Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

LOL Portland, Oregon is not even remotely Southern.  The Statue's timing is not current.

What Portland, Oregon?

• Anger
  • Southern
  • and maybe you downvoted because, why?

I dont know why you downvoted Southern, but I took it upon myself to (not derail the word association thread) and post a Bugs Bunny/Yosemite Sam Looney Tune cartoon depicting an angry (Southern soldier) Yosemite Sam...

Im acutely aware of where Portland resides on the map...

Im deeply understanding (pun intended of the deep part) of where the South is and what Southern States make up the South. In fact, in the cartoon, the Mason-Dixon line is shown.  Not only do I know what that means and why it is, but I also know that you, buddy boy, live very close to the Mason-Dixon line to the south of you...  In fact, that beautiful river you posted a while ago crosses that line...

Im surprised you didnt get the connection...

You always do...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Most folks just want to sit up high with the other trucks/SUVs. Whether it be for ease of entry (like my parents/wife) or just to have that trendy ride....

I definitely fall into the ease of entry/exit category. I don't have bad knees or back or anything. It's just much easier to step horizontally rather than climb up of fall down.  

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

@ocnblu    Arrows Images - Imgur Downvote Png - Free Transparent PNG Clipart Images  Download

I say...I say 'ole boy, David wasnt that far off

Find & Share on GIPHY

I give you Anger & Southern, the only way I know. The Looney Tune way. 

Cartoons are so racist ;) surprised they have not been removed from the world. ;) 

Just now, David said:

Cartoons are so racist ;) surprised they have not been removed from the world. ;) 

Oh...That is coming Im afraid.  Give it time.  Statues and sports teams names first along with certain elements from TV shows and movies.  And 2nd in line ARE the old Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry cartoons.  Actually, those have already been modified since the 1980s.  Speedy Gonzales and his Mexican friends  and Tom's (Tom and Jerry) mother...a husky black woman, have already been eliminated from TV.    

Also...in the 1980s, all the Wile E. Coyote dust puffs from him falling and landing have been cut...  

This PC thing is not from yesterday.  Its been with us since the start of the 1980s.  It has been snowballing ever since...but it has been there since the Reagan administration.  (Not saying his Presidency had anything to do with it, but saying it has been there since 5 Presidents ago...)   

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Oh...That is coming Im afraid.  Give it time.  Statues and sports teams names first along with certain elements from TV shows and movies.  And 2nd in line ARE the old Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry cartoons.  Actually, those have already been modified since the 1980s.  Speedy Gonzales and his Mexican friends  and Tom's (Tom and Jerry) mother...a husky black woman, have already been eliminated from TV.    

Also...in the 1980s, all the Wile E. Coyote dust puffs from him falling and landing have been cut...  

This PC thing is not from yesterday.  Its been with us since the start of the 1980s.  It has been snowballing ever since...but it has been there since the Reagan administration.  (Not saying his Presidency had anything to do with it, but saying it has been there since 5 Presidents ago...)   

Yes so very true, will be interesting to see how things continue to change.

Wife and I started watching the Netflix series Cursed: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8210856/

I have to say it is very enjoyable about before King Arthur and his court. Yet they have also clearly changed it from the all white way with black slaves of the past stories to one that is multi-cultural. Love the woman lead Nimue who has the sword called dragons tooth that is what become Xcaliber. 

I never once thought any negativity towards black mommas.  Every time I saw an Aunt Jemima pancake mix on the grocery store shelf when I went shopping with my mom and dad, I always thought:  mmmmmm...pancakes.  Maple syrup. I want breakfast with eggs and bacon and pancakes...RIGHT NOW!!!   

I dont know IF there were ANY racism towards that logo and Aunt Jemima, but as I boy lovin' Aunt Jemima pancake mix pancakes with either real Quebec maple syrup, OR Aunt Jemima syrup (not real maple syrup, but sugary maple flavoured deliciousness nonetheless), I never equated any hatred towards black folk.  Au contraire.  I had a FONDNESS for Southern Black women...   Call me naive...

Now...the Washington Redskins is another story, Same with Edmonton Eskimos and Chicago Blackhawks and Cleveland Indians'  Chief Wahoo.

Chief Wahoo looks like a caricature of a Native American Indian chief.  THAT may be offensive to Native Americans.  

The Blackhawks and the Redskins' Native American Indian depiction, looks to me as a dignified portrait of a FEARSOME Native American warrior.  To me...that would be respectful. To a Native American Indian...maybe not...

