Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, that lime green is gross...like athletic wear or something.   I do like the cranberry red and black two tone option.

It looks terrible in the animated pictures. I'm curious what it looks like in person. It certainly wouldn't be towards the top of my list but at least they give you more than black, grey, and lighter grey as options. 

GLB 250 4MATIC SUV

THAT is as colourful as it gets...  

Small red trim on the door, yet the surrounding window and dash is still that awful black.  Its got an option for carbon fibre or brushed alu/nickel on the steering wheel and on the glove box, etc...  But its limited...

Im NOT blasting ONLY Mercedes.  But all manufacturers do NOT do  the colour pallette like how the 1950s were.  I think colour needs to come back to interiors in a BIG way.   

Mercury - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

GLB 250 4MATIC SUV

THAT is as colourful as it gets...  

Small red trim on the door, yet the surrounding window and dash is still that awful black.  I got an otion for carbon fibre or brushed alu/nickel on the steering wheel and on the glove box, etc...

Im NOT blasting ONLY Mercedes,  But all manufacturers do NOT do  the colour pallette like how the 1950s were.  I think colour needs to come back to interiors in a BIG way.   

Mercury - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums

What are you talking about? There is more than one vehicle with some red interior. You're looking at ONE 50's car. I doubt every 50's car had all sorts of color choices, I could be wrong. 

G Interior3.JPG

AMG GT Interior.JPG

I couldn't care less about the 50s, but as recent as the 80s-90s there were a lot more interior color choices in mainstream cars, not just luxury cars.   Lots of red interiors then also. 

My '86 Mustang LX had a red interior...

1986_00019_06.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

there were a lot more interior color choices in mainstream cars, not just luxury cars.   Lots of red interiors then also. 

I was just about to write that.   But with a 1950s and 1960s angle.  But you are 100% right. From the 1950s to the '60s to the '70s and well into the early '80s.  I think it slowly got crappy in the 1980s when cheap gray plastics entered the fray. And then black was the go to colour choice. 

This speaks my language.  This is right about where burgundy should be. 

fl0117-268550_4@2x.jpg?1483570355000

I can deal with the hard steering wheel, having had this in a Brougham, but my major heartache is that someone went through the trouble of ordering their base Cutlass Supreme (coupe) with bucket seats and a console but didn't spring for the gauge package over a boring strip speedometer ... and a clock that would be where the Olds logo is on the fake wood applique.64878250.jpg

As I was scouring for photos, I also ran into this one.  The occasional Regal S/R colonnade is like a needle in a haystack compared to Cutlass models with bucket seats (Salon, Calais, etc.) of the same years.  What a beautiful set up of bucket seats, a nicely trimmed Riviera-like console, and a trestle shifter.  Who can forget this really unique car?

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I really like the Aviator inside and out.  It's on the short list for an Encore replacement in a few years unless we find a perfect S90 in the meantime. 

Nice..I could see myself with a V90..love the interior and exterior design..

• Like 2

ALERT: GM moved their Corvette Engineering Team to the EV Team. This could signal the shift for a performance focused Electric Corvette. There is a much smaller team left on the ICE Corvette, but it seems that the future will focus on Electric.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129406_chevy-corvette-engineers-moved-to-ev-team-at-gm

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

ALERT: GM moved their Corvette Engineering Team to the EV Team. This could signal the shift for a performance focused Electric Corvette. There is a much smaller team left on the ICE Corvette, but it seems that the future will focus on Electric.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129406_chevy-corvette-engineers-moved-to-ev-team-at-gm

More crappy news out of Barra's GM.  What else is new.

• Disagree 2

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Picture it, Sicily, 1922.... 

girls take GIF

No wait... 

While it was all fictitious, she must have had a pair to be able to boss someone with Beatrice Arthur's persona around, not to mention her late husband.  This little lady had a grating voice.  My mom used to watch this show. 

The random thing I was really going to say:  as I was driving to the dealership today for a routine maintenance item, I thought about DASHBOARDS.  Given how much I disliked the dash in that Toyota Rav 4 I was given as a rental recently, I wouldn't own one.  I almost think that, if you don't "connect" with the dashboard and the car's interior, you should NOT buy that car.  You will be in that cabin for years ... and years (if you're like me).

