Random Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

Teams works, half of Dell uses Teams, the Engineering side uses Slack. Like them both, Have numerous funny parties on the channels. Never a boring day that is for sure.

We have found Zoom to be far more reliable then WebEx or the built in meeting software of Slack or Teams.

We've used Zoom and Slack for a few years now. Zoom for video conferencing and Slack for IM, both work pretty well. 

• Agree 1

Just had a conference call all hands w/ my client...the CEO advised everyone that can to work from home that  they can, but a lot of people in the offices (Scottsdale and Tampa) have desktops and not laptops.   

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Just had a conference call all hands w/ my client...the CEO advised everyone that can to work from home that  they can, but a lot of people in the offices (Scottsdale and Tampa) have desktops and not laptops.   

I can see this as pushing more companies to move away from the desktop and into laptops with docking stations. Dell Tech internally only issues laptops with docking stations to all employees. Only under special circumstance with mgmt. approval can you get a desktop.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

THIS is THE problem.  And YOU acknowledge it.

It AINT the media.

Its YOU.

All that conspiracy theory stuff is all in your head about clicks and views.  

And to tell you the truth. The good Doctor on that podcast really didnt say anything at all. Like I did. Nothing. 

JUST COMMON SENSE AND LOGIC...with the available information at hand about Covid-19.

For all we know...that Doc is a fake.  How do we know he is a doctor?  Maybe he is an actor. Joe Rogan is an actor... In Hollyweird.   Its easy to distrust.  So we could easily denounce that podcast as well...

I'm not the one making the clickbait headlines... 

Rogan isn't an actor. Well, I guess he's acted before but he definitely isn't know AS an actor. 

Denounce what you'd like to denounce.. 

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I can see this as pushing more companies to move away from the desktop and into laptops with docking stations. Dell Tech internally only issues laptops with docking stations to all employees. Only under special circumstance with mgmt. approval can you get a desktop.

Most of the developers and management have laptops at my client, but many of the people working on the business domain side (claims processors, actuaries, etc) have desktops along w/ the customer support staff.. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm not the one making the clickbait headlines... 

Rogan isn't an actor. Well, I guess he's acted before but he definitely isn't know AS an actor. 

Denounce what you'd like to denounce.. 

Rogan's a comedian/MMA/podcaster though..not a journalist or anyone authoritative or serious.   Just another talking head.

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Most of the developers and management have laptops at my client, but many of the people working on the business domain side (claims processors, actuaries, etc) have desktops along w/ the customer support staff.. 

Rogan's a comedian/MMA/podcaster though..not a journalist or anyone authoritative or serious.   Just another talking head.

Yes, that's why there is the professional he's speaking to. Rogan isn't the one attempting to speak factual about a topic he doesn't know. 

BMW Yesterday reported a 29% drop in profits for 2019. They also have announced they will cut in half their ICE power train portfolio and models as they move to an EV portfolio in support of the global market. 50% will no longer be produced starting in 2021.

https://electrek.co/2020/03/13/bmw-to-cut-half-its-internal-combustion-engines-as-profits-slump/#more-126366

i8 hybrid auto is now dead also as BMW focuses on EVs that are part of existing brand lines such as the 3 and 5 series.

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

BMW... announced they will cut in half their ICE power train portfolio and models as they move to an EV portfolio in support of the global market. 50% will no longer be produced starting in 2021.

Would love to see their internal projected balance sheet! 😆

I know the intent there but what are the parents supposed to do? Not all parents are working from home or have a job that they can not be there, Police, doctors/nurses. There will be kids who aren't getting fed, the families who rely on the public school system for meals, and kids with no parental supervision. 

Edited by ccap41

Just now, ccap41 said:

I know the intent there but what are the parents supposed to do? Not all parents are working from home or have a job that they can not be there, Police, doctors/nurses. There will be kids who aren't getting fed, the families who rely on the public school system for meals, and kids with no parental supervision. 

It's going to be a lot of not good for a lot of people, I'm afraid.. it seems like a lot of quick, panicky decisions, not well thought out. 

• Agree 1

While it is going to be a problem for many people I think closing schools and public places is a good thing.  It is the best way to prevent spreading of the virus.  Sometimes the right decision is the tough one.  Actually, I think they should have started closings earlier.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm going to be working from home more and relying on our parents a lot (we are lucky that they are available and willing), our schools are closed for the next three weeks (one was planned March Break, the rest tacked on).

