Random Thoughts Thread

18 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:
There has been a "cancel culture" every decade, for the last 70 years (or more

Maybe. But I wonder (can’t think right now of examples from way back) if those were more cancellations of recent things, rather than that of things that had been around for 50-150 yeara, like it seems to be mostly now. 

I completely believe, using “logic” already displayed in this circus tent, that there are conversations saying ‘we need to change the name of the nation because slavery was conducted under it’, and with plenty of ‘manufactured rage’.

• Agree 1

Wood Prices are crazy and as such, my wife spotted these 5 pallets of which 4 of them were 4x6 based, 12ft long and one is a 8ft pallet.

Will use this to build her a couple of tables for the backyard.

20210309_125712.jpg

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Be cautious- a lot of pallets are treated with nasty chems to prevent rot.

Lucky for me, Washington state requires burn tagging of wood source and chemicals. The pallets began as trees in Washington, cut down, sent to Korea, created into pallets that were used to ship stainless steel back to this company. Over all for a couple tables, should be good as I will sand it all down after creating them. Will update you all with some pictures once I get going on the project.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Be cautious- a lot of pallets are treated with nasty chems to prevent rot.

Or haul pesticides or other nasty chemicals. I don't allow them in the work shop for that reason.

1 hour ago, David said:

Lucky for me, Washington state requires burn tagging of wood source and chemicals. The pallets began as trees in Washington, cut down, sent to Korea, created into pallets that were used to ship stainless steel back to this company. Over all for a couple tables, should be good as I will sand it all down after creating them. Will update you all with some pictures once I get going on the project.

Excellent

When the Habs win...Im all proud (of Montreal...not of the Habs)  but when they lose...Im freakin' ecstatic.  (For the Habs losing, not so much for the city...)  

And when I come across a gem like this...Im exploding with JOY! 

Yeah Gallagher! Go phoque yourself!   

But then I immediately remember that THE Bruins super pest is best friends with Gallagher...  

homer-doh-squarered | Homer doh, Simpsons art, Homer

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, David said:

Stinky city

Never been to Paris...  But...Id say not more stinky than say, NYC in the 1980s and 1990s(which I have been to multiple times) .  Or Athens (Greece).  Athens is no longer stinky though. 

8 hours ago, David said:

stinky people, who the heck only baths once or twice a week.

Ah....Europeans at their finest.  Europeans in general, at least from the 1970s-1990s were all like that. 

Did you know that they made fun of North Americans for taking daily showers?  

Well they did! 

But that too is no longer true as Europeans today DO shower daily as we do in North America.

8 hours ago, David said:

Food is Meh

Well...that is certainly subjective.  And you are entitled to that opinion.  Food in Paris is probably lethally expensive. But hey!  THAT is part of the Parisian experience of paying an arm and a leg for your food and to socialize with rude and arrogant local yokels!  

7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I want to explore rural france, Mt St Michael, and ride the french rail system. Also, a number of military battlefields I would like to visit. 

YES!

I would like to visit The French Riviera and Northern France for the WW1 and WW2 military history myself!

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

PIGS - Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain

YES!

Greece is that one place that if I only had the choice to visit one country ever...Greece would be the one that Id choose, even if Ive been there many many times.  

However...Id like to add Great Britain to that list. France. Germany. 

And of course ITALY!  Which youve mentioned. But I needed to repeat!  And of course Id love to visit ALL of Italy. From North to the South. The Boot. From the East Coast to the West Coast not forgetting the middle as we all know, Italy is so diverse in its history and landscape and what the country and its people have to offer. 

But that is only a part of Europe.    There are other countries in Europe Id like to visit.  

Then there is Asia.  Shyte.... Where do I begin in explaining what country Id like to visit in Asia???!!!  

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Or haul pesticides or other nasty chemicals. I don't allow them in the work shop for that reason

used outside I would be fine with. But even cutting/sanding them is iffy; you just don’t know. I don’t trust a lot of material handled thru that part of the globe. Just to save a handful of dollars?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

https://youtu.be/6AalhtzggrA

I love it... Columbus F150 driver gets pulled over for 116 mph...right in front of the Sawmill Road Ford Dealer.

