Random Thoughts Thread

Reading on a GMC page where an owner of a 2015 model/70K miles is angry his truck's paint is starting to bubble over the front bumper, and 'this is why people leave GM'.

Took 1 second to find this toyoter owner complaining about the paint peeling off the door bottom of his 2018 tundra.... in 2019 (with 13K miles) - just peeling off in one sheet 

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 8.34.58 PM.png

• Agree 1

^^^

Was the owner pissed like the GM owner was and vowed to never own a Toyoter ever again?

2 weeks ago, I had a long conversation with an employee's dad about cars.  How his first car was a (forgot the year he told me) mid '70s Mustang II.  How he bought it used in 1982 or 1983 and how it was the shyttiest car he EVER owned.  (Keep in mind he told me it was his FIRST car ever...bought it used)

Never told me what the problem(s) were and THAT was his 1st and last Ford product he ever bought...but it was the shyttiest car he ever owned and just by THAT experience of owning a USED car, that he swore off Ford forever...since 1982 or 1983 on a used mid 1970s Mustang II.  

Okay, not that the Mustang II was a great car or anything...but he told me he bought a Sentra (from Nissan) and never has he strayed away from Nissan ever since.

Okay. A mid 1980s Sentra WAS a decent built car with minimal problems.  He at least admitted to me that he has had a couple of recent Nissans with CVT problems and an Altima that Nissan replaced the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder due to a recall in 2004 or 2005.  Most people glance over these things when dissing American cars and they talk about their Japanese or German cars they own...   BUT...

The problem is,  he was telling me about his Nissan problems like its a normal thing. His speech about Ford and you could see the hatred towards American cars, NOT just Ford. 

Like how I stated it to @smk4565 earlier, its too damned bad the high standards he continues to put on Ford and never has he returned to buy a NEW one,  that he doesnt hold that same high standard towards Nissan...

Its quite astonishing to see that kind of logic...

And its a logic that Im fed up with.   (yet another thing I dont like to see and hear about car culture)   Its frustrating. 

I apologize about the self hatin' American comments I made earlier.  But its quite puzzling to me that Americans hold those high standards on their home grown products (and rightfully so), but TOTALLY ignore the piece of shyte cars the foreign makes have peddled to us and some of us do NOT hold the foreign makes accountable like how we boycott the domestics...

On 10/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, balthazar said:

16420558-511E-4FA6-A136-45CB2C0AF181.jpeg

I love old Gassers. 

Olds pic for today, for sale on FB marketplace. Clean!

No photo description available.

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Reading on a GMC page where an owner of a 2015 model/70K miles is angry his truck's paint is starting to bubble over the front bumper, and 'this is why people leave GM'.

Took 1 second to find this toyoter owner complaining about the paint peeling off the door bottom of his 2018 tundra.... in 2019 (with 13K miles) - just peeling off in one sheet 

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 8.34.58 PM.png

Not a Tundra fan myself!

On 10/15/2021 at 12:44 PM, David said:

Chevy announced their FlagShip ZR2 Silverado bringing to 3 the OEM stock Raised Trucks. Wish I had time to write this up, but an awesome looking truck and the video's and additional pictures at the link below show GM is investing where it counts.

Key Points from the Press Release

• New flagship ZR2 delivers next-level off-road capability right from factory and validated in the grueling Best in the Desert off-road racing series, with front and rear e-lockers and Multimatic DSSV dampers  
  • Fully redesigned, new premium interior on LT and above with standard 13.4-inch-diagonal color touchscreen and elevated exterior design refresh across lineup
  • New tech, including available Super Cruise1 driver-assistance technology on High Country with available trailering (late availability) and standard Chevy Safety Assist on all-new enhanced trims
  • Enhanced 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine delivers 20 percent more torque and 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel max towing increased by 4,000 pounds to 13,300 

Highlights to the new 2022 Chevrolet Silverado include:

• A fully redesigned interior for LT, RST, LT Trail Boss, ZR2, LTZ and High Country trims featuring a redesigned, sweeping horizontal instrument panel that makes the cabin feel more spacious, along with a new, more functional center console (with available electronic shift control on most trim levels)
  • A 13.4-inch-diagonal color touchscreen and new 12.3-inch-diagonal configurable digital instrument cluster standard on models with the new interior
  • Standard on trims with the new interior, Google built-in² offers access to Google Assistant, Google Maps and Google Play right on the infotainment screen. This new experience works with Android AutoTM3 and Apple CarPlay4 capability and offers new levels of customization and flexibility for customers
  • Every trim features a new front fascia, which emphasizes the truck’s stability and strength with a wide, planted stance while new daytime running lamps have been programmed with animated walk-up and walk-away functions in addition to swiping turn signal functions on select trims

The robustly refreshed Chevrolet Silverado arrives at dealerships in spring 2022.

