2017 Tokyo Motor Show: Mazda Kai and Vision Coupe Previews What's In Store

Mazda might be taking home the best concepts of the Tokyo Motor Show with the Kai and Vision Coupe. These two concepts that debut today gives us a sneak peek into what Mazda has planned for the future in terms of design and technology.

The Kai is a preview of the next-generation 3 compact and features a more refined take on the Kodo design language. The body is much smoother with less of the origami-folds found on most of Mazda's lineup. The front end is similar to the CX-5 with a large grille and slim headlights. Move towards the side to see a slightly narrower area of glass and a thicker C-Pillar.

Inside, Mazda's designers went for a minimalistic look with a simple center console design and the infotainment system blended into the dash. Power comes from Mazda's upcoming Skyactiv-X engine that uses compression ignition like a diesel to ignite the gasoline.

Then there is the stunning Vision Coupe which is heavily influenced by the RX-Vision concept from 2015. Like the Kai concept, the Vision Coupe has a very clean look. Mazda describes the concept’s shape as having the “’golden ratio’ of classic coupe proportions,” meaning a long, flowing front and a short rear. One interesting design trait is the cab is pushed way back. The interior features a minimalistic appearance but comes with some nice touches such as wood trim and leather upholstery.

No mention of a powertrain for the Vision Coupe, but it is safe to assume that it isn't a rotary engine.

Source: Mazda
Press Release is on Page 2

MAZDA UNVEILS KAI CONCEPT AND VISION COUPE AT TOKYO MOTOR SHOW

October 24, 2017

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation unveiled two concept models, the Mazda KAI CONCEPT and the Mazda VISION COUPE at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show today. Organized by the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, the show will be open to the public from Oct. 28 through Nov. 5. Mazda has scheduled a press conference for 9:40 p.m. PDT (1:40 p.m. JST) today.

The Mazda KAI CONCEPT compact hatchback heralds a new generation of Mazda cars. Featuring the next-generation SKYACTIV-X gasoline engine, SKYACTIV-Vehicle Architecture and a more mature expression of the KODO design language, the model embodies the technology, engineering and design concepts that will define the next generation of Mazda cars. Refinements in all areas of dynamic performance have produced a dramatically quieter, more comfortable ride and an enhanced performance feel. The KAI CONCEPT features muscular, solid proportions and its form is brought to life by a delicate flow of reflections over the body sides.

The VISION COUPE represents Mazda’s design vision for next-generation models; a more mature expression of KODO applies a Japanese aesthetic to achieve more elegant and premium styling. The exterior features a “one motion” form that exudes a sense of speed and the interior combines three-dimensional depth with a strong longitudinal axis to create a relaxed space that maintains a sense of speed.

In line with its “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030” long-term vision for technology development, Mazda aims to use the fundamental appeal of the automobile – driving pleasure – to inspire people, enrich society and help bring about a beautiful earth. By offering an experience of car ownership that celebrates driving, the company hopes to enrich lives and build a strong bond with customers.

View full article

Count me in the group that disagrees with this minimalist approach to auto's and the bland style of this Kai and Vision auto's.

Not impressed nor is there a desire to want to drive it. Looks like they are just trying to get a needle shape to drive through the air.

13 minutes ago, ykX said:

I love it.  I think Mazda has one of the, if not the most great looking designs currently on the market.

Glad you like it, you're welcome to have all the Big Mouth Enima ball cars from Mazda. :P 

I like it really well also. I find this vastly superior to the Retro look of cars like the Mustang, which has gotten really old IMHO.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

16 minutes ago, ykX said:

You mean like this?

Cadillac-Escala-concept-front-end-2.jpg

large.59f084ff6c24a_MazdaVisionCoupeConc

I think Mazda did it much better.

True front end also leaves some to be desired, but I am talking more of the 3/4 look and side profile where it has a very different look. Even then right now pretty much the whole auto industry has lost their mojo for design language in regards to cars IMHO.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Count me in the group that disagrees with this minimalist approach to auto's and the bland style of this Kai and Vision auto's.

Not impressed nor is there a desire to want to drive it. Looks like they are just trying to get a needle shape to drive through the air.

Count me in the group of people who find it refreshing to not have fifty million buttons and overwrought interior designs that were drawn up by the Ray Charles School of Automotive Design. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Count me in the group of people who find it refreshing to not have fifty million buttons and overwrought interior designs that were drawn up by the Ray Charles School of Automotive Design. 

Yes, we have seen the overkill of death by buttons too. The interior I could live with, the exterior just is a no go for me.

27 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yes, we have seen the overkill of death by buttons too. The interior I could live with, the exterior just is a no go for me.

I think it looks great for same reason as the interior. So much design overkill out there with no real lasting appeal. This is a refreshing break from the usually overdone BS. 

• Agree 3