Random Thoughts Thread

On 10/3/2021 at 9:29 AM, Robert Hall said:

The '73 Cutlass 'El Camino' is interesting looking..needs paint.  Interesting how the front end looks without the nasty '73 front bumper...

Of the colonnades, I really only liked '75 and '76.  The '75 was the best looking one of the models with round headlamps.  The '76 was the best looking of the rectangular headlamp models.  It was stellar and that's why they sold half a million Cutlasses and over 1 million vehicles across the entire Oldsmobile portfolio that year.  

I feel that the '77 refinements weren't refinements at all - the busier grilles, dropping the spherical air vents on the passenger side, metallic candy apple red paints instead of "normal" burgundy ones, etc.

28306849-1975-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme

'75 - last and best of the round headlamp colonnade Cutlass Supreme coupes (this was "Spectre Blue," which you didn't see that often but looked good on both Supreme and Salon coupes)

168bbe21a4f93daaf251fc72ec9a851a.jpg

'76 - first and best of the rectangular headlamp/waterfall grille colonnade Cutlass Supreme coupes ... virtually identical to the one my parents bought, except with a blue cloth interior.

How I loved these cars.  They brought me, my family, and so many others a lot of joy and many great memories.

Things were definitely better all the way around several decades ago.  "Innocence lost" ... or something like that.

• Like 1

I think '73 was the best year for rear ends of all of the Colonnades--- Malibu, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Le Mans, GTO, Grand Am, Regal/Century, Cutlass, etc.   '73s had 'small' tight fitting rear bumpers..the Olds esp. looked good from behind.    Some of them did the front bumper better than others... the one front detail I thought that looked bad on all the Colonnades were the large dual round headlights, which seemed like a cost-cutting move...cars that large looked better w/ quad round headlights, IMO.  

I like the front of the '76-77 Cutlasses, but they smoothed out the sides and lost their distinctive creases on the coupes (the 4drs kept them).   I esp. like the '76-77 Cutlass S/442 sloping nose w/ the fastback roofline.

• Agree 1

Just now, trinacriabob said:

I don't know who's scarier?  This guy ... or the people he's chasing down.  Just a random thought.

Dog guy looks like he has been out in the sun way too much and is/was a big drinker...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I don't know who's scarier?  This guy ... or the people he's chasing down.  Just a random thought.

QP7NB5XNSVBSVID34XVEO5TQ5A.jpg

Both

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Dog guy looks like he has been out in the sun way too much and is/was a big drinker...

Then he found his Deity and was born again with a purpose.

Course if his Deity existed, then why did it not fix his face? 🤔

:roflmao:

• Haha 2

Cool news, probably sad for fans depending on which side of the road your on.

Jony Ive's who is responsible for much of the look on Apple Products has taken a new job with Ferrari to help them develop their first Electric auto and build their new electric auto portfolio to replace the ICE Ferrari portfolio. Seems the days of over rev'd Ferrari's is coming to an end.

Ex-Apple Design Chief Helping Ferrari With First EV: Report (businessinsider.com)

"But for reasons not entirely known"

https://www.motortrend.com/features/gm-x-cars-chevrolet-citation-oldsmobile-buick-pontiac-photos-history/

https://www.hotcars.com/chevy-citation-why-bad-reputation/

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g261/4345725/?slide=3

Maybe GM knew that they had released a big doo doo on the people?

Anyway...GM launched https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_A_platform_(1982)  in 1982 to replace the big doo doo that they had unleashed on the people. The A Platform was derived from that big doo doo. The A Platform had success. But was replaced by the W Body within the decade.  Mindboggling amounts of wasted money.  

• Agree 1

^ Pic above that seems to be generating confusion is of intake runners, going toward the valves. No valves in the pic, tho.

- - - - -
Supposedly the oldest Ford dealer in N.H., and established by Henry Ford himself. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 4.31.10 PM.png

As it appeared in the 1930s (still has the original car doors) : 

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 4.30.52 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Work has me crazy busy, so no time to write up any thing, but did see these

Hummer EV First Drive: 1,000 HP Of Unbridled Power And Crab-Walking Fun (insideevs.com)

Looks cool, will have to watch the full video later. Almost 32 minutes long.

