Random Thoughts Thread

Nowadays, there's so much uniformity that you don't see quirkiness in ordered cars, either by the dealer or the buyer.  It was huge in the '70s, with too many combos to mention.

Here's a photo I found:

'76 Cutlass Supreme (because I can't get over how cool it was to sit behind this dash), crank windows, too cheap to spend the $30 to get the beige colored seat belts, no air conditioning (vaned vents for the passenger without the adjustable feature), but it had a gauge package (because the fasten seat belt warning sits in that little pop-up above the dash).

1973241044_76CutlasswithnoAC.thumb.jpg.6d6bddf7090c12cf24fa024e442fc1c3.jpg

I'm always curious as to which part of the country, or Canada, the quirky orders were destined for.

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Hard not to like Subaru....

I enjoyed driving the Outback we took to Disney World last year. They have their quirks, but still a nice day to day car.....

So small, hard for anyone over the average 5'8" tall to get into. Subaru is built for tiny people. Good cars, but built for tiny people.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, David said:

Subaru ... Good cars, but built for tiny people.

And way, way left of center progressives who belong to the Sierra Club and read The Atlantic.  (Couldn't resist.)

• Haha 1

Based on reading this, I believe the Mazda Diesel will never happen in the use now that the CX5 Diesel had one year of sales and was killed. While as the story says they have it as a future model on the web site, I doubt the Diesel 6 will ever come to America. Diesel is dead as a need for cars, trucks or CUV/SUV auto sales out side of traditional full size truck sales for trailer pulling.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-mazda-6-diesel-details-update/

16 minutes ago, David said:

Based on reading this, I believe the Mazda Diesel will never happen in the use now that the CX5 Diesel had one year of sales and was killed. While as the story says they have it as a future model on the web site, I doubt the Diesel 6 will ever come to America. Diesel is dead as a need for cars, trucks or CUV/SUV auto sales out side of traditional full size truck sales for trailer pulling.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-mazda-6-diesel-details-update/

It's a shame the diesel CX5 ended up with terrible fuel economy ratings and was a flop. That thing should have had a 40mpg highway rating. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

It's a shame the diesel CX5 ended up with terrible fuel economy ratings and was a flop. That thing should have had a 40mpg highway rating. 

Agree, but I honestly do not believe the SkyActive Technology is truly class leading in regards to emissions and fuel economy. I think they figured people would buy the diesel giving up fuel economy for a smidgen cleaner emission, but neither really delivered to market.
Mazda had so many recalls in Europe, reviews there pretty much blast it, so I was honestly surprised when it came to the US. 

To me the engine is a failure.

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

That "1" is like super bright, like "LOOK AT MEEEE!"

I noticed that, too, and think they did it on purpose so a person looking to buy a car or a service writer won't overlook it.  It will probably be the same with the initial 2##,### and so on.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Correct : Chevrolet.
Correct again ; it's a Malibu 2500HD Duramax. ;)

I looked at your "garage" after the fact and saw that there's a Chevrolet truck.  That didn't stick the way your once mentioning a Malibu to take on a road trip did.  Actually, those graphics are early 2000s.  Later ones are a little niftier, with blue illumination like you see on the Impy and the Monte.  Liked the dash on the outgoing Chevy W-bodies as long as it had gauges.

Love this write up on some 1990's metal that people should buy. One of my favorites is on the list. GMC Yukon GT 2-Door. AWESOME SUV! Disagree with the rest of the junk on the list, but the 2-Door GT Yukon / Tahoe were AWESOME!

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/g33415569/5-more-cars-of-the-1990s-you-should-be-buying-right-now/

I wish people would give up on eating Warren Buffett.  He is not edible.  (The misspelling has gotten irritating.)  However, here are photos from a Friday lunch buffet that can knock someone out for the rest of the day.

Salad plate (cranberry juice as the drink)

KIMG9423.thumb.JPG.20fa94165d065050f46ca6dfd9a90c35.JPG

Italian plate (tortellini, penne alla vodka, chicken marsala, and greens)

KIMG9429.thumb.JPG.f08e8dfb1413d0eeda5bea8705c182ed.JPG

American plate (pot roast, corn, mashed potatoes - could have done without the extra fusilli pasta salad)

KIMG9432.thumb.JPG.deffa55c3c33f05d0bfaeaa8655d0597.JPG

Dessert plate (small apricot and lemon tarts, chocolate/coconut macaron, 2 cookies, and sugar free strawberry mousse)

KIMG9449.thumb.JPG.3e7b8d80fd90389e5af81f874d77b669.JPG

The wallet is only $ 10 lighter!  Most of the stuff was good.  Even though this isn't the healthiest way to go, I'm guessing 100% of your RDA of protein was covered.  In reality, I limit myself to about one buffet a month.  I went here because I'm not sure if the "classier" Brazilian rodizios are functioning normally these days.

On this day in 1956, the SS "Andrea Doria," practically having completed her westbound transatlantic crossing from Italy, was t-boned by the SS "Stockholm" about 8 hours before she would have been mooring at her Hudson River pier in New York City.

^ My association with the Andrea Doria is always the loss of the '56 Chrysler Norseman concept car. It was on it's way from the Ghia shop to go on display across the U.S..

A diver in 1994 saw what was left, reporting it was in 'very very poor condition. Most of the car is rust, corrosion and a heap of indistinguishable junk. The tires are still there and assisted in it's identification.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 5.02.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 5.01.07 PM.png

• Agree 3

According to this story, Honda and Toyota have decided to abandon the sub compact auto market in North America. Honda is killing off the Fit and Toyota Killed the Yaris.

