Random Thoughts Thread

34 minutes ago, David said:

Moto2 is an unconventional motor for a bike. 

Moto2™ Engine | For the Ride (triumphmotorcycles.com)

OLD, :roflmao:

Priceless...

So very old engine design....hmmm...I wonder who might build two wheeled vehicles with an ancient engine design. Maybe Packard building Merlin engines could Imply a Euro company that built things in America...and also built motorcycles...hmmmmm..

Breakfast was also a clue...

Beating you before breakfast 🍳🥐.

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Priceless...

So very old engine design....hmmm...I wonder who might build two wheeled vehicles with an ancient engine design. Maybe Packard building Merlin engines could Imply a Euro company that built things in America...and also built motorcycles...hmmmmm..

Breakfast was also a clue...

Beating you before breakfast 🍳🥐.

Sadly I have very limited motorcycle knowledge so even using google and bing, I have not found any thing except about the merlin motorcycle company that is dead.

Merlin Motorcycles (cybermotorcycle.com)

Found this on Wiki and yes I am admitting defeat and seeing what sticks to the wall! :P 

France[edit]

Germany[edit]

Italy[edit]

12 hours ago, ykX said:

I bought them once, they are crap

Thank you.  I will return them, then.

They are now back to giving samples inside small paper bags through a plexiglass box office type slot.  It's great that they are trending back to the Costco lunch.  It's just that the current samples are small!

I'll just buy Bosch wipers again when that time comes around.  I've done well with the Bosch wipers before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Again.

Further update:

Credit Union approved the loan.

Deposit has been sent to seller.

Plans are in the works to travel to Alabama to get it on April 10th.

This will be the first non-American vehicle I will purchase. Import brand and built in its home country.

Edit: This is an addition to the fleet. Nothing is being replaced. 

It has an uncommon but not unheard of engine configuration. However, this engine is legendary in its own segment.

BMW bike?

5 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I'll just buy Bosch wipers again when that time comes around.  I've done well with the Bosch wipers before.

Yes, I usually buy Bosch Icon.  They are expensive but work very well and last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ykX said:

BMW bike?

Yes, I usually buy Bosch Icon.  They are expensive but work very well and last.

I think we have a winner. Both in your guess and what he bought. 

This looks menacing, even past its prime....from FB marketplace...

May be an image of car and outdoors

No photo description available.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

@ykX gets it!

I but my deposit down on this 2019 BMW R9T Scrambler with 2900m on the clock. Heated grips, advanced stability control, ABS, cruise, luggage accessories. It has an 1170cc air/oil cooled flat twin boxer engine. The BMW boxer design goes back to the 1920s and was also used in aircraft.

As far as bikes go, these are torque monsters for their size, and in fact have a slight issue with twisting under hard throttle. It’s the biggest CC I could buy in a standard bike under 500lbs. which means I can put it on the hitch of the Avalanche without needing a trailer ( though this trip will be completed with a U-Haul).

I have to sort out some logistics with PA DMV here first, but I’m planning on driving down to Huntsville AL on April 9th to pick it up on the 10th.

79BD2D66-5440-4E0E-9E08-817479247588.jpeg
2B12AB11-2C86-4C4D-B96E-B82662F8DB5C.jpeg

082DA676-A64C-42B3-B5D9-23544FEB852C.jpeg

There was a reason I was using aircraft as a clue...sweet bike. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

My eyes are feasting on that immaculate '84+ Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe back by the fence dressed up in black (looks good on this particular car) and with alloy wheels.  Beautiful.

Today, and especially today, one doesn't need to drive an EV to go green.

Corned-Beef-Hash-and-Eggs_exps5360_TH.CW

Happy St. Patrick's Day, C&G folks.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ykX said:

@Drew Dowdell Great looking bike.  I love the look of standard naked bikes.

Congrats!

I like them also. 

Funny at about 1:15.....Mustangs usually hit pedestrians, they can choose to hit us too....

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@ykX gets it!

I put my deposit down on this 2019 BMW R9T Scrambler with 2900m on the clock. Heated grips, advanced stability control, ABS, cruise, luggage accessories. It has an 1170cc air/oil cooled flat twin boxer engine. The BMW boxer design goes back to the 1920s and was also used in aircraft.

As far as bikes go, these are torque monsters for their size, and in fact have a slight issue with twisting under hard throttle. It’s the biggest CC I could buy in a standard bike under 500lbs. which means I can put it on the hitch of the Avalanche without needing a trailer ( though this trip will be completed with a U-Haul).

I have to sort out some logistics with PA DMV here first, but I’m planning on driving down to Huntsville AL on April 9th to pick it up on the 10th.