ZR2 highlights include:

• Standard 6.2L V-8 engine, delivering 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, mated with a 10-speed automatic transmission
  • Silverado-first application of Multimatic 40mm DSSV spool-valve dampers, which feature:
    • Three separate spool valves to control damping
    • Three connected chambers for fluid flow
  • Uniquely-tuned springs that, with the Multimatic dampers, increase maximum front and rear suspension travel, compared to the Silverado Trail Boss
  • Front and rear e-lockers
  • Specific off-road chassis and suspension calibrations, including Terrain Mode, which allows one-pedal5 rock crawling
  • Specific 33-inch off-road MT tires
  • Unique skid plate package
  • New high-approach steel front bumper designed for off-road strength, durability and clearance that enables an improved 31.8-degree approach angle compared to other Silverado off-road models

Honestly this is the first time I can say I like the look of this truck. I think they finally have a very competative interior to go up against RAM and Ford. Toyota has nothing on this.

2022 Silverado (chevrolet.com) Chevrolet Introduces Redesigned 2022 Silverado with Major Enhancements

2022-Chevrolet-Silverado-ZR2-001.jpg2022-Chevrolet-Silverado-ZR2-012.jpg

The Lifted Family of Trucks! Silverado High Country, ZR2 and LT.

2022-Chevrolet-Silverado-HighCountry-ZR2-LT-025 (1).jpg

Full 2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Preliminary Specifications can be found here:

Chevrolet Introduces Redesigned 2022 Silverado with Major Enhancements

It is a very general observation that I agree with that it might be a small sample and yet I hear this all the time from people all over and especially in the inner city you hear the roar of the Harley Bikes over everything else. Ear Piercing noise that destroys any tranquil attempt to live life.

My own Nephew bought a Harley and put on open headers saying the louder the better for safety which I totally disagree with that statement on, but it seems to be very common for Harley Riders to Destroy the peace with their open pipe noise.

Rare is the Harley Rider you find with a quiet muffler on their bike.

This gneration Silverado really growing on me. 

Chris

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 9.41.43 PM.png

It's good NOT to fit in when there's a Subaru adjacent to you in the foreground.

- - - - -

It's October 18, I went onto the Dodge website, and the 2022 models are NOT yet shown.  I'd like to see the trim levels, options, and pricing of the 2022 Charger. 

What's up with that?

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Olds pic for today, for sale on FB marketplace. Clean!

No photo description available.

Yes, it is clean.  I wonder how much they want.  It's a '77 Brougham coupe.

That's not a color combo I would like.  The expanse of white with a darker maroon interior was not so great.  With the "firethorn" red interior shown here, it's too much.  A girl I knew in college said white cars with red interiors look like "clown cars."  I think she had a point.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

^ COVID / chip shortages / material constraints are throwing all traditional manufacturing timelines out the window.

Very true.  And the product itself (the next Dodge Charger) will probably be very similar. 

The next rendition is further down the pike.  There would be a lot more speculation and consternation if a new Charger was at hand.

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Very true.  And the product itself (the next Dodge Charger) will probably be very similar. 

The next rendition is further down the pike.  There would be a lot more speculation and consternation if a new Charger was at hand.

From what I've read, pretty much everything from Ram, Dodge and Chrysler are carryover for 2022 with minor changes from 2021.  2022 is Jeep's year for new. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

On 10/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, trinacriabob said:

It's good NOT to fit in when there's a Subaru adjacent to you in the foreground.

- - - - -

It's October 18, I went onto the Dodge website, and the 2022 models are NOT yet shown.  I'd like to see the trim levels, options, and pricing of the 2022 Charger. 

What's up with that?

