Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, David said:

Better start slathering it on every 2 to 3 hrs to sanitize yourself! ;)

Due to inflation, 30K auto's seem to be the new 15K entery level auto of the past decades. I honestly would not be surprised to see 22,500 to 25,000 be your subcompact starting auto's due to all the electronics and safety requirements.

Pretty sure Ford is going to go with lifestyle over simple function on this one. They are not going to make money on base trucks, even though they will be made in Mexico. Personally I think they should have base trucks closer to 20k simply based for the fact they would sell quite well to small businesses, and many other businesses as well. Also sure this truck will also be sold in Mexico as well.....

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ykX said:

Upcoming Maverick dimensions spy shot

image.thumb.png.e11e5911c7989f965f0bdcf57b338fce.png

So a current Mustang is 188", so the Maverick is maybe 192-196 (looking the rears are about even, and maybe 4-6 inches of front beyond the Mustang) ?   Just eye-balling it..so maybe a 1 1/2 ft shorter than the Ranger (211").

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Pretty sure Ford is going to go with lifestyle over simple function on this one. They are not going to make money on base trucks, even though they will be made in Mexico. Personally I think they should have base trucks closer to 20k simply based for the fact they would sell quite well to small businesses, and many other businesses as well. Also sure this truck will also be sold in Mexico as well.....

The Ranger starts at $24,820 so it would have to be significantly below that to be worth it and that is a SuperCab so you already have a small 4 door option with the 2.3T. $28,675 if you want 4WD. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Upcoming Maverick dimensions spy shot

image.thumb.png.e11e5911c7989f965f0bdcf57b338fce.png

I could see this in my driveway next to the Ranger. 

Speaking of trucks, this one is even shorter, but cool. 

No photo description available.

Rolling along right behind that rig...

Small convoy of dump trucks following would be cool!

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The Ranger starts at $24,820 so it would have to be significantly below that to be worth it and that is a SuperCab so you already have a small 4 door option with the 2.3T. $28,675 if you want 4WD. 

I think I paid 26 or 27K with discounts for my truck which was decently equipped. For a brand new vehicle, hard to beat. Really would like to look at the Maverik as our next vehicle. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

A vehicle costing $15K in 2010 would cost (with annual added inflation increases); $18096 in 2019.

Then add in the greed of corporate executives and that easily gets pushed up to 22 to 25K. Crazy prices for sure.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I was stunned to see that, since the last time I went in (you know, no more Costco lunch), Costco now has self check-out.  It didn't take cash and I haven't been "following" Costco around with all their credit card changes.  But it is for those who have their VISA or want to use debit cards.  

* Windshield wipers by Michelin at Costco are currently $ 5.99 each.  I'm good for this season.  I bought a pair for next. *

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Then add in the greed of corporate executives and that easily gets pushed up to 22 to 25K. Crazy prices for sure.

Fiat money from the government is more the problem. You print a ton of money, it becomes less valuable. 

Read the inteeresting and sad tale of the 1933 double eagle gold coin...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I was stunned to see that, since the last time I went in (you know, no more Costco lunch), Costco now has self check-out.  It didn't take cash and I haven't been "following" Costco around with all their credit card changes.  But it is for those who have their VISA or want to use debit cards.  

* Windshield wipers by Michelin at Costco are currently $ 5.99 each.  I'm good for this season.  I bought a pair for next. *

The Costco's here in Washington seem to have flipped to self check out right after the pandemic hit last year. My Aurora and Lynnwood costco only have a few lanes for large scale purchases of stuff, otherwise everyone is self checkout. Crazy to see the tech challenged that are having a hard time checking themselves out. Business costco is the only place that has not installed self check out stations, wished they did but then I am not their normal shopper when you see so many flatbeds of product being bought. Ka-Ching Ching, the money flows there.

Some very cool news, Police now have a new Police edition Pickup Truck from Ford.

Police F-150 has been beefed up to handle continued use at 120MPH. It also has the following new features:

The pickup also features a new "police engine idle," which allows officers to remove keys from the ignition and securely exit the truck with the engine running with the touch of a button.

The new police pickup, like the consumer truck, features remote, or over-the-air, connectivity as well as data and telematics analysis to assist in vehicle uptime, running costs and driving behavior. Customers also can opt to order a vehicle without the front console between the driver and front passenger, which allows agencies to more easily install their own department-specific consoles.

image.png

VW has announced that they will get Close to Tesla within the next couple years and then where people say Tesla is the Apple of the Auto World, VW will be happy to be the Samsung of the Phone world for EV's Globally.

If Tesla Is the Apple of Electric Vehicles, Volkswagen Is Betting it Can Be Samsung (msn.com)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I bought them once, they are crap

Visibility is huge living in Ohio, i usually buy pricey wipers, they work well in the rain and snow. 