Damn, I was too late to the party as once I read BMW bike I thought the oposing twins and that you have been wanting a R nine T. Beautiful bike and ocngrats!

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I get that this is funny, but that's Pope Benedict... the retired Pope who always has a handsome younger secretary in tow. 

Right.  It is Benedict, now that I look.  Ratzinger was an untimely and uptight Pope from the stereotypical "old school" Germanic mold.

Popes are not supposed to "retire."  He's still kicking.  The Vatican does a lot of hushed things.  

They educated me for 16 years - grade school, high school, and undergraduate.  Instead of German uptightness, I got treated to some nasty Irish nuns.  I try to laugh about it and still celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ykX said:

Sabine Schmitz, Queen of the Nurburgring and Former Top Gear Presenter,  Dies at 51

Sabine Schmitz, Queen of the Nurburgring and Former Top Gear Presenter, Dies at 51 (thedrive.com)

Whoever watched Top Gear old and new, knows she had great personality and was a terrific race driver. She will be missed.

Just last week I watched the episode where she taught Clarkson how to drive the Nurburgring. Damn, that's a shame... 

• Agree 4

I get that this is funny, but that's Pope Benedict... the retired Pope who always has a handsome younger secretary in tow. 

Well...you had Roman emperors who had younger male lovers...the catholic church is the clerical extension of the roman empire...only makes sense. 

May be an image of 5 people and text that says 'The actual people from *THAT* meme, 10 years on'

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Sabine Schmitz, Queen of the Nurburgring and Former Top Gear Presenter,  Dies at 51

Sabine Schmitz, Queen of the Nurburgring and Former Top Gear Presenter, Dies at 51 (thedrive.com)

Whoever watched Top Gear old and new, knows she had great personality and was a terrific race driver. She will be missed.

Carpe Diem, sieze the day. 

Speaking of motorcycles, Ducati V4 opened up....

Obligatory cool B and W shot for Balthazar...

May be an image of railroad

Green Vette for St Patricks day...

May be an image of car

Pure art...

More art...

For Robert Hall and T.C Bob...

Something Patriotic and positive for "blu...

May be an image of motorcycle

All the love Drew's Toro will get now that he has a BMW bike...

May be an image of outdoors

Neat!

May be an image of car

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have four grand too bad local Olds dealer is closed...

May be an image of 1 person, car and text

Lots of neat Iron here...

May be an image of road

I know some of you don't like yellow cars, but some rides look good in any color...

May be an image of outdoors and text

Life is a drag...

May be an image of car and road

Retro and cool...

More Cadillac love...

Random bike pic just because I liked the photography...

May be an image of motorcycle and road

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Ultimate double Standard org out of Italy! :P 

• Agree 1

WOW 🤯 Due to supply chain shortages, Honda has shutdown pretty much all Canada and US auto production for the next week and could be extended depending on when parts become available.

Exclusive: Honda temporarily cutting production at all U.S., Canada plants | Reuters

I would be very cautious about buying an auto built over the last couple weeks and the next few weeks.

10 minutes ago, David said:

WOW 🤯 Due to supply chain shortages, Honda has shutdown pretty much all Canada and US auto production for the next week and could be extended depending on when parts become available.

Exclusive: Honda temporarily cutting production at all U.S., Canada plants | Reuters

I would be very cautious about buying an auto built over the last couple weeks and the next few weeks.

You won't have to be... the costs of all autos is increasing dramatically. So much so that even Hyundai and Kia dealers are putting $10,000 of superfluous upcharges on the Palisade and Telluride. 

Did you ever think you'd see the day where a big Kia crossover could have Additional Dealer Markup slapped on it?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Very nice choice in bike!!!

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You won't have to be... the costs of all autos is increasing dramatically. So much so that even Hyundai and Kia dealers are putting $10,000 of superfluous upcharges on the Palisade and Telluride. 

Did you ever think you'd see the day where a big Kia crossover could have Additional Dealer Markup slapped on it?

Yep, and it is now effecting their Equinox production down in Mexico as well. Going to be an interesting summer!!

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Yep, and it is now effecting their Equinox production down in Mexico as well. Going to be an interesting summer!!

Makes one rethink about getting rid of an old auto you are happy with and refreshing it with modern tech be it ICE or EV, just refreshing it is way cheaper than buying a new one. Crazy never thought I would see this happen this way. Pandemic is really hitting hard, I wonder if the 1918/1919 Influenza did the same thing? I bet so. 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

People love them. Woodworking friend of mine has a Palisade, is gaga over it. 