Funny my son's class got an "assignment" last week regarding them documenting the fun things they got up to during March Break, going to be a heck of a lot of "stayed home and played with lego" etc instead of "Went to Europe/Hawaii/The Rockies" etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Here school districts are planning meals still to insure kids get breakfast and lunch. Those that can walk to the school to pick up a sack meal can and they said some will be delivered. Interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Here school districts are planning meals still to insure kids get breakfast and lunch. Those that can walk to the school to pick up a sack meal can and they said some will be delivered. Interesting to see how this all plays out.

They are doing that here also.  

These are strange days for sure.  It will be interesting to see what long term changes and unintended consequences come of all of this. 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

How are your grocery stores looking over there?  Unbelievable the toilet paper hoarding going on here (I don't get it at all).  Aside from that they are very busy as well and shelves are starting to look a little bare.  Not Contagion (the movie) level bare but the worst I've seen it.

7 minutes ago, frogger said:

How are your grocery stores looking over there?  Unbelievable the toilet paper hoarding going on here (I don't get it at all).  Aside from that they are very busy as well and shelves are starting to look a little bare.  Not Contagion (the movie) level bare but the worst I've seen it.

Governor just shut down all schools state wide for the next 6 weeks. Kids will be going to school during the summer. Schools will be creating meals to insure kids get breakfast and lunch. Meals will be sack lunches to pick up and go.

I also do not get it, but Costco's here are out of TP, Paper Towels, disinfectant wipes, bleach, rubbing alcohol, sanitizer wipes and gels, all types of rice, (yes big asian population) still.

Last week, when it started, I was shocked to see the Costco freezers empty out as people bought everything. Yet Costco has restocked, over head racks are getting a bit bare, but the gov is saying have 2 weeks of food and basic supplies on hand here if you end up with a positive test result so you isolate yourself for at least 14 days.

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Governor just shut down all schools state wide for the next 6 weeks. Kids will be going to school during the summer. Schools will be creating meals to insure kids get breakfast and lunch. Meals will be sack lunches to pick up and go.

I also do not get it, but Costco's here are out of TP, Paper Towels, disinfectant wipes, bleach, rubbing alcohol, sanitizer wipes and gels, all types of rice, (yes big asian population) still.

Last week, when it started, I was shocked to see the Costco freezers empty out as people bought everything. Yet Costco has restocked, over head racks are getting a bit bare, but the gov is saying have 2 weeks of food and basic supplies on hand here if you end up with a positive test result so you isolate yourself for at least 14 days.

Not much better here: both Sam's and Costco have no TP or paper towels.  Wal-Mart had some but it is limited.  NO rubbing alcohol at all though.  Disinfecting wipes are hard to find too.  Same with gels to a lesser degree.

• Thanks 1

Recent update from the state Goverment.

• 37 Dead in Washington
  • 568 quarinteened positive patients
  • 4,000 plus awaiting results
  • 6,001 have tested negative.

Gov. Inslee has anounced all schools public and private are to stay closed through the end of April to help in reducing the spread of Covid19.

Washington State has the most Confirmed cases in the nation of Coronavirus.

Boeing Everett plant, largest airplane assembly plant in the world has confirmed 5 assembly line employees have tested positive for Covid19. Plant is being cleaned, all those involved are being taken care of by Boeing Health services.

All electrive surgeries across the state are suspended to free up medical supplies to deal with covid19.

Space Needle is closed through March 31st. 

Public libraries and museums are closed till end of April. Private museums are closed till March 31st, decision will be made at the end of the month on if they need to stay closed longer.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

AA249AEC-B4A1-4E62-B9C5-0B3AC0CF6AE4.jpeg

Could you even buy the missing quarter panels? 

I can see this as a parts auto for someone that has an existing 56 Eldorado, but this seems past recovery.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Could you even buy the missing quarter panels? 

??? The quarter panels are mostly intact.  Did you mean "fenders"?

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ No; no A/C - would have air scoops on the rear quarters.

Yeah, I was bamboozled by that giant air tube at the cowl

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

??? The quarter panels are mostly intact.  Did you mean "fenders"?

