Random Thoughts Thread

No photo description available.

Not my work either but gorgeous. I know this is an automotive forum, but I am passionate about a lot of things, including furniture, inerior design, and woodworking. 

Interior view....

Again, NOT my work, NOT taking credit for someone elses work. Built by Drew Nelson. Major chops!

• Agree 4

This is my Wife's maternal Grandfather. He made crankshafts for ships. He would have been 114 yers old this week. 

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Spelling
  • Agree 4

I joined a genealogy site for a bit, and guess what; you can search all their archives for people named 'Pontiac Sales' and 'Cadillac Pontiac' and the like. Brings up (among other sources) high school yearbook ads of dealerships, sometimes with photos. Goodie for my Pontiac list!

The site automatically colorizes the old B&W pics, tho you can click a button to go back to B&W. Many of the colorized ones are awful- the software depends on a clear original and 'inetprets / guesses', but if the photo is too dark in areas it makes a mess of it. Great opportunity to compare the original with a guesswork version. I'll see if I can post a comparison...

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

r/TIHI - Thanks, I hate missing due dates

I wish I had a dollar for every time I'd had the bad dream that I've either missed a test or was late getting to one ... only to wake up and find out that everything is peachy and it's a new day.

Dream analysts seem to ascribe meaning to all sorts of bullsh!t ... and their analyses are probably just that.

• Agree 2

On 3/6/2021 at 9:38 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Speaking of Sesame Street.

THIS is why censorship is NOT a good idea.  And the way we politicize and weaponize words nowadays for our own hidden agendas, the truth just gets eroded away until there is no more truth...

This video was done with humour when the dude done it a decade plus ago.  But in 2021, its scary...    I laughed hard, but then I thought about it...and Im legit worried about what our future holds if we dont smarten up...

This is worse for those with a dirty mind.... 😉 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I am all for taking care of the environment, but this is jsut vile IMHO

Greenpeace Activists Vandalise Air France 777

https://samchui.com/2021/03/05/greenpeace-activists-vandalise-air-france-777/#.YEY7fGhKiUl

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I am all for taking care of the environment, but this is jsut vile IMHO

Greenpeace Activists Vandalise Air France 777

https://samchui.com/2021/03/05/greenpeace-activists-vandalise-air-france-777/#.YEY7fGhKiUl

What idiots they are! 🙄 Wonder if they used environmentally safe paint? If not then they are just adding to the problem. Course where was Security during this time? WOW, guess airport security will have a few heads chopped.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ykX said:

iSeeCars.com Longest-Lasting Cars to Reach 200,000 Miles and Beyond 2021

Longest-Lasting Cars to Reach 200,000 Miles and Beyond - iSeeCars.com

image.png.6b67ec959e6efae12e30968d84f263ea.png

I must be the exception because I have had several cars do this...

May be a black-and-white image of 4 people and car

Buick!

May be an image of car and outdoors

Matching Helmet...

May be an image of outdoors

For OCN....oir boldest member can go topless...

International truck...

• Agree 4

Saw this on the Greensboro, NC Craigslist. Its actually in Martinsville, VA but this is such a nice yet simple restore. I absolutely love everything about this truck.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/martinsville-1947-chevrolet-pickup/7287110504.html

1906856356_ScreenShot2021-03-08at5_05_29PM.thumb.png.4909ff46d3134032290a61981f80e464.png

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I must be the exception because I have had several cars do this...

May be a black-and-white image of 4 people and car

Buick!

Matching Helmet...

For OCN....oir boldest member can go topless...

International truck...

So many great and unique choices there. Bravo on the selection!

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

There has been way, way, WAY too much Meghan Markle on internet homepages lately.  Too much.  Some run of the mill people who create this demand need to get a life.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

They also needed to bicycle to the paint store & to the airport, and not ridden on any petroleum-leaching paved roads or any CO2-emitting concrete roads in doing so.

What are those bicycle tires made of?  What is the chain lubricated with?  What are the seat and handlebar grips made of?  Does it have the required reflectors?  Are they plastic?  They do not want to hear the truth.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

There has been way, way, WAY too much Meghan Markle on internet homepages lately.  Too much.  Some run of the mill people who create this demand need to get a life.

One good thing about living in Quebec is that...the French dont give two shytes about the Royals so its like they dont even exist. 

On the English media side however...  

Disapproval GIFs | Tenor

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

One good thing about living in Quebec is that...the French dont give two shytes about the Royals so its like they dont even exist. 