The Genesis GV60 luxury electric SUV in RWD and AWD was released in Korea and comes standard with wireless charging.

Genesis Media Center : GENESIS PREMIERES THE GV60, A LUXURY EV THAT CONNECTS A VEHICLE TO A DRIVER

image.png

595320.jpg

Looks good!

Been busy the last week, wrapping up a project at work and starting a new project.

I did watch the reveal last week of the new '22 2-row WL Jeep Grand Cherokee and Grand Cherokee 4xe hybrid.   Looks good, definitely evolutionary from the WK2 and basically a shorter version of the L with shorter wheelbase and less rear overhang.  Same interior sans 3rd row.   I like it, looking forward to seeing it in person and test driving one eventually.  I've seen a few of the 3 row Ls out and about, not up close though.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37774950/2022-jeep-grand-cherokee-revealed/

• Thanks 1

Ford Mustang fans should like this.

2022 Ford Mustang Debuts First-Ever Stealth Edition, Adds GT Performance Package Option to California Special | Ford Media Center

Ford Mustang Stealth Edition

2022 Ford Mustang Stealth Edition_02.jpg

California Special B-Roll Edition

Quote of the Press Release

First-ever Stealth Edition joins Mustang lineup
Adding even more style to the 310-turbocharged-horsepower Mustang EcoBoost Premium model, the available Stealth Edition Appearance Package stays true to its name, giving customers a more menacing-looking fastback with uniquely blacked-out appointments.

The Stealth Edition Appearance Package features 19-inch Ebony Black-painted aluminum wheels, black pony badges, performance rear wing, black mirror caps and new clear LED taillamp covers, also shared with the new Mustang Ice White Appearance Package. Unique new interior appointments include a matte and gloss black instrument panel badge and lighted sill plate.

“The black accents really give the car a whole new persona, sinister and sporty all at once,” said Owens. “Naturally, the package needed the right name. Stealth Edition says it all.”

The Stealth Edition is available in Atlas Blue, Carbonized Gray, Dark Matter and Shadow Black.

California Special adds excitement with GT Performance Package option
Since the first-generation Mustang, the California Special has represented a uniquely regionalized appearance package with special styling cues. The updated 2022 Mustang GT California Special embodies this tradition.

Based on the 2022 Mustang GT Premium fastback and convertible models, the latest California Special Appearance Package pays homage to the original version’s blacked-out grille, side racing stripes and rear fender scoop.

The heritage-inspired “GT/CS” side stripe trademark traces from the front fender to the signature rear fender scoop. A California Special badge in Ebony Black and Race Red script adorns the trunk lid, while the honeycomb grille with “GT/CS” badge provides a unique look. A larger front splitter from the GT Performance Package underscores the icon’s handling prowess.

A performance rear wing from the GT Performance Package is available for the fastback model, while spoiler delete is standard for the California Special convertible. The California Special wears unique five-spoke 19-inch painted machined wheels. Under the hood, this special edition features a signature strut tower brace with California Special badge atop its 5.0-liter V8 engine.

Interior appointments include rich black Miko® sueded-trimmed door inserts and sueded-trimmed seats with the embossed “GT/CS” logo and red contrast stitching, along with custom embroidered “GT/CS” floor mats. The instrument panel is finished in carbon hex aluminum with a signature California Special script badge on the passenger side.

As a California Special-first, the GT Performance Package is now available, enabling greater handling and driving dynamics for the most capable California Special ever.

The GT Performance Package adds an array of performance and handling features including Brembo six-piston front brake calipers, unique chassis tuning with heavy-duty front springs, larger tubular rear sway bar, overall lower ride height, K-brace, strut tower brace, front subframe V-brace, TORSEN® limited-slip differential, unique stability control and electric power steering tuning. Staggered 19x9-inch front and 19x9.5-inch rear wheels with Pirelli summer tires further the handling grip.