Yeah, I was bamboozled by that giant air tube at the cowl

Yes Fenders, to me front quarter panels. glad to know you can get the parts to restore it if you wanted to. I agree with @balthazar, the bigger question is it financially worth it. Would have to be a true labor of love.

I was also wondering by those giant air tube if that was factory or 3rd party AC. Thank you for asking.

dfelt, dear, quarter panels are the welded on rear side panels on a car.  Fenders are the bolted on, front side panels on a car.  You're welcome!

90298735_4161463610545957_4441409325558136832_n.jpg

Well I guess it's a fresh air tube to the heater.

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

front quarter panels.

LOLwut?

37 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ You mean the front fenders? Sure- you can find them.
It certainly doesn't look to far gone to restore, the question is; is it financially prudent to do so?

For someone creative, it could be the basis of an interesting resto mod.  Mount the body shell on an Escalade chassis, keep the Escalade drivetrain and front clip...

• Like 1

The word you were searching for was 'repulsive', not 'interesting'.

'50s Eldorados are automotive royalty.

glad to know you can get the parts to restore it if you wanted to.

Not sure why you'd think otherwise of ANY post-war production automobile.

35 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Fenders are the bolted on, front side panels on a car.

Technically, it's a 'forward quarter splash guard'. 😜

Edited by balthazar

Ug, Dealers are showing big declines, expecting negative Q2 sales and now they say the ability to sell 16.6 million new auto's in 2020 will not happen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-autos-usa/drumbeat-of-bad-coronavirus-news-starts-to-hit-u-s-auto-dealers-idUSKBN2103HI

Starting Monday, GM and Ford will have all White Collar jobs work from home for the immediate future with no end date in site as to when the employees would return to the office.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-autos-ford-motor/gm-ford-to-have-white-collar-employees-work-remotely-starting-monday-idUSKBN2102DB

SUPER BRONCO built from welding an F250 with an Excursion. Awesome looking SUV. Have to say all the build pictures are awesome. So cool to see some still being able to custom build their dream auto.

https://jalopnik.com/man-builds-incredible-custom-super-bronco-by-welding-a-1842127571

image.png

image.png

This is a crazy way to build dangerous but cool looking wheels out of cheap steel rims.

https://jalopnik.com/cutting-cheap-steelies-into-fake-bbs-wheels-is-incredib-1842300899

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ You mean the front fenders? Sure- you can find them.
It certainly doesn't look to far gone to restore, the question is; is it financially prudent to do so?

Most of the time,  any car that needs restoration, a PROPER frame-up restoration repairing ALL rust and holes and doing the project right without any cutting of corners and all that is NEVER a financial prudent decision. 

BUT...

One should do it NOT for the money, but for the love of the automobile. 

• Agree 1

^ Of course that's not true ("never").
Plenty of collector cars out there that were restored to factory correct and were worth more than was put into them.

The 2 biggest ticket items are rot repair, and missing a LOT of extremely rare parts. So a mostly complete, western car with little rot is not much more expensive to restore than a commonplace one of the same era. But some of them are worth a LOT.
Think Chevelle 300 vs. Chevelle SS- along the same lines of resto costs, but enormous value for the right SS.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

True true.

And that Cadillac if restored properly will probably fetch more than what it costs.  But sometimes, there are sought after classics that dont fetch as much either,  so that is when the cost cutting measures happen.

Im thinking about maybe something along the lines of a 1966 Oldsmobile 442. Its a 442, but not the right one (not the 1970 W-30)  so that resembles your Chevelle 300 vs Chevelle SS example.  Or maybe a 1967 Ford Fairlane GT. Its a classic. Its a great looking vehicle. Its a muscle car. its the top top Fairlane. But the market no longer supports THAT muscle car. 

But yeah. We are saying the same thing...

My MAIN message is:

"One should do it NOT for the money, but for the love of the automobile"

•  
Edited by oldshurst442

There are those resto jobs that truly are a labor of love. I am thinking of auto's that have been in a family for generations and are not special enough to have a ton of value but they restore it as a connection to great grandpa X or Great Grandma Y. I have seen those projects and while the auto is amazing, one knows that the money spent on restoring it will never be recovered, just the memories and connection to the past for the family.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

•  

Not to be argumentative, but I'd still disagree with that.
Resto businesses certainly have done on-spec restos and promptly sold them- if there's the ability, the willingness, the money available, why not restore & flip a car for profit? I'd jump at the right project car if the comps showed a strong upside for profit after resto... and I'm pretty happy with my small stable. A C2 Corvette, for example (certainly minimal rot potential there); monster potential, but I'd have no interest in keeping it / falling in love with it.

