Random Thoughts Thread

On 8/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, David said:

Same here for me and Taco Time Tater Tots, they seldom make it home. :P 

Oh I miss Taco Time. Only in PNW and N. Cal. My fav are the deep fried Crisp Bean Burrito or BOB as they call it as well as the berry empanada pie that's rolled in cinnamon and sugar, yes as good as it sounds and yes the tater tots are tasty as well. Much fresher Mexican/American fast food than Taco "Hell". They used to have a TT in the town I grew up in, but it closed down years ago. I miss the Saguaro cactus sign :D  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I liked Del Taco in AZ...maybe more so than Taco Bell.. 

Del Taco is worlds better than Toxic Smell. Haven’t eaten at the Bell in twenty years. Sucks that they don’t have Del Tacos here in NC though. I do miss that about Phoenix. 

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Cheap chain Mexican food:  Del Taco.  Period.

Slightly less cheap chain Mexican food:  El Pollo Loco.

El Pollo Loco rocks!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Cheap chain Mexican food:  Del Taco.  Period.

Slightly less cheap chain Mexican food:  El Pollo Loco.

Just had El Po Lo for lunch. Pretty good. Comparatively, I think Chipotle is fresher.

Pretty funny how much we talk about food on this car blog. I think it's usually @oldshurst442  or @David fault! :D

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Del Taco is worlds better than Toxic Smell. Haven’t eaten at the Bell in twenty years. Sucks that they don’t have Del Tacos here in NC though. I do miss that about Phoenix. 

El Pollo Loco rocks!

I don't know ... it's something about the way they grill their chicken, meat.  When EPL put out coupons, it would incentivize me to go there for some tacos and whatnot ... and I also liked putting their very tasty mild to medium green sauce on my food.

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I have a good local taco joint less than a mile from my house..run by a family from San Bernardino, seems like what I remember as authentic So Cal tacos...in NE Ohio. 

Touche'.  This is called "nichemanship" in marketing jargon, IIRC.  It's seeing an unmet need ... and filling it!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Just had El Po Lo for lunch. Pretty good. Comparatively, I think Chipotle is fresher.

Pretty funny how much we talk about food on this car blog. I think it's usually @oldshurst442  or @David fault! :D

I've liked Chipotle for over 20 years, used to go to the original location in Denver.   'Chipotle Friday' (or Thursday) was a tradition at several companies I've worked at over the years...used to go to the one at Scottsdale Rd and Camelback every week for years.

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I've liked Chipotle for over 20 years, used to go to the original location in Denver.   'Chipotle Friday' (or Thursday) was a tradition at several companies I've worked at over the years...used to go to the one at Scottsdale Rd and Camelback every week for years.

Every place I've worked had different restaurant hangouts - at one place, it was a pizza place some of us liked, at another place, it was a Mexican hole in the wall that had an incredible enchilada platter and, at another place, it was a Greek restaurant where the lunch pricing was much more reasonable than the dinner pricing.  When I was in college and worked at a few hospitals part time and during summers, it was the cafeteria.  You couldn't beat the prices.  It seemed hospitals tend to be big gossip grapevines; however, the business side of the house tends to be buffered from the medical side, so we were able to figure out that the goings-on might be entertaining but weren't connected enough to get the details.  I guess that, if a person wanted details so badly, they could watch soap operas as a surrogate.

Gotta Love this GMC picture of showing the WHOLE family of Trucks and SUV/CUV in AT4 Premium Off-Road package as a lineup for 2021.