Every time now I seea Charger and think of you. They are especially badass in the rear view mirror at night. Love the look of those headlights after dark. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:47 PM, Robert Hall said:

From what I've read, pretty much everything from Ram, Dodge and Chrysler are carryover for 2022 with minor changes from 2021.  2022 is Jeep's year for new. 

I like a few of the Wrngelr colors. If only I hadn't just pulled a 5 year loan on a new Ranger. Actually, I like the Ranger better than the Wrangler, but would like a Wrangler or Bronco also. 

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Or to own a business called 'Brian's Laundry'. 

They would be perfect for a Diaper service. 

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

Stance & patina

FD6CC99C-821D-4FC6-B61B-F0D9A2A062A9.jpeg

I love this. 

As the song says Balthy..."I love old pickup trucks..."

This is hot!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Every time now I seea Charger and think of you. They are especially badass in the rear view mirror at night. Love the look of those headlights after dark. 

Thank you!  And, as a coincidence, I was just looking at a web ad banner and it's readily apparent that used ones don't come cheap!

Road trip!

Headed off to Florida for a few days so I may not be around much....

It's always great to head down to Flah-reh-duh.  Truly a unique, interesting, scenic, and weird state. 

No "My Cousin Vinny" antics on the way down.  Wait.  You're safe.  You won't have tri-state NYC area license plates.  (This commentary is moot if you're flying.)

• Agree 2

On 9/20/2021 at 5:58 PM, David said:

Chevrolet Performance Division has stopped production of the 755 HP 715 lb-ft of torque LT5 V8 engine as a crate option.

Chevy Discontinues 755-HP Corvette ZR1 Crate | The Drive

Chevrolet Performance just announced a new naturally-aspirated, 1004-HP / 876 TRQ crate motor.  Running on pump gas, the 632 CI V8 goes on sale in early '22. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Boo; professional lounger.

3BAA82DD-4EDE-4A75-9340-262D2A1B440F.jpeg

I freaking love black cats

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Chevrolet Performance just announced a new naturally-aspirated, 1004-HP / 876 TRQ crate motor.  Running on pump gas, the 632 CI V8 goes on sale in early '22. 

Hell yes

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

“Mothman” ~

50B006BD-6BCA-4870-8790-171B2CC3AF42.jpeg

Life is too short. I used to keep  salt water and fresh water fish. I could live another thousand years and never get bored.

20 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

This is literally "being 5h!t on" exponentially!

Plane Dumps Human Waste on Man While Flying Over His Yard: 'A Really Horrible Experience' (msn.com)

I wonder if it's possible to track the offending planes.

I had a co worker have a block of frozen urine come through the roof of his house while he was in the shower. Scared the puss out of him.

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

00F860D1-20AE-414B-958F-8BA4B48FF52D.jpeg

Bonus if you have no headrests.

See...you don't  like 4 doors but in my high school days putting 6 teens in a car and cruising around in a four door hardtop on a summer night was killer. Easy access to the back seat for other activities was icing on the cake.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Humor Reaction GIF by Black Rifle Coffee Company

43 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I had a co worker have a block of frozen urine come through the roof of his house while he was in the shower. Scared the puss out of him.

Hahaha that was a co worker of yours?!? Super Scary but also funny, because nobody was injured. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Hell yes

Life is too short. I used to keep  salt water and fresh water fish. I could live another thousand years and never get bored.

See...you don't  like 4 doors but in my high school days putting 6 teens in a car and cruising around in a four door hardtop on a summer night was killer. Easy access to the back seat for other activities was icing on the cake.

When I was I high school, 4drs with bench seats weren’t aspirational though.  They were thought of as parent and grandpa cars.  Kids wanted sporty 2dr bucket seat hatchbacks—those were the cars we wanted in the mid 80s.  

But I had many friends that got hand-me-down sedans from their folks…I remember a pale green ‘77 LeSabre, a sweet red w/ white top ‘76 Electra Limited 2dr, a dark red ‘81 Delta 88, and a sweet triple silver ‘80 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d’Elegance.  Rode in all of them, often with 6 teenagers...they were comfortable, not cramped.  Also remember a blue '75-78 Marquis 4dr and an early 80s Impala wagon. 

