Random Thoughts Thread

14 hours ago, David said:

WANT A FREE CORVETTE, BOLT or Silverado?

Chevrolet will let you choose from one of 3 colors and you can quickly download it and build it your self.

image.png

Corvette

https://www.chevrolet.com/new-roads/performance/papercraft-corvette

BOLT

https://www.chevrolet.com/new-roads/electric/papercraft-bolt-ev

Silverado

https://www.chevrolet.com/new-roads/trucks/papercraft-silverado

Is it weird that I might print out the Corvette or Silverado...? It looks kindof fun and they look pretty cool. 

11 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Dude...that's brutal humidity when in the mid 80's!! Now think of how Floridians feel with 84F and 90%+ hum. Ugh...

Yeah, that's not all that bad.. Come to the Midwest in July or most Augusts(this year was the mildest I can remember) when it's upper 90's with 75% humidity. You sweat just looking outside. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, that's not all that bad.. Come to the Midwest in July or most Augusts(this year was the mildest I can remember) when it's upper 90's with 75% humidity. You sweat just looking outside. 

It hasn't been bad here in NE Ohio this summer...the humidity hasn't been bad at all, and have had only a handful of days over 90....being close to Lake Erie helps for me, breezier and lower humidity than further inland in Ohio.   Looking forward to the rest of September and October.. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Which "famous" family lived in this apartment or condo tower?  Three guesses and the first two don't count.

Jetsonshousecloseup.jpg

Amazing how much the look of this type of building was replicated in warmer places (CA, NV, AZ, and FL) during the '60s and early '70s. This family was therefore a trendsetter, too.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, David said:

33C or 90 plus in Seattle today. so freaking hot. :( 

I haven't forgotten when the Seattle area hit 114 F one summer.  I was not living there when it happened.  But that statistic, being at the 47th parallel, is something that I still remember.

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

^ looks like where George Jetson and his family resided. 

When it comes to AZ, the auditorium at ASU has that Jetsons look.

aa00fbf3-ed9f-4de8-864b-c73bf69688a2.siz

Theme building at LAX, too.  When I was a kid, we'd go up on that observation platform and watch 747s take off and land.

Themelax1.jpg

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Is it weird that I might print out the Corvette or Silverado...? It looks kindof fun and they look pretty cool. 

The whole Eastern Seaboard and Midwest are pretty bad in the Summer for sure. Been to Annapolis, MD in August it was horrible, probably 80% hum. and people were still out jogging around. They must have been training for a marathon getting lungs in shape with thick air or they were just nuts haha.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, David said:

He does say that he thinks with some further tweaks he can get it to 900 hp naturally aspirated with no turbo or supercharger. The engine was built to handle a 3L Whipple Supercharger. He wanted to break it in gently before forcing induction down it's throat.

Be interesting to see how far he takes the build. This motor is going into his custom Fox Body Mustang.

Cadillac NEWS

Seems GM is getting back into the limo business as Motor 1 caught pictures at the GM proving grounds of a XT5 Limo being tested. More pics and details at the story.

image.png

https://www.motor1.com/news/443466/cadillac-xt5-limousine-spy-photos/

Makes sense with the Livery Leader XTS production ending. Aftermarket builders will probably make versions of the CT5 as well.

CT6 Super Stretch is a gorgeous limo with the gull-wing middle doors. Just...WOW.

New Model Cadillac CT6 - A-One Limousine

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Being one who is born and raised in Washington State and having lived through the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption and ash covering us for the next couple of weeks, I see Seattle this weekend being in the same mess of ash from the Forest Fires.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Being one who is born and raised in Washington State and having lived through the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption and ash covering us for the next couple of weeks, I see Seattle this weekend being in the same mess of ash from the Forest Fires.

I was pretty young, but remember parts of the Mt. St. Helen's eruption. Grew up about 75 mi. (as the crow flies) from it. Pictures my Mother took of it in the distance were ominous for sure.

Those Wildfires are getting a bit problematic up that way. There was one that started near the Columbia Gorge when I was home last month, light smoke and haze made it to the Willamette Valley where I was. Nor. Cal has red skies during the day it's so bad there.  

• Agree 2

The XTS looked like shyte as a limo.  The XT5 even worse.   Please, do NOT ever post the XT5 as a limo EVER again!    :yuck: 

The CT6 is passable.  There is something amiss with the front end.  

I think, as far as car based Caddy limos go, these last two might very well be the last of the awesome lookin' Cadillac limos. 

Pin on Limousine's

1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Stretch Limousine | Rides Through Time

Then comes the Escalade.  I wont post pics of past Escalade limos, but this render of a possible next gen Escalade Limo promises to be EPIC and continue the lineage of awesome Caddy limos.  

