Random Thoughts Thread

On 1/1/2023 at 2:29 PM, David said:

I honestly do not know who they are, but the man reminds me of a modern Mafia man and the woman of a NJ Woman that is always saying Look at me, Look at me.

Hard pass on both.

Interesting observation is her waist is at the middle of his belly, and yet both there boobs are on the same level. Weird or what.

Well, your observations are mostly accurate.  They involved some profiling and I think that, if street smart and with some of life's mileage, profiling often works.  And, if it works, don't fix it!

I'm not much a TV watcher, so I didn't know who they were, either.  But I kept seeing them on my homepage from time to time, so I clicked on the link.

They are Joe and Teresa Giudice of ... yes ... New Jersey.  She was in the show "Real Housewives of New Jersey," which sounds like having one's teeth pulled to have to watch.  Amazingly, these two remained married for a long time for being associated with the entertainment world and had 4 daughters.  As for Joe, he got nailed for tax evasion or wire fraud or something like that (I don't remember) and was deported to Italy.  That is where he now lives.

I find it insulting how American media bastardizes the pronunciation of their last name, which, in Italian, means "judge." (We can't do that with Hispanic names in America.) 

joe-and-teresa-giudice-throwback-photo.j

This is what they looked like when they were young, taken on a beach somewhere, probably on the Jersey Shore.  She's probably the most stereotypically Italian woman I've ever seen ... even after just getting back from Toronto!  Like I said, it would be "never a dull moment" with folks like these on one's block.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@David

I LOVE that Riviera.  Detroit Speed does resto-mods the right way!!!  An awesome job they did. Kike they always do.  

I also love that many many Oldsmobiles are still available for purchase in pristine condition even after 20 years have gone since its death.    Its nice to know that plenty of folk still care for the brand enough to keep Oldsmobile alive in our hearts and minds. 

• Like 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Very interesting that the latest survey of the top 10 auto's for theft.

Catalytic Converter Theft: The 10 Vehicles Thieves Target Most (msn.com)

The 10 Cars Most Prone to Catalytic Converter Theft

• 10. 2001–2021 Toyota Prius
  • 9. 2011–2017 Chrysler 200
  • 8. 1987–2019 Toyota Camry
  • 7. 1997–2020 Honda CR-V
  • 6. 2005–2021 Chevrolet Equinox
  • 5. 1999–2021 Chevrolet Silverado
  • 4. 1990–2022 Ford Econoline/E-Series
  • 3. 2007–2017 Jeep Patriot
  • 2. 1989–2020 Honda Accord
  • 1. 1985–2021 Ford F-series
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 10:57 PM, David said:

@oldshurst442 @ccap41 @Drew Dowdell @surreal1272 @trinacriabob

Just read this story about Detroit Speed. A company started by a former GM Suspension Engineer for the Corvette development team.  Talk about a SEXY Riviera built on a modern platform.

Detroit Speed 1965 Buick Riviera Build | Hemmings

Snag_880a197.pngSnag_881d9e8.png

Olds, I think you would find something to love in the cars from Oldsmobile here:

Oldsmobile For Sale | Hemmings Motor News

Aside from the wheels being 3 sizes too large and it slammed too low, I love the attention to detail.  I would have wanted closer to era appropriate wheels/tires in both size and style. I'm not saying drop it all the way back to 15", but some retro 18"s would have been fine. Those look at least 20" and they foul the front fender on turns.

• Agree 2

On 1/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, David said:

@oldshurst442 @ccap41 @Drew Dowdell @surreal1272 @trinacriabob

Just read this story about Detroit Speed. A company started by a former GM Suspension Engineer for the Corvette development team.  Talk about a SEXY Riviera built on a modern platform.

Detroit Speed 1965 Buick Riviera Build | Hemmings

Snag_880a197.pngSnag_881d9e8.png

I agree with @Drew Dowdell. It looks pretty much perfect but I'd prefer a little smaller wheel with a little more sidewall. I know most builds involve as big of wheels that will fit into wheel wells but I'd prefer more of a 17-18' wheel here. 

For a '65 Riv, I prefer a more stock look.  Beautiful cars..love the Rivieras.

