William Maley

Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Finally Confirms Cruze Diesel For 2018 Model Year

12 posts in this topic

Volkswagen has tainted the reputation of diesel in the U.S. So it seems a bit odd that Chevrolet is not only going ahead with offering a diesel in the upcoming Equinox, but also adding a diesel option for the Cruze. 

Yesterday, Chevrolet officially announced that the 2018 Cruze sedan and hatchback would come with a 1.6L turbodiesel four-cylinder. It will come with the choice of either a six-speed manual or nine-speed automatic. Official power figures are not out and Chevrolet would not confirm if this is the same engine found in the Equinox.

"People who drive diesels, love diesels. And so there is a customer base there that wants to drive this type of vehicle and have this type of performance. What we're doing is providing that option," said Alan Batey, president of GM in America.

Chevrolet is hoping to draw away buyers who were planning to buy a Volkswagen diesel vehicle and owners displaced by the current diesel emission scandal. But the question we have is can Chevrolet make any inroads? Will we actually see any of these vehicles on the road or will they just be sitting on dealer lots because of the evilness that diesel currently has due to the Volkswagen mess?

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Car Connection

View full article

1.6L Diesel. This thing will murder miles per gallon. I could see this thing with a light foot and reasonable speeds achieving 60mpg on a long trip.

This makes me more curious about the Equinox diesel.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

1.6L Diesel. This thing will murder miles per gallon. I could see this thing with a light foot and reasonable speeds achieving 60mpg on a long trip.

This makes me more curious about the Equinox diesel.

Agreed.  My diesel Jetta has done over 60 (2015) this may well replace it in the fleet when vw buys the Jetta back.  Volt is also still an option.

Also hopefully GM actually markets this thing.  they did very little to market the last Cruze diesel, which is why it had production numbers that rivaled the 2 door Pontiac Safari wagons from the 1950's.

1 hour ago, SoCalCTS said:

I hope the CARB tests the hell out of this car just in case GM is trying to cheat the air quality rules too.

i doubt GM is cheating the liability would be obscene.  IIRC the Colorado truck went through an additional three months or testing for the diesel just to prove that it was clean.

24 minutes ago, ykX said:

Unfortunately it will fail, nobody will touch diesel now ...

Lots of VW TDI owners might want one...not sure what is going to happen.

• Upvote 2

But will it cost $30,000?  GM loves price diesels sky high, and diesel cars have a short window until they won't be emission compliant.  I don't think they'll sell many due to price and lack of marketing.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Porsche's GTS models bring forth additional performance along with some additional creature comforts. The latest models to get the GTS treatment are the 718 Boxster and Cayman.
      The changes begin with the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder boxer engine which now features a new intake and revisions to the turbocharger. Output is rated at 365 horsepower and either 309 or 317 pound-feet of torque (depending on the transmission). A six-speed manual transmission is standard, while a seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission is optional. Porsche also fits their Active Suspension System and Porsche Torque Vectoring with a mechanical rear differential on the GTS.
      Outside, the 718 GTS comes with a new front bumper, tinted headlights, 20-inch wheels with a black finish, black rear apron, and black badging. The interior gets Alcantara sport seats, an Alcantrara-wrapped steering wheel, and the Sport Chrono Package.
      Porsche says the 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS are available for order with prices beginning at $80,850 for the Cayman and $82,950 for the Boxster. Prices include a $1,050 destination charge. Deliveries will begin in March.
      Source: Porsche
      Press Release is on Page 2

Sharper design, greater performance – the 2018 Porsche 718 GTS Models
      More power, exclusive equipment October 17, 2017, Atlanta, Georgia. Porsche is expanding the mid-engine 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman model lines with new GTS models. A newly developed intake plenum and an optimized turbocharger increases the output of the 2.5 liter flat-four cylinder engine to 365 horsepower. This is 15 horsepower more than on the 718 S models and up to 35 horsepower more compared to the previous generation of naturally aspirated Boxster and Cayman GTS variants. Like all 718 model variants, the new GTS derivatives come standard with a six-speed manual transmission. The seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) dual-clutch transmission is available to order as an option. A number of performance-enhancing options such as Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) including a mechanical rear-differential lock or the Sport Chrono Package are standard on the GTS models, as well as Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), which reduces the ride height by 0.39 inches (10 millimeters) compared to the standard suspension on other 718 Boxster and Cayman models.
      Increased performance with more power
      The maximum torque of up to 317 lb-ft (309 lb-ft on manual transmission models) is available across a broad power band from 1,900 to 5,000 rpm (1,900 to 5,500 rpm on manual transmission models) and further improves acceleration. When equipped with the optional PDK transmission both GTS models are capable of accelerating from zero to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. The top track speed is 180 mph.
      Characteristic GTS: black accents inside and out
      The GTS models set themselves apart through distinct visual differences. The Sport Design front fascia underscores the performance of the car. Tinted front indicator lights and taillights, model designations in black, a black lower rear fascia, and black tips on the centrally mounted standard Sport Exhaust System make the GTS models stand out. Black GTS designations on the doors and matte black 20-inch wheels complete the particularly dynamic appearance.
      Interior: Standard Alcantara® and Porsche Track Precision App
      The interior is also pure GTS. The chronometer of the standard Sport Chrono Package is centrally mounted on the dashboard. The seat centers of the standard Sport Seats Plus are made of Alcantara®. Featuring an embroidered GTS logo on the headrests, they provide particularly high lateral support and comfort. The steering wheel rim, center console armrest, and door armrests are also made of Alcantara®. When the optional Navigation Module and Connect Plus Packages are ordered, the standard Sport Chrono Package also offers the Porsche Track Precision App (PTPA). The app allows performance oriented drivers to automatically record, display, and analyze driving data obtained on closed courses on a smartphone.
      Market availability and pricing
      The 2018 718 GTS models are now available to order and are expected to arrive at U.S. dealers by March 2018. The base MSRP - excluding the $1,050 delivery, processing, and handling fee - is as follows:
      718 Cayman GTS     $79,800 
      718 Boxster GTS      $81,900

