Random Thoughts Thread

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Personally, if they said not to use it and VW went ahead and used it, that's not on them. Should they have told on them, I guess... 🤷🏻‍♂️I don't hold them responsible for what VW did. 

I can understand that view point, but they then went and sold it to all the other German auto company's and the various divisions. To me they knew it was not right to use the software, not right and honestly from an Engineering point of view, no need for it when you have to have your engines pass a certain test. 

This tells me they knew they had figured out a way to cheat and was willing for a fee sell it to anyone and everyone who would buy.

I hold them accountable for the deception they created and sold.

Do you like dates?

Not those kinds of dates.  Dates you can eat.

WTH?

No, these kinds of dates.

905.jpg

When I was a kid, I thought they were gross, mostly because of the way they looked.  My parents loved them.  Perhaps it had to do with their growing up in an area where palm trees were normal and the Arab world wasn't all that far away.  I came to learn that dates are delicious.

This one famous kitsch place for dates is called Shields Date Garden and is in Indio, CA near Palm Springs.  I believe Indio is the "Date Capital of the World."

IMG_1957-636x424.jpg

And, if you're still thinking about the other kind of dates, they can "sort of" accommodate you:

EF_cNpJUUAAxNKo.jpg

Any family jaunt to the SoCal desert near Palm Springs meant my parents would be buying dates to eat there ... and to eat at home.

Not only that, it's kind of funny to connect the dots between Shields ... and dates.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

@trinacriabob Dates are da BOMB! Love them. Buy them by the tub from Costco and enjoy them with everything. Especially a Bacon Wrapped Date on the BBQ. :P 

image.png

Try this recipe if you like Dates. Date filled Cream Cheese with Bacon. YUM YUM YUM :P

This recipe uses Goat Cheese, but you can really use any kind of Cheese that you like. Cream Cheese makes it very decadent. 

https://www.vindulge.com/grilled-bacon-wrapped-dates-with-smoked-honey/

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I suppose the 'Blonde Date' above could go either way: 115 lbs or 150 lbs.

Mark my vote permanently on 115. ;)

We'll you could have short and stout or tall and toothpick at 115 lbs.

I figure you were more of this anyway! :P 

image.png

• Haha 1

Customer came in to pick up his 2.7L EB F-150 after a collision repair.  First thing he said when he walked in the office:  "Did you do a 5.0 Coyote swap for me?"

Hearing more and more about how crappy these V6 EB engines are in F-Series trucks.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, David said:

image.png

I see "fibre" and "anaemia."  What English speaking country does this come from?

I like dates but I'm not quite sure about their sugar content.  I thought that avocado(e)s (incredible things) were low in everything because they came from a tree.  Wrong!  But they supposedly help with the good cholesterol or some such medical criteria.  It hasn't stopped me from putting them into my salad.

^^^^  both      

As Canada uses British spelling most of the time.  We could include Australia too.  

We shouldnt be surprised about British spelling.  It is the country that English originated from, right?

PS:   Anaemia, or anemia, is a word that originated from the Greek language.  Hence the "ae" spelling.  

I guess, over the decades in America, "ae" looked "ugly" to the American scholars and because the pursuit of independence from Great Britain was front and centre, Americans nixed it.  

Centre is another such word.  British spelling. (And French)   That Canada uses. Australia probably too.   

Edited by oldshurst442

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^^  both      

As Canada uses British spelling most of the time.  We could include Australia too.  

We shouldnt be surprised about British spelling.  It is the country that English originated from, right?

PS:   Anaemia, or anemia, is a word that originated from the Greek language.  Hence the "ae" spelling.  

I guess, over the decades in America, "ae" looked "ugly" to the American scholars and because the pursuit of independence from Great Britain was front and centre, Americans nixed it.  

Centre is another such word.  British spelling. (And French)   That Canada uses. Australia probably too.   

Yes...Australia, New Zealand, India, any Commonwealth nation or former Commonwealth nation would use British English spellings, I think...

And there is aluminum vs aluminium.

My favorite is diarrhea vs diarrhoea. 

I see at daily at work in emails since I work w/ an India team and most of my client's management are based in the Caribbean.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I see "fibre" and "anaemia."  What English speaking country does this come from?

I like dates but I'm not quite sure about their sugar content.  I thought that avocado(e)s (incredible things) were low in everything because they came from a tree.  Wrong!  But they supposedly help with the good cholesterol or some such medical criteria.  It hasn't stopped me from putting them into my salad.

The USDA Food Composition Database found at the U.S. Department of Agriculture has all the comparison details, I find this web site makes it more visually friendly.

image.png

Go to the link below for even more comparison info on these two. They actually break it down into a complete mineral, vitamin, protein, carbohydrates and fats comparison charts.