My favorites are the '66-67 and '71-72.  I love how Buick used wheels of this style from the mid 60s until the mid 80s.

1-1633355682832@2x.jpg

03-1553293503817@2x.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

OK...

If we are goimg to nit pick the Detroit Speed Riviera, then I too, would agree that its slammed too low.  And that the wheels ARE 3 sizes too big.   I too, would like them to be 17 inches MAX and not so low to the ground.   Its a boulevard cruiser.  Its not a sports car. Its not even a GT car.  Its a...boulevard cruiser to cruise...the Riviera.   

Kinda like that one particular dad once said 

Id like to add that the back end, below the bumper, its empty.  Just an empty slab of metal.  I do like that they reversed the placement of the taillights above the bumper instead of below, but that left the bottom to be empty.  Maybe if the exhaust came out of the rear in that empty space and be flush with the body panel framed by a bezel.  Dual exhaust one at each end. 

66 mustang exhaust - Cheap Online Shopping -

Kinda like this look but not at the bottom,  but in the middle of that empty space panel between the bumper and the bottom.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Greetings .. From the Land of Cmicasa Mioso Bossa😎

277345420_1093983708105100_4503816793383000396_n.jpg

WOW, Long time no hear, great post to come back with. How have you been? How is life and WTF have you been doing?

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

What's up Old friend... Just been working, expanding business and endeavoring in new ventures. Tryin to prepare for early retirement.. My car enthusiasm has turned to Harleys and Boating/Yachting as well. And Boating is Life in the Chesapeake. Riding is Life on these roads. Running my Softail, a V-Rod Muscle and a new Road King Special.. All modded and cammed up if course.. And sailing a 38 Ft Rinker.. But U know I can't give up my Z06 and Caddy Luv

Ill b calling u 'skipper' from now on.

The Skipper - Wikipedia

Although now, with Softails and V-Rods, alongside the Z06 and Caddy, you're badder to the bone.   b-b-b-b-bad. Bad to the Bone!!! 

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

@Drew DowdellLooks Fun Bro.. I remember U saying U were looking at getting that model a few years back. Glad U did.. Here's my Ladies 

20220502_165532.jpg

Picsart_22-03-27_12-27-34-904.jpg

IMG_20220306_140549.jpg

Picsart_22-02-27_11-55-27-732.jpg

20211027_152202.jpg

IMG_20230110_123409.jpg

I come down to Rehoboth Beach sometimes. I'll have to coordinate with you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@oldshurst442... No doubt Bro... I'll be the Skipper lol. Say hello to the SeaMicasa.. She's out in front with my brother's in the rear (blue) and my first boat in middle (smallest) that I bought in `20 and sold to the new owners this past summer 

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I come down to Rehoboth Beach sometimes. I'll have to coordinate with you.

Bet! Sounds doable.. When the weather gets better I will be able to to make that trip

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 7/15/2022 at 5:22 PM, David said:

I stopped eating pretty much all Restuarant food since I can cook better at home and healthier. 

I am getting there myself. 

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Welcome back @Cmicasa the Great,  I got something new myself since you've been here last.

IMG_6622.jpg.6cde7ab0aef48d0f16b040742e1

That is gorgeous, Drew. Also, love the way the site looks. 

On 1/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, David said:

Seems Lexus is working to get everyone onboard with electification.

It's going to be supply constrained for a good while. My local Ford dealer says they have 20 plus buyers for every F150 lightinig they can get thier hands on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

IMG_6622.jpg.6cde7ab0aef48d0f16b040742e1

Can't beat the location.  I see the Empire State Building and the newer Midtown Manhattan towers that have sprouted, not all of which I like.  I'm guessing this is from somewhere along the Hudson River in NJ, no?

I love visiting this area.  And to the think that we once lived in its suburbs, probably 5 or 10 miles from where this photo may have been taken.  Great road trip for you, I'm sure.

8 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Can't beat the location.  I see the Empire State Building and the newer Midtown Manhattan towers that have sprouted, not all of which I like.  I'm guessing this is from somewhere along the Hudson River in NJ, no?

I love visiting this area.  And to the think that we once lived in its suburbs, probably 5 or 10 miles from where this photo may have been taken.  Great road trip for you, I'm sure.