Edited by balthazar

Why not flip a car for profit?

If done right, and the car will be safe for the guy that buys it...Im all for that!

The thing is, done ONLY for profit, in the good 'old capitalistic fashion, things are done cheap to maximize the bottom line. And THAT is no good. For the buyer, and the industry of restoring classic in general.  The regular guy that wants a nice classic and gets bamboozled for "x" reason will not be participating in another romp of buying another restored classic...and...restoring ONLY for profit also screws the industry as it inflates the "popular" classics to extreme levels of unaffordability for the majority of the car enthusiasts and is only bought buy "collectionneurs"    that just flip it again to the point of that car becoming undriveable because its too valuable and just becomes a garage queen until the next superstar fad classic becomes popular regulating the former classic worthless beause its time is up. In the meantime...the regular car guy just moves on to other interests...that may not be automotive in nature. 

I got to correct me opinion.

By NO means Im saying that profits shouldnt be made when restoring a car. Its a BUSINESS. As it should be.

But...like in the food industry or any other industry, money has to be made...but not at the expense of the customer in terms of safety.    And...like in the food industry...it has to be a labour of love.  

Why?

Well...cars...and food (in a restaurant)....is an art.  It has to be appreciated by the end user.  

Yes...even in a fast food joint

Image result for crappy hamburger

No labour of love there and a hamburger like that...gives MY profession a bad name.  

How many times do I hear anywhere that fast food is garbage???!!!

Well...a hamburger like that...who am I to argue???!!!

Same thing with the classic auto restoration business.   

Ill repeat my saying:

And if done right with lots of love...the money WILL be there!!! Because the QUALITY of the work and the BEAUTY of the automobile will shine through and the buyer will view his purchase like he sees...art. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

Of course, every possible scenario under the sun exists.
But IF one is trying to flip for profit, and therefore tackles a valuable auto, 'doing things cheap' cuts heavily into that profit. People who can afford the level of collectible that insures a healthy profit do not commonly purchase lightly / unknowingly.

Edited by balthazar

12 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Image result for crappy hamburger

Is that the Wendy's Baconator burger? Saddest one I have ever seen. Usually juicy, decent looking fast food that satisfies a protein desire.

Sad when even fast food employees cannot take any pride in their food making. :( 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Is that the Wendy's Baconator burger? Saddest one I have ever seen. Usually juicy, decent looking fast food that satisfies a protein desire.

Sad when even fast food employees cannot take any pride in their food making. :( 

I noticed it was a Wendy's burger too with the square patties :lol: I like the Spicy Chicken sandwich myself :D

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

True many young adults and teens are never shown how to take pride in any job, but if the manager of the place is properly mentored to have pride and they instill this in each of their workers then pride should show in the end result. Fast food work should never be a life career. Minimum wage was NEVER MEANT to be a Living wage. It was meant to give small profit margin businesses a way to hire young no experience folks and let them earn some coin while living at home with their parents and gain some work experience.

Sadly the death of chain businesses is due to poor leadership, mentoring and the lack of instilling pride in their employees in every job they do.

Pride should never be ignored in the work anyone ever does.

+1+1+1+1+1 Couldn't have said it better myself David!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Davy West Virginia, year unknown (circa 1940 & today) ~

DavyWV 1.png

DavyWV 2.png

2010 population: 420.

Estimated population in 2018: 351.

Median household income: $16K.

It is always a shock to learn of places that still have poverty average income. WOW😮

Thank you Balthazar for sharing this.

• Agree 1

While I await the full size EV SUVs, I love to learn about old auto's that we really have never seen here in the states.

Today it is the FORD CONSUL 1953 in outstanding shape for sale for $12,800 dollars.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/03/rare-rides-a-ford-consul-from-1954-little-beige-bathtub/

Seller site here: https://www.allsportscars.co.uk/vehicle/1953-ford-consul/

image.png