Random Thoughts Thread

This is my tire machine. Yes, obviously, it’s manual. It’s actually a Coats, but it’s probably from 1950. A buddy gave it to me about 30 years ago.
Maybe once every 5 years I use it, quite the workout. Today I did 3 of the ones in the background, but the foreground rubberband tire wouldn’t work on this machine. Once my brother & I used it to mount 38” truck tires.
Anyway, good to have around. 

D9A0A921-D7FD-41A9-B04C-F4779B861E28.jpeg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 7/27/2020 at 6:36 PM, trinacriabob said:

I think new.  I don't buy that frequently.  However, I wouldn't buy a brand new model and would wait until the model has been around for 2 or 3 years ... just like I did with my current and last car.  I want to make sure it gets broken in correctly, which is somewhat of an "old school" concept.

I know that I've also been advised on here to look at CPO.  I'll have to see.  As they say, it's the "second largest purchase."

Yeah, I don't think I'd buy the first year of a new model or new generation.   Many vehicles historically have had improvements the 2nd model year to take care of shortcomings of the first year.   I'm probably going to be looking for what's next in about 4 years, when my current Jeep is at 10 yrs/100k miles.  Though I still haven't gotten to 50k miles yet.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Has it always had a fiberglass body?

@ocnblu

Fair question.  I don't see the "problem."  I know the Corvette has had a fiberglass exterior for some 5 decades.  Was it "born" that way, or was it first crafted in sheetmetal?  Yes, I know Google and Wiki are my friends.

3 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Reminds me I need to look for some tires for the old Cavalier . The current tires are creeping up on 7.5 years now....though the car is garaged, and the tires still look good.

Better safe than a blowout......

Maybe Firestone, Goodyear or Hankook will have an "End Of Summer Blowout Sale" on tires next month!

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

@ocnblu

Fair question.  I don't see the "problem."  I know the Corvette has had a fiberglass exterior for some 5 decades.  Was it "born" that way, or was it first crafted in sheetmetal?  Yes, I know Google and Wiki are my friends.

Well in production, from day one, it was fiberglass.  But whether it went from clay model or wooden buck to fiberglass directly as a prototype, est-ce votre question?

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

Where has all the *EXCITEMENT* gone out of the car hobby?  I mean OEMs are delaying intros (and except for the excellent Bronco, I see nothing on the horizon to get jazzed about), auto shows are CANCELLED, cruise nights are kaput... it's just a barren landscape out there.  Change my mind!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

auto shows are CANCELLED, cruise nights are kaput... it's just a barren landscape out there.  Change my mind!

okay.

California July 2020

Somewhere in England I believe.   July 2020

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

and except for the excellent Bronco, I see nothing on the horizon to get jazzed about)

Ummmm....the Corvette Z06 reveal 

Chevy Corvette Z06 spied and heard testing with exotic engine sound |  Autoblog

will be made sometime this year.    All we need is a little patience. And Guns and Roses?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:39 PM, balthazar said:

Basically I agree, but I expect a LOT more from ‘medical experts’ than we’ve gotten. We’re 6 months in, the ‘expert’ info is sketchy and sometimes self-cancelling, and all the future guesswork comes off as an average of ‘cover our ass in case it goes haywire’ and ‘we literally have no idea whatsoever but feel pressured to say SOMETHING’.

Quoted for truth. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Where has all the *EXCITEMENT* gone out of the car hobby?  I mean OEMs are delaying intros (and except for the excellent Bronco, I see nothing on the horizon to get jazzed about), auto shows are CANCELLED, cruise nights are kaput... it's just a barren landscape out there.  Change my mind!

...you wonder why I am not here much. Yeah, strangely in this surreal world, the Shelby Mustang and Bronco seem to be the only things really exciting me at the moment. 

Chris

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Reminds me I need to look for some tires for the old Cavalier . The current tires are creeping up on 7.5 years now....though the car is garaged, and the tires still look good.

Better safe than a blowout......

Given Michigan roads consider Tracked vehicle conversion, might be the only thing that will work. And you will be able to park anywhere, even if someone is already aprked there. 

Very exciting to see this as I know I am very happy to work for Dell Technologies. Great to have my company be listed in the top 100 companies to work for in the world.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90527870/best-workplaces-for-innovators-2020

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, David said:

Very exciting to see this as I know I am very happy to work for Dell Technologies. Great to have my company be listed in the top 100 companies to work for in the world.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90527870/best-workplaces-for-innovators-2020

Way cool... the huge bank I worked for 10 years ago was named the worst company in America at least once I think.

The small consulting firm I worked for in the mid 10s was ranked the best small company to work for in Arizona a couple of times..was a really good place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, RIP 747, you will be missed.

The interesting part is that the Dreamlifter which is a stretch 747 with the second level all the way to the back to fit the Dreamliner plane, 787 fuselage inside will continue to be made to support the production of the 787 that almost meets the cargo capacity of the 747. I honestly think they could build and sell the Dreamlifter plans to cargo companies.

• Agree 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:26 AM, balthazar said:

I'll go ahead and assume the noise from this was catastrophically loud.
Maybe if it was electric instead ....  😆

106047769_793440091188204_2926596412152695931_o.jpg

Insane! Like the MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs). This would be the MOAC (Mother Of All Cannons).🍻

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Without hesitation!

- - - - -

Articles like this make me sad, just like the elimination of Olds and Pontiac made me sad.  Olds and Pontiacs were selling like hot cakes when I was a kid.  And this was in import-crazed SoCal. 