According to the meta data it was in Maxwell Place Park, NJ

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

For a '65 Riv, I prefer a more stock look.  Beautiful cars..love the Rivieras.

1-1633355682832@2x.jpg

03-1553293503817@2x.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes ... yes ... NO.

I prefer stock looks on almost all cars.  Most other renditions look too forced.

I had forgotten about that fastback late '60s (I think) Riviera ... good proportions, youthful enough, nice rear light bar.

Most Rivieras have been interesting and they've taken some bold moves with them.  The only misses, IMO, were:

- the boat tail Riv, which is about as polarizing as the bustle back Seville

- some of the 1979-1984 Rivs if outfitted in bad ways, such as with a padded landau roof and too much chrome

- the very first downsized gen of Rivs staring circa 1985, until they enlarged it a little bit and righted that ship

They even did a decent job with:

- 1974 to 1976, where it was a good compromise that had enough rearward sweep and the big opera window

- 1977 and 1978, where, even if safe and uninspiring in the engineering department, sure looked a helluva lot better than its fraternal LeSabre coupe and which now could be powered by an Olds Rocket 350 V8.

- the very last Riv of the mid '90s - some great vantage points but with the weak "preying mantis" front end, but a really nice interior cabin and sweeping dash that even melded well right into the doors.

6 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

@Drew DowdellLooks Fun Bro.. I remember U saying U were looking at getting that model a few years back. Glad U did.. Here's my Ladies 

20220502_165532.jpg

Picsart_22-03-27_12-27-34-904.jpg

IMG_20220306_140549.jpg

Picsart_22-02-27_11-55-27-732.jpg

20211027_152202.jpg

IMG_20230110_123409.jpg

Along with SeaMicasa, it looks like you are enjoying all the free time you got. And you mentioned early retirement.  THAT is awesome!!!      Glad to hear that!!!  

Although Im doing great, my trajectory seems to be running opposite yours.  I had to buyout my partner so my time running the restaurant went up about 8-10 hours/week.   I hired a manager, and she is great,  but she is not an owner so...when something comes up, I am the one to do the extra hours.  She helps out, but when she cant...she cant and that is that. I dont force her.  The working dynamics have changed...drastically Id say.

Also, I had to buy him out.  So I had to fork over some cash to him.  Cash that was there for...whatever it was there for meant for retirement.  Be it some kind of toy or real estate for retirement purposes or whatever.  Now I have to continue to work to replenish what I saved that I dont have anymore and pray that the restaurant continues to make money long enough for me to save up what I had...   

Speaking of which, I have some lands in Greece. Through my mom. And although I thought that between my (4) cousins, we would be able to renovate the family home and resolve what it is to resolve with the other little lands and have a place to live in after retirement between the 4 of us spread over 3 families on vacation to Greece.  Well, I hired a lawyer because things are not going so smoothly.  We all have an equal share in all the properties, but that greed bug seems to be biting some of us.  

The same thing is happening from my wife's side.  My mother-n-law passed away a couple of years ago and my wife's siblings cant seem to come to an amicable conclusion on how things should be divided up.   My mother-n-law leaves behind a house in Montreal, but several lands in Greece as well.   Like with my side's problems, they all have an equal share in the lands in Greece and in the house in Montreal. But my wife's siblings are also bit by that freakin' greed bug.  They cant come to an amical conclusion on dividing the lands up fairly.  So...the lawyer I hired to take care of business on my side will also take care of business on my wife's side.  But all I see is  $$$s being spent NEEDLESSLY on phoquing lawyers...  For everybody as the money we are ALL spending on phoquing lawyers could be used to develop something nice in Greece... Whatever that something nice could be.

All to say:

IM GLAD YOU ARE ENJOYING LIFE!!!   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 2

Sometimes you get the MRI. Other times the MRI gets you.

Probably going to have way too much down time this year due to not one, but two different hip surgeries (left and right) in the cards this year. Ugh but if it takes away the pain, it'll be worth it. Just throws a monkey wrench into some of my creative endeavor plans this year. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Probably going to have way too much down time this year due to not one, but two different hip surgeries (left and right) in the cards this year. Ugh but if it takes away the pain, it'll be worth it. Just throws a monkey wrench into some of my creative endeavor plans this year. 

