dfelt

Which Would YOU Rather Drive?

Which would you Drive?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your 1987 Auto Driving Option?

• 1987 Buick Grand National GNX
    • 1987 BMW M3
    • 1987 Alternative Auto

So in keeping to the spirit of seeing what people would drive. Here you have two choices, both 1987. So please choose which one you would drive and why? If you feel you cannot drive this, then keep it in the same Year and explain why you would rather have an alternative choice.

1987 Buick Grand National GNX

post-12-0-16844400-1463062495_thumb.jpg

1987 BMW M3

post-12-0-17507400-1463062494_thumb.jpg

1987 Alternative ???????

post-12-0-83068800-1463062686_thumb.png

Not a good era for cars.. but doing a little research I came up with either a Bronco(because they're just gnarly and really cool to me) or a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16(because it's just an awesome car and the competition it brought on with BMW was pretty epic. 

http://www.motortrend.com/news/13q1-mercedes-benz-190e-vs-bmw-m3/

It's a small car for sure at only 174.4 X 67.2 X 56 (L x W x H). For comparison the ATS sedan I'm looking at is only 183″ L x 71″ W x 56″ H and it's not a big car. I think the smallness would make me at home and the capabilities of the 3030lb car would make it a blast running to the red line north of 7000rpm. 

Ps. I don't know why it started spacing my lines like this but I don't know how to change it back.. It must have kept the formatting from a copy and paste.

42608303-D37A-40CB-A7B9-8F720AC7ADFE_zps

8FBDF4B1-EA8B-4D53-AA90-6F433A1FBE4C_zps

• Upvote 1

Super easy.

As much as I like the GNX, the E30 M3 is a car that started an entire genre, and with it a legacy.

If I were to choose something else, it'd be a Porsche 930. Maybe the GNX after that. Or the 190E that Cap posted.

• Upvote 1

I just saw this....

COOL THREAD!

OK...from the two picks we got...Id go for the Buick GNX HANDS DOWN!!!!

The GNX would almost always win in any 1980s comparo with me.

But there are other cars from 1987 that Id drive just as happily.

1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

cadillac-brougham-1987-1.jpg

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

kjxye9bjbhpvjghv07tw.jpg

1987 BMW M635 CSi

medium_m1-six-cylinder-also-featured-in-

1987 RED  Pontiac Trans Am GTA T-Tops and those mags....

Notice....that the GNX and the Trans Am have the same mags? And the Bimmer M635CSi is similar?

I love those BBS mags!!!

44%5B0%5D.jpg

^ An '81. V8-6-4 (unless it's a diesel).

- - - - - 

I like the exterior of the GNX, and the performance is awesome… but I canNOT get past the interior. '80s vehicles…. probably why I've never owned one.

Is this a serious question? 

Buick all the way. In fact, this is literally the only domestic from the 80's I would have (a close second to the Monte Carlo SS).

Is this a serious question? 

Buick all the way. In fact, this is literally the only domestic from the 80's I would have (a close second to the Monte Carlo SS).

^ An '81. V8-6-4 (unless it's a diesel).

- - - - - 

I like the exterior of the GNX, and the performance is awesome… but I canNOT get past the interior. '80s vehicles…. probably why I've never owned one.

The 1987 Brougham used the same grille design as the '81 deVille/Fleetwood with the infamous V8-6-4.  The '87 had different front turn signal lenses with the Cadillac crest and cleaner-looking side moldings.  The wire wheel covers were also slightly different.

As for the question, I'd take the M3.

• Upvote 1

^ That looks really really good.. but that wing is just a little much. Tone the wing down a bit and that's a near perfect Fox. Simple, clean, yep.

I would drive the GNX over the M3.  But if it was any car from 1987, it would be a 560SL, even though I think the 190E still looks good now.

