Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Very cool, GM raises 2022 Guidance and Expects EV Portfolio to be profitable in 2025.

GM Raises 2022 Guidance and Expects North American EV Portfolio to be Profitable in 2025 as Annual Capacity Tops 1 Million

QUOTE:

In the next three years, GM plans to move very aggressively toward EV leadership as EV adoption is expected to approach 20% of U.S. industry sales in 2025:

• GM will have multiple entries in pickup, SUV and luxury segments that represent about 70% of EV industry volume, including the Chevrolet Silverado EV, Blazer EV and Equinox EV, the Cadillac LYRIQ and the GMC Sierra EV
  • GM is launching a new digital retail platform with its U.S. dealer partners to enhance the shopping and purchase experience for EV customers and reduce costs to GM by an estimated $2,000 per vehicle
  • Five GM assembly plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico will be building EVs
  • BrightDrop — GM’s tech startup creating EVs, eCarts and software — is on track to reach $1 billion in revenue in 2023, as GM’s CAMI plant in Ontario launches full production of the BrightDrop Zevo 600 delivery van next year, and scaling to a projected 50,000 units annually by 2025
  • GM’s battery cell joint venture Ultium Cells will be operating plants in Ohio, Tennessee and Michigan by the end of 2024, making the company a leader in domestic cell production; a fourth U.S. cell plant is planned
  • GM has secured binding commitments for all the battery raw material it needs to deliver its 2025 capacity target
  • The company continues to secure its needs beyond 2025 with strategic supply agreements and direct investments in natural resource recovery, processing and recycling
  • GM’s EV growth is supported by a highly profitable portfolio of internal combustion engine vehicles in North America, including market-leading pickups and SUVs, great quality, and consistently high scores for customer satisfaction with dealer sales and service

5 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

If I was living in a Mediterranean climate, 

1. Summer, summer aaaaaaaaand....summer.

2. Spring and Fall

3. Winter

Buuuut...

All the old Greeks that I have talked to over the years, the ones that were born in Greece and immigrated to Montreal, and I mean ALL of them, they told me that Greece is beautiful in the Spring and Fall.   In the Spring, it rains and green greenery everywhere as opposed to the summer when it doesnt rain at all and its brown and hot. Like hot hot.  Autumn is just as nice as its not as hot, one could still swim in the water and relatively NO TOURISTS. Which was a BIG thing with those old school Greeks.  

So...me loving the summer for a Greece scenario comes from the experience of me being a tourist in Greece and not as an inhabitant and obviously only visiting Greece IN the summer.  Maybe Id have the opinion of loving spring and fall more than summer like those old school Greeks if I actually lived there.

Those old school Greeks - men with herringbone berets and women dressed in black - shown in yogurt commercials for eating yogurt every day and who live to be 100?

There must be a way to say "la dolce vita" in Greek, too.

Spring is actually very nice in the Med because the rainy season that is now behind them has the bougainvillea and other plant life in bloom, and the backdrop has green hills instead of the brown hills we see in many photos.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

women dressed in black

widows...   Not a very smart or appealing marketing choice for those that know the truth about Mediterranean women wearing black.   LOL   

There must be a way to say "la dolce vita" in Greek, too.

Maybe...I havent heard anything.  

We do have something close though.   

"Kefi"

for eating yogurt every day and who live to be 100?

I would contribute that to olives, olive oil, the Mediterranean sun and sea, but most importantly, the care free lifestyle they seem to strive for and enjoy. 

OPA! 

26 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Spring is actually very nice in the Med because the rainy season that is now behind them has the bougainvillea and other plant life in bloom, and the backdrop has green hills instead of the brown hills we see in many photos.

This is a +1 

The blue sky and the blue water just disguise and mask how dry certain areas look.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

All three countries and people resemble one another quite closely.   That makes that fact very interesting. 

Inbreeding? 😜

• Haha 1

No, no, and just hell no!

"The Best or Nothing". 

If this is going to continue to be the Mercedes motto, then I will always choose "nothing". There is simply no way in hell that ANY car company should be getting away with this and more so, customers should not accept this as a potential new norm. Ask BMW how potentially charging customers for Apple CarPlay worked out for them?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-eq-power-upgrade-ota/

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

No, no, and just hell no!