Sorry to hear about that.   But also, glad to hear that you will be getting medical attention to help with your ailment.  Health is #1.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I am getting there myself. 

That is gorgeous, Drew. Also, love the way the site looks. 

It's going to be supply constrained for a good while. My local Ford dealer says they have 20 plus buyers for every F150 lightinig they can get thier hands on. 

Welcome back Horse, been a long time since you and I have chatted here and elsewhere. Hope life has been good to you, give us an update on what you been doing in woodworking and with the family.

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Take care Surreal, health is the most important thing for each of us, otherwise life can be very miserable.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Sorry to hear about that.   But also, glad to hear that you will be getting medical attention to help with your ailment.  Health is #1.  

Thanks. It's only been in the last five years that I have decided to move my health into my top 10 lol when it should have happened the first time I tore my right knee (at 19) playing football (not organized Football) and not getting it looked at. The lessons learned are many.

9 hours ago, David said:

Take care Surreal, health is the most important thing for each of us, otherwise life can be very miserable.

I agree. See above response as to why.

• Agree 2

Lots of debate, woodworking, hiking and the like. 

Not a pretty GTO, but a fun little video.

14 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Hope it works out well for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOW, This is to me bait and Switch and I would expect a lawsuit over this against Tesla.

Mechanics Discover Tesla Snuck Downgraded Brakes Behind New Red Calipers on 2023 Tesla Model Y (motorbiscuit.com)

1 hour ago, David said:

As one who uses Slack messaging software both at work and in other areas, I find todays Dilbert cartoon to be very funny.

DilbertSlack.jpg

Unfortunately, Scott Adams is an off-the-deep-end right wing extremist who still believes a prior Democratic candidate for President was running a child trafficking ring out of the basement of a pizza place that has no basement.  This is a dog-whistle cartoon.

That said, I am likely closing the C&G twitter account because even though I only follow car accounts, the feed is inundated with people with political views similar to this, so Elon has absolutely changed the algorithm to amplify those voices over and above what users actually want to follow.... in this case... cars.

• Thanks 1

Gotta love the clear messaging on what the 2023 over the 2022 Ioniq5 from Hyundai has.

IONIQ 5 - Hyundai Newsroom

image.png

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Unfortunately, Scott Adams is an off-the-deep-end right wing extremist who still believes a prior Democratic candidate for President was running a child trafficking ring out of the basement of a pizza place that has no basement.  This is a dog-whistle cartoon.

That said, I am likely closing the C&G twitter account because even though I only follow car accounts, the feed is inundated with people with political views similar to this, so Elon has absolutely changed the algorithm to amplify those voices over and above what users actually want to follow.... in this case... cars.

WOW, that sucks, I did not know the author was such a nut case. Totally understand. Thanks for the enlightenment. 

🤔 I still do not consider Tesla Luxury other than by price, but it is cool to see that Tesla has taken the sales lead in Luxury sales from the Germans.

Tesla’s Latest Achievement Is Great News Even If You Hate Tesla (msn.com)

Here is Automotive News breakdown of U.S. luxury car sales for 2022:

• Tesla: 491,000
  • BMW: 332,388
  • Mercedes-Benz: 286,764
  • Lexus: 258,704
  • Audi: 186,875
  • Cadillac: 134,726
  • Acura: 102,306
  • Volvo:  102,038
  • Like 1

Very interesting list of autos most current owners say they would never buy again.

8 Cars Most Drivers Would Never Buy Again (moneytalksnews.com)

Ranked from last to first place

• 8th Place - Nissan Kicks
  • 6th & 7th Place - Volkswagen Taos & Kia Seltos (Tie)
  • 5th Place - Jeep Compass
  • 4th Place - Mercedes-Benz GLA
  • 3rd place - Infiniti QX50
  • 2nd place - Mercedes-Benz GLB
  • 1st place - Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport

Most and Least Reliable Cars You Can Buy in 2023: Consumer Reports (businessinsider.com)

The Most Reliable Cars You Can Buy

• 5th Place - 2022 Mazda MX-5 Miata
  • 4th Place - 2022 Toyota Prius
  • 3rd Place - 2023 Mini Cooper
  • 2nd Place - 2023 Lexus GX
  • 1st Place - 2023 Toyota Corolla Hybrid

The Least Reliable Cars you can Buy

• 5th Place - 2023 Ford Explorer
  • 4th Place - 2023 Nissan Sentra
  • 3rd Place - 2023 Lincoln Aviator
  • 2nd Place - 2023 Hyundai Kona Electric
  • 1st Place - 2023 Ford F-150 Hybrid pickup

Do you agree or disagree with this list?