The name of Redskin, might not be the most wonderful of names REGARDING Native Americans.  THAT could be offensive. I wouldnt know as I am NOT a Native American. 

Blackhawk to me, would be something similar like how an ancient Greek might be a Trojan or a Spartan. Again, I wouldnt know how offensive that may be to a Native American.

Eskimo is a KNOWN fact that it IS offensive to the Northern dwellers of North America.  In Canada, we have stopped calling them that since the late 1970s.  Inuit is what they prefer.  With the Edmonton CFL team, I do NOT understand why they dont change their name.  

All this may sound foolish to us whiteys, but we are NOT the ones to have faced racism and bias and genocide from white people.  They have.  WE are the white people.  

I say that, because I, as a Greek, have BITTER feelings with the Ottoman Empire.  Those of who who do NOT know what that means, I suggest you google...and even if the history is rewritten in the source that you chose to read, you will STILL get the jist of what I am saying.  I would NOT want a Turkish soccer team to  have a crappy caricature of a Spartan soldier as a logo and them calling themselves the Fighting Greeks or something like that.  Id find that VERY insulting...  

On the other hand,  American collegial/high school sports teams that have Trojans or Spartans as their name..I dont find offensive.  All in context and who is who...  Plays a MAJOR part in this...  

I know that THIS generation of white people have NOTHING to do with the past, the past does NOT simply go away just because some of us want it to...  We learn from the past, yes, but sometimes some of us dont want to be reminded of it constantly also...

To which is why, Turkey...went a little more hardcore last week, in saying that Agia Sofia was to become a Mosque again....nothing to do with sports, but EVERYTHING to do with racial, ethnic, religious, political control and power.  And yes...sports DO cross that line...  ALL the time.

The Olympics...after all, the Ancient ones at least, forced all peoples that competed in them to cease and desist any aggression and wars between themselves and just focus on the spirit of competition.  But Im sure regional pride still played a major role in the competitions...

I have to say, when I see gun loving, 1st amendment , freedom fightin' folk use this as their freedom cry...

Molon Labe  ie, Come and get them...

I GET SO PHOQUING ANGRY!!!

Cultural appropriation and misdirection comes to my mind.  Start your own motto and get your own history and STOP phoquing up mine is what I think!

So I get and understand the sports teams changing names in 2020.  I could even say and admit...I agree with it. 

Edited by oldshurst442

There are many things.    My local high school in Ohio used to call their sports teams the Rebels and used the Confederate Flag as their logo..couldn't do that shit today...but it does give pause, why would a school in Ohio (Midwest) use the Southern traitor flag logo? Probably because the school district was Indian Valley South (there was also an Indian Valley North, and they combined in 1989).  They did that from '67-88 IIRC.

My S. Florida high school, on the other hand, had the inoffensive 'Dolphins' team name w/ a yellow dolphin against a blue background.  Coincidentally, both my college (Kent State) and grad school (U. of Michigan) have yellow on blue logos...

Edited by Robert Hall

Biggest racist government paperwork is our every 4 year census. Until they stop asking about race, skin color, etc. which really has no purpose in directing how much tax dollars go to each district to support students, etc. we will have racism. 

I agree that it would be a nice dream to live and let live, sadly there are those that can never seem to understand that due to one skin, orientation, etc.

Like auto's, there are those I will never own, some that are nice, but again will never buy myself and then the personal difference of a truck that one might love and I would dislike. 

Until we can accept each other regardless of age, sex, race, skin color, etc. and just see a person who we can have a discussion with and agree to disagree with, we will never achieve the equality. So much more that could be said, but on the fringe of political and as such, will say, I enjoy discussing auto's even when some choose to not like my choices.

EV eventually baby! :D 

I just just realized...what could be a very very hypocritical point of view Im holding regarding sports teams names and logos that feature heads of Native American warriors.

Pontiac Motor Division was named after a famous Indian Chief who also lends his name to the place of where the Motor Division built its cars.  Pontiac Michigan.

It may be a badge of honour to have a car maker name a brand after a Chief and depict him as the logo of said brand.

Maybe because GM's naming of Pontiac Motor Division and this logo  and all other variations of:

Pontiac Indian Head Pictures to Pin on Pinterest - ThePinsta | Pontiac  indian, Pontiac logo, Pontiac

was truly done with respect. I dunno what the answer is anymore.   Reality is indeed complex. 