The California Special is available in Atlas Blue, Carbonized Gray, Cyber Orange, Dark Matter, Grabber Blue Metallic, Iconic Silver, Rapid Red, Shadow Black and Oxford White.

Loving the Green on the 2022 Lincoln Navigator

Honda seems to have press releases of their latest offroad truck, rugged Passport and testing for Civic Type R.

Rugged Honda HPD Ridgeline to Compete in Grueling Off-Road Rebelle Rally (hondanews.com)

Adventure Calls and 2022 Honda Passport Answers, with Rugged Redesign and All-New TrailSport (hondanews.com)

The 2022 Honda Passport is expected to begin arriving in dealers this winter.

What's New:

• More aggressive exterior design from the A-pillars forward
  • Updated rear styling featuring a new bumper and larger exhaust finishers
  • Updated EX-L interior includes contrast stitching on perforated leather seats
  • TrailSport edition features unique exterior and interior styling and standard intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4®) all-wheel drive system with true torque vectoring
  • Standard Rear Seat Reminder and rear seatbelt reminder systems on all models
  • Available HPD accessories package for sportier appearance

Key Features

• Standard 280-horsepower (SAE net at 6,000 rpm) V6 engine and 9-speed automatic transmission
  • i-VTM4™ all-wheel drive with true torque vectoring available on all grades (standard on TrailSport and Elite)
  • Ground clearance up to 8.1 inches for tackling rugged terrain
  • Standard 8-inch Display Audio system with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration
  • Standard Honda Sensing® system of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies
  • Standard Smart Entry and Push-button start
  • Standard LED headlights

Next Gen Civic Type R is Ready for Nürburgring Testing (hondanews.com)

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

Very subaruesque.

I wasn't aware the Passport was still in production. I haven't noticed any on the road in years. 
Pilots, I see.

Lots of Passports around here. 

Sadly...(both on the Passport and on the 747 video)

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

I would be sick to my stomach if I were any of those owners.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/watch-horror-truckload-c8-corvettes-174400646.html342481292_ScreenShot2021-10-07at9_46_37AM.thumb.png.096a003d0c97f0b194b7ad50c0b36c9f.png

Sadly...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'm sure the insurance will cover the losses and GM will build more.  

Its not about that I dont think.

Its about these Corvette C8 would be owners FINALLY getting their hands on their cars finally after 3-4 shut downs because of union strikes, Covid delays and chip shortages  only to have this fall upon them.   

First world problems that insurances and modern mass production technology couldnt handle. I agree. 

Still sucks.  (To be them... As much money as these guys have to be buying these things in the first place...)

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Its not about that I dont think.

Its about these Corvette C8 would be owners FINALLY getting their hands on their cars finally after 3-4 shut downs because of union strikes, Covid delays and chip shortages  only to have this fall upon them.   

That's assuming these were already sold to consumers and not just dealer inventory...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

That's assuming these were already sold to consumers and not just dealer inventory...

True.

And I am assuming this with the C8 as Id like to think that  its a smashing hit and a very sought after vehicle and these were all accounted for.   Chevrolet didnt get a chance to produce many because of the reasons I stated above and that only fueled the need to own one.   (coupled with the world wide praise for its speed performance)

Edited by oldshurst442

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

In this day & age, I would assume all or almost all of those were spoken for.

Yeah. Every car lot around here is empty enough to land a plane on. 

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

Last time I was at my CJRD dealer, they had 3 Ram TRXes that had been delivered that morning...they had all been pre-sold.  (Probably all crashed by now). 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Noticed many of the independent used car lots are closing down as there is not enough inventory to support these 3rd party sellers.

80 additional miles range for ten grand is a horrible, horrible deal.

>>"The R1T's bed is a foot shorter, but it's meant more for hauling camping equipment than lumber."<<

Newsflash, MSN; 5.5' isn't meant for hauling lumber, either.