RR170.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Chevrolet’s Retail Sales Outperform the Industry
      Retail Crossover Sales Soar at Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC; Commercial and Government deliveries up sharply DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported 245,387 deliveries in the United States in November, with large year-over-year increases in sales of Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC crossovers to individual “retail” customers.
      Chevrolet crossovers were up 16 percent, driven by a 59 percent increase for the Traverse, which had its best November retail and total sales ever. The Bolt EV had its best month yet. The Cadillac XT5 was up 11 percent. Buick crossovers were up 20 percent after Enclave deliveries more than doubled. Envision deliveries were up 2 percent. Buick’s new Avenir premium sub-brand is off to a strong start. About 30 percent of 2018 Enclave deliveries are Avenir models. GMC crossovers were up 11 percent, driven by a 4 percent increase for the Acadia and a 20 percent increase for the Terrain, which gained a full point of segment share month over month as availability grew. Overall retail sales were essentially equal to last November. Commercial and government deliveries were up a combined 7 percent, driven by a 30 percent increase in full-size pickup sales and a 35 percent increase for the Chevrolet Tahoe PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle). Total fleet sales were down 13 percent after a 24 percent reduction in daily rental deliveries. Total sales were down 3 percent.
      Crossovers, strong SUV sales and a record November for GMC Denali sales helped the company’s average transaction prices (ATPs) surpass $37,000 for the first time ever. GM’s ATPs were about $4,500 above the industry average and nearly $2,000 higher than any domestic competitor.
      Chevrolet Momentum
      Retail sales for Chevrolet were up 2 percent year over year, while the retail industry is expected to be up about 1 percent. It was Chevrolet’s best retail November performance since 2004.
      The brand’s strong year-over-year retail performance extended to passenger cars, SUVs and pickups, which helped the brand outperform the industry: 
      Colorado deliveries were up 18 percent for its best November ever. The Tahoe and Suburban were up a combined 12 percent. Chevrolet passenger cars were up 1 percent, with the Corvette, SS, Impala, Sonic and Spark all posting sharply higher sales.   Strong Economic and Sales Outlook
      “More vehicles are sold in December than any other month and we are very well positioned because we have momentum in so many segments, but especially in crossovers,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “When we close the books on 2017, GM will show very healthy inventory levels, significantly lower daily rental sales for the third year in row, and the best year in our history for crossover deliveries by far.”
      “U.S. economic growth has stepped up and we expect the momentum will carry over to 2018,” added GM Chief Economist Mustafa Mohatarem. “Employment continues to grow at a solid pace, wage growth will accelerate and consumer confidence just hit a 17-year high, so industry sales should remain strong.”
      Other November Highlights
      GM’s ATPs were up more than $650 from October and more than $1,400 from a year ago. GM is on track to close 2017 with significantly fewer vehicles in stock than it had in December 2016. GM’s November incentive spending was an estimated 12.9 percent of ATP, per JD Power PIN, which is in line with the industry average. Spending was down 0.3 percentage points from October and 0.8 points year over year.
    • By William Maley
      BMW Group U.S. Reports November 2017 Sales
      BMW Group sales total 32,087 vehicles in November BMW brand sales increase 7.1 percent MINI brand sales decrease 10.4 percent BMW Group Electrified Vehicles Sales total 18,416 YTD Woodcliff Lake, NJ – December 1, 2017… Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 7.1 percent in November for a total of 28,049 compared to 26,189 vehicles sold in November 2016. Year-to-date, the BMW brand is down 3.2 percent in the U.S. on sales of 271,432 vehicles compared to 280,339 sold in the first 11 months of 2016.
      Notable vehicle sales in November included the BMW 5 Series, which maintained its momentum and showed strong gains for the fifth straight month, selling 4,002 vehicles. November was also a particularly good month for Sports Activity Vehicles, specifically the BMW X5 and the all-new BMW X3. Sales of the BMW X5 increased 17.5 percent to 5,515 vehicles, while the BMW X3 sold 3,087 vehicles in its first half-month of availability.
      “November ended in a strong way for us at BMW. This week at the LA Auto Show, we gave everyone a view of what’s to come and now the November sales result has given us the perfect lead-in to what is always the most important sales month of the year, December,” said Bernhard Kuhnt, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “The indicators for the coming months give us optimism especially as the popular new X3 is now launching across the U.S., the new 5 Series continues building momentum, and BMW Group electrified vehicles accounted for nearly 6% of sales in November.”
      MINI Brand Sales
      For November, MINI USA reported 4,038 vehicles sold, a decrease of 10.4 percent from the 4,507 sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, MINI USA reported a total of 42,494 vehicles sold, a decrease of 10.3 percent from 47,372 vehicles sold in the first 11 months of 2016.
      BMW Group Sales
      In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported November sales of 32,087 vehicles, an increase of 4.5 percent from the 30,696 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are down 4.2 percent on sales of 313,926 vehicles in the first 11 months of 2017 compared to 327,711 in the same period in 2016.
      BMW Group Electrified Vehicle Sales
      Sales of BMW Group electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles increased 27.8 percent to 18,416 through November 2017 (YTD), accounting for 5.9 percent of total BMW Group sales in the U.S. BMW offers six electrified vehicle models in the U.S., including the BMW i3 and BMW i8, as well as the BMW i Performance models: BMW 330e, BMW 530e, BMW 740e and the BMW X5 xDrive 40e. MINI offers the MINI Countryman plug-in-hybrid electric vehicle, which launched in June 2017.