• Agree 1

Interesting to learn that Ford had a Mini Ute down under that ran a long life unlike here in the US.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/07/rare-rides-a-1995-ford-falcon-xr6-ute-trucking-with-tickford/

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, the El Camino and Ranchero car-based truck idea first appeared as utes in Australia decades before the US had such vehicles....first ones were in the 30s I think.  Seen pics of neat looking '49 Ford and '49 Chevy Utes from OZ..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

google sez Ford started the ute in Australia in '32.
Of course- these car-based vehicles were their only 'trucks', whereas Ford started with trucks in the U.S. with his first auto company in 1899.

Were the Australian utes unibody or body on frame?  Unibodies only came out around 1940 or so.

16 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Were the Australian utes unibody or body on frame?  Unibodies only came out around 1940 or so.

The old stuff was body on frame, not sure about the modern ones.   The Holden one-tonners (no bed) like this would probably be BOF, though it has a car front clip..

Holden-One-Tonne-3251.jpg

But these---a Commmodore based ute and a Falcon based ute, are probably unibody..

articleLeadwide-2015-holden-commodore-ute-ss-v-redlinegm945v.jpg

BB10XYj1.img.jpeg

Found a pic of a 2003 one-tonner.

Holden-VZ-one-tonner-S-2004-3.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

The tonnage classification system used to be pretty whacked, not sure how it came about.
My '40 is a 1.5-ton, with it's doubled frame it's 2-ton. But it was registered when new at just under 8 tons loaded (15,955 lbs, with the base cab/chassis weighing 3985 lbs). See what I mean- wildly off.

I have no info on when/how trucks were so graded in AU, but the above sure doesn't look beefier than a half-ton (modern). It's an El Camino w/ a flatbed.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The tonnage classification system used to be pretty whacked, not sure how it came about.
My '40 is a 1.5-ton, with it's doubled frame it's 2-ton. But it was registered when new at just under 8 tons loaded (15,955 lbs, with the base cab/chassis weighing 3985 lbs). See what I mean- wildly off.

I have no info on when/how trucks were so graded in AU, but the above sure doesn't look beefier than a half-ton (modern). It's an El Camino w/ a flatbed.

That's an Australian ton which is 1000kg (2204 lbs).

According to the specs, the 2005 Holden One Tonner had a payload capacity of 1283 kg (2828 lbs) w/ the V8 and auto.   The Utes and Crewmans had a lighter payload rating, like 6-700 kg.

Holden also offered a 4dr Ute in the mid 00s---here's a 2005 Crewman...

E7Q05A.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

From CarsGuide:
"Has huge payload - 1300 kg, bit wonder if its capable of actually coping with this much".
235kW 5.7L, 3400 lbs, 215 tires.
Here's the One-Tonner's rear springs:

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 10.53.52 AM.png

Note there's only 3 leaves, and the overrider pack (the straight leaves) are thicker than the mains. Theses aren't even equal to the spring pack on my 3/4-ton 2500HD.

This vehicle is seriously over-rated as to capacity.

Edited by balthazar

Who knows...different country, different things.

This is where I got the numbers for the 2005 models.

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/Holden_Ute-Crewman-OneTonner_VZ_Specifications_200505.pdf

After the Commodore went away (2017?), they did offer a Colorado one-tonner for a couple years, which is definitely a truck.

20740339443.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall

Do you read the top 5 baby names list released each year?

No more Johns, Roberts, and Marks in the top 5.  Mostly Joshuas and Noahs.  Only one name has remained popular then and now:  Michael.

That said, does anyone with the last name Hunt dare name their new baby boy Michael?  My 2 cents:  Don't do it.  Just say no.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, but OZ is down under, so gravity is reversed... j/k

Just like reverse swirl on the toilets' then. :P 

This makes me wonder about the 1 ton Toyota mini pickups in the 80's if they really could handle the weight.

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

No more Johns, Roberts, and Marks in the top 5.  Mostly Joshuas and Noahs.  Only one name has remained popular then and now:  Michael.

That said, does anyone with the last name Hunt dare name their new baby boy Michael?  My 2 cents:  Don't do it.  Just say no.

Kind like being named David Felt. I felt you..... :P
So many felt jokes growing up.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, David said:

This makes me wonder about the 1 ton Toyota mini pickups in the 80's if they really could handle the weight.