I drove my Dad’s ‘85 Town Car to school on occasion before I got my ‘87 Mustang GT.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

Right; 4-drs were shunned among enthusiasts.... but of course a huge quantity of 2-drs had bench seats.
I'm fine with buckets/console in vintage stuff, I just also have no problem with a bench there, too.
I briefly considered buckets/console in my '59, decided not to bother.

'Our gang' ran mostly older iron in the mid '80s; mid '60's stuff, with a couple of '50s cars.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Right; 4-drs were shunned among enthusiasts.... but of course a huge quantity of 2-drs had bench seats.
I'm fine with buckets/console in vintage stuff, I just also have no problem with a bench there, too.

'Our gang' ran mostly older iron in the mid '80s; mid '60's stuff, with a couple of '50s cars.

I think both in Ohio and S Florida most of the regular 60s and 50s stuff was gone from the roads in the mid 80s (salt). There were a few 60s cars in my high school—maybe a 1/2 dozen, and only 2 from the 50s I remember—a ‘56 Ford pickup street rod and a late 50s MGA.  

The ‘60s cars I remember were the twins that had a pair of restored red ‘65 Mustangs—one coupe, one convertible, a rough brown ‘68 Mustang coupe, a rough blue ‘66 Mustang coupe, an orange ‘68 Road Runner, a dark blue ‘68 Charger, a gray ‘65 Coupe de Ville and a well worn ‘68 Comet 2dr. 

Edited by Robert Hall

mid '80s-early '90s cars:
'53 Merc 2-dr sedan
'59 Star Chief 4-dr sedan
'65 Catalina 2-dr sedan
'68 Sedan deVille 4-dr hardtop
'64 Grand Prix 2-dr hardtop
'59 Invicta 2-dr hardtop
'67 Malibu 2-dr hardtop
'67 Chevelle 2-dr hardtop
'65 Corvair 2-dr hardtop
'65 Corsa 2-dr hardtop
'64 Ford Custom 2-dr sedan
'66 Belvidere 2-dr hardtop
'63 Galaxie 4-dr hardtop
numerous Mustangs
'67 Firebird 2-dr hardtop
'69 Firebird 2-dr hardtop
'67 Coupe deVille
'68 deVille convertible
'63 Catalina 2-dr hardtop
'68 Catalina 2-dr hardtop
'69 Cougar 2-dr hardtop
'72 Duster 2-dr hardtop
'74 Camaro coupe
...off the top of my head

On 10/20/2021 at 3:49 PM, balthazar said:

Boo; professional lounger.
3BAA82DD-4EDE-4A75-9340-262D2A1B440F.jpeg

Haha.  Cute cat.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

Me, too!  I've only had one cat ... when I was a kid.  It was an all black female.  Our dog came after the cat.  Our cat would engage the kids in the neighborhood and visitors to the house to play with her!  I've noticed that all black cats and "tuxedos" tend to be the most outgoing cats, based on what I've seen.  Maybe there's another cat in my future.  I think about it from time to time.

Y'all love to talk about EVs.  I really like the idea, but, when it comes to technology, I'm somewhat of a late adopter.  I want to make sure it's all tested and in good working order.

So, in looking for a rental car across the pond, one option was very nicely priced.  It was for $ 199 a week, which, over there, is phenomenal.  It was a Renault ZOE.  It is electric.  Given the crappiness of Sicily's infrastructure - they haven't even completed the highway-like ring road around the island - I wondered if I could find places to charge this ZOE ... and what it would cost.  The maps of charging stations and the info on how much charging the car cost was both sparse and dismal.  So I defaulted to an I.C.E. car.

So, while I like EVs from the standpoint of their being good for the environment and being able to charge them up inside one's garage (when they're home), the support system isn't yet ideal.  I think that my next car will have an I.C.E., but with a smaller and more economical engine.

Which is more expensive: charging an electric vehicle or fueling a car with gas? (yahoo.com)

This article is a little wary of EVs.  I like its cautious tone.  Other articles mentioned the ridiculous initial purchase costs of EVs.

^ Saw that; interesting article that is unusual in that it appears to take in all charging-related expenditures, rather than cherry pick just a few.

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Other articles mentioned the ridiculous initial purchase costs of EVs.

THAT is something I almost always see missing from articles. Add to that some states have exorbitant registration fees (and more are coming!), plus EV's rank #1 in average insurance cost in 49 out of 50 states.