49 minutes ago, David said:

Makes one rethink about getting rid of an old auto you are happy with and refreshing it with modern tech be it ICE or EV, just refreshing it is way cheaper than buying a new one. Crazy never thought I would see this happen this way. Pandemic is really hitting hard, I wonder if the 1918/1919 Influenza did the same thing? I bet so. 🤔

Ask Baltahzar, he lived through it as a teenager. 

1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

Everyone is being hit hard. Woodworking tools are all on back order. A hand plane I ordered at Christmas just came in Monday, buying a Festool Domino, it is scheduled for July delivery. Economy may well pick up with demand when things get back to normal. 

• Haha 1

I feel like I'm being taunted today by being pelted with "colonnades."  That's ok.  Bring it on!

- - - - -

For lunch today, I had a corned beef and swiss cheese omelette, potatoes, and sourdough toast with strawberry jam.

And, FYI, (it might be app or sent via e-mail or text) IHOP is featuring a two stack of green pancakes for $ 1 for at least the rest of the day.

I ought to work at being less cheap.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Speaking of motorcycles, Ducati V4 opened up....

That is one DUMB AND DUMBER SET OF GEARS. Ducatis have a desmodromic valvetrain -- where the valves are opened AND closed by cam followers without the use of springs -- which is dumb enough given that their motors DO NOT rev higher than competing designs while having very destructive behaviors when are out of spec due to poor adjustment or wear. Piston speeds rather than valve float are is the rpm limiting factor in modern engines; nobody else uses desmodromic valvetrains because it sucks! But, driving the cams exclusively via spur gears is dumber than dumb. This is heavier and higher friction than with a roller chain or belt drive. Do they last longer? Theoretically they might, but with chain drives rated for 300,000 miles and most motorcycles seeing less than 30,000 it is totally unnecessary. To make matters worse, when chains or belts wear (they stretch a tiny bit) a tensioner keeps everything tight and slop free. When gears wear (as everything wears) there is no way to take the slop out without replacing them.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@ykX gets it!

I put my deposit down on this 2019 BMW R9T Scrambler with 2900m on the clock. Heated grips, advanced stability control, ABS, cruise, luggage accessories. It has an 1170cc air/oil cooled flat twin boxer engine. The BMW boxer design goes back to the 1920s and was also used in aircraft.

Effin' awesome bike! 

Love the colour combo.  The grey tank with the tan leather seat.   I was never into speed bikes.  Maybe a Hayabusa in the early 2000s.  I was not really into Harleys either but the V-Rod (and later Night Rod with any other variant) got my interest.    I was always fascinated with that Triumph I mentioned earlier.  But Im really not a bike guy.  

To continue my life story on my interest in bikes anecdotes,  a good client of mine at the restaurant (he has since moved on, to a different province...British Columbia) had a Yamaha V Max, hence why I know about it,  and I started falling in love with these types of bikes.  Half cruisers, half speed bikes , I guess is what they are?! 

And Im assuming your motorcycle also falls into that category?  

Anyway, If Im ever to buy a motorcycle, (which is probably never) Id buy something like you have right now. Or a V-Rod/Night Rod, or a Triumph Bonneville or one of those new retro TR6 Trophys) 

Enjoy it this summer, hopefully we will all be vaccinated by then and you could take a trip up here in Quebec...

PS:  If you hadnt figured it out yet about me, I would have NEVER guessed what motorcycle you bought.   

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, David said:

The more I see what is going on, the more likely I will end up keeping my Equinox. I think I’d have a much better chance buying it, rather than wondering if there will be something, or if I would overpay. I also expect used car prices to jump again too. At least I have a buyout quote at the end- will be much cheaper than buying something else used.. Of course maybe a tiny amount of the stimulus might go toward the down payment as well.. 😉 (already have money aside in case I wanted to keep it)

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have the U-haul reserved, but I'm debating if I will go buy ramps instead and put it in the bed for the trip back.

Is it too far to just have a road trip and ride it back?

23 minutes ago, ykX said:

Is it too far to just have a road trip and ride it back?

2 problems with that, though the idea sounds amazing. 

1. Its a 10+ hour trip non-stop. I haven’t ridden regularly in 20+ years, and only once or twice a year since I got my motorcycle license 4 years ago. I think tackling a trip that long on my first road bike wouldn’t be wise.

2. I won’t have a plate for it until I get it back to PA.

I did find the Mototote I wanted at a very good price last night, so I’ll be getting that and canceling the U-Haul. I didn’t want ramps really, I was just looking for an alternative to the U-Haul. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Wouldn't it be easier to have the dealer there ship it to a dealer in your area?  Or this a private party purchase? 

Private purchase. And I want to have the bike in my hands before I hand over the check.