Kind like being named David Felt. I felt you..... :P
So many felt jokes growing up.

Meaning that, at this point in time, Bill Clinton "felt" your pain ...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, David said:

I always wondered about those little mini motorhomes on Toyota pickup chassis...and mini Haul trucks as well..

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

There are a lot of odd names I've seen for children in recent years...Jaden, Krylon, Caden, Kyler, Nason, etc..not sure where people get them.. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

Ziply Fiber is upgrading Washington state to be Gigabit plus internet service. I just got my new ONT, UPS and Router installed. They said by the end of next month I should be able to get a solid 1000/1000 upload and download, but for now, I have near Gig download and upload is ok for now.

Went from $127 a month to $60 a month for Giga speed. Nice!!!

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, David said:

Ziply Fiber is upgrading Washington state to be Gigabit plus internet service. I just got my new ONT, UPS and Router installed. They said by the end of next month I should be able to get a solid 1000/1000 upload and download, but for now, I have near Gig download and upload is ok for now.

Went from $127 a month to $60 a month for Giga speed. Nice!!!

Good deal...I'm paying $131/mo for Cox Gigablast...the download varies, usually in the 500-650 mb range predictably.  I don't care about upload speeds.

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Good deal...I'm paying $131/mo for Cox Gigablast...the download varies, usually in the 500-650 mb range predictably.  I don't care about upload speeds.

Building virtual training vApps for our products, I usually upload to my vSphere setup images that run between 500GB to 1 TB in size, so upload I use as heavily as download. I know I am an exception to what most people do. I know the wife already notices a difference in watching her shows on netflix, VUDU, Hulu, YouTubeTV. Have to say that it is much cheaper having these streaming services with internet than using the Fios TV I used to have on FIOS Internet. Was usualy betwen $200 to 300 a month. So happy to be down to about $150 a month for everything.

Ziply is who bought out the PNW Frontier FIOS business and is investing heavy to take it to the bleeding edge. Liking what I see so far.

Just now, David said:

Building virtual training vApps for our products, I usually upload to my vSphere setup images that run between 500GB to 1 TB in size, so upload I use as heavily as download. 

That makes sense for your use case.  Since I RDP into my work VM and servers, I never have to upload work product from my home Mac..   

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That makes sense for your use case.  Since I RDP into my work VM and servers, I never have to upload work product from my home Mac..   

I can totally understand that. I used to do that also, but then found slow response from our Durham Datacenter to my needs and my boss asked me if I could change anything what would I change.

I said, 2 30" 4K monitors, docking station and a workstation class laptop with 64GB ram and SSD drives. I got it more or less. My laptop is a Dell Precision 5540 with 32GB ram, 4TB NvME HD, Touchscreen with pen, windows 10 64bit, enhanced docking station a USB C charging ports and wireless pad, natural keyboard and wireless mouse. Now I am set to never leave my house for work again. :P I also got to take my expensive custom office chair and standing desk from our Seattle office. :D 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

There are a lot of odd names I've seen for children in recent years...Jaden, Krylon, Caden, Klyer, Nason, etc..not sure where people get them.. 

Yes, I see two trends going on.  For girls, they are giving them what are what I call "grandma with a cameo in a black and white photo" names, like Abigail, Ava, and such.  Then, twenty years ago or so, it seems every baby girl was Ashley or Nicole.  For boys, they are giving them names that, much like what you say, could also just as easily be last names. 

38 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

NEW DATSUN CROSSOVER UTILITY ~ (no straying from formula allowed!)

Creativity in automotive design these days seem to focus mostly on what you can do with the headlamps/fog lights (stretch, push, pull, thin out) and goofy ledges and volumes in grilles.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

NEW DATSUN CROSSOVER UTILITY ~ (no straying from formula allowed!)

Why would Nissan stray from a formula that has worked for them for the last 15 years or more?  The Rogue is the carmaker's best seller.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it (or fiddle with it).  The improvements to the Rogue are welcome, while Nissan allows the Altima and especially the Maxima rot on the vine because of poor sales compared to CUVs.

Besides, Datsun has not been sold here in the USA since 1983.

Loving the new 2020 Ram Heavy Duty Black edition truck.

Black Chrome really sets this right!

image.png

image.png

This looks so far classier than the current butt ugly Chevrolet trucks.

