Random Thoughts Thread

This is what REAL LEADERSHIP looks like, So happy I work for Dell. I hope and wish for everyone here at Cheers and Gears to be safe and that you can have the same Multi-Cultural experience where ever you work. I realize that there are those of you that have to go into work to do your job and I hope that you continue to stay safe and healthy and do not have to deal with the Covid-19 infection.

Wishing all the Best in this time of thinning patient's and that you can find your Zen where ever you live!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Have to say this cracks me up, never thought you could get fined for flipping a camera the bird, but you can in Germany. Rather than the normal $20 Euro Fine, the young driver for speeding 7 kph over the posted speed ended up with a 1 month suspension of driving and a $1,500 fine for insulting the Authorities.

Go Figure it was a BMW driver in an X5. Guess they are arrogant everywhere not just here in the US.

https://www.motor1.com/news/437703/speeding-bmw-driver-middle-finger-fine/

I glanced across this story, wondering as usual why I should care.  'Multi-millionaire restored ho-hummingly common car / thinks it's amazingly special'.  First, here's the before/after. Nice job, obviously (tho CERTAINLY not a tough restoration, at ALL)

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.23.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.27.40 PM.png

Ya; it's Aquaman.  Then this caught my eye :

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.23.01 PM.png

I don't know why I think the idle rich can pay someone a few bucks to make themselves appear informed, but apparently that's wrong. They made like 560,000 '65 Mustangs, the word "rare" doesn't apply.

Then I found out where his thought came from :

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.28.33 PM.png

Apparently he thinks Ford built 1 each of the V8s, and 559,997 I-6s.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

See; you say "work on the patio" and I read 'work ON the patio'.

I need to move into semi-retirement ASAP.

My work is so boring these days.  But still able to bill for 40 hrs/week, thankful I don't have to commute to an office. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

51 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Felt like a fall morning when I got up today...55 outside at 7 am.   Sunny and 75 this afternoon, perfect weather to work on the patio.   Feels more like September than August.

IMG-4165.jpg

Did I mention that I love living in the midwest?

38 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I glanced across this story, wondering as usual why I should care.  'Multi-millionaire restored ho-hummingly common car / thinks it's amazingly special'.  First, here's the before/after. Nice job, obviously (tho CERTAINLY not a tough restoration, at ALL)

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.23.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.27.40 PM.png

Ya; it's Aquaman.  Then this caught my eye :

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.23.01 PM.png

I don't know why I think the idle rich can pay someone a few bucks to make themselves appear informed, but apparently that's wrong. They made like 560,000 '65 Mustangs, the word "rare" doesn't apply.

Then I found out where his thought came from :

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.28.33 PM.png

I miss my 66 Fastback. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Did I mention that I love living in the midwest?

I miss my 66 Fastback. 

I miss my '87 GT and my Dad's '69 Sportsroof..haven't see them in over 3 years.  I have the titles,, though. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, I'm only going out once a week at most, so not seeing any classics that may be out and about.. been a stay-at-home summer.    

Same here, hard to post any monthly auto finds when you go out once a week for essential shopping and once a week to my son's house for a family dinner. Otherwise my out and about is taking care of my large growing garden.

20200803_194448.jpg

@balthazar might like this old truck on Hoovie's garage... a forest service green longbed 2wd '03 Chevy Silverado...with a manual and 6.0 V8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGRf3iXimvg&t=29s

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

@balthazar might like this old truck on Hoovie's garage... a forest service green longbed 2wd '03 Chevy Silverado...with a manual and 6.0 V8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGRf3iXimvg&t=29s

That is the weirdest configuration for a FOREST SERVICE TRUCK. 

20 hours ago, David said:

That is the weirdest configuration for a FOREST SERVICE TRUCK. 

I saw a strange forest service truck here in the Cleveland suburbs a while back..it was that funky green w forest service decals on the doors...but it was a pre-97 Jeep XJ Cherokee...in very clean shape.  Sort of a WTF moment, though..in what time warp is the forest service driving 25-30 yr old vehicles? 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:27 AM, balthazar said:

IMG_2157.jpg

Great photo!  It's good fun to take random photos of random animals when they show up.  I was getting gas in Orlando FL on a humid night and a little green frog had made its home in one of the slots in the steel column holding up the canopy over the gas pump island.

@balthazar What are your thoughts on the 1953 Chrysler Special Ghia

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/rare-rides-the-1953-chrysler-special-by-ghia/

Interesting looking 2door car.

Interesting on FCA's production dates for 3 row Jeeps.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/production-dates-revealed-for-newest-biggest-jeeps/

4 hours ago, David said:

It's a lovely design, IMO. Chrysler built an extremely limited run of a few variants of these in the early '50s, most of which survive.

But the article makes a typical mistake in it's story:

Though Rare Rides has featured many examples of vehicles which wore

Chrysler badges and Ghia designs, there’s never been a single car which represented both. That changes today, with this very rare 1953 Chrysler Special.