Excellent way to help guide eating changes to live healthier. At the bottom is a list of other comparable items to the Date and Avocado.

image.png

https://foodstruct.com/compare/dates-degletnoor-vs-avocado

You can go here and pretty much compare any food to see how healthy it is. I like that they use the comparison food color to show which section that food wins in.

No matter what, like everything, in moderation is the way to go and Dates and Avocado's have plenty of positive reasons to eat if you like the taste, texture and visual.

For me, Awfulcado's turn me off by visual some, mostly taste and texture. Not happy in my mouth. Dates on the other hand I love. So go figure. I am also not a big fruit lover either. Will enjoy Watermelon, pears and peaches, but not much else.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The Diet analysis is a great way to plug in the types of food you eat and see how healthy you are eating. Great way to create a balanced healthy life style if you need to shed a few pounds, stones, kg. :P  I am sure the Pandemic has us all putting on a few, I know I have, gotta up my workout at home.

https://foodstruct.com/

Snag_2fc9f956.png

Latest Auto Recalls listed here:

https://autonxt.net/latest-automotive-safety-recalls/

Interesting that the latest one is a recall for improper welds on the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLB. Even more interesting of the 68 recalls, they are Dominated by Mercedes-Benz and Ford.

The most interesting one is the MB S560 which is being recalled for weak oil plugs that can cause while under load of freeway driving to pop both plugs, spilling oil on the road causing crashes and causing the engine to seize up. Crazy

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I'll have both, please.  Why pass on the salmon?

Fishy greasy tasting, not a fish fan. Glad @ocnblu likes his fish, I just do not. Have tried it a few times and just not for me. 

14 hours ago, David said:

Thank you.  This is great.

You also put up the flag of Ireland!

It seems to like a "pushmepullyu" - about a wash.  What's odd in the comparison chart is that lower in glycemic index and lower in sugars are given to one and the other, respectively.  I thought those concepts were somewhat the same.

3 hours ago, David said:

Scallops look good, pass on the salmon.

I'll go with both as well.  Almost all fish that can be filleted works for me.  If you land on some good shark, it's delicious ... sort of like a drier swordfish if prepared right.  In the realm of seafood, it's clams, mussels, and crab that I can't stand. 

It's cool that you don't like avocados or salmon.  I can count how many glasses of beer I've had in my life on two hands.  I get flack for that.  It has never tasted good to me.  I've had some decent alcoholic drinks in the realm of mixed drinks and wines, but am certainly no connoisseur.  I'd rather be on the lookout for bargains in travel.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

If your fish is greasy tasting...you are doing something wrong.  Something terribly wrong... 

Yea, Love to fish, clean and will cook it, BBQ, Steamed, Poached, broiled, etc. All fish taste, texture, smell just turns me off for eating.

I have a very limited seafood that I like, Scallops, King Crab, Lobster and an occasional tiger prawn. That is it. Pretty much a Beef, Pork and Chicken man.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Boy, ain't that the case here!

I'm going to interpret this along the lines of the 115 comment.  My parents had a neighbor where the wife talked for both of them but, when the husband said something, it was usually far more incisive and made more sense.  There was a somewhat ornery lady in the neighborhood who was really short and stout, and this guy referred to her as "4 by 4."  I still laugh about this.  She could be one of those 115ers, as was described in another post.  Sometimes, people of few words can come up with some great observations, nicknames, and one liners.

• Agree 1

I got back from Arby's drive-through with a sandwich and their twin pack of triangular potato cakes.  The potato cakes seldom make it through the entire ride back home.

I've yet to meet a potato I don't like.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2021 new style Buick Envision info is up over onto the online order guide if anyone wants to check it out.  The ST trim package should look cool, sort of like a T-Type package back in The Day.

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2021&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=4&vehicleID=22084&type=0

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Seems Test Mules for Chevrolet Silverado are going to have the same Multi-Feature tail gate according to pictures snapped and published on this site.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/chevy-silverado-with-multiflex-tailgate-spied-completely-camo-free/

• Agree 2

On 8/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, David said:

image.png

Then add cream cheese and bacon and the health benefits are all out the window! :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, David said:

Seems Test Mules for Chevrolet Silverado are going to have the same Multi-Feature tail gate according to pictures snapped and published on this site.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/chevy-silverado-with-multiflex-tailgate-spied-completely-camo-free/

Yep and you'll be happy to know that a front-end mid-cycle refresh is coming at the same time, since we all know you've been losing sleep over the current one 😂 it's grown on me and it's much better in person, but I do prefer the current GMC Sierra over it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeep Ram recall on the EcoDiesel engine due to a failure of the camshaft that can result in a stalling risk.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129358_diesel-ram-1500-and-jeep-grand-cherokee-models-recalled-for-stalling-risk

• Haha 1