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Straight to the heart strings there... 😢

Im sorry.

I thought I was being funny. I didnt mean to twist a knife into the heart...  

If its any consolation, the Bruins wont get past Tampa.  And although I hate the Habs, I do want them to get #25 before any other Canadian team wins the Cup and that wont be happening either this year.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

More crappy news out of Barra's GM.  What else is new.

Well, the good news is that we still get to smell gas and oil for a while. 🙂 

I was talking to a buddy of mine whose wife works deep in GM, and they had some thoughts and suggestions to bring Pontiac back with Hummer as an EV only brand. ( I am guessing the thought is so that Buick would be China only) The only reason  I could see that would be to bring some EVs with some personality and style, and still look like a regular car........

Not sure how I would feel if they brought the name back like that.......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Not sure how I would feel if they brought the name back like that.......

Ohhh I know how I feel about it.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Gauge pod section of B-59 speedometer, about 18" wide and white, or 'pot' metal.
Got a quote to have it rechromed. Any guesses?

IMG_2330 copy.jpg

$125?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Gauge pod section of B-59 speedometer, about 18" wide and white, or 'pot' metal.

IMG_2330 copy.jpg

$1,200 for the dip.

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

IMG_2330 copy.jpg

$479.38.  Instead of rechroming, how about plasti dipping all the interior brightwork in matte black? 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I would initially think that ocnblu in his line of work, would have a decent line on it, except for the teeny fact that body shops never rechrome anything. Ever. If they could order pre-painted body panels, (Fiero days?), they wouldn't even paint anything.

Robert is actually the closest; quote was $625. Half-heartedly, I'm looking at 'chrome alternatives', but my preference is the real thing. The majority of trim is stainless, but there's other pieces to do, also. Namely: bumpers. Sigh.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.33.12 PM.png

Yeah there isn't much quality chrome on vehicles these days, let alone metal, period.  Even truck step bumpers consist of painted reinforcements with chrome trim pieces bolted to the reinforcement.  Interior metals?  Forget about it.  :(

Is that a Continental, around '66-'68?

Sry for the facetious answer on the chroming, I knew it would be much more than what I quoted.

So, I mean, is the potmetal pitted?  It usually develops pits, I was wondering what could be done with a good polishing.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Yeah there isn't much quality chrome on vehicles these days, let alone metal, period.  Even truck step bumpers consist of painted reinforcements with chrome trim pieces bolted to the reinforcement.  Interior metals?  Forget about it.  :(

Is that a Continental, around '66-'68?

I didn’t realize there was a car in that pic until you mentioned it.  Had to zoom in, looks like a ‘66-67 Continental.  ‘68 moved the parking lights out of the bumper to the fender corners.  

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Sry for the facetious answer on the chroming, I knew it would be much more than what I quoted.

So, I mean, is the potmetal pitted?  It usually develops pits, I was wondering what could be done with a good polishing.

Yes- there is some pitting. Most is very minor... some are larger. Overall it's not bad, and many would shine it as best they could & live with it. But you couldn't polish them all out. Nervous about polishing so much that details/edges are altered. I do have a spare one tho.
I wanted to have ONE nice material thing in my life... plus they say money is germy.

• Haha 2

Was  Walla Walla Sweet Onion Harvest day. Grew and harvested all 76 onions. They are laid out to cure and then will enjoy them over the next 3 months. Sweet enough to eat like an Apple.20200829_093953.jpg

20200829_104753.jpg

20200829_104840.jpg

20200829_104330.jpg

20200829_104608.jpg

Seems Ford is finding plenty of heat lately as a Law firm files a class action lawsuite over the 2017-2019 Fuel economy of the F-150 and Ranger. Seems those Turbo's DO NOT give you V6 fuel economy with V8 power unless you guzzle gas like a V8.