AT4 models are engineered to add an extra level of capability and technology tailored to customers’ wants and needs. That vision is consistent across all AT4 models and the level of capability matches the needs of customers in each segment. Professional Grade engineering highlights of the AT4 lineup include:

• Sierra AT4 offers a 2-inch factory lift, skid plates, Rancho® monotube shocks, a standard MultiPro Tailgate, available Carbon Fiber Bed and available Mud-Terrain tires.
  • Sierra HD AT4 features an off-road suspension, skid plates, Rancho shocks®, a standard MultiPro Tailgate and up to 15 innovative camera views* that helps benefit not just trailering, but visibility over rough terrain and in tight corners.
  • Acadia AT4 features an Advanced Twin-Clutch AWD System for increased capability on mixed surfaces, All-Terrain tires and Traction Select with Off-Road Mode.
  • Canyon AT4 comes standard with off-road tuned suspension, an automatic locking rear differential and 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac® tires. (available Spring 2020)
  • Yukon AT4 offers air suspension with 4 inches of adjustability, an electronic limited-slip differential and a 15-inch head-up display. (available Summer 2020)
  • Terrain AT4 will feature a rugged exterior, confident capability and advanced technology. (available Fall 2020)

About GMC

2021-GMC-AT4-Family.jpg

https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jan/0115-at4-lineup.html

• Like 1

Buick has become the first to incorporate the first Yelp Reservations experience for an in-vehicle platform. Make your restaurant reservation anywhere nationwide.

To Quote the Buick Press Release:

Within the Marketplace app, Yelp Reservations allows customers to search for restaurants in a 25-mile radius of their vehicle’s location and reserve a table for up to 10 people. This is the first time Yelp Reservations has been embedded in vehicles.

Users can segment their search by types of cuisine, such as Seafood or Mexican, and view the restaurant’s rating and general price range. The app also lets drivers call a restaurant directly.

“Whether drivers want to make a dinner reservation on the go, or get recommendations for restaurants in a new city, the newly added Yelp Reservations brings simple convenience to the car,” said Sam Russell, director of Buick Marketing. “Making new features like this available for vehicles already on the road enhances our vehicles with unexpected new benefits for our customers.”

With more than 160 million reviews, Yelp is a trusted resource for connecting consumers with great local businesses. With the availability of Yelp Reservations, Buick drivers can learn about the best restaurants nearby and easily book a table at participating restaurants.

https://media.buick.com/media/us/en/buick/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/nov/1102-yelp.html

Thought you all would like this Chevrolet Video release of a walk around of the all new 2021 Tahoe and Suburban. Great inside and out, they have really stepped up their game.

I do wonder how many will go for the diesel, Thinking this is too little too late for diesel now.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.html

• Agree 1

You've made your anti-diesel stance clear, but as far as the Silverado goes, the TD has significant build rate, out-producing both the 310 HP 2.7L I4 and the base 285HP 4.3L V6. It's on pace with the 5.3L V8, but the 5.3L DFM far outsells all of those others. Still, the 'baby DuraMax' has made significant inroads into the segment, even tho it's a brand new engine.
I suspect, with higher ATPs and possibly more hauling than the SIlverado, that the Tahoe/Suburban might see even higher take rates. It gets leading edge mileage (23/30 in the Silvie), something appealing to long-haulers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

You've made your anti-diesel stance clear, but as far as the Silverado goes, the TD has significant build rate, out-producing both the 310 HP 2.7L I4 and the base 285HP 4.3L V6. It's on pace with the 5.3L V8, but the 5.3L DFM far outsells all of those others. Still, the 'baby DuraMax' has made significant inroads into the segment, even tho it's a brand new engine.
I suspect, with higher ATPs and possibly more hauling than the SIlverado, that the Tahoe/Suburban might see even higher take rates. It gets leading edge mileage (23/30 in the Silvie), something appealing to long-haulers.

Clarification, I AM NOT Anti-Diesel, there is a place for it, just need better emissions on the exhaust due to the Toxic nature.

While I believe there is a place for Diesel auto's, the 6.2 out performs the baby Duramax and I think that due to Diesel gate by the Germans, that those that would want the Full Size SUV for camping will pass on the diesel compared to going with the 6.2L V8 or 5.3L V8 and the less costly 3rd party enhancements to get more power out of those engines.

I was one that wanted a Diesel Suburban back in the 90's but what was available was hard to get in Washington state. Later on when I went looking, there were no options for pulling in the Suburban other than Gas V8.

