Jaguar News: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace Hopes To Strike Lightning Twice

The Jaguar F-Pace has proven to be quite the success, selling 9,559 units through June and sitting on top of the company's sales charts. Jaguar hopes they can strike gold once again with the 2018 E-Pace that made its debut today.

Compared to the F-Pace, the E-Pace is about foot shorter in overall length. Many design cues from the F-Pace are here such as a tall beltline, sculpted rear fenders, an F-Type-inspired rear tailgate, and slim taillights. The interior looks to be directly lifted from F-Type with a similar center stack layout - including the grab handle on the passenger side. All models get a 10-inch touchscreen with the latest version of Jaguar Land Rover's InTouch Pro infotainment system and two USB ports - optional is each seat getting a USB port.

The U.S. will get a turbocharged 2.0L inline-four in two states of tune; 246 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque or 296 and 295 if you opt for the R-Dynamic. Power flows through a nine-speed automatic to all four wheels. 0-60 takes 6.6 seconds with the standard 2.0L and 5.9 seconds with the R-Dynamic. 

Interestingly, the E-Pace isn't based on the platform that underpins the F-Pace. Instead, it uses the same platform that you'll find under the Range Rover Evoque. Jaguar has made some changes to it to make it feel more Jaguar-y with a multi-link suspension setup for the front and rear, stiffer bushings, and a set of anti-roll bars. An optional Configurable Dynamics package will bring adaptive dampers to tune the ride to your liking.

The E-Pace arrives in the U.S. early next year with a base price of $39,595 with destination.

Source: Jaguar

NEW JAGUAR E-PACE ROLLS INTO THE RECORD BOOKS

– All new Jaguar E-PACE revealed with epic barrel roll
– Dynamic twist sets an official GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title for the Furthest Barrel Roll in a Production Vehicle5
– Final test proves E-PACE lives up to the Jaguar ‘Art of Performance’ philosophy
– Inspiration from one of cinema’s most iconic car stunts
– Attitude and stance come as standard with Jaguar’s new compact performance SUV
– Sports car looks with SUV practicality for the next generation of Jaguar customers
– Agile, responsive chassis and sports car driveline technology make E-PACE the hot hatch of its segment
– Next-generation digital tech keeps you connected, with available 4G Wi-Fi, and a 10-inch touchscreen as standard
– Standard all-wheel drive keeps you connected to the road in adverse conditions
– Priced from $38,600, customers can order and configure their Jaguar E-PACE at www.jaguarusa.com

(LONDON, U.K.) – July 13, 2017 - The new Jaguar E-PACE has set an official GUINNESS WORLD RECORD™ title during its world premiere. The compact performance SUV leapt into the record books with a 50 foot-long jump, complete with a 270-degree corkscrew-like ‘barrel roll’.

Demonstrating the agility, precision and performance of the newest Jaguar SUV, the feat was the final test for E-PACE after 25 grueling months of work across four continents to test extreme durability and that it lived up to the Jaguar ‘Art of Performance’ philosophy.

The Jaguar E-PACE is a five-seat, compact SUV that packs the design and performance of a Jaguar sports car into a practical and connected all-wheel drive vehicle.

Trademark Jaguar driving dynamics and design put the brand’s sports car DNA in a practical design, packed with advanced technologies to keep you connected. The E-PACE is the newest member of the Jaguar SUV family, joining the all electric I-PACE Concept and the 2017 World Car of the Year winner, the Jaguar F-PACE, which was launched in 2015 with a spectacular GUINNESS WORLD RECORD™ setting loop-the-loop.

The E-PACE exterior design is inspired by the Jaguar F-TYPE sports car and characterized by the distinctive Jaguar grill, muscular proportions, short overhangs and powerful haunches that give the vehicle a bold and purposeful stance, instantly communicating its dynamic agility. Jaguar sports car DNA is also evident in the fast sweep of the roofline and the distinctive side window design.

Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar, said, “Established Jaguar design principles ensure the E-PACE is immediately recognizable as the sports car of its class. Our new compact SUV combines the interior space, connectivity and security that families expect with the kind of proportions, purity of design and performance not usually associated with such a practical vehicle.”