1 hour ago, David said:

Gotta love the clear messaging on what the 2023 over the 2022 Ioniq5 from Hyundai has.

IONIQ 5 - Hyundai Newsroom

image.png

Those are some pretty nice improvements. Nice to see that Hyundai is going to keep doing tweaks to these as they roll through the years like they would in an ICE car.

59 minutes ago, David said:

🤔 I still do not consider Tesla Luxury other than by price, but it is cool to see that Tesla has taken the sales lead in Luxury sales from the Germans.

"Luxury" Electric Jetta/Tiguan/Passat/Atlas

52 minutes ago, David said:

2nd place - Mercedes-Benz GLB

What's sad is that the GLB format would be exactly what Albert would want. But after driving the EQB, I was appalled at the interior quality. It plays in the Kia Sportage class there.  I have to manually crank my seat height?!

54 minutes ago, David said:

5th Place - Jeep Compass

Also sad because the Compass just got a very nice interior upgrade that puts it, at least visually, akin to a Lincoln Corsair.  It's not the same level of quality, but it looks the look. Hate the engine though.

48 minutes ago, David said:

3rd Place - 2023 Lincoln Aviator

:glare: this... in plug-in hybrid form... was on my list as a possible 300C replacement.  Guess not.

42 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I could have sworn there was a discussion about brand naming schemes and how some companies just keep changing their names and diluting their brand, not so long ago on this very site.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/mercedes-benz-to-drop-eq-brand-for-ev-220753279.html 

Yes in many threads we have had the whole debate about names and the double standard applied to certain German brands and now they are doing an about face. No big surprise here. 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Those are some pretty nice improvements. Nice to see that Hyundai is going to keep doing tweaks to these as they roll through the years like they would in an ICE car.

"Luxury" Electric Jetta/Tiguan/Passat/Atlas

What's sad is that the GLB format would be exactly what Albert would want. But after driving the EQB, I was appalled at the interior quality. It plays in the Kia Sportage class there.  I have to manually crank my seat height?!

Also sad because the Compass just got a very nice interior upgrade that puts it, at least visually, akin to a Lincoln Corsair.  It's not the same level of quality, but it looks the look. Hate the engine though.

:glare: this... in plug-in hybrid form... was on my list as a possible 300C replacement.  Guess not.

I agree that it is very cool to see Hyundai doing decent upgrades by model year allowing the comfort of the customers used to clear differences to still be there as people move forward with new auto purchases.

Yes, Luxury is a rather Fluid term these days it would seem.

I agree, I have seen more and more negative comments on review boards about the Mercedes lineup and the cheapening of the interiors for the price they charge. Some have said it seems that the German brands in some cases are replicating what American brands did in the 80's/90's with cheapness for the sake of profits.

I agree the interior is nice on the Jeep Compass but based on coworkers who bought and have had engine problems, I would stay far away.

The 2023 Lincoln Aviator was a surprise to me and it sent me looking for why with this being the clearest explanation.

It has underwhelming fuel economy, and while it looks more significant from the outside, owners report cramped head space in the cabin. If you are looking for a more reliable option, check out the 2022 Audi Q7.

Consumer Reports Least Reliable SUVs for 2023, What to Buy Instead (motorbiscuit.com)

1 minute ago, David said:

It has underwhelming fuel economy, and while it looks more significant from the outside, owners report cramped head space in the cabin. If you are looking for a more reliable option, check out the 2022 Audi Q7.

:lol::roflmao:... citing anything Audi for reliability.  Might as well suggest a Jag.

Anyway, the Aviator Grand Touring PHEV does 54 city and 58 highway  while having 400 horsepower and 640 lb.-ft of torque. They also have the cushy suspension I like.