Now this.  It appears to be official.  Boeing will be pulling the plug on 747 production in 2022.  This plane aged like a fine wine, with each variant getting better.  I've had the opportunity to fly on the 747-8i once and it's a feast for the senses.  Just like the last and possibly best  version of the 767, the 400-ER, for which Boeing did not get many orders, Boeing has not gotten many orders for the "8."  Most of the orders have been in freighter, not pax, form.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/after-a-historic-run-it-s-game-over-for-pioneering-boeing-747/ar-BB17kOay?ocid=msedgdhp

At phase out, the jumbo, or "queen of the skies," will have been flying for 52 or 53 years, depending on whether you count the test flight (1969) or introduction into commercial service (1970).  Whether in real life, in photos, or in videos, it's always been a beauty, and I'm certainly not in a minority of nerds who love this aircraft.  Many people the world over do.

Yep, a sad day for me also. 

Ford advertrs keep getting better and better. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, David said:

Yes, RIP 747, you will be missed.

The interesting part is that the Dreamlifter which is a stretch 747 with the second level all the way to the back to fit the Dreamliner plane, 787 fuselage inside will continue to be made to support the production of the 787 that almost meets the cargo capacity of the 747. I honestly think they could build and sell the Dreamlifter plans to cargo companies.

The DreamLIFTER has the same Beluga the whale look that the Airbus 380 has.  But, yes, it can carry a lot!  Perhaps too much.

I am looking at all the press about delays and whatnot that the Boeing 777-X is getting and that damn plane looks huge.  I've only flown on an earlier B-777 once and wasn't crazy about it.  I know they're workhorses.

I have flown on the 787 Dreamliner twice ... and very much look forward to flying on one again.

Still looking forward to flying on that rare B767-400 ER.  If I recall, only 36 of them were ordered by American carriers - Delta and United/Continental.  The best thing about the 767 is the 2-3-2 arrangement, which favors the passenger more than it does maximizing revenue.

• Agree 3

Hertz is still an ongoing bankruptcy issue and has to repay $650 million to debt holder while selling off 200,000 used auto's by Dec 31st 2020 per this story.

https://jalopnik.com/hertz-has-until-the-end-of-the-year-to-clear-out-almost-1844543558

Diesel is DEAD at BMW. They have stated they are killing it off.

https://www.motor1.com/news/436740/bwm-says-goodbye-quad-turbo/

Keeping the old Dinosaurs alive by dropping prices is what Toyota is doing for the Tundra 4Runner and Land Cruiser.

https://www.motor1.com/news/436635/toyota-off-road-model-pricing/

Interesting story that the F-150 SVT Lighting truck might come back in 2021.

https://www.motor1.com/news/436572/ford-f-150-svt-rendering/

Ford Brazil bought Willys Brazil in the late 60s.  In the early 80s they were building CJ-5s w/ the Ford 2.3 Lima 4cyl.  Built them through 1983.  I knew about the Willys Jeep wagon-based Ford Rural, but not this..learn something every day.   Note the tiny Ford blue oval emblem below the stamped Jeep badge on the body.

110005507_10158958178868982_6843258990377171202_o.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

Ford had the license to build them during WW2 I believe.  If I remember the story correctly, Willys, Ford and another company all drafted a military personnel carrier when the US government asked for a design prior to WW2.  Willys won the design, but later incorporated some of Ford's details when the government liked some of Ford's ideas, but Ford won the contract to build them as FoMoCo had the knowledge and capacity to mass produce them.  

Or something like that.  In essence, Jeep by Ford Brazil is more legit than Jeep by AMC or by Jeep Chrysler through the purchase of AMC by Chryco and so forth... 

This would be the ride across the pond to New York, parked at the gate at Frankfurt airport, Lufthansa's home base.  Kudos to Lufthansa for being the launch customer for the B 747-8i. 

WP_015135.thumb.jpg.627810bbd116483cbdc4308ca689971f.jpg 

I applaud people who were brave enough to take German in high school or college.  They just join words together to make mega-words with 20 letters in them.  And to think of all those poor immigrants from Southern Europe and the Middle East living in Germany who have to learn them.  For example, an "auditor" is a "wirtschaftsprufer" (with 2 dots over the u) in their lingo.

WP_015183.thumb.jpg.2a7d6fc04c4e43fc4828611aefd06437.jpg

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

20200731_080943.jpg

Amazing how many spiders are out this year around my house.

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

IMG_2157.jpg

What Long Legs you have said the Spider to the Hopper! 
:P 

Seems the incompetency of DC leadership is finally being checked. The IG of the EPA is starting an in-depth review of the process that the current administration took to relax emissions and MPG on the auto industry as it would seem it did not pass the required law for transparency as well as due process. As such, the changes at the EPA could all be rolled back to what they were before the changes were signed by Potus decree.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-07/documents/_epaoig_notificationmemo_7-27-20_fuel-efficient.pdf

• Disagree 1

On 7/31/2020 at 11:40 AM, balthazar said:

Sonic LTZ we have came from Hertz Sales - better price there than book / anywhere else. 

Probably a darned fine little car.

• Agree 1

On 7/31/2020 at 8:40 AM, balthazar said:

Sonic LTZ we have came from Hertz Sales - better price there than book / anywhere else. 

Seems there is a list now of the 25 best buys from the Hertz bankruptcy sale.

https://www3.forbes.com/lifestyle/these-are-the-best-blowout-deals-in-used-hertz-rental-cars-vue/