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I may get pricing on what it might cost to have the tank vinyl wrapped.... just because I'm Extra, I might try and get it in a scheme that would match my truck. 

You'd certainly be 1 of 1. Nobody else in the world is wrapping their BMW motorcycle tank to match their 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche. 🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You'd certainly be 1 of 1. Nobody else in the world is wrapping their BMW motorcycle tank to match their 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche. 🤣

Sorta kinda?

BMW does make the R nine T in a very similar color to my Avalanche.

bmw-rnine-t-5-1.jpg

But that's not the Scrambler and I wanted the Scrambler.

If I do it it will be blue and chrome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorta kinda?

BMW does make the R nine T in a very similar color to my Avalanche.

bmw-rnine-t-5-1.jpg

But that's not the Scrambler and I wanted the Scrambler.

If I do it it will be blue and chrome.

Blue is my favorite color.  But I like my combination better: blue and gunmetal grey :)

PXL_20201223_200724166.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

Blue is my favorite color.  But I like my combination better: blue and gunmetal grey :)

PXL_20201223_200724166.jpg

fe0f55e75ad443ebbf816aed8393bf82.jpg

My Avalanche has these chrome body strips that were added by the previous owner and I quite like them now.  That and the chrome wheels would need to match for the bike if I do this. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

The more I see what is going on, the more likely I will end up keeping my Equinox. I think I’d have a much better chance buying it, rather than wondering if there will be something, or if I would overpay. I also expect used car prices to jump again too. At least I have a buyout quote at the end- will be much cheaper than buying something else used.. Of course maybe a tiny amount of the stimulus might go toward the down payment as well.. 😉 (already have money aside in case I wanted to keep it)

Totally agree with your thinking, you know how the auto has been cared for and all the quirks if any, better to buy it out than buy an unknown used. Nice is that you can always if you so choose upgrade the head unit with a modern one if you want the latest Blue Tooth Android/Apple play system and anything else not currently in your auto.

I love the Pioneer head unit I have in my SS, so nice to have my phone connected in the auto.

• Thanks 1

Seems Toyota spending Billions on Hydrogen R&D and focusing on Hybrids is now catching up to them as they have now pleaded to the current administration in DC that pushing a pure EV plan for the country will hurt not help people. As such it would seem that Toyota is one of the largest sellers to the US Government of ICE and Hybrid and with no EV on the horizon, the real fact is they are late to the party and will be late causing them to have a miss on sales as other OEMs have focused on moving to pure EV product lines by the end of the decade.

Toyota now finds itself behind the 8 ball in competing with Nissan, Korean, European and US auto companies who have all committed to going pure EV rather than Hybrid. These same companies currently see Hydrogen as a better use case for Hybrid Semi Trucks allowing clean electric Semi's burning Hydrogen with water waste for the long haul than consumers driving Hydrogen auto's.

Toyota lobbies US government in its increasingly delusional effort to slow down electric vehicles - Electrek

Toyota then teases about their first new EV that will be shown off at the Shanghai motor show this year April 21st to 28th.

Toyota teases its first electric SUV - Electrek

Toyota also announced that they will have 2 BEVs and 1 new Hybrid to announce in the US market.

Toyota announces 2 electric cars coming to the US this year - Electrek

Course this all could be to help white wash the fact that they were just fined $180 million for emission lies about how clean their auto's are.

Quote: Toyota delayed required filings about emissions defects and failed to inform the EPA about progress on recalls related to emissions defects. This resulted in higher emissions, higher costs for consumers, and greater profit for Toyota.

Toyota's greenwashing leads to record $180m fine for emissions lies - Electrek

Toyota also has stated they will unveil their worlds fastest charging solid state auto batteries. Allowing EV's to recharge to full in 10 min.

image.png

Toyota to unveil electric car with 10-min fast-charging solid-state battery next year - Electrek

Should be an interesting year for the auto industry with so many announcements of new product.

As 1 of the top 4 auto corporations by sales, I think toyoter is actually being the most realistic about the near future market. 
No mass market OEM is going to be 100% electric by 2030, sales are still catastrophically low overall, and toyoter's pace (WRT the reported 2025 BE models) is fine, time-wise, to enter the so-called "party".

• Agree 3

@oldshurst442  as a random aside, I kept looking at the photo in your post footer and thinking it looked familar--appears to be of Athens, but the color and lighting kind of remind me of an album cover of a favorite album of mine, 'Forth' by the Verve.  Not really that similar, but it was reminding me I need to listen to that album again...been a while.

6c56129e24c7e3d8995053ba3fb89849.jpg

Forth_cover.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1