Crazy, nice guy, but wow, so the cops cannot catch up to the truck. I think they need hellcats! :P 

17 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

IF that's the Cavi just build it into a big block powered pro stock clone with a tube chassis, the dash problems will disappear as a result...

This might prolong my life...

Borderline political, from MAD magazine 1968. As a child of the 1960's, I am disappointed that in a lot of ways we have not been able to honestly deal with and face the problems we faced then. Identity poltics is wrong from both the left and the right. The Hyper 3rd wave feminism and demonization of white people is just as bad as the demonization of blacks, gays, immigrants, or whomever. I want equal protection under the law for all Americans. 

And I want the cars of the sixties back. My boss just bought an infinity, she loves it, but compared to the 50's and 60's Pontiacs Balthazar posts up, it really sucks. 

44986034-2150669921617918-36421040705477

Yep, sadly it is the Cavvie. Damn GM and their $h!tty  clusters. You know it’s bad when there are like 10 stores on EBay to fix these things. Thought about someone professional to do this (don’t want to break dash pieces), the the labor was nuts! Some screws and a bunch of unclipping should get it out pretty easy. Looks like a 100-150 dollar repair if I do it myself... (according to the prices on EBay)

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, David said:

Crazy, nice guy, but wow, so the cops cannot catch up to the truck. I think they need hellcats! :P 

Chases very rarely happen in large metro areas like that. They mostly try to coordinate ahead of the chase these days. 

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^   Wouldnt Bruce Banner to Hulk smash  be Gamma?  As in Gamma ray?

Was it? I honestly do not remember. Need to go back and watch the hulk movies. :P 

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

If you didn't know about those late Road Runners, I'll guess you never saw the NASCAR variants

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 11.59.46 PM.png

Wow, nope never saw them, so this is kinda cool in a weird way.

The Wagoneers looks like they will be competitive with Ford and GM's beeg ones.   Interesting detail I noticed is the lack of Jeep badging, odd to see them not emphasizing the brand.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Grand Cherokee 2 row, which hasn't  been unveiled yet.

Edited by Robert Hall

9 hours ago, David said:

Was it? I honestly do not remember. Need to go back and watch the hulk movies. :P 

Gamma radiation.   I can still remember the opening credits...Dr Banner was testing gamma rays, then had a flat tire on his Celica during a storm.  Freaked out and became the hulk and flipped over his Celica.  (from the 1970s Incredible Hulk TV series I watched as a kid).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/9/2021 at 11:27 PM, David said:

They just have regular grade V6 Chargers. In the interest of not promoting street racing, I will refrain from repeating mostly true tales of my oldest son and his friends outrunning them...

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Gamma radiation.   I can still remember the opening credits...Dr Banner was testing gamma rays, then had a flat tire on his Celica during a storm.  Freaked out and became the hulk and flipped over his Celica.  (from the 1970s Incredible Hulk TV series I watched as a kid).

I remember that scene. 

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'FUNNYIDEE Harry is adjusting great to America. I've learned of a man called Urkel who asks "Have I done that?" about things which he has clearly just done.'

8 hours ago, David said:

Very cool car! :metal:

My dad had a 50, not as sleek as his first car. My mom dated a guy in high school briefly that had a 57 Golden hawk, similar verison of the same basic car. Good times from long ago. 

Good times from yesterday, my wife and I went hiking out in Yellow Springs near Dayton. 

No description available.

I really like the Ducati scrambler, but I think there are other bikes I like better. 

Bonneville, and not a Pontiac!

From hiking at Hargus lake

• Agree 2

Shelby Mustang!

May be an image of car and road

Blasphemy, but would take this over any GM or Mopar post war car. Still a Mustang guy at heart. 

Happy Thursday everyone. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Capitalization. Horse can't type. Needs new horse shoes on front hooves.
  • Agree 3

I believe the second part of this video, which starts at 6:10 happened at the Motorcycle dealer nearest my house. People seriously loosing their crap and yeloling at each other, extremely obese woman with a gun surrounded nby bikers. Trying to diffuse the situation rather than ramp it up has worked great for me for 55 years, obviously these folks don't understand that. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name

11 hours ago, David said:

image.png

This is hilarious ... the car and the people.  The get ups and hairstyles are dated, especially on that dude ... the glasses and that shirt that looks like a bumblebee.