Can a new 2021 Cadillac Escalade Be Turned Into an Executive Private Jet on  Wheels? Lexani Motorcars Says Yes! - The Fast Lane Truck

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 4

55 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The CT6 is passable.  There is something amiss with the front end.

How's this Caddy front-end grab ya? BEAST 2.0! 💪🏼:unitedstates: 👍🏼:D👍🏼

What to know about Trump's armored limo, 'The Beast'

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I actually lived in Brooklyn at the time.  Was out of town due to work that day and couldn't come back because all the bridges and tunnels were closed.  Driving over Verrazano Bridge next day and seeing smoldering remains of the twins is something I will never forget.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

How's this Caddy front-end grab ya? BEAST 2.0! 💪🏼:unitedstates: 👍🏼:D👍🏼

What to know about Trump's armored limo, 'The Beast'

And in New York too! 

Did you plan that?  

My dad always watched CNN so when the 1st plane hit and the newsfeed went to NYC and the news was focused on the "accident",  he saw the action unfold from the get go.  He woke me up immediately to tell me about it. 15 minutes later we were both discussing this as if it was a terror attack.  The perception at CNN before the 2nd plane was confusement and bedazzlement.  Shortly there-after the 2nd plane hit...

It took me 24 hours to sink in but I tell you...that following day, I was in tears all day.  Took me about a week to get back to normal.  And then anger set it...

My wife, who I hadnt met yet, I met her in late November, was actually in NYC. She got in on the 10th.  By train.  She has an aunt and uncle living in Astoria.  Well, she was gonna be doing sightseeing on the 11th.  And yes, the Twin Towers were on the agenda.  

She stayed in NYC for about a week.  She has all kinds of personal photos of NYC during that fateful day and week.  She still has her train ticket.   Her too, was devastated by this event.  We discussed this event maybe on our 3rd date just before XMAS and she showed me her pictures and we both cried.  Actually, Im about to cry right about now... 

Love from Montreal!!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

And in New York too! 

Did you plan that?  

My dad always watched CNN so when the 1st plane hit and the newsfeed went to NYC and the news was focused on the "accident",  he saw the action unfold from the get go.  He woke me up immediately to tell me about it. 15 minutes later we were both discussing this as if it was a terror attack.  The perception at CNN before the 2nd plane was confusement and bedazzlement.  Shortly there-after the 2nd plane hit...

It took me 24 hours to sink in but I tell you...that following day, I was in tears all day.  Took me about a week to get back to normal.  And then anger set it...

My wife, who I hadnt met yet, I met her in late November, was actually in NYC. She got in on the 10th.  By train.  She has an aunt and uncle living in Astoria.  Well, she was gonna be doing sightseeing on the 11th.  And yes, the Twin Towers were on the agenda.  

She stayed in NYC for about a week.  She has all kinds of personal photos of NYC during that fateful day and week.  She still has her train ticket.   Her too, was devastated by this event.  We discussed this event maybe on our 3rd date just before XMAS and she showed me her pictures and we both cried.  Actually, Im about to cry right about now... 

Love from Montreal!!!!

Yes, sir I sure did plan that! :D 

Wow, quite the story and a very moving one at that brother. It really was a horrible day for the country and those of us who love this country. I hear you, I was sad then angry as well.

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

My wife was in NYC that morning. Few blocks away. Scariest day I've lived thru.

Almost no way to communicate in NYC through copper or cell towers had to have been the worst part for family and loved ones.

My coworker who lives in Seattle and has a view of the water from his office sent me the pic he took a month ago and today.

Before wildfires 

31325.jpeg

Today with the smoke from Oregon and California moving in.

31328.jpeg

Speaking of good things from Canada, I've been enjoying the comedy 'Schitt's Creek' lately....also in the past have enjoyed 'Corner Gas', 'Trailer Park Boys' and 'Red Green Show'.... of course besides William Shatner, Canada is also the birth place of great actors incl. Donald Sutherland and Christopher Plummer...and a lot of music I'm a fan of...from Rush, Neil Young, Robbie Robertson, Gordon Lightfoot,  to Leonard Cohen and Mylene Farmer..

• Confused 1

Rant on :
This crap drives me nuts. '62 Biscayne 409 / 4-spd car, obviously meticulously restored. Auctioned via Mecum :

https://www.mecum.com/lots/IA0711-112558/1962-chevrolet-biscayne/

My beef is, for some damned reason, restorers read a spec somewhere and stick these ridiculous springs underneath.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 9.00.54 PM.png

Let's do a lil math. Period Chevs wore 14" rims; that's 7" from the center to the edge (actually- slightly inboard of the edge). Tire sidewall is about 4" by my eye. Rocker chrome is ABOVE the wheel centerline, maybe an inch. That's an even TWELVE inches of the rocker off the pavement! These cars NEVER LEFT the factorty riding that ridiculously high.

I'm constantly mind-boggled when I see this, but exactly this is offered as "correct".