For Honda this means their lowest starting price auto which was the Fit at $17,145 now becomes the Civic Coupe LX starting at $22,705. For Toyota, the Yaris was their lowest priced starting auto and now that moves up to the Corolla.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128923_honda-fit-toyota-yaris-fuel-efficient-small-car

Wanting a Sub Compact, these are all that are left on the market, Chevrolet Spark, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Nissan Versa and Mitsubishi Mirage for the 2021 Model year.

This makes one wonder how long before these auto's will be killed off as Compact becomes the new entry point for auto ownership.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

According to this story, Honda and Toyota have decided to abandon the sub compact auto market in North America. Honda is killing off the Fit and Toyota Killed the Yaris.

For Honda this means their lowest starting price auto which was the Fit at $17,145 now becomes the Civic Coupe LX starting at $22,705. For Toyota, the Yaris was their lowest priced starting auto and now that moves up to the Corolla.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128923_honda-fit-toyota-yaris-fuel-efficient-small-car

Wanting a Sub Compact, these are all that are left on the market, Chevrolet Spark, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Nissan Versa and Mitsubishi Mirage for the 2021 Model year.

This makes one wonder how long before these auto's will be killed off as Compact becomes the new entry point for auto ownership.

To answer that question, within a few years or less. The Nissan Versa and Sentra saw their last update. Ditto for the  Hyundai and Kia (confirmed through a friend who works there) and the Spark will be done shortly .

The Mirage will live....but it is one of the few things they sell around the world. Most sedans will be replaced by EVs, or by becoming “Subaru” like aka Fusion “sport wagon”......

We are going to see a major landscape change soon....pushed even faster/more because of Covid 19....

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, trinacriabob said:

Do you read the top 5 baby names list released each year?

No more Johns, Roberts, and Marks in the top 5.  Mostly Joshuas and Noahs.  Only one name has remained popular then and now:  Michael.

That said, does anyone with the last name Hunt dare name their new baby boy Michael?  My 2 cents:  Don't do it.  Just say no.

Kay Hunt. Used to work with a guy who named his daughter that. No Joke! Poor girl.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:25 PM, daves87rs said:

Hard not to like Subaru....

I enjoyed driving the Outback we took to Disney World last year. They have their quirks, but still a nice day to day car.....

Lezbaru :D

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ My association with the Andrea Doria is always the loss of the '56 Chrysler Norseman concept car. It was on it's way from the Ghia shop to go on display across the U.S..

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 5.02.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 5.01.07 PM.png

@balthazar  My association with the Andrea Doria is that my parents knew people who came to the U.S. on successful and uneventful voyages, and one couple who was on the tragic crossing but obviously survived.  And I heard these people talk about their crossings in our living room.

The thing about the Andrea Doria is that America was glued to their TV sets watching this live, from the ship laying on its side to it slipping completely underwater the next morning.  Recounting the Titanic story was largely anecdotal (but factual) and via print and radio.

What the heck kind of a car is that ^ ?  I'm digging on that console, even though I can't tell what the different slots are.  Is it an integral armrest or a separate assembly that sits on the transmission tunnel?  Nice.

- - - - -

Yesterday marks another milestone.  I got my first haircut at a place you pay for that service.  (I had been sloppily cutting my own hair since March.)  There's a nearby cosmetology school that charges under $ 10.  Come back special:  5 BUCKS!  Instructors are always walking around checking what the students are doing.  This girl did a great job.  I gave her a nice cash tip.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'll go ahead and assume the noise from this was catastrophically loud.
Maybe if it was electric instead ....  😆

106047769_793440091188204_2926596412152695931_o.jpg

Did it ever actually get used in war time?

Wow, Talk about a major renovation. From blah old dog to new Hell Raiser Dog!

Start with one 1979 4WD International Scout II and drop in the 707HP Hellcat Hemi with 8 speed TorqueFlite Transmission and you have a HELLSCOUT!

From This:

image.png

To this:

image.png

Full details on this project can be read here:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1979-international-scout-hellcat-hemi-swap-fast-n-loud/

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Tesla wishes that they had a car that sold as well as that Prius!

The Model 3?

2nd generation Prius Sales: 1 200 000 in 6 years of service.  

500 000 units of the Model 3 have been delivered as of March 2020.  3 years of service so far.  Its at the very least...on pace with that 2nd gen Prius for sales...  

• Agree 1

Sad to learn that Regis Philbin died (at 88).  He was great on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"  He was from The Bronx and a Notre Dame grad, which he sometimes mentioned on TV.  He was named Regis after the prestigious Catholic high school in Manhattan that this dad went to.  On one show, he had some nuns who were part of the charity someone was playing for and, as the stakes were getting higher,  he said something like, 'work those rosary beads, sisters ...' He got a laugh out of that.

My mom would watch his morning show.  He apparently had good chemistry with Kathie Lee Gifford, with her trademark deep voice.  However, I don't thinking working with an obnoxious airhead like Kelly Ripa would be good for anyone's health.  I always assumed she was from SoCal.  However, Ripa is from New Jersey.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ Would you buy new or a couple years 'pre-owned'?

I think new.  I don't buy that frequently.  However, I wouldn't buy a brand new model and would wait until the model has been around for 2 or 3 years ... just like I did with my current and last car.  I want to make sure it gets broken in correctly, which is somewhat of an "old school" concept.

I know that I've also been advised on here to look at CPO.  I'll have to see.  As they say, it's the "second largest purchase."

• Agree 2