The E-PACE completed its world record jump at ExCeL in London – one of only a handful of venues in the UK big enough to accommodate the 525-foot run-up and run-off, vital for the 50-foot leap. Behind the wheel was stunt driver Terry Grant, who has completed stunts on many film sets and holds an impressive 21 GUINNESS WORLD RECORD™ titles.

Grant said, “As far as I am aware, no production car has ever cleanly completed a bona-fide barrel roll and therefore it has always been an ambition of mine to perform one ever since I was a boy. After driving the Jaguar F-PACE in the record-breaking loop-the-loop, it has been amazing to help launch the next chapter of the PACE family in an even more dramatic dynamic feat.”

Unsurprisingly, the barrel roll is not one to be tried at home. Months of testing and analysis were completed to fine-tune the stunt, including achieving precisely the correct speed of run-up. The ramps were modeled extensively using CAD before any jumps took place. Terry experienced a G-Force of 5.5 during the 270 degree twist, and required a 525-foot run up to hit the air at the correct speed.

Guinness World Record™ adjudicator Pravin Patel said, “This amazing feat really was a sight to behold.
While I’ve seen the barrel roll stunt in film, witnessing this incredible feat in real life was something pretty
special. Congratulations to Terry and Jaguar for setting another epic Guinness World Record ™ title.”
The reveal of the E-PACE was followed by a spectacular musical performance by Pete Tong & The
Heritage Orchestra who presented the now legendary Ibiza Classics.

As a celebration of the new Jaguar
E-PACE, Pete collaborated with singer-songwriter Raye to perform “You Don’t Know Me” by Jax Jones -
a hit that features Raye and has over 230 million plays on Spotify and over 130 million YouTube views.
Tong said, "I've been working with the Heritage Orchestra for the past couple of years but this is the first
time I've been involved in something like this, it's very exciting and I'm glad to be a part of it! Jaguar
breaking the Guinness World Record for the barrel roll was mind-blowing. This creative approach to
revealing the new Jaguar E-PACE was the inspiration behind the collaboration between myself and Raye
and we are now planning to put the track on my new album."

The Jaguar E-PACE: Connected, Intelligent, Agile, Responsive

The Jaguar E-PACE is connected and intelligent. A 10-inch touchscreen infotainment system comes as
standard and connects customers to their favorite apps, including Spotify. The standard InControl Remote
& Protect system automatically alerts emergency services in case of an accident and allows you to check
fuel levels and mileage remotely via a smartphone or smartwatch. Customers can also warm up the
vehicle or cool it down via their smartphone as part of this system.

Digital connectivity can be found throughout the cabin, ready for every need of the modern family. There
are up to four 12-volt charging points and five USB connections as well as an optional 4G Wi-Fi hotspot
for up to eight devices.

The compact SUV can seat five in comfort with generous rear legroom, while the large luggage space is
made possible by the vehicle’s sophisticated Integral Link rear suspension architecture.

The optional Configurable Dynamics system gives the driver even more control with individual settings for
the throttle, automatic transmission, steering, and, where fitted, the Adaptive Dynamics suspension
system3. The optional Adaptive Dynamics system is designed to sense driver input, body and wheel
movements and pre-emptively loads the suspension and chassis and adjusts the damping for improved
roll control and agility.

The E-PACE is available with the choice of two 2.0-liter turbocharged Ingenium gasoline engines. The
flagship 296HP Ingenium engine powers the sporting SUV from 0-60mph in just 5.9 seconds (6.4
seconds for the 0-100km/h sprint) before reaching an electronically-limited top speed of 152mph
(243km/h).

The Active Driveline all-wheel-drive system in R-Dynamic models is a technological first for Jaguar. The
intelligent set-up combines all-wheel drive traction with Jaguar’s unmistakable rear-wheel-drive feel. The
system’s torque-biasing capability delivers added stability and dynamics in varying conditions and
weather.

The E-PACE features the very latest driver assistance technologies as standard equipment. A stereo
camera underpins the advanced Autonomous Emergency Braking system, which supports Lane Keep
Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition, as well as the Intelligent Speed Limiter and Driver Condition Monitor
systems. Front and rear parking aids are also standard.