• Agree 1

Here is another Awesome looking Truck that kicks ass, The GMC Goliath.

image.png

HENNESSEY LAUNCHES GOLIATH 700 HP SUPERCHARGED INTO PRODUCTION

2020 GMC Sierra & Chevrolet Silverado 6.2L V8-Powered Pick-up Trucks Undergo the Full Hennessey Treatment

GOLIATH 700 SUPERCHARGED Specifications

POWER:

• 700 bhp @ 6,300 rpm

PERFORMANCE:

• 0-60 mph: 4.3 sec.

INCLUDES:

• 2.9 Liter Supercharger System
• High-Flow Intercooling System
• High-Flow Air Induction System
• Custom HPE Camshaft
• Chromemoly Hardened Pushrods
• Crankcase Ventilation System
• HPE Engine Management Calibration
• All Necessary Gaskets, Fluids & Hardware
• Professional Installation
• Chassis Dyno Testing
• Road Testing – Up To 200 Miles
• Serial-Numbered Dash Plaque
• Serial-Numbered Engine Plaque
• Shell V-Power 93 Octane Gasoline
• Shell Rotella RGT Synthetic Oil
• Hennessey Embroidered Headrests
• Hennessey Exterior Badging
• GOLIATH 700 Exterior Badging
• Supercharged Badging
• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

Optional Upgrades Available:

GOLIATH OFF-ROAD STAGE 1 PACKAGE

• GOLIATH Front Bumper
• 5 LED Lights in Front Bumper
• 20 inch Hennessey 10-Spoke Wheels
• 35 inch Toyo Off-Road Tires
• 6” Lift Kit (*depends on trim level)
• Hennessey & GOLIATH Exterior Graphics
• Professional Installation
• 3 year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

ADDITIONAL UPGRADES

• GOLIATH Diamond Stitched Interior
• GOLIATH Ram Air Hood
• Stainless Steel Cat-back Exhaust System
• Retractable Electronic Bed Cover
• Upgraded Electronic Fold Out Steps

http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehicles/gmc/sierra/hennessey-goliath/700-hp-upgrade-cpc/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoPC92oDi6gIVTcPACh2blgrUEAEYASAAEgI2__D_BwE#utm_source=google&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=goliath_700_display_ad&utm_term=ad_1?utm_medium=ppc&utm_source=adwords&utm_campaign=GOLIATH+700+Display+Ads&utm_term=&hsa_mt=&hsa_src=d&hsa_grp=109721616228&hsa_cam=10071900652&hsa_ver=3&hsa_acc=3873558040&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_tgt=aud-667747477425&hsa_ad=435547501590&hsa_kw=

Dodged Dubbed Most Appealing brand in America Surpassing GM and Ford.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/07/dodge-dubbed-most-appealing-mainstream-brand-by-j-d-power/

Base pricing is now available for the 2021 Ford F-150 and Hybrid.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/07/pricing-for-base-2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-revealed/

$30,635 is the new starting price for a base stripped down Ford F-150. Regular Cab 4x2 with base 3.3 liter V6

Add $4,495 dollars if you want a Hybrid package added.

31 minutes ago, David said:

Dodged Dubbed Most Appealing brand in America Surpassing GM and Ford.

Article is typical journalistic garbage. [Don't know what I was expecting; it's 'thetruthabout cars' after all].

Apparently, Dodge owners aren’t quite as happy with their purchase as

those who went to a Porsche dealership. Hardly surprising. Yet we were fairly gobsmacked to see the same was true for both Lincoln and Cadillac. 

Premium brands are supposed to offer a superior experience and Ford Motor Company has certainly stepped up its game in that respect. Cadillac? Meh.

Porsche & Cadillac were separated by SEVEN POINTS. out of 881.  That's a difference of 0.008%.
What's the margin of error again?

The Truth About Cars? Meh.

Unfortunately, too many people will read that, sans critical thinking, and think 'yuc-yuc, look at poor, crappy Cadillac! Can't compete with luxury brands, nope-nope!'

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

^^^

I agree with you 100 and 1 percent.   

And there were 2 comments made to that article.  And at least there are 2 others that agree with us.

The comment that was made of hat article to which the second guy agreed to.

SCE to AUX
July 22nd, 2020 at 4:59 pm

So the scores ranged from 896/881 to 822, and we’re to draw conclusions from that?

Sounds more like Olympic gymnastics scoring, in which a 9.8 gets you a gold, but a 9.4 sends you home to be tortured by your country’s dictator.

• Haha 1