I've driven one a while ago and the only words to describe the experience are "effortless and serene".  You simply waft over the road in utmost comfort.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting read on battery cost for EVs and while Battery cell costs actually rose in 2022 7%, the overall cost have dropped 89% in 2022 dollars from 2008 to now.

DOE: In 2022 money, EV battery costs have kept falling (greencarreports.com)

23 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

:lol::roflmao:... citing anything Audi for reliability.  Might as well suggest a Jag.

Anyway, the Aviator Grand Touring PHEV does 54 city and 58 highway  while having 400 horsepower and 640 lb.-ft of torque. They also have the cushy suspension I like.

I've driven one a while ago and the only words to describe the experience are "effortless and serene".  You simply waft over the road in utmost comfort.

Audi had two press releases that are Interesting, 

Sold 1.61 Million autos world wide in 2022 and of that 118,000 were EVs, a 44% increase over 2020.

Audi delivers over 100,000 electric models in 2022 – despite challenging environment | Audi MediaCenter (audi-mediacenter.com)

Then Audi has moved up their time table, ICE auto's will stop production in 2029 rather than 2033 and rather than 2030 for the start of releasing EVs only, they will move this to 2026 when only new models that are released will be EVs. After 2026, ICE auto's will be produced as is for select markets as they phase them out over 3 years from 2026 to 2029.

Audi Presents Plan for the Production of the Future | Audi MediaCenter (audi-mediacenter.com)

For those interested in EV component development, News has been busy with new items:

Charged EVs | Solenoid fundamentals: magnetic latching solenoids for EVs - Charged EVs

On-off solenoids are the simplest. When power is applied, the solenoid will pull in or push out, depending on the design. The inclusion of a spring or other external force will cause the solenoid to return to its original position when power is removed. 

A proportional control solenoid works in much the same way except that the plunger will move a distance that is proportional to the current applied to the coil. If 50% of the designed maximum current is applied, the plunger will move 50% of its stroke length. 

While these types of solenoids have a place in automotive applications, they both require the constant application of power to hold a position once actuated. This can make them less than ideal for the needs of EVs in applications where the solenoid must hold a position for an extended period. 

Latching solenoids have an advantage over these other two designs, making them a great option for EV applications. They use only a short power pulse to change state and do not need constant power to maintain a given position. Latching solenoids come in two major types: the single-fire release latching actuator and the bistable latching solenoid.

Charged EVs | Rincon Power launches new 600 A, 1,000 V manual battery disconnect - Charged EVs

“Our 600A HVBD Battery Disconnect offers an attractive solution for physically isolating high-voltage systems while allowing for a visual indication that the switch is turned OFF,” said Markus Beck, Rincon Power’s VP of Sales. “The HVBD series has been successfully implemented in a wide range of applications including electric buses, off-road equipment, electric marine and a wide range of high-voltage battery systems.”

Consider the above switch a safety switch for mechanics working on an EV or emergency services protecting the people responding to a crash.

Charged EVs | Billions of bucks for US battery plants announced in 2022 - Charged EVs

According to the Center for Automotive Research (via the Wall Street Journal), automakers announced plans to invest some $22 billion in battery plants in the US in 2022 (plus another 11 big ones for auto assembly facilities). Atlas Public Policy (via NPR) puts the figure at $73 billion for US battery plants in 2022.

And that’s just in the US in 2022. Benchmark Mineral Intelligence calculates that, globally, almost $300 billion of investment has been announced in new battery gigafactories since 2019.

Charged EVs | Researchers develop cobalt-free cathodes using hydrothermal synthesis - Charged EVs

Researchers at the DOE’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) have developed a new method for producing cathodes for lithium-ion batteries by relying on hydrothermal synthesis, which eliminates the need to use cobalt, making the process quicker, less wasteful and less toxic.

Cool thing also is the above new process changes the multi-day process of creating a cathode to a 12hr process.

@Drew Dowdell @oldshurst442 @ccap41 @surreal1272 @smk4565

Interesting news as Consumer Reports puts out their updated listing of Auto's.