The camera also combines with the electric power assisted steering system and rear radars to deliver a
Blind Spot Assist function, to help reduce the risk of sideswipe collisions on multi-lane roads. A new
Forward Traffic Detection system also warns drivers of approaching vehicles at junctions where visibility
is restricted.

The E-PACE is the first Jaguar vehicle to feature the company’s next-generation Head-Up Display
technology. The advanced display can project up to 66 percent more information onto the windshield
using large, full-color graphics with enhanced clarity. Essential information including vehicle speed and
navigation directions are in full view at all times, with alerts and updates for the infotainment and
convenience features all projected in the driver’s eyeline.

An optional 12.3-inch full color digital instrument panel and choice of two premium audio systems
developed with Meridian™ put the E-PACE on a par with its class when it comes to interior technology.
The E-PACE is also available with Jaguar’s innovative wearable Activity Key. The waterproof and
shockproof wristband has an integrated transponder, allowing the driver to lock the main key inside the
vehicle when enjoying outdoor pursuits such as running or cycling.

Whenever the Activity Key is activated, by holding the wristband up to the upper edge of the license plate
surround on the tailgate, any conventional key fobs left inside the vehicle are disabled.

Jaguar Land Rover has confirmed that the newest member of its Jaguar PACE family, the E-PACE, will
be manufactured in Europe and Asia to satisfy expected customer demand for the compact SUV. From
late 2017, the Jaguar E-PACE will be the first vehicle to be produced as part of Jaguar Land Rover’s
contract manufacturing agreement with Magna Steyr, an operating unit of Magna Inc, in Austria. It will be
joined by the all-electric Jaguar I-PACE from 2018. The Jaguar E-PACE will be also be manufactured at
Chery Jaguar Land Rover’s state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Changshu exclusively for Chinese
customers.

View full article

• Agree 1

The thing that I realized about Jag is they have their naming scheme out of whack..everyone else uses X to signify crossover---X3, X5, QX, etc but because of historic naming like XJ and XK their cars have the X prefix...

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The thing that I realized about Jag is they have their naming scheme out of whack..everyone else uses X to signify crossover---X3, X5, QX, etc but because of historic naming like XJ and XK their cars have the X prefix...

You don't really favor that sort of unilateral conformity, do you? Personally, I loathe it.
I have no interest in Jaguars but I'll tip my cap to any resistance to homogenization.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You don't really favor that sort of unilateral conformity, do you? Personally, I loathe it.
I have no interest in Jaguars but I'll tip my cap to any resistance to homogenization.

Nah, I was being facetious...pointing out the incongruity relative to the competition..though I do wonder if some prospective customers are confused when they discover the XE, XF, etc aren't crossovers... 

Wow.  As I suspected, the F-Pace keeps Jaguar relevant by being their best-selling vehicle.  Now they release a little brother to the most popular model in the lineup.  An E-Pace starting around $40K puts it just above Buick Envision territory given the similarities in size.  In this increasingly crowded luxury CUV space, I wonder how the E-Pace will stand out these days.

15 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I understand this but hate it if they did follow that just to be like everyone else. I do think they could have used the e for their pure electric line rather than i. Why not call this model the i-pace and their pure ev e-pace which ties into electricity. Or they could have called it J-Pace for their EV since Joules is a part of the EV culture. I just wish more thought would go into the names.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I understand this but hate it if they did follow that just to be like everyone else. I do think they could have used the e for their pure electric line rather than i. Why not call this model the i-pace and their pure ev e-pace which ties into electricity. Or they could have called it J-Pace for their EV since Joules is a part of the EV culture. I just wish more thought would go into the names.

J-Pace is a cool idea... yeah, the 'e-' prefix would seem appropriate for a pure electric...the 'i' prefix makes me think of Apple products. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

J-Pace is a cool idea... yeah, the 'e-' prefix would seem appropriate for a pure electric...the 'i' prefix makes me think of Apple products. 

Yea, they might get sued by Apple for using their i designation! :P 

J-Pace would have to be the full size crossover since the XJ is the full size sedan.  Rumor is the XJ will be dropped due to poor sales.  Jaguar will probably have more crossovers than cars in a couple years, interesting since they are the car division and Land Rover is the SUV side, but it goes to show how much people want crossovers.