This basic vehicle style could have run with a 225 slant 6, a 318 V8, or a 360 V8. This is probably a 360.

I get a kick out of the vaned rear quarter windows, a la colonnade Grand Am.

The front end even looks especially dowdy, like that of a Maverick!

• Agree 1

May be an image of text that says 'What the predator sees after chasing me for 12 seconds'

What it feels like to get old...

I so want to visit this place...

15 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

This is hilarious ... the car and the people.  The get ups and hairstyles are dated, especially on that dude ... the glasses and that shirt that looks like a bumblebee.

This basic vehicle style could have run with a 225 slant 6, a 318 V8, or a 360 V8. This is probably a 360.

I get a kick out of the vaned rear quarter windows, a la colonnade Grand Am.

The front end even looks especially dowdy, like that of a Maverick!

I miss the 70's though. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I miss the 70's though. 

Indeed.  Some here may see it differently, but I felt the '70s were a good chapter for GM.  Colonnade coupes sold like hot cakes.  And who could forget some of the trims and dashboards of that era, like the cool dashboard of a mid 70s Grand Le Mans coupe with all the circles and gauges ... and the crushed velour LJ trim level seating.  And that year they offered lime exteriors and some lime interior trim.  Fun times.

I periodically look at the colonnade coupes for that toy second car thing and am scared off by the prices I see.  So it's not just me who likes them!

1976-pontiac-lemans-wagon

One of my favorite dashboards of all time.  Note the inscription Grand Le Mans above the shifter and below the analog clock.  This unit is NOT air conditioned.  But oh so cool.

137879.jpg

This is the larger Grand Prix, for which they got into fancier seats.

0c3aa126a70c5e3c3047f76a61af604f.jpg

This appears to be a base Catalina from 1976, the year for lime trim  

Since GM wasted so much money to "duplicate" engines across divisions, they now have no money left over, or are too cheap, to put darker tan and darker gray dashboards and trim to go with their limited offerings of tan and gray seating, respectively.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Wagoneers looks like they will be competitive with Ford and GM's beeg ones.   Interesting detail I noticed is the lack of Jeep badging, odd to see them not emphasizing the brand.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Grand Cherokee 2 row, which hasn't  been unveiled yet.

Yeah, i noticed that too. Think that will be a major mistake if they don’t.

Also ready for the new GC.......

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, i noticed that too. Think that will be a major mistake if they don’t.

Also ready for the new GC.......

I just watched the 13+ min launch promotional video from Stellantis for the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer...very strange, not a single mention of Jeep or on screen during the video that I saw...  love the interior..the outside is pretty blocky, though I like the front end.

One idea I saw someone throw out on FB was that maybe Jeep is marketing Wagoneer as a sub-brand, kind of like how Range Rover is to Land Rover.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Motor1 has a great story on the C8 SuperVette.

1978 the Lambroghini Countach showed up with a 345mm or 13.5 inch wide tire. Current standard C8 Tire is 305 mm

image.png

image.png

To quote why they need these big wide tires:

Even with wide tires and rear-biased weight distribution, we suspect the new Z06 will still be traction-challenged. That's because a road-going version of the 5.5-liter DOHC V8 used in the C8.R is expected to arrive under the engine cover. The flat-plane-crankshaft mill will reportedly redline at 9,000 RPM and develop between 600 and 650 horsepower (447 and 485 kilowatts) in the process, but the tire torturing won't stop there. The next ZR1 will reportedly add turbochargers to this engine for 850 hp (634 kW), and of course, we have the Zora hybrid that could top 1,000 hp (746 kW).

We still expect to see the new C8 Z06 debut later this year as a 2022 model.

C8 Corvette Z06 Spied Wearing Massive Countach-Sized Rear Tires (motor1.com)

UBS has stated to forget the Chinese as their EV companies while still growing and will compete to a point will not be a top EV global sellar. UBS states that Tesla and VW will be the top two Global EV auto sellars by 2025.

Forget Nio and XPeng. This company and Tesla will be the top two electric-vehicle plays by 2025, says UBS. (msn.com)

• Agree 1