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Porsche's GTS models bring forth additional performance along with some additional creature comforts. The latest models to get the GTS treatment are the 718 Boxster and Cayman.
      The changes begin with the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder boxer engine which now features a new intake and revisions to the turbocharger. Output is rated at 365 horsepower and either 309 or 317 pound-feet of torque (depending on the transmission). A six-speed manual transmission is standard, while a seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission is optional. Porsche also fits their Active Suspension System and Porsche Torque Vectoring with a mechanical rear differential on the GTS.
      Outside, the 718 GTS comes with a new front bumper, tinted headlights, 20-inch wheels with a black finish, black rear apron, and black badging. The interior gets Alcantara sport seats, an Alcantrara-wrapped steering wheel, and the Sport Chrono Package.
      Porsche says the 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS are available for order with prices beginning at $80,850 for the Cayman and $82,950 for the Boxster. Prices include a $1,050 destination charge. Deliveries will begin in March.
      Source: Porsche
      Press Release is on Page 2

Sharper design, greater performance – the 2018 Porsche 718 GTS Models
      More power, exclusive equipment October 17, 2017, Atlanta, Georgia. Porsche is expanding the mid-engine 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman model lines with new GTS models. A newly developed intake plenum and an optimized turbocharger increases the output of the 2.5 liter flat-four cylinder engine to 365 horsepower. This is 15 horsepower more than on the 718 S models and up to 35 horsepower more compared to the previous generation of naturally aspirated Boxster and Cayman GTS variants. Like all 718 model variants, the new GTS derivatives come standard with a six-speed manual transmission. The seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) dual-clutch transmission is available to order as an option. A number of performance-enhancing options such as Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) including a mechanical rear-differential lock or the Sport Chrono Package are standard on the GTS models, as well as Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), which reduces the ride height by 0.39 inches (10 millimeters) compared to the standard suspension on other 718 Boxster and Cayman models.
      Increased performance with more power
      The maximum torque of up to 317 lb-ft (309 lb-ft on manual transmission models) is available across a broad power band from 1,900 to 5,000 rpm (1,900 to 5,500 rpm on manual transmission models) and further improves acceleration. When equipped with the optional PDK transmission both GTS models are capable of accelerating from zero to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. The top track speed is 180 mph.
      Characteristic GTS: black accents inside and out
      The GTS models set themselves apart through distinct visual differences. The Sport Design front fascia underscores the performance of the car. Tinted front indicator lights and taillights, model designations in black, a black lower rear fascia, and black tips on the centrally mounted standard Sport Exhaust System make the GTS models stand out. Black GTS designations on the doors and matte black 20-inch wheels complete the particularly dynamic appearance.
      Interior: Standard Alcantara® and Porsche Track Precision App
      The interior is also pure GTS. The chronometer of the standard Sport Chrono Package is centrally mounted on the dashboard. The seat centers of the standard Sport Seats Plus are made of Alcantara®. Featuring an embroidered GTS logo on the headrests, they provide particularly high lateral support and comfort. The steering wheel rim, center console armrest, and door armrests are also made of Alcantara®. When the optional Navigation Module and Connect Plus Packages are ordered, the standard Sport Chrono Package also offers the Porsche Track Precision App (PTPA). The app allows performance oriented drivers to automatically record, display, and analyze driving data obtained on closed courses on a smartphone.
      Market availability and pricing
      The 2018 718 GTS models are now available to order and are expected to arrive at U.S. dealers by March 2018. The base MSRP - excluding the $1,050 delivery, processing, and handling fee - is as follows:
      718 Cayman GTS     $79,800 
      718 Boxster GTS      $81,900
    • By William Maley
      If you need a distraction on this Monday, may we point you in the direction of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Owner's Manual and User's Guide. JL Wrangler Forums discovered both books on a public FCA Canada website and has provided PDFs of both for your perusal. 
      Is there any new information that can be gleaned? Yes.
      There will be a power-retractable hardtop. However, the top is not removable. A 4WD Auto mode that will shift power between the front and rear axles when needed. UConnect system featuring pages for off-road settings Max towing capacity of 2,000 pounds for 2-door models, 3,500 pounds for 4-door models.  The manual mentions both the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder and 3.6L V6, but doesn't mention power output. Thanks to an earlier leak, we know the 3.6 will produce 285 horsepower.
      Source: JL Wrangler Forums