I would love to see the sales rate, ATP info, etc. on the diesel sales as you do not hear much about it. GM never has marketed diesel well.

those that would want the Full Size SUV for camping will pass on the diesel compared to going with the 6.2L V8 or 5.3L V8 and the less costly 3rd party enhancements to get more power out of those engines.

I don't think so, Tim.
5.3L is DOWN on power vs. the 3.0L : 383 TRQ vs. 460.
6.2L equals the TRQ, but requires premium and is only rated at 15/19 vs 23/30.

Even tho the 3.0TD costs more up front, over the long run it'll save you money, it's equals the top engine's power, gets much better MPG and likely holds it's value better over time.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I don't think so, Tim.
5.3L is DOWN on power vs. the 3.0L : 383 TRQ vs. 460.
6.2L equals the TRQ, but requires premium and is only rated at 15/19 vs 23/30.

Even tho the 3.0TD costs more up front, over the long run it'll save you money, it's equals the top engine's power, gets much better MPG and likely holds it's value better over time.

Do not know who Tim is, but David is here. 

Yes, 5.3 is DOWN, but after market can boost it over and still be cheaper than the cost of diesel.

6.2 equals, yes and has the cost of Premium fuel.

With the bulk of people NOT paying attention to details or learning about things, I really do not think Diesel and the added maintenance, cost and awareness will happen. I suspect we will see an up tick at first, but that will be about it. I also expect plenty of people to mess up and put regular gas into the diesel messing it up as they will not pay attention, same with the rest of the added maintenance of the Diesel. People want to do less not more in regards to their auto. 

Diesel fans will get what they want, but I do not expect it to win over regular gas users.

• Disagree 1

49 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

All I know is, some ppl aren't complete morons.  They know their colors.  Green is the color of the diesel fuel filler nozzle.

At BP stations, gasoline fuel filler nozzles are green. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Yes, 5.3 is DOWN, but after market can boost it over and still be cheaper than the cost of diesel.
•• TDs can, and are easier to raise the output of than gas engines. And many of the aftermarket gas boosts (not 'all') bump the fuel requirement to premium. It was that way when I tuned my F-150.••

I also expect plenty of people to mess up and put regular gas into the diesel messing it up as they will not pay attention, same with the rest of the added maintenance of the Diesel.
••You're really grasping at straws with that one. That one was hilarious, I must admit. BTW, my diesel has required no more maintenance than a gas-engined version. I think the oil change interval may be longern than gas too (10 qrts vs. 6?).

And :

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 8.56.28 PM.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

And :

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 8.56.28 PM.png

We agree to disagree, but if it was not an issue then how come there are SO MANY ONLINE LINKS about what to do when Gas is put in your Diesel auto or vic a versa. Seems to be an issue with Gas destroying a Diesel motor. 

I agree that those that want the benefits and accept diesel will understand the responsibility. 

I stand by my comment that most people want less maintenance and less things to think about such as urine to keep the exhaust clean than what a diesel requires and right now current Diesels require more maintenance than an old diesel like what you drive. 

I am glad that for you, maintenance is less, sadly, that does not seem to be for those that have a trailer and buy a diesel for the Torque and yet seem to not do their maintenance.

Depending on the person they either cost more or less. Especially if you do your maintenance at the dealership. 

Interesting comparison.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/09/considering-a-diesel-pickup-here-are-costs-to-ponder.html

https://mechanicshub.com/toolbox/maintenance-diesel-engines-vs-gas

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I’ll take one in silver please. 🙂 

Also really want to see the Terrian AT4 too......

No silver available, but a  very nice Satin Steel is.

image.png

I also really like the Carbon Black.

image.png

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/1500/at4

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

GMC seems to have a very limited color palette inside and out...interiors in black or dark gray....barf.

