,168
  • Hyundai Elantra 175,094
  • Infinity QX60 43,162
  • Jaguar F-Pace 15,491
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee 242,969
  • Kia Soul 98,033
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 25,768
  • Lexus RX 111,036
  • Lincoln Nautilus 28,573
  • Mazda CX-5 154,545
  • McLaren 600LT confirmed top seller, refused to state sales numbers
  • Mercedes-Benz GLC 73,650
  • Mini Cooper 22,123
  • Mitsubishi Outlander 40,775
  • Nissan Rogue 350,447
  • Porsche Macan 22,667
  • Ram Pickup 633,694
  • Rolls-Royce Cullinan confirmed top seller, refused to state sales numbers
  • Subaru Outback 181,178
  • Tesla Model 3 180,000
  • Toyota RAV4 448,071
  • Volkswagen Tiguan 109,963
  • Volvo XC90 35,760

Clearly the SUV/CUV and Truck is the rage of the auto selling world and some models are just printing money for their company.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Bet that Buick, with flush glass and a few other details, would have a killer .cd. It's the naturally 'wind superior' teardrop.

Probably..that like a '42-48 style?   I think the '50 was cool looking w/ the grille eating the bumper...

1950-buick-special-2-door-sedanette-fastback-1.JPG

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Probably..that like a '42-48 style?  

I believe it was advertised as a '48 (no VentiPorts, so not a '49).
Interesting tid-bit; only the senior '42 Buicks got the 'flow thru' fenders (like shown above) - the junior model sedanettes had separate fenders.

Edited by balthazar

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I believe it was advertised as a '48 (no VentiPorts, so not a '49).
Interesting tid-bit; only the senior '42 Buicks got the 'flow thru' fenders (like shown above) - the junior model sedanettes had separate fenders.

'Interesting..so it looks like the junior models (Special?) still had the old body for '49 while the Super had the new body... 

076b7316968c55b56785ff355081e08c.jpg