View full article
    • By William Maley
      If you need a distraction on this Monday, may we point you in the direction of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Owner's Manual and User's Guide. JL Wrangler Forums discovered both books on a public FCA Canada website and has provided PDFs of both for your perusal. 
      Is there any new information that can be gleaned? Yes.
      There will be a power-retractable hardtop. However, the top is not removable. A 4WD Auto mode that will shift power between the front and rear axles when needed. UConnect system featuring pages for off-road settings Max towing capacity of 2,000 pounds for 2-door models, 3,500 pounds for 4-door models.  The manual mentions both the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder and 3.6L V6, but doesn't mention power output. Thanks to an earlier leak, we know the 3.6 will produce 285 horsepower.
      Source: JL Wrangler Forums
    • By cp-the-nerd

2017 Cruze Hatchback Premier (1.4T/6A)
      Odo - 8051 mi

We just took the Cruze on a 1,000 mile road trip (from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach and back) and this was my first extended, in-depth experience driving and living with the car for a week. I'll break down the review into sections if you want to skip around.

Fuel Economy (EPA rated 28 city/37 highway):
      *Premium gas/mobil 1 oil used. Manual recommends regular gas, dexos approved synthetic oil.

On our trip, we achieved 39.3 mpg leaving Baltimore and 41.0 mpg coming back, based on the gauge cluster. My wife reports that it's fairly accurate, if optimistic by an mpg. Hand calculation is pretty much out the window because we have to hit 3 different gas stations with wildly different pump shut-offs and then we burn half a tank around town for the week. Sorry, I'm just not that invested when I know we can trust the gauge cluster.

We did not hypermile whatsoever, just used cruise control as much as possible. We passed slow traffic and drove aggressively when the situation called for it. No sitting behind slow traffic or drafting large trucks to fluff the numbers. We drove 7-10 over the speed limit, with most of the journey being 65 and 70 mph zones.

- From what I can tell, 75 mph seems to be the 40 mpg cutoff. 
      - 60 to 70 mph is the sweet spot for crushing the EPA highway rating.
      - The gauge cluster's "Best 50 mile average mpg" indicated we set a new high score of 49 mpg.

Engine/Transmission
      1.4T DI VVT is rated 153 hp/177 tq
      C&D test numbers for the premier hatchback auto: 0-60 in 7.7 sec, 1/4 mile in 16 @ 84 mph.

In my experience, the direct-injected 1.4T provides more than adequate acceleration and feels peppy. The tires will peel out a bit when floored from a stop, and the engine offers strong torque for low-stress highway merging or passing even with 2 people and probably 150 lbs of luggage. I also drove with 4 adult occupants and acceleration remained adequate around town without revving hard. At full throttle, the engine starts getting out of breath above 5500 rpm.

The transmission is more eco-tuned than I'd like, but the logic is a far cry from the mess of GM's first 6-speeds. Downshifting to accelerate takes a bit of prodding, but the downshift is drama free with a progressive surge of turbo torque that follows. After 6 hours on the road, we hit stop and go traffic briefly and under 25 mph the transmission tripped over itself a few times noticeably enough for my wife to point it out. Can't really be replicated on demand.

Steering/Handling

The electric power system in the Cruze has good heft to it, and the predictable turn-in seems to mask the electric numbness.

It's easy to drive, which is a comment I found myself coming back to frequently in my thoughts behind the wheel. It's not sporty, but it nails easy driving and commuting. The tires are all-season performance firestone firehawk GTs in 225/45R17 size. They handle securely, but make a lot of road noise in an otherwise quiet car. Michelins or Continentals will make a world of difference.

Brakes

One of the weak points of the car is the brake pedal. It sits an inch further forward than the gas pedal, which is very awkward in use. There's also too much play between gentle slowing and heavy braking. It feels like you're pushing through the floor to stop quickly.

Mechanically, the car has 4-wheel disk brakes, and they stop the car with authority. Pedal placement and feel is really the problem.

Conclusion

My wife and I really like the car. I keep coming back to the "easy to drive" sentiment, fun wasn't the goal here and I already have a car for that. It's very happy commuting and eating up highway miles at 40 mpg. I was comfortable in the seats for 8 hours of driving, which is very rare. The acceleration power straddles base versus optional engines of other cars like the Civic and Mazda 3 without sacrifice to maximum fuel economy, which is a good balance that hasn't left us wanting.

With a set of good tires and perhaps a tune in the far future, this car will be hanging around well beyond the last payment.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)