It has been quite a while since Honda has offered a bonafide performance vehicle in its lineup (S2000 in 2009). So it was great news to hear that Honda would be bringing the next-generation Civic Type R to our shores. Today at the Geneva Motor Show, Honda pulled the curtain back on the production version.

Honda wanted to make the Civic Type R's intentions clear to everyone. The exterior comes with aggressive bumpers, hood scoop, 20-inch wheels finished in black, carbon-fiber-look body kit, huge rear wing, and center-mounted exhaust makes the Civic Type R the most aggressive Honda ever sold in the U.S. For the interior, Honda has fitted the Type R with a set of sport seats, red accent trim, and a serialized Type R plaque on the center console.

Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder found in the current Civic Type R. Output for this engine is rated at 306 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. As we reported a few months ago, the Type R will only come with a six-speed manual. Those wanting an automatic are just plain out of luck. 

In terms of handling, Honda is fitting their Dual-Axis front-strut setup “to minimize torque steer and maximize sporty handling,” by letting the front wheels steer closer to their centerlines. The Type-R will also come with a limited-slip differential, new adaptive dampers, and larger Brembo brakes.

Honda says the Civic Type-R will carry a base MSRP in the mid-$30k range when it goes on sale later this spring.

Source: Honda
Press Release is on Page 2

The Wait Is Nearly Over: New 2017 Honda Civic Type R Makes Global Debut at Geneva Motor Show

Mar 7, 2017

• First Type R-badged Honda available in the U.S. goes on sale late spring
  • Most powerful, quickest, fastest and most agile Civic ever
  • 2.0-liter i-VTEC® DI TURBO: 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque
  • Major chassis and suspension upgrades for track-ready performance

GENEVA – Honda today took the wraps off one of the most anticipated models in its history with the unveiling of the production 2017 Civic Type R at the Geneva Motor Show. The long-awaited Civic Type R, slated to go on sale in the U.S. in late spring with an MSRP in the mid-$30k range, is the first ever Type R-badged Honda to be sold on American soil. The Type R will feature a high performance 2.0-liter turbocharged powertrain, substantially upgraded body and chassis, and other track-ready, Nürburgring-tuned and tested performance components. The 2017 Civic Type R will make its U.S. debut at the New York International Auto Show on April 12, 2017.

"The fastest, most powerful Honda ever sold in America, the Type R caps off the incredible success story of our 10th generation Civic lineup," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president & general manager of the Honda Division, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "We're happy to inform our U.S. enthusiasts that the long wait for the forbidden fruit of Honda Type R performance is nearly over!"

The new Civic Type R, sharing the body style of the 5-door hatchback variant of the tenth-generation global Honda Civic platform, will be powered by a U.S.-built 2.0-liter DOHC, direct-injected and turbocharged i-VTEC in-line 4-cylinder engine with peak ratings of 306 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 295 lb.-ft. of torque from 2,500 to 4,500 rpm. The engine will be mated exclusively to a short-throw 6-speed manual transmission with rev matching capability – employing automatic throttle blips for smoother shifts and power delivery. A new single-mass flywheel reduces clutch inertia by 25 percent versus the previous (European) Type R and a lower final gear ratio is employed to improve acceleration response.

The Civic Type R chassis builds on the major upgrades undertaken for the 10th-generation Civic makeover with model-exclusive spring, damper and bushing settings, a new Dual-Axis front suspension setup with aluminum lower arms and steering knuckles for improved at-the-limit cornering and reduced torque steer; a new four-wheel Adaptive Suspension System with three-chamber dampers; a retuned and adaptive dual-pinion electric power steering system with variable gear ratio; and a helical limited-slip front differential. Mounted to the suspension are 20-inch aluminum alloy wheels shod with 245/30R 20 Continental ContiSportContact 6 performance tires. Decisive stopping power comes from Brembo 4-pot aluminum calipers squeezing 350mm (13.8-inch) cross-drilled rotors at the front. The rear braking system features solid 305mm (12-inch) rotors.

The Type R's scalpel-sharp responses are further enhanced by a body more rigid than the substantially improved Civic Hatchback on which it's based – with a 38 percent increase in torsional rigidity and 45 percent gain in bending rigidity versus the previous Civic Type R – enhancing steering response and cornering stability while mitigating body vibration and cabin noise. The improvements are made possible by the application of structural adhesive throughout the body. Ultra-high strength steel is used for 14 percent of the body structure, and the Type R has an aluminum hood, contributing to a 16 kg (35 lb) reduction in body weight versus the previous Type R, and a 7 kg (15 lb) reduction versus the base 2017 Civic Hatchback.

The 2017 Civic Type R is designed to reward the driver in all driving conditions, on the track and on the street, and features three driving modes: Comfort, Sport (default) and +R.  The driver selectable modes adjust steering and throttle response, transmission rev-matching, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the Adaptive Damper System. Utilizing new, three-chamber dampers, individual stroke sensors and three vehicle-G sensors, the new damper system offers a wider range of variability for ride comfort and dynamic handling response.

The 2017 Civic Type R will launch this spring in a single, premium-contented Touring trim. A 7-inch Display Audio touchscreen interface with embedded Honda Navigation system has both Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility; and should the driver ever tire of hearing the Type R growl, a 540-watt, 12-speaker audio system with SiriusXM 2.0, HD Radio and Pandora compatibility is also provided as standard.

Additional interior Type R features include heavily bolstered sports seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift boot, aluminum shift knob, aluminum sport pedals, red Type R driver's meter and serialized Type R plate on the center console.