Ford is also under Federal criminal investigation for emission and stated fuel economy standards for their auto fleet.

https://fordauthority.com/2019/07/ford-class-action-lawsuit-filed-over-f-150-and-ranger/#:~:text=Ford Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over F-150 And,vehicles in the 2017 to 2019 model years.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The random thing I was really going to say:  as I was driving to the dealership today for a routine maintenance item, I thought about DASHBOARDS.  Given how much I disliked the dash in that Toyota Rav 4 I was given as a rental recently, I wouldn't own one.  I almost think that, if you don't "connect" with the dashboard and the car's interior, you should NOT buy that car.  You will be in that cabin for years ... and years (if you're like me).

Agreed....when I'm considering a new car, I try to spend time studying the interior and esp. the ergonomics and sightlines...really the interior is more important to me than exterior styling, since the interior is where you are...for years.   Part of why I so strongly dislike gray or all black interiors, I want some color and light inside.  Things like seat adjustability and feel of the steering wheel, location of the primary controls, etc..all of that is important to me.. 

• Agree 1

On 8/27/2020 at 5:47 AM, David said:

No silver available, but a  very nice Satin Steel is.

image.png

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/1500/at4

Yep, that's my next truck, Sierra AT4 in Satin Steel Met. Gray, 6.2L, 10AT, Carbon, M-Pro. I like the monochromatic look of the black chrome grille or like my current '18 K2XX Silvy Z71 Crew with the body color grille, bumpers, door handles and mirror caps. I'll pass on all the chrome, it was "cool" in HS, not now and I'm just fine with black leather interior, thank you :D I've had Cashmere leather interior (Cadillac's cream color) and medium gray they just get old, I get sick of looking at the tan or cream colors for sure. Dark gray interior I'm good with as well.  

Edited by USA-1
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I agree to that sentiment above 100%, about the interior and dashboard and all that.  However, for me, the exterior is what counts more.  I know when you are driving the vehicle, its the interior that you get to experience the most all those years with the car, but, when you are walking up to the car, its the exterior you are getting to see.   That love at first sight feeling.  The, I cant wait to drive the shyte out of you feeling...   When you are washing the vehicle, its the exterior you are caressing and rubbing and soaping up and feeling the contours of...   In other words, for me at least,  she's got to look good on the outside.  Beauty for a car,  unlike for a human, beauty being skin deep is a good thing for me.  And what I seek for when Im cruising for a new ride.    

Yes...a car's exterior has got to invoke that passion.   I could live with a cup holder/button/gear selector/RPM gauge not being in the "optimal" position.  I could learn to cope with it, to adjust.  But if the vehicle Im spending my hard earned money is not exactly to my liking on the outside,  then I aint buying it.

The next criteria for me would be on its driving characteristics.  Looks and driving characteristics easily 1 and 2. And they  are both interchangeable.  And third would be interior and interior ergonomics.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Yep, that's my next truck, Sierra AT4 in Satin Steel Met. Gray, 6.2L, 10AT, Carbon, M-Pro. I like the monochromatic look of the black chrome grille or like my current '18 K2XX Silvy Z71 Crew with the body color grille, bumpers, door handles and mirror caps. I'll pass on all the chrome, it was "cool" in HS, not now and I'm just fine with black leather interior, thank you :D I've had Cashmere leather interior (Cadillac's cream color) and medium gray they just get old, I get sick of looking at the tan or cream colors for sure. Dark gray interior I'm good with as well.  

AND the light color tans/cream or light gray leathers get stained from dark colored slacks or blue jeans rubbing off on them, even if you're careful not to slide too much on the seat when getting in or out. Very annoying!

Edited by USA-1

Seems the hot selling SUV's from Hyundai and Kia are smelling in heat 80 degrees and above. The Auto company is looking into it, but does not have a solution yet.

https://jalopnik.com/the-hyundai-palisade-literally-stinks-owners-1844881275

5 minutes ago, David said:

Seems the hot selling SUV's from Hyundai and Kia are smelling in heat 80 degrees and above. The Auto company is looking into it, but does not have a solution yet.

https://jalopnik.com/the-hyundai-palisade-literally-stinks-owners-1844881275

Just read that too. Pretty fitting IMO...

Edited by USA-1