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Dan Aykroyd, Mike Myers, Kiefer Sunderland, JOHN CANDY, MICHAEL J. FOX,  Eugene Levy...from Schitt's Creek, Martin Short, LORNE GREENE just to name a few.

Leonard Cohen  (From Montreal, as is Captain Kirk) was mentioned.   

Downtown MTL - Leonard Cohen Mural | Montreal travel, Montreal quebec,  Canadian rockies travel

That is not photoshopped.  That is an actual mural painted in his honour after his death. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

23 pipes to make ya understand! The Golden Goddess Benzo! :roflmao:

car-mods7.jpg

The newest German Tank added to the fleet...

Smart Car Mod

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 1

Talking with a new customer today, older guy (60), said he 'really like your truck, have you thought about selling it?' and 'Oooo, it's a diesel!'
I can't let mine go until I line up a replacement... and I look frequently... AND we never talked a number... but it's good to know there's potential buyers out there. I'd rather sell it privately.
But the new truck prices are crazy... and I don't even need a High Country or LTZ.

That said, another customer just got a brand new Denali Crew Cab/Short bed 5.3. White, gorgeous. Crewcab Denali 1500s sticker in the mid 60s. He got it for $50K. Now... if I can get a $50K truck down to -say $37K, I'm a buyer.

• Agree 4

On 9/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, balthazar said:

^ Oh no, pre-impact it certainly was in the $80K range- quality GTOs are mad pricey these days. And if the shell doesn't have significant damage, what's there IS worth in the neighborhood of where it's at.

It's wearing Judge stripes, but no Judge logos... Judge stripes are a relatively common addition on restorations... but documented, quality Judges sell in the quarter million dollar range with frequency.

My point was it's no longer worth $80K NOW.

Yeah, and I remember walking onto a used car lot in the eqarly 80's with 4 legit judges for sale....times change...

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Talking with a new customer today, older guy (60), said he 'really like your truck, have you thought about selling it?' and 'Oooo, it's a diesel!'
I can't let mine go until I line up a replacement... and I look frequently... AND we never talked a number... but it's good to know there's potential buyers out there. I'd rather sell it privately.
But the new truck prices are crazy... and I don't even need a High Country or LTZ.

That said, another customer just got a brand new Denali Crew Cab/Short bed 5.3. White, gorgeous. Crewcab Denali 1500s sticker in the mid 60s. He got it for $50K. Now... if I can get a $50K truck down to -say $37K, I'm a buyer.

Diesel trucks still sell for stupid numbers. Would love to ahve bought one when i bought the Ranger, jsut wasn't in the cards. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Rant on :
This crap drives me nuts. '62 Biscayne 409 / 4-spd car, obviously meticulously restored. Auctioned via Mecum :

My beef is, for some damned reason, restorers read a spec somewhere and stick these ridiculous springs underneath.

Let's do a lil math. Period Chevs wore 14" rims; that's 7" from the center to the edge (actually- slightly inboard of the edge). Tire sidewall is about 4" by my eye. Rocker chrome is ABOVE the wheel centerline, maybe an inch. That's an even TWELVE inches of the rocker off the pavement! These cars NEVER LEFT the factorty riding that ridiculously high.

I'm constantly mind-boggled when I see this, but exactly this is offered as "correct".

They are just prepping the cars for the inevitable conversion to 24 or 28 inch rims and groovy metallic paint...

16 hours ago, David said:

Woke to falling ash and terrible visibility 

20200912_093213.jpg

This is really sad, my son lives in Tacoma....all kinds of horror stories. Stay safe!  Love that you still own the SS...

• Thanks 1

So much for the myth of Japanese superiority and invicibility...

Actually a really thoughtful video. 

Tundra does not always rate well with people who review cars. And they have a point. Carl, the guy who does our exterminating work at the Unviersity I work for, had a Silverado...looked at a Tundra...found it to be really dated and unlikeable. Wound up with a RAM and loves it. 

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/tundra

Tundra rated #6, which is not inaccurate. 

Not all japanese cars though...you all will disagree but I find this Lexus kind of hot. 

Nor are all domestic cars that inspring...love my ranger, love Ford Super duty trucks, the f150 is good, an American best seller...but the ecosport....sells slowly...Ford should discontinue IMHO.  

• Agree 3

https://www.iseecars.com/fastest-selling-cars-study

An interesting list. Among fastest selling used SUV's, Tesla is the only domestic on the list. Escape and Trax really don't compete, domestics need to up their game here. Both seem to get huge money on the hood at the end of the model year around here, and sell for a ton less than most other midsize/small suv's. 

Escape and Trax lack of off road capability and charm of the Renegade also IMHO. 

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Rant on :

I heard a rumor many moons ago that brand new springs need to "settle" over time.  We don't replace too many leaf springs these days, is that not true?