Beuatiful 65 Hemi Dodge Coronet...

May be an image of car

May be an image of car and outdoors

Local FB marketplace, for 38 grand it could be yours. 

May be an image of car

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I bought them once, they are crap

Are ya sure there were the Michelin? This year is the first for them from Costco as all years past they have been the crappy Goodyear windshield wipers.

I tried the Goodyears back in 2019 and they were so bad out of the box that I returned them only days later and left a comment about how crappy Goodyears wipers were. Seems many agree based on comments online.

Looked online for reviews and the Michelin seem to be a decent basic wiper.

Top 10 Best Windshield Wipers, 2021 (autoguide.com)

Other than tires and Mobil 1 oil when on rebate, I have not bothered to buy any auto stuff there. Use Bosch myself with RainX and they just last for years.

41 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I like Michelin tires, didn't realize they had Michelin-branded wiper blades.  I've used Bosch blades for years, they work great. 

I have also...

May be an image of text that says 'EVERY IS ONE TWENTY MINUTE JOB AWAY THREE FROM BROKEN BECOMING BOLT A ((CECCCELECCC DAY ORDEAL'

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, balthazar said:

F-150s don’t have ignition keys.

I know the top brands did not, but I thought this was something special to the police edition. 

Thank you @ccap41 for that additional info, that helps clarify the info in the story. Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

A thing might be being did. Negotiations have started, FaceTime video inspections have been done, insurance quotes have been obtained, credit union has been contacted.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Again??

Again.

Further update:

Credit Union approved the loan.

Deposit has been sent to seller.

Plans are in the works to travel to Alabama to get it on April 10th.

This will be the first non-American vehicle I will purchase. Import brand and built in its home country.

Edit: This is an addition to the fleet. Nothing is being replaced. 

It has an uncommon but not unheard of engine configuration. However, this engine is legendary in its own segment.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Rotary?  RX-8?     Probably not. 

Ill go with  inline 5. Maybe turbo.  

Tested: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Is a Flying Yellow Brick

It’s a 2019 and has only 2,400 miles on it. No turbos involved. Though it does use air slightly different than most other vehicles.

• Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

One of our members already knows what it is, so I’ll ask him to not tell for now. @A Horse With No Name

Dammit man, I already told them about the Reliant Robin that you and Albert bought for cruising Pittsburgh....

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It’s a 2019 and has only 2,400 miles on it. No turbos involved. Though it does use air slightly different than most other vehicles.

He means it's restored in 2019 and only has 2,400 flying hours on it. It's actually a Hawker Hurricane with a Merlin.  Not trechnically a completely British engine as Packard built the V 1650 as a wartime necessity.  

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

He means it's restored in 2019 and only has 2,400 flying hours on it. It's actually a Hawker Hurricane with a Merlin.  Not trechnically a completely British engine as Packard built the V 1650 as a wartime necessity.  

And yes, flying through the air means it does use air very differently than other vehicles. 

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Again??

Yes, another British vehicle. previously Drew bought a concourse Blower Bently, and cruised Pittsburgh.  One wonders when he will buy a proper American vehicle to join the Olds and the Avalanche. 

1929 Bentley 4 1/2 Litre - Blower Open Tourer by Graham Moss | Classic  Driver Market

31 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Rotary?  RX-8?     Probably not. 

Ill go with  inline 5. Maybe turbo.  

Tested: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Is a Flying Yellow Brick

What he bought has actual appeal to people over 30, and will actually stay running long enough to enjoy....rules out an RX-8. Besides, British Iron is so much sexier. 

• Haha 2

...and more reliable.....the worst British Triumph TR-4 from the 60's is indeed more reliable than the best RX-8 so...

Triumph TR 4, 1965 - Welcome to ClassiCarGarage

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Plans are in the works to travel to Alabama to get it on April 10th.

Okay, so the inbreeding of a Reliant Robin and a TR-4, got it...let's just hope it has wire wheels.

Since the Merlin was used in the Mustang, and I like Mustangs, Drew and I must be thinking alike. 

• Haha 1

Everything here is actually a clue... including the TR4.

Drew will have you beat before breakfast in that british sports car.. 

You could use astrology to figure it out. Jupiter travels. Simon and Garfunkel sang me and julio down by the schoolyard and I think about the most fun things I did as a kid.

Although none of this might be clues...I might just be insane.

I am batshit insane as I sit here at my piano and play. Billy Joel...might save sung about this...piano man...piano...a clue....

Billy Joel...it rains...it pours...and I go batshit and bark at the moon.

Motorcycle

Drew always wanted a motorcycle.

One clue is Triumph, right?

Triumph does indeed make motorcycles.