Good on the Quebecois.  The Gallic mindset, in general, is one I understand more easily than the mindset of the UK.

I've been to London once.  It didn't do it for me.  I've been to Paris twice.  It isn't as high on my list as places in the Mediterranean, but I'd happily go back and visit it again.  For one, you can't argue with the food ...

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

On the English media side however...  

Disapproval GIFs | Tenor

I dislike the Royals.

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Looks like I’m going to have to tear the dash up...

ED48A007-767B-4B16-8D1F-1FBD7B49B690.jpeg

IF that's the Cavi just build it into a big block powered pro stock clone with a tube chassis, the dash problems will disappear as a result...

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

hey-old-man-no-food-for-you.jpg

This might prolong my life...

Borderline political, from MAD magazine 1968. As a child of the 1960's, I am disappointed that in a lot of ways we have not been able to honestly deal with and face the problems we faced then. Identity poltics is wrong from both the left and the right. The Hyper 3rd wave feminism and demonization of white people is just as bad as the demonization of blacks, gays, immigrants, or whomever. I want equal protection under the law for all Americans. 

And I want the cars of the sixties back. My boss just bought an infinity, she loves it, but compared to the 50's and 60's Pontiacs Balthazar posts up, it really sucks. 

44986034-2150669921617918-36421040705477

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Good on the Quebecois.  The Gallic mindset, in general, is one I understand more easily than the mindset of the UK.

I've been to London once.  It didn't do it for me.  I've been to Paris twice.  It isn't as high on my list as places in the Mediterranean, but I'd happily go back and visit it again.  For one, you can't argue with the food ...

I want to do South America far more than anywhere in Europe. If I go to Europe, italy and Greece are high on my list. 

Interesting painting from 1973, while we are on the subject of older things...

Image for post

Untitled, Zdzislaw Beksinski, oil, 1973 (The ugly red creature conceals in the facade of catastrophic backdrop)

Sadest Corset, by the same artist. I like Art with dark themes. 

Image for post

More...

Image for post

Image for post

Image for post

Image for post

• Sad 1
  • Agree 3

This is from the late 900's/early 1000's. I finally found art as old as Balthazar....(or at least his profile pic).

Let's go on the 1000 AD diet! Fit for a king? | Foodimentary - National  Food Holidays

Good morning Balthy, now that it is warm I need to go to that junkyard that i missed when we dropped into cold weather. I have a motorcycle safety class on the weekend of the 20th/21st. Things should open up after that. 

Also, Dave (87 RS)...THIS is why you don 't stop with a simple dashboard repair. 

Also (enter sarcasm mode) make sure it burns alcohol, so we don't use any petroleum.....(exit sarcasm mode...)

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I disagree, when I worked for Microsoft, I had to spend a few times a year in France. Stinky city, stinky people, who the heck only baths once or twice a week. Food is Meh. Far more interesting places to go than Paris.

London, been there a few times, would rather spend time with my coworkers in Cork Ireland at a decent pub than in downtown london. Pubs were ok there, but way too much fried food for my liking.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I want to do South America far more than anywhere in Europe. If I go to Europe, italy and Greece are high on my list. 

Interesting painting from 1973, while we are on the subject of older things...

Image for post

Untitled, Zdzislaw Beksinski, oil, 1973 (The ugly red creature conceals in the facade of catastrophic backdrop)

Sadest Corset, by the same artist. I like Art with dark themes. 

Image for post

More...

Image for post

Image for post

Image for post

Image for post

Reminds me of my favorite movie series, Aliens and all things related to Aliens, predator, etc.

@A Horse With No Name In the tech world, I remember from my early days, "What would the Orange book say to do?"

image.png

Yet so many assumptions then are so wrong today! :P 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, David said:

I disagree, when I worked for Microsoft, I had to spend a few times a year in France. Stinky city, stinky people, who the heck only baths once or twice a week. Food is Meh. Far more interesting places to go than Paris.

London, been there a few times, would rather spend time with my coworkers in Cork Ireland at a decent pub than in downtown london. Pubs were ok there, but way too much fried food for my liking.

Reminds me of my favorite movie series, Aliens and all things related to Aliens, predator, etc.

@A Horse With No Name In the tech world, I remember from my early days, "What would the Orange book say to do?"

image.png

Yet so many assumptions then are so wrong today! :P 

Once again, Italy, South America, other palces more interesting than Paris or London. I want scenic natural beauty. Patagonia and rural South America has plenty. 