"The Best or Nothing". 

If this is going to continue to be the Mercedes motto, then I will always choose "nothing". There is simply no way in hell that ANY car company should be getting away with this and more so, customers should not accept this as a potential new norm. Ask BMW how potentially charging customers for Apple CarPlay worked out for them?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-eq-power-upgrade-ota/

WOW, talk about HELL NO. I hate that much of the software industry has become pay to play rather than buy a version and use it for a long time before moving to a newer version. 

This is just sucking your pocketbook dry and no, you should not have to pay again to gain that power. 12 months for a 23 -24% increase in power output from the motors and better battery management.

That is BS.

I have no problem with any company even GM selling a software upgrade that improves HP, Torque and battery management or even increased battery range if they found a better way to manage your auto to improve it. An upgrade fee that puts your EV on par with the newest version of that EV being sold that has more power, range, etc. is acceptable. 

The key part is that you buy it and have it for the life of the auto, not 12 months.

Consumer reports, J.D. Power and others have all noticed the downward fall of Mercedes and their marketing of "The Best or Nothing" is making it easy to say NOTHING!

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

There is literally everything wrong with them doing it, starting with bull$h! greed on an already $100K car.

I don't see anything wrong with them asking for it. They can ask all they want and it'll only stick around if people are stupid enough to pay it. As long as people are smart enough not to bite the bait, stuff like this will go away.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, David said:

Inbreeding? 😜

Haha.

Similar, but different enough.

If I was given an a-b-c-d multiple choice test on 100 Italian, Greek, and Iberian physiognomies (throw in the French, too), I'm thinking I'd get 70% to 80% of it correct.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

Im always on the business side of things.  But...

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't see anything wrong with them asking for it. They can ask all they want and it'll only stick around if people are stupid enough to pay it. As long as people are smart enough not to bite the bait, stuff like this will go away.

This is exactly how I feel. 

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

There is literally everything wrong with them doing it, starting with bull$h! greed on an already $100K car.

But this is how I also feel as well.  

"Earlier this year, lawmakers in New Jersey started the process of introducing legislation banning vehicle subscription services. The bill prohibits automakers and dealers from charging fees for the hardware already installed in vehicles."

And I applaud this.  

As long as people are smart enough not to bite the bait, stuff like this will go away.

But we wouldnt need laws preventing that kind of shyte if only people wouldnt be so sheepish in giving into corporations.

Yet some people will NEVER listen to what a government tells them. But die on a hill following conmen,  evil doers and greedy corporate entities whose CEOs are all three: conmen, evildoers and greedy mthereffers. 

Boy-shakes-head GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

Some very cool reading.

The US's largest solar provider reveals its fleet of Ford F-150 Lightnings (electrek.co)

The recommendations here seem to be pretty common sense to me, but I guess they have to tell F150 Lighting owners this to cover their butts.

How you can maximize your Ford F-150 Lightning range this winter (electrek.co)

Be interesting to see how the F150 gets through winter across the U.S.

58 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

@David

Per today's birthday list, happy birthday!

Did you arrive to this world on Thanksgiving Day proper?

Enjoy your day.  I am sure good food will be involved.

Thank you, yes, 27th of November is my birthday, same day as my mom's birthday. So, it is a special day and has been great so far. Thanksgiving was very special this year as my son and his new fiancé announced they were engaged.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and relaxing long weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy Birthday @riviera74

Sorry about the downtime today.  We had a fiber optic cable damaged right at the server. The server is remote and it took me a while to convince support to send someone over to physically look at the server.

• Thanks 2

I rarely watch tv with commercials, but over the weekend was watching a series on FreeVee about English country houses and the Browns-Texans NFL game yesterday, so I got to see new car commercials...the new ads for the Chevy Bolt EV and Equinox EV are good ('EVs for everyone') and the ads for the Cadillac Lyriq (one all red-tinted and one all gold-tinted)..it's a sexy CUV, looking forward to seeing one in person.     

• Agree 2