Agree, you SHOULD be able to get all interior and exterior colors on any model line I think. It is crazy that they push you into the over bling Denali to get those choices. I really like this two tone brown interior but only in Denali. Everything else below is black or grey, totally sucks.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David said:

Agree, you SHOULD be able to get all interior and exterior colors on any model line I think. It is crazy that they push you into the over bling Denali to get those choices. I really like this two tone brown interior but only in Denali. Everything else below is black or grey, totally sucks.

image.png

image.png

Nice, but way too dark and gloomy. 

14 hours ago, David said:

You do realize there is an aftermarket for BOTH engines.. 

10 hours ago, David said:

Comparing the Diesel to the base engine..not the most popular V6.

While they both cost the same to drive 25 miles, the diesel will be a WAY better experience than the n/a 2.5, 4 banger. 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Nice, but way too dark and gloomy. 

I understand, I have come to realize especially after the latest updates to the Ford F-150 line that GM will never replace Ford as the best selling truck till they offer a much wider assortment of interior and exterior colors on all models from base LS to top of the line at Chevrolet and same at GMC.

To me it seems GM is willing to be happy at 2nd best compared to Ford in sales. I want quality, but I think they need to expand their color portfolio with the options mix.

I honestly was hoping that with going to their new wire harness systems, GM Digital Vehicle Platform that it would have allowed them to offer a better pick your individual features you want.

https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/may/0520-digital.html

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You do realize there is an aftermarket for BOTH engines.. 

Comparing the Diesel to the base engine..not the most popular V6.

While they both cost the same to drive 25 miles, the diesel will be a WAY better experience than the n/a 2.5, 4 banger. 

I understand there are aftermarket upgrades for both engines, diesel always seems to cost much more than gas.

I also understand that the diesel would out performance the V6. Cost I think will still be a sticking point to Sales. People who come on the lot will look at the V8 versus Diesel and I think will go V8. GM has never marketed Diesel well. It sells to Diesel people, but any benefits are never covered nor is the dealership really understand it to sell either. I just do not see Diesel conquest sales to people who want minimal maintenance and thinking of what they need to do.

Diesel fuel, Urea filling of the tank, that now makes two things to do compared to just regular gas. I just do not see people converting from gas to Diesel as they once might have done. The ability to go diesel in America has been missed by the auto companies.

• Disagree 1

21 hours ago, David said:

Gotta Love this GMC picture of showing the WHOLE family of Trucks and SUV/CUV in AT4 Premium Off-Road package as a lineup for 2021.

AT4 models are engineered to add an extra level of capability and technology tailored to customers’ wants and needs. That vision is consistent across all AT4 models and the level of capability matches the needs of customers in each segment. Professional Grade engineering highlights of the AT4 lineup include:

• Sierra AT4 offers a 2-inch factory lift, skid plates, Rancho® monotube shocks, a standard MultiPro Tailgate, available Carbon Fiber Bed and available Mud-Terrain tires.
  • Sierra HD AT4 features an off-road suspension, skid plates, Rancho shocks®, a standard MultiPro Tailgate and up to 15 innovative camera views* that helps benefit not just trailering, but visibility over rough terrain and in tight corners.
  • Acadia AT4 features an Advanced Twin-Clutch AWD System for increased capability on mixed surfaces, All-Terrain tires and Traction Select with Off-Road Mode.
  • Canyon AT4 comes standard with off-road tuned suspension, an automatic locking rear differential and 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac® tires. (available Spring 2020)
  • Yukon AT4 offers air suspension with 4 inches of adjustability, an electronic limited-slip differential and a 15-inch head-up display. (available Summer 2020)
  • Terrain AT4 will feature a rugged exterior, confident capability and advanced technology. (available Fall 2020)

About GMC

2021-GMC-AT4-Family.jpg

https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jan/0115-at4-lineup.html

I saw a bit of a misprint.  Do they mean NOW or Spring / Summer / Fall of 2021?

9 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I saw a bit of a misprint.  Do they mean NOW or Spring / Summer / Fall of 2021?