- - - - -
It's going to be interesting to see how states figure out the road taxing on BE's, seems the R1T weighs 8400 lbs. I expect some real sticker-shock registration fees are a-comin'. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

It's going to be interesting to see how states figure out the road taxing on BE's, seems the R1T weighs 8400 lbs. I expect some real sticker-shock registration fees are a-comin'. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  

When the switch to BEs will commence, I wonder if all the people involved in pushing out ICEVs thought about EV weight?  

In Quebec, our politicians KNOW and REALIZE that 18 wheelers, especially OVERweight 18 wheelers cause our highways to be shyte, I wonder if these same guys are aware that EVs are ridiculously OVERweight...

I dont think the politicians pushing for EVs are aware that our roads are gonna be destroyed much much sooner than planned...  

84 hundred pounds...  SHYTE!!! 

I would welcome seeing some testing data on 'x weight on 4 tires does this, y-weight on 4 tires does this' sort of examination. Because I never have, and everything I'd read that mentions it in tangent seems to be merely assuming.

An empty tractor-trailer weighs less PER TIRE than a Rivian R1T. (35,000 / 18)

Tractor-trailers also cannot drift or turn sharply, practices that cause more damage than just conventional, mostly-forward driving ever does.

Gonna be in crunch mode till middle of November, so sorry folks, no new stories from me for a bit on the front page. Here is interesting news I saw today.

Foxconn is supposedly building or going to build an EV for Apple to sell, but in the mean time, they have built their own platform and the reveal is set for October 18th 2021, the boxing up of the prototype car was captured and posted to Chinese news. Welcome Foxconn to the auto business. 

the shape is sporty and smooth, exposing foxconn's first model, the car house (autohome.com.cn)

Foxconn auto platform announcement from October 16th, 2020 is here: Foxconn Transforms Automobile Industry with Launch of Open Platform for Electric Vehicles and Announces Pioneering R&D Programs In Taiwan │ Foxconn Technology Group

Seems Lordstown EV maker has sold the Ohio Factory to Foxconn who will produce their EVs there for the North American Market and other companies (Apple). Lordstown sells its Ohio factory to Foxconn in hope that it will help build its electric pickup truck - Electrek

BIG BIG Party at the opening of the Tesla GigaFactory in Germany: Tesla Gigafest Berlin on the ground [Gallery] - Electrek

Kawasaki will have an EV portfolio by 2025 only. No more ICE. Kawasaki announces its motorcycles to go all-electric by 2035 - Electrek

Tesla CANNOT Deliver Semi Trucks, CyberTrucks or Roadster 2.0, so the next best thing is a CyberBeer in a CyberTruck sytle bottle. Tesla announces a new 'Gigabeer' with Cybertruck-inspired bottle, because why not? - Electrek

Gotta end this on a High Note, Weird EVs from  the Electrek Alibaba section.

Awesomely Weird Alibaba EV of the Week: A Fake Electric Lamborghini (electrek.co)

image.pngimage.png

A couple of random thoughts:

I don't see what the Urban Meyer situation is all about.  The photos don't look good; however, it doesn't look like he approached her.  She seems like a flooze who went over there and started gyrating on his lap.  It also depends on how long the "encounter" lasted.  His biggest issue is the 0-5 situation of the Jacksonville Jaguars.  From quick glances over time, JAX has never had that good of a team.

Too bad that Matt Amodio had to lose his winning streak on "Jeopardy."  I get bits and pieces from the homepage.  This is one smart guy with impressive credentials.  I wondered when the streak would end.  It came a little bit sooner than I thought.  I guess he'll have to go from celebrity status back to Ivy League PhD candidate status.  I used to have Matt Amodio (style of) hair at one time.  

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I don't see what the Urban Meyer situation is all about.  The photos don't look good

Looked good for him.

Seriously, for as anti-religion as the populous seems to be going toward, it feels like some of this commentary is coming from Vatican City. 'Thou shall not receive lap dances'.

• Agree 1

Interesting read as MB has been called out for going all electric starting in 2030 and GM for going all electric in 2035 with no ICE options for sale that both companies could be overlooking their supply chain inability to support this change.

Tesla cofounder JB Straubel sends warning to automakers going all-electric: 'Do the supply chain math' - Electrek