I do not know much about motorcycles therefore I do not know what motorcycle engine is legendary in its class other than I know that a Yamaha V Max is quite legendary. Harley Twin is legendary but American so no bueno with the clues given and the Hayabusa is also legendary. But that means a Ninja is also legendary.  I still go with Triumph. 

What Triumph motorcycle though is another question that I wont be able to answer.  Other than the TR6R that I love from Triumph and their retro model they did a few years ago, I dont know much...  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Figure the rest out....

You may or may not be on the right path. But everything is a clue... including "piano."

Mustang...Drew and I thinking alike is a clue.

Packard building merlin engines is a huge clue.

Or I am insane.

Think about what Billy Joel was doing when he was singing Piano Man. Huge clue.

Drew always wanted a bike to carry on the Avalanche when he road trips, so either a Triumph bike or a Japanese bike. I would take the Yamaha bike over a Triumph IMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Motorcycle

Drew always wanted a motorcycle.

One clue is Triumph, right?

Triumph does indeed make motorcycles.

I do not know much about motorcycles therefore I do not know what motorcycle engine is legendary in its class other than I know that a Yamaha V Max is quite legendary. Harley Twin is legendary but American so no bueno with the clues given and the Hayabusa is also legendary. But that means a Ninja is also legendary.  I still go with Triumph. 

What Triumph motorcycle though is another question that I wont be able to answer.  Other than the TR6R that I love from Triumph and their retro model they did a few years ago, I dont know much...  

You stumbled on several parts of several clues and ran roughshod right over them...

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

You stumbled on several parts of several clues and ran roughshod right over them...

Good comparison of the two for 2020 :P 

Spec Showdown: Triumph Rocket 3 Vs. Yamaha VMax (rideapart.com)

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, David said:

Hmmmmm hmmmmm....

5 minutes ago, David said:

Drew always wanted a bike to carry on the Avalanche when he road trips, so either a Triumph bike or a Japanese bike. I would take the Yamaha bike over a Triumph IMHO.

Clues are there to easily figure this out. 

Several WW2 aircraft have a feature similar to the motor in this...and no David it's not an EV.

• Haha 1

Hmmmmm hmmmmm....

Triumph surly has a very interesting air intake compared to the Yamaha, but I would still take a Yamaha over the Triumph IMHO.

Interesting comparison though from 2010 of their engines.

Triumph Rocket III Roadster vs. Yamaha Star VMax Comparision Test Review | Cycle World

• Agree 1

Don't discount Merlin and Packard.

Just now, David said:

Triumph surly has a very interesting air intake compared to the Yamaha, but I would still take a Yamaha over the Triumph IMHO.

Well...Yamaha does build Pianos...

But Pianos can play off key.

• Haha 1

Meh for me to Merlin and Packard, but your right!

The Most Powerful Cruisers In 2019 | Motorcycle Cruiser

Triumph and Yamaha are number 2, 1 in 2019 for cruisers.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Meh for me to Merlin and Packard, but your right!

The Most Powerful Cruisers In 2019 | Motorcycle Cruiser

Triumph and Yamaha are number 2, 1 in 2019 for cruisers.

They both build Epic motorcycles. My motorcycle safety class is this weekend 

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The unconventional engine configuration, but not unheard of, should be a clue.

The world war two aircraft engine thing should also be a clue.

• Agree 2

So if Drew got a 2019 Hayabusa I wonder if he might start to glow from the Iridium spark plugs? 🤔😆

Suzuki Cycles - 2019 Hayabusa - GSX1300R

Course Merlin Bike Gear would imply Triumph Motorcycle.

Merlin Motorcycle Clothing - Online Shop (merlinbikegear.shop)

• Agree 1

Let it be said that if anyone bought a Bonneville that wasn't a Pontiac Balthy would loose his crap....maybe it isn't a Triumph.

1 minute ago, David said:

So if Drew got a 2019 Hayabusa I wonder if he might start to glow from the Iridium spark plugs? 🤔😆

Suzuki Cycles - 2019 Hayabusa - GSX1300R

Course Merlin Bike Gear would imply Triumph Motorcycle.

Merlin Motorcycle Clothing - Online Shop (merlinbikegear.shop)

What does Merlin using Packard Imply?

Moto2 is an unconventional motor for a bike. 

Moto2™ Engine | For the Ride (triumphmotorcycles.com)

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Let it be said that if anyone bought a Bonneville that wasn't a Pontiac Balthy would loose his crap....maybe it isn't a Triumph.

What does Merlin using Packard Imply?

OLD, :roflmao:

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, David said:

Moto2 is an unconventional motor for a bike. 

Moto2™ Engine | For the Ride (triumphmotorcycles.com)

OLD, :roflmao:

Moto2 is an inline 3 and that can be had in any number of chevys or fords. 

The engine configuration is uncommon, but this engine itself is legendary, with roots going back further than the Chevy 350. 

• Thanks 2