Truth for Tuesday, I love this Meme. 

Post image

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, David said:

I've had good experiences in Paris.  I found a pastry shop that was off the charts.  These phenomenal chocolate mousse squares for $3.60 in American money.  The locals can be pills.  Speaking the lingo seems to help.  People in the south of France, and definitely in Quebec, are quite a bit more hospitable.

I was in Dublin once.  The people were helpful and friendly.   It is a small but cosmopolitan city.   It wasn't compelling enough for me to go back.  I had gotten a phenomenal RT airfare in the off-season.

I've made a joke out of the acronym:  I'm into PIGS - Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain.  I will probably never tire of those countries.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I've had good experiences in Paris.  I found a pastry shop that was off the charts.  These phenomenal chocolate mousse squares for $3.60 in American money.  The locals can be pills.  Speaking the lingo seems to help.  People in the south of France, and definitely in Quebec, are quite a bit more hospitable.

I was in Dublin once.  The people were helpful and friendly.   It is a small but cosmopolitan city.   It wasn't compelling enough for me to go back.  I had gotten a phenomenal RT airfare in the off-season.

I've made a joke out of the acronym:  I'm into PIGS - Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain.  I will probably never tire of those countries.

Totally agree the south of france or pretty much any place outside the cities around vineyards is amazing.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

I had an exchange student from Portugal, and my Brother in law is of Portugese descent. Interesting place. 

58 minutes ago, David said:

Totally agree the south of france or pretty much any place outside the cities around vineyards is amazing.

I want to explore rural france, Mt St Michael, and ride the french rail system. Also, a number of military battlefields I would like to visit. 

May be an image of text that says 'MEASURE ONCE 4 5 hnhn CUT ONCE'

• Haha 2

May be an image of indoor and text that says 'There's a gap in the cabinets because of an angled sink. Countertops get installed on Monday'

My kids did a very realistic CSI style body outline with police notes before we put down the hardwood floor in the living room. Anyone pulls that up is going to get a surprise. 

Balthazar....you need to keep a few of these in that new GMC....!

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Hope you guys got any construction/ renovation projects done last year. Just came out of HomeDepot- last year a sheet of 1/2-in sheathing plywood was around $23 per. Today it’s

F3E84CC7-812C-4705-87C9-7764EF44638D.jpeg

Fires out west, a number of factors in high lumber prices. Thankfully, hardwood lumber has not taken the same rise in price. If anything, the trade war put the 86 on demand from China. So I can buy Walnut cheaply, but pay ten bucks for a two by four. 

33 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

My own creation, using a couple of old PowerMac G5 access panels (anodized aluminum), some 12" steel legs, a couple of pieces of wood (stained black), a few sheets of adhesive matte black vinyl, and a USB led strip under the top. An end table to match my console table.IMG_8519.thumb.jpeg.7e617625544f387af7b48529214484f2.jpeg 

IMG_8394.thumb.jpeg.797662b8f4ff3891f1cb836c45eeaa36.jpeg

IMG_8521.thumb.jpeg.a58476eff2a1c6ce17477388b6a2a914.jpeg

I like it!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Tired of the identity politcs of the left, right, and everywhere. Tired of manufactured rage....find this meme hugely funny. 

May be an image of text that says 'Dr Seuss's legacy estate publisher: We're ceasing printing of 6 books that no one's even heard of People who haven't read a Dr Seuss book in 40 years: Help! Help! Help!Hep!!mbeingrssed! I'm being repressed!'

• Haha 2

I don’t think it’s quite ‘rage’ for the most part, but it certain is staggeringly pointless. I’m reminded of the adage ‘they came for my neighbor; I didn't say anything...’ or however that goes exactly.

The whole ‘cancel it I’m offended’ had it’s 15 mins of fame, now it’s just completely boring ( in addition to staggeringly pointless).

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I don’t think it’s quite ‘rage’ for the most part, but it certain is staggeringly pointless. I’m reminded of the adage ‘they came for my neighbor; I didn't say anything...’ or however that goes exactly.

The whole ‘cancel it I’m offended’ had it’s 15 mins of fame, now it’s just completely boring ( in addition to staggeringly pointless).

There has been a "cancel culture" every decade, for the last 70 years (or more). Utterly ridiculous from front to back (with a few exceptions).

• Agree 3