The Civic Type R will be manufactured by Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing in Swindon, England, with its 2.0-liter turbocharged engine made by Honda of America Mfg. at its Anna, Ohio engine plant using domestic and globally sourced parts. Pricing specifics and additional details on the 2017 Civic Type R will be provided closer to launch.

Specifications and Features Overview

Powertrain

Engine Type

L-4 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC turbocharged engine with dual valve timing control

Horsepower

306 horsepower @ 6,500 rpm

Torque

295 lb-ft of torque @ 2,500-4,500 rpm

Transmission

6-speed manual transmission

Chassis

Drivetrain

Front wheel drive with limited slip differential

Steering

Dual pinion electric power steering with variable ratio and active steering

Suspension

Dual axis front strut suspension and independent multilink rear suspension with adaptive damper system

Brakes

Front Brembo aluminum four piston calipers with drilled 350mm (13.8-inch) rotor brakes. Rear brakes feature solid 305mm (12-inch) rotors

Wheels

20-inch aluminum alloy wheels

Tires

245/30R 20 Continental ContiSportContact 6 performance tires

Driving Modes

• Three-mode driving dynamics control with Comfort, Sport (default) and “+R” modes adjust dampers, steering, throttle response, transmission (rev matching), VSA (vehicle stability assist) and traction control systems

Body

• Increased body stiffness over current Civic Hatchback and previous generation Type R

Exterior

• LED headlights, fog lights, brake lights and turn signals

Interior

• High-bolstered sport seats with red/black suede-effect fabric
  • Leather wrapped steering wheel
  • Leather wrapped shift knob
  • Sport/racing pedals
  • Illuminated visors

Features

• Display Audio with Navi
  • Dual Auto HVAC
  • XM and HD Radio
  • 12 speaker 540-watt premium audio system
  • Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™

View full article

:puke: Why, Why WHY? :puke:

Ricers will love it, but ugly as they come and what the hell is up with having big ass holes on the nose of an auto in the lower corners? VW, BMW, MB, Toyota and Now Honda have all copied this same stupid look.

:nono::nono:

I'm sorry, did they say starting in the mid $30k range?  So with any options this is a $40k Civic.  And I don't care what struts and differentials they put on it, a front drive car isn't going to out handle a rear drive car, or deliver power as well.  $40k gets you a bare bones Alfa Romeo Guilia if you want performance and style, or a fairly well equipped Camaro or Mustang.

• Agree 1

Outside of a track, where do you see Civics in heads-up competition for handling? And what percentage do you think are used in competition?

Maybe, just maybe someone likes Hondas, and especially likes Civic Rs, and finds it so appealing they buy it, yet actually doesn't give a shit how it handles vs. a Mustang; better or worse, because they just like it and want to own & drive it. 

What a concept.

43 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I'm sorry, did they say starting in the mid $30k range?  So with any options this is a $40k Civic.  And I don't care what struts and differentials they put on it, a front drive car isn't going to out handle a rear drive car, or deliver power as well.  $40k gets you a bare bones Alfa Romeo Guilia if you want performance and style, or a fairly well equipped Camaro or Mustang.

Truth here....might as well build your own for that price!

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Outside of a track, where do you see Civics in heads-up competition for handling? And what percentage do you think are used in competition?

Maybe, just maybe someone likes Hondas, and especially likes Civic Rs, and finds it so appealing they buy it, yet actually doesn't give a $h! how it handles vs. a Mustang; better or worse, because they just like it and want to own & drive it. 

What a concept.

$40k buys an Acura TSX or TLX or whatever it is called these days.  A $40k Civic is about as ridiculous as a $55k Accord.  With manual only this will be a sales dog but Honda probably doesn't care since they sell so many base Civics.

14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

$40k buys an Acura TSX or TLX or whatever it is called these days.  A $40k Civic is about as ridiculous as a $55k Accord.  With manual only this will be a sales dog but Honda probably doesn't care since they sell so many base Civics.

Similar boat as the Focus RS but the RS at least gives you AWD.

They seem to sell well enough.

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

FWD doesn't put power down in a straight line as well either. So how many Civics are riced out and street race? A LOT.

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Similar boat as the Focus RS but the RS at least gives you AWD.

They seem to sell well enough.

FWD doesn't put power down in a straight line as well either. So how many Civics are riced out and street race? A LOT.

It is funny on the north end of Seattle up in my neighborhood you find lots of riced out Civic's and they try to race everyone. I enjoy letting them off the line at the green light first before flooring it and blowing them away in my SS. :P

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

It is funny on the north end of Seattle up in my neighborhood you find lots of riced out Civic's and they try to race everyone. I enjoy letting them off the line at the green light first before flooring it and blowing them away in my SS. :P

And I guarantee they will brag to their friends they smoked a V8 "off the line" Hahaha

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

And I guarantee they will brag to their friends they smoked a V8 "off the line" Hahaha

So True, probably brag about beating a V8 off the line and never state that they were still half a block from the next light when I am at the next light past that one. :roflmao: 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

The reason there are a lot of riced out Civics and have been since the late 90s, is they are cheap 2nd hand cars, easy to upgrade.  I don't know of that tuner market wants to pay $40k for one.  

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The reason there are a lot of riced out Civics and have been since the late 90s, is they are cheap 2nd hand cars, easy to upgrade.  I don't know of that tuner market wants to pay $40k for one.  

Agree, I think there are far better options out there for 40K large than this auto. Honda has lost sight of their value option.