Between now and the end of the year, these will come out as each model rolls into the 2021 versions. Some already have an AT4 version, others will come out later this year.

By the end of this year all GMC models should have an AT4 version.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David said:

image.png

image.png

This is the cheap way out for GM, especially at the price points of some of these larger vehicles.  That's far from a two-tone tan and it doesn't look good.  It's so you can match it up to any exterior color choice more easily and the factory order parameters will let it fly.  A true two-tone tan and two-tone gray would look good, but much different from what's shown in these photos.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Seems like GM really cheaps out on interior color choices unless you spring for an Cadillac higher trim or Corvette...too many blah black and dark gray cave interiors..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Seems like GM really cheaps out on interior color choices unless you spring for an Escalade or Corvette...too many blah black and dark gray cave interiors..

And then, it's a miss on some of the old school colors they want to bring back - they (Fusion, Malibu, etc.) had/have this somewhat orange "brick" color for a while and, instead of a bringing back a good maroon or burgundy for interiors (Corvette, Challenger, etc.), it's closer to red.  The automakers have done a better job of bringing back blue interiors - FoMoCo (Lincoln), to name one.

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

And then, it's a miss on some of the old school colors they want to bring back - they (Fusion, Malibu, etc.) had/have this somewhat orange "brick" color for a while and, instead of a bringing back a good maroon or burgundy for interiors (Corvette, Challenger, etc.), it's closer to red.  The automakers have done a better job of bringing back blue interiors - FoMoCo (Lincoln), to name one.

Lincoln has a nice selection of interior color choices. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

That is still a drab looking interior...

The black in that is lifeless.

Am I supposed to feel special just because I got to spend a lot of (my) money on lime green edges and French stitching? 

The rest of that interior looks like a prison. Very depressing.  

Now...if the majority of that interior came with a little bit of colour. Like lets say, the window trim areas...

If you take a looksie of where it says "Trim", the offerings are only black, white, gray and brown.   Pretty phoquing basic to me.   Doncha think the interior of the Mercedes would be more fun had the TRIMS been offered in that lime green as well? 

Yesterday, I was at my daughter's /mine  softball game and a parent recently bought a 1956 Mercury Monterey. (6 months ago and yes he took me on a small ride around the block)  Two tone blue and white.  The interior matched the exterior.  The interior had all kinds of baby bluish/electric blue accents on the door, dash, carpets, upholstery mixed in with white parts as well.... 

That Mercedes interior, DESPITE the LIMEGREEN seating bolsters and French stitching  is very very drab and depressing. Like a prison...

The car, like this

1956 mercury | 1956 Mercury - Owner: Mr.Egill Ágústsson - Iceland -  Motorspot, Inc ... | Mercury cars, American classic cars, Ford classic cars

1955 Mercury Monterey - Interior Pictures - CarGurus

The problem, in my honest opinion, is not only the lack of upholstery colour pallette, but of the ENTIRE interior as well.  Too many trims are just that awful black plastic.  

I guess when the interior door trims were actually metal, it was EASIER and CHEAPER to just paint them the SAME exterior colour than with todays plastic and rubber interior trims. Much more expensive to have hues in plastics and rubber I guess. 

Edited by oldshurst442

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

That is still a drab looking interior...

The black in that is lifeless.

Am I supposed to feel special just because I got to spend a lot of (my) money on lime green edges and French stitching? 

There are 23 other options, you don't have to get black and green. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

There are 23 options, you don't have to get black and green. 

Yeah, that lime green is gross...like athletic wear or something.   I do like the cranberry red and black two tone option.

I like these Lincoln Aviator interiors..some dark trim, but lots of light..

2020-lincoln-aviator-dashboard-carbuzz-419060.jpg

2020_lincoln_aviator_interior-1200x900.jpg

This Cadillac XT5 interior isn't bad either.  Light interior w/ a big sunroof would be optimal. (I like lots of light in a climate w/ a lot of cloudy days).  

2019_Cadillac_XT5_2.jpg

• Like 3