Only 1 Luxury SUV Ranks Among Consumer Reports' 10 Least Reliable Cars of 2022 (motorbiscuit.com)

the least reliable car on the list was a luxury SUV, and that model was the 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE. This luxury German SUV was redesigned recently, and unfortunately for Mercedes-Benz and its customers, that’s when the reliability issues came up. Before the redesign, the GLE was a fairly reliable car. Afterward, though, its reliability scores sank to the bottom.

Only 1 American Car Brand Is on Consumer Reports Reliable Top 10 List (motorbiscuit.com)

10 Most reliable car brands for 2023 according to Consumer reports:

1. Toyota
  2. Lexus
  3. BMW
  4. Mazda
  5. Honda
  6. Audi
  7. Subaru
  8. Acura
  9. Kia
  10. Lincoln

American Brands Top Their German Rivals in Large SUVs for 2023 (motorbiscuit.com)

9 Best Luxury Large SUVs for 2022 and 2023 | U.S. News (usnews.com)

1. 2023 Lincoln Navigator
  2. 2023 Cadillac Escalade
  3. 2023 Land Rover Range Rover
  4. 2023 BMW X7
  5. 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class
  6. 2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
  7. 2022 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
  8. 2023 Lexus LX
  9. 2023 Infiniti QX80

Thanks to that strong balance of features and specs, U.S. News ranked the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator above German luxury SUVs such as the BMW X7 and the Mercedes-Benz GLS. Both the X7 and the GLS have an overall score of 8.3 out of 10, which shows that they’re not bad large luxury SUVs by any means. It’s just that they have slightly more issues than the Lincoln or the Caddy does.

Interestingly enough, both the BMW and the Mercedes share a common problem, and it has to do with their infotainment systems. The X7 starts with a 14.9-inch touchscreen, while the GLS starts with a 12.3-inch touchscreen. The problems with these systems have to do with usability. The X7’s infotainment system has a learning curve, while the GLS’ infotainment system is reportedly “overwhelming.”

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, David said:

@Drew Dowdell @oldshurst442 @ccap41 @surreal1272 @smk4565

Interesting news as Consumer Reports puts out their updated listing of Auto's.

Only 1 Luxury SUV Ranks Among Consumer Reports' 10 Least Reliable Cars of 2022 (motorbiscuit.com)

the least reliable car on the list was a luxury SUV, and that model was the 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE. This luxury German SUV was redesigned recently, and unfortunately for Mercedes-Benz and its customers, that’s when the reliability issues came up. Before the redesign, the GLE was a fairly reliable car. Afterward, though, its reliability scores sank to the bottom.

Only 1 American Car Brand Is on Consumer Reports Reliable Top 10 List (motorbiscuit.com)

10 Most reliable car brands for 2023 according to Consumer reports:

1. Toyota
  2. Lexus
  3. BMW
  4. Mazda
  5. Honda
  6. Audi
  7. Subaru
  8. Acura
  9. Kia
  10. Lincoln

American Brands Top Their German Rivals in Large SUVs for 2023 (motorbiscuit.com)

9 Best Luxury Large SUVs for 2022 and 2023 | U.S. News (usnews.com)

1. 2023 Lincoln Navigator
  2. 2023 Cadillac Escalade
  3. 2023 Land Rover Range Rover
  4. 2023 BMW X7
  5. 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class
  6. 2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
  7. 2022 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
  8. 2023 Lexus LX
  9. 2023 Infiniti QX80

Thanks to that strong balance of features and specs, U.S. News ranked the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator above German luxury SUVs such as the BMW X7 and the Mercedes-Benz GLS. Both the X7 and the GLS have an overall score of 8.3 out of 10, which shows that they’re not bad large luxury SUVs by any means. It’s just that they have slightly more issues than the Lincoln or the Caddy does.

Interestingly enough, both the BMW and the Mercedes share a common problem, and it has to do with their infotainment systems. The X7 starts with a 14.9-inch touchscreen, while the GLS starts with a 12.3-inch touchscreen. The problems with these systems have to do with usability. The X7’s infotainment system has a learning curve, while the GLS’ infotainment system is reportedly “overwhelming.”

I take Consumer Reports with a huge grain of salt. Any publication that has Audi AND BMW on a "most reliable" list deserves a little scrutiny. 

• Agree 2