A true total cost breakdown would be very interesting.

• Agree 1

It has been a very emotional draining, life altering week.  Two shocking events happened. One positive and one negative.  I dunno what all this means. I dunno what will happen next.  Ill keep you guys posted.   

Both events dont concern me or my family but both have the potential to affect us directly.  

• Agree 3

On 10/22/2021 at 8:47 AM, balthazar said:

We had plenty of different iron back in the day. 

Neat pic. 

May be an image of car and outdoors

16 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

It has been a very emotional draining, life altering week.  Two shocking events happened. One positive and one negative.  I dunno what all this means. I dunno what will happen next.  Ill keep you guys posted.   

Both events dont concern me or my family but both have the potential to affect us directly.  

You will be in my thoughts, good vibes coming from Columbus Ohio. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Wishing you and your family all the best. Stay strong my friend. If you need anything do not hesitate to ask!

• Agree 2

On 10/24/2021 at 11:02 PM, oldshurst442 said:

We're in your corner.

• Agree 2

At my local Cadillac dealership,  getting an oil change on the Escalade. Seems to have become a once a year thing now that I work from home.

Interesting observation for what is one of the largest dealerships in Washington state.

ZERO New Escalade's in stock, 2 used.

ZERO New XT's in stock.

Signage saying pre-orders being taken.

1 New CT4 and 2 New CT5 V editions in stock. A hand full of lower trim CT 4 &5 cars.  

Interesting is they have a new frame delivered and Waiting to be installed on an Escalade. Why stored upside down I think rather than on the delivery legs?

20211026_144213.jpg20211026_144204.jpg20211026_144057.jpg

• Agree 1

Talked to my (our) lawyer today.   Talked to a notary also. 

Not quite official, but it looks like major changes are coming.  Maybe.  Maye the course will right itself. Maybe it wont. Whatever happens, its not for now, but in the very near future.   Bitter sweet situations as the other situation is very sweet indeed.   

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, David said:

At my local Cadillac dealership,  getting an oil change on the Escalade. Seems to have become a once a year thing now that I work from home.

Interesting observation for what is one of the largest dealerships in Washington state.

ZERO New XT's in stock.

1 New CT4 and 2 New CT5 V editions in stock. A hand full of lower trim CT 4 &5 cars.  

Interesting is they have a new frame delivered and Waiting to be installed on an Escalade. Why stored upside down I think rather than on the delivery legs?

Interesting, My sister Katie loves her Escalade but wantws to trade it in on a Bronco 4 door when they become more available. She is a powerful attourney so methinks she can afford to do just that. 

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Talked to my (our) lawyer today.   Talked to a notary also. 

Not quite official, but it looks like major changes are coming.  Maybe.  Maye the course will right itself. Maybe it wont. Whatever happens, its not for now, but in the very near future.   Bitter sweet situations as the other situation is very sweet indeed.   

Sometimes the times of trasition are the most frightening. I am sure you are man enough to handle it with aplomb and protect your family. Godspped, sir. 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'I've seen this raw strength only once before. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now.'

If Oldshurst was a Bunny....

• Haha 2

Aslo, hey Balthy.....can't figure out what car this is. 

May be an image of 5 people and people standing

Icon just finished by my friend Nicholas...

No description available.

This was cool, in Fort Lauderdale historical society museeum...

Friends on a WV trip...

Rover, Jeep, and New Bronco in Cactus Grey in Fort Lauderdale on Los Olas. 

Also from my Florida trip. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, David said:

ZERO New XT's in stock.

So found out the back story on this. A new 2021 Escalade ESV was sold, the frame on the new auto had a major defect. GM is paying the dealership to replace the frame on the auto, a 4 to 6 week job according to my service tech.

Hello GM, give them a new Escalade and take the defective one back.

I would not want a brand new full Size SUV to be torn down and rebuilt onto a new frame. that  is just crazy.

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

If toyoter can do it (on a massive scale), GM certainly can swap one frame.

Wonder what the defect was, and if it involved how many units? Welding issue?

Toyota also gave the option to replace their Tacomas (pretty sure that’s what you’re referring to). 

Also, this is a $100K luxury SUV we are talking about, not a twenty year old Tacoma that only developed its issue after exposure to rust, unlike that Slade being defective right off the bat. 

• Agree 1