• By William Maley
      BMW previewed their upcoming three-row crossover with the the X7 iPerformance concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show. There is now talk about adding a coupe-like design derivative known as the X8.
      BMW’s head of development, Klaus Fröhlich told Autocar that the company is considering such a model, but there are  no concrete plans for this.
      “The sector is growing fast, so there will be opportunity, It is early to talk about X8, but one of the first decisions I made when I worked on product strategy was to take the X5 and make the X6," said Fröhlich.
      “There is room for X8 – especially in markets like China – but there are no decisions yet. Each car must have a distinct character, and these are the sort of areas that take time to evaluate.”
      Autocar reports discussions at the moment deal with the design. BMW is looking into either doing something like the X4 and X6 or designing a long-wheelbase variant that would free up space in the back to allow for a sweeping coupe roof. The latter option is said to be favored by many, but could make this project complex as it would make BMW create a new platform that will be a hybrid of the CLAR modular platform and the upcoming modular platform for Rolls-Royce.
      No matter which design BMW decides to go with, the X8 is said to have seating for four or five people and provide a number of luxuries for those sitting in the back.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      BMW previewed their upcoming three-row crossover with the the X7 iPerformance concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show. There is now talk about adding a coupe-like design derivative known as the X8.
      BMW’s head of development, Klaus Fröhlich told Autocar that the company is considering such a model, but there are  no concrete plans for this.
      “The sector is growing fast, so there will be opportunity, It is early to talk about X8, but one of the first decisions I made when I worked on product strategy was to take the X5 and make the X6," said Fröhlich.
      “There is room for X8 – especially in markets like China – but there are no decisions yet. Each car must have a distinct character, and these are the sort of areas that take time to evaluate.”
      Autocar reports discussions at the moment deal with the design. BMW is looking into either doing something like the X4 and X6 or designing a long-wheelbase variant that would free up space in the back to allow for a sweeping coupe roof. The latter option is said to be favored by many, but could make this project complex as it would make BMW create a new platform that will be a hybrid of the CLAR modular platform and the upcoming modular platform for Rolls-Royce.
      No matter which design BMW decides to go with, the X8 is said to have seating for four or five people and provide a number of luxuries for those sitting in the back.
      Source: Autocar
    • By William Maley
      Currently, Buick only offers their upscale Avenir trim on only the Enclave crossover. But that will be changing in the coming weeks as the brand has announced the 2018 LaCrosse Avenir.
      The LaCrosse Avenir stands out from its brethren with new mesh grille inserts, chrome "wings", 19-inch wheels (20-inch wheels are optional), and Avenir badging. Inside, Buick went all out by using chestnut-brown leather upholstery, embroidered headrests, and special sill plates. Like the Enclave Avenir, the LaCrosse Avenir comes fully loaded with a Bose audio system, panoramic moonroof, and the 3.6L V6 with 310 horsepower. Optional equipment includes all-wheel drive, a suite of active safety equipment, and Dynamic Drive Package.
      Pricing will be announced closer to the LaCrosse Avenir's launch.
      Source: Buick
      Press Release is on Page 2
      Buick LaCrosse Avenir Makes World Debut
      Buick’s highest expression of luxury expands to flagship sedan LOS ANGELES ― With the arrival of the 2018 LaCrosse Avenir, Buick’s new sub-brand expands its offerings and provides customers a way to experience the highest expression of Buick luxury, regardless of whether they’re shopping for a car or SUV. First introduced with the 2018 Enclave that went on sale in October, Avenir features unique styling cues, an extensive set of standard features and exclusive premium materials for customers who want more.
      “Nine out of ten LaCrosse buyers are choosing one of the top two trim levels — customers are signaling they want more from Buick,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “With even more content and an elegant look, Avenir adds a unique name and appearance for those who want the best of our attainable luxury.”
      Like the Enclave Avenir, the LaCrosse Avenir’s design details were channeled from our award-winning concept cars for a more dramatic look, expressed through a unique three-dimensional mesh upper and lower grille paired with chrome wings. Avenir script badging on the front doors and exclusive 19-inch Pearl Nickel or available 20-inch Midnight Silver wheels create a commanding road presence and complement the LaCrosse’s timeless design.
      “Exterior styling is very important to LaCrosse buyers, and its sculpted beauty withstands passing trends,” says Bob Boniface, global director of Buick Exterior Design. “For Avenir, we focused on maintaining the timelessness of the LaCrosse, while giving these customers subtle and tasteful details that elevate this car to a new level.”
      Inside, Avenir-exclusive details include a Chestnut interior color theme, embroidered first-row headrests and Avenir-scripted sill plates.
      Features available on other LaCrosse models come standard on the Avenir, including a powerful 310-horsepower V-6, nine-speed automatic transmission, navigation and Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound premium audio, as well as a panoramic moonroof.
      Additional available features include Ebony interior, Intelligent Twin-Clutch AWD, Dynamic Drive Package featuring continuous variable real-time dampening control and a suite of advanced safety features.
      LaCrosse Avenir will arrive at dealers in early 2018.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook