Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Finally Confirms Cruze Diesel For 2018 Model Year

Volkswagen has tainted the reputation of diesel in the U.S. So it seems a bit odd that Chevrolet is not only going ahead with offering a diesel in the upcoming Equinox, but also adding a diesel option for the Cruze. 

Yesterday, Chevrolet officially announced that the 2018 Cruze sedan and hatchback would come with a 1.6L turbodiesel four-cylinder. It will come with the choice of either a six-speed manual or nine-speed automatic. Official power figures are not out and Chevrolet would not confirm if this is the same engine found in the Equinox.

"People who drive diesels, love diesels. And so there is a customer base there that wants to drive this type of vehicle and have this type of performance. What we're doing is providing that option," said Alan Batey, president of GM in America.

Chevrolet is hoping to draw away buyers who were planning to buy a Volkswagen diesel vehicle and owners displaced by the current diesel emission scandal. But the question we have is can Chevrolet make any inroads? Will we actually see any of these vehicles on the road or will they just be sitting on dealer lots because of the evilness that diesel currently has due to the Volkswagen mess?

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Car Connection

View full article

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

1.6L Diesel. This thing will murder miles per gallon. I could see this thing with a light foot and reasonable speeds achieving 60mpg on a long trip.

This makes me more curious about the Equinox diesel.

Agreed.  My diesel Jetta has done over 60 (2015) this may well replace it in the fleet when vw buys the Jetta back.  Volt is also still an option.

Also hopefully GM actually markets this thing.  they did very little to market the last Cruze diesel, which is why it had production numbers that rivaled the 2 door Pontiac Safari wagons from the 1950's.

1 hour ago, SoCalCTS said:

I hope the CARB tests the hell out of this car just in case GM is trying to cheat the air quality rules too.

i doubt GM is cheating the liability would be obscene.  IIRC the Colorado truck went through an additional three months or testing for the diesel just to prove that it was clean.

24 minutes ago, ykX said:

Unfortunately it will fail, nobody will touch diesel now ...

Lots of VW TDI owners might want one...not sure what is going to happen.

• Agree 2