It wasn't designed by Ghia at all, it was designed in Detroit by Exner. Like all the Chrysler-Ghia collaborations, Ghia only constructed it.

This is the sort of sloppy journalism typical of today, coupled hand-in-hand with self-bias against American industry. 'It's good looking, Ghia was involved, therefore Ghia certainly must've designed it..... NOT Chrysler.'
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, David said:

@balthazar What are your thoughts on the 1953 Chrysler Special Ghia

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/rare-rides-the-1953-chrysler-special-by-ghia/

Interesting looking 2door car.

Interesting on FCA's production dates for 3 row Jeeps.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/production-dates-revealed-for-newest-biggest-jeeps/

Scary part about those Jeeps is that I am hearing near 50K starting price. Sorry, that is way too much for me!

At least there are still basic trucks one can buy for under 30k.....

10 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Scary part about those Jeeps is that I am hearing near 50K starting price. Sorry, that is way too much for me!

At least there are still basic trucks one can buy for under 30k.....

I suspect the full size Ram-based 3 row models (Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer) will be in Tahoe/Suburban price range or higher, so definitely starting above $50k.

The 3 row Grand Cherokee-based midsize will probably be priced and trimmed like the GC with a broad range of trims at a range of price points.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Rental car rates seem to have gone way up.  Probably to cover sanitizing the vehicles, lost revenue, etc.  I am not even seeing weekly rates on most rental agencies' sites.  They seem to price by the day.  It used to be that 5 to 7 days were priced at the same rate, which helped out the 7 day folks.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Rental car rates seem to have gone way up.  Probably to cover sanitizing the vehicles, lost revenue, etc.  I am not even seeing weekly rates on most rental agencies' sites.  They seem to price by the day.  It used to be that 5 to 7 days were priced at the same rate, which helped out the 7 day folks.

Afraid to see what they are now. Our Rental Subie last year for like 10 days was like 300 bucks.......

• Agree 1

Cracking up laughing as one of the most well known designers from BMW and the father of who designed the X5 for them, has not much kindness for the new Nostrils on the new BMW sedan.

• Agree 1

Motor Trend posted a first drive / review of the Z71 Suburban. Have to say this is the first time the ugly front end does not look too bad. It actually would not be a bad looking EV SUV in this monochromatic look.

image.png

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/suburban/2021/2021-chevrolet-suburban-first-drive-review/

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Afraid to see what they are now. Our Rental Subie last year for like 10 days was like 300 bucks.......

That's a good price.  You mean you actually consented to driving a Subaru?

I recently was supposed to have an Hyundai Elantra or similar (mid-size) for 6 days and it was in the high $200s and I had to shop and shop for that.  But the silver lining in the cloud was a NICE upgrade.

I have found Costco to be good for renting cars.  However, I don't think you can get frequent flyer points.  (Or maybe you can if you give them the number at the rental counter.)

Anymore, you just have to shop and shop.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, David said:

Z71 Suburban. Have to say this is the first time the ugly front end does not look too bad. It actually would not be a bad looking EV SUV

You just love to stir the pot.  Another insane idea.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

37 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You just love to stir the pot.  Another insane idea.

Off-roading in an EV SUV is already proving to be superior to an ICE auto. Better crawl mode and decent control with electric motors.

The Monochromatic Z71 would be awesome with a large Frunk and better control plus nice and quiet.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, David said:

Off-roading in an EV SUV is already proving to be superior to an ICE auto. Better crawl mode and decent control with electric motors.

The Monochromatic Z71 would be awesome with a large Frunk and better control plus nice and quiet.

BS

• Disagree 3

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^

1.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/saint-andrews-white-shark-endangered-1.5672350

2.  Damned right!  Look how freakin' huge these things are!

I Never Realized How Huge These 30 Animals Are, Until I Saw Them Next To A  Person. #19… OMG. | Animals, Giant moose, Moose size

@oldshurst442

Two things:

1)  That's exactly what I was thinking.  If a great white shark can swim up to Maine (a very sad situation), there's nothing stopping it from swimming up to Nova Scotia (Halifax, etc.)

2) The could have been me in that photo except that my rented Alero was a coupe, burgundy, and on the Trans-Canada Highway in AB near the Continental Divide.  The moose was also a lot farther ahead of the car ... thankfully.  But who can forget that?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

If a great white shark can swim up to Maine (a very sad situation), there's nothing stopping it from swimming up to Nova Scotia (Halifax, etc.)

I know, right?

Its not as if there is some sort of magical border stopping the shark from entering Canadian waters.  There is no COVID situation in the oceans either where Maritime Province  cod, halibut and lobster all gang up on these Mexican and especially American Great Whites telling them to stay the *%#@ out of Canadian waters...

They roam as they damn well please...

PS:  I felt bad for that woman getting killed by a Great White a couple of days ago in Maine. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

That is an awesome-looking SUV. Love the bumperless look up front.

I actually prefer this look to the Escalade.  I have come full circle with Chevy truck front ends.  I just dont like the Chevy HD front end.  I dont think I